shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
@sassegemz be forewarned, Moissanite can be very addicting once you fall in love:kiss2: with it! While I still love diamonds, I could never afford a 9mm RB or OEC in a diamond but in Moissanite, I can!:dance: I have many Moissanite pieces and it is the one that I collect now more than diamonds because I can have the look of a perfect diamond (colorless and flawless) at a fraction of the price! With Moissanite the affordable pricing means you also get to explore different cuts! It's a WIN-WIN!

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My special step cut came today. I like it very much but the pics are crap. It is not glassy looking IRL but my lighting right now stinks since it is dusk. Maybe better ones tomorrow. The cut is very nice and symmetrical with nice flashes under a spot light. The color is good and I ordered an F/G. I am including a pic of it next to my GIA L diamond in it's VC setting. It will be a fine stone to put in my empty solitaire setting. I also took a small video.

20180806_182852.jpg 20180806_182859.jpg 20180806_182901.jpg 20180806_182902.jpg 20180806_182904.jpg 20180806_183711.jpg

I tried to hold a light in my mouth and film while moving. Not easy but here is my attempt at a spotlight video. :lol:

I really, really love this! I cannot wait to see it set! :kiss2:

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
Fancy cuts are so much fun, and I honestly don't have the diamond budget for those, haha. I love seeing photos of the all the different cuts. A couple months ago, I was in the process of upgrading my diamond engagement ring and took a detour of the diamond resale world, and realized that I would not get near what I paid for it. While diamonds are beautiful, the whole value thing is pretty much out the door for me. I ended up upgrading my diamond engagement ring but was also interested in other pieces. Now I'm slowly starting to think that if I buy anything new, I might as well try something new and have some fun with it :roll2:

In the past, I have not considered CZ because of the hardness/long term wear (I'm super clumsy), and also the rainbow affect is a bit strange to me. Of all people, my jeweler (whom I have worked with for 10+ years on diamond jewelry) told me about lab grown diamonds. Then after some research online about those (still out of my price range), I ran into moissanite. The physical properties of moissanite seem to fit my lifestyle. Then I found out about Tianyu through here and figured that is a great place to start. Especially for a custom piece at a fraction of the price.

Now I need to figure out if my jeweler will judge me next time I roll in with my new moissanite pendant. :eek2:

I think you might be surprised at his reaction and you will get a seal of approval from him.=)2 My jeweler whom I have used for many years and created my custom diamond engagement ring has no problem setting a CZ, Moissanite or anything that I bring to him. Even softer stones are not a problem to him. I have read that some jewelers refuse to even work with Moissanite and I just don't get that!:cool2: It shouldn't be an issue for any experienced and well educated jeweler..

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for sharing! I’ve seen some greens on Emily’s instagram that look, but none that are paler. I’m hoping they just wanted to show off the more vibrant ones.
They also come in the green/lime colors as well. When you start getting in to the J/K color’s and beyond, you have to be very specific about what you are looking for. Ask for pictures and videos with the right shade.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really, really love this! I cannot wait to see it set! :kiss2:
Thank you! I do like it very much but it is going to take a little time getting used to a step cut. I think they did a great job on the cut. I love the tall crown!

Heidi2101

Rough_Rock
Premium
My special step cut came today. I like it very much but the pics are crap. It is not glassy looking IRL but my lighting right now stinks since it is dusk. Maybe better ones tomorrow. The cut is very nice and symmetrical with nice flashes under a spot light. The color is good and I ordered an F/G. I am including a pic of it next to my GIA L diamond in it's VC setting. It will be a fine stone to put in my empty solitaire setting. I also took a small video.

20180806_182852.jpg 20180806_182859.jpg 20180806_182901.jpg 20180806_182902.jpg 20180806_182904.jpg 20180806_183711.jpg

I tried to hold a light in my mouth and film while moving. Not easy but here is my attempt at a spotlight video. :lol:

So beautiful. Can't wait to see the final set!

steveholt

Rough_Rock
I just made an account to say Thank You to everyone for sharing the ordering process with Tianyu, and to @mrsgreeneyes for posting so much info!

I have sent an inquiry to them to get pricing on a few different sizes of stones, so it's very preliminary still -- but I wouldn't have been comfortable with reaching out had it not been for this thread and the Reddit thread.

Thanks everyone! :)

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair - Maybe list your ring as an old cut moissanite? I think the term "pinwheel" might throw off some people. ;)2

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair - Maybe list your ring as an old cut moissanite? I think the term "pinwheel" might throw off some people. ;)2

Oh you’re so right! Thanks for the idea. I’ve had a few bites but no takers just yet.

And I got your email and keep forgetting to respond! Sorry! My baby has been waking up a lot lately and I’m in a total brain fog.

Sezzwho

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous! How's the fire in that cut? What color quality did you get again?
Sorry I missed this! It's lovely. So sparkly. I don't find it too "rainbow" like i expected moissanite to be. Just a really pretty sparkle. Lol I like it so much I'm tempted to order something with a bigger OEC. It's so nice. I asked for F-G. Apparently they have F and G-H.... so I don't know haha. I suspect it's an F though.

steveholt

Rough_Rock
I got a video of the three RB stones I ordered, last night -- thought it might be helpful to share. They're all Round Brilliant "Forever One" DEF color. The first is 6mm, and then two 5mm.

The lighting is bad and there's never a clear focus on the front of the stone but I feel like, for the price, I'm going to be fine with these. If I wasn't putting them with other super white stones I'd have gone a little warmer, but these are sort of my test stones so if I'm happy with them I can always place another order later.

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
:clap:They are beautiful and clearly colorless stones! I think they look great and based on your description of mounting them with other super white stones they should look perfect. This video is actually better than some I have seen them do before. I believe that you will be pleasantly happy with them. If you decide to get them please come back here and once you have them in hand give us some photos of them and your finished jewelry piece. ;)2

steveholt

Rough_Rock
:clap:They are beautiful and clearly colorless stones! I think they look great and based on your description of mounting them with other super white stones they should look perfect. This video is actually better than some I have seen them do before. I believe that you will be pleasantly happy with them. If you decide to get them please come back here and once you have them in hand give us some photos of them and your finished jewelry piece. ;)2

Will do! I've ordered them and have reached out to David Klass about creating a ring based on an eternity band he did, so I'll definitely post pics when the stones are in, and again I'm sure when the piece is finished!

Inspiration:
dreamring.png

steveholt

Rough_Rock

And THANK YOU! I am happy with how they look, but it's nice to hear an impartial opinion too :) :)

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
Youre so welcome! :geek2:I immediately said "OOOhhh" when I saw the inspiration! That is going to be outstanding! Cant wait to see the finished product!:dance:

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
I may or may not have gone full-melodramatic when I saw the post on his Instagram by announcing to my husband that I MIGHT DIE:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkLwb9OlOOd/

:lol::lol:

:lol-2: LOL, I can see why! That is gorgeous and I love the way that the stones get smaller in size as it goes down the band. From the photo it looked as if they were all the same size all the way around.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I got a video of the three RB stones I ordered, last night -- thought it might be helpful to share. They're all Round Brilliant "Forever One" DEF color. The first is 6mm, and then two 5mm.

The lighting is bad and there's never a clear focus on the front of the stone but I feel like, for the price, I'm going to be fine with these. If I wasn't putting them with other super white stones I'd have gone a little warmer, but these are sort of my test stones so if I'm happy with them I can always place another order later.
They look outstanding! :love: And I suuuuuuper love your inspo ring - can't wait to see the finished piece!

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
After a little more research and reading this thread about 10 times (and other moissanite threads), I got a little ahead of myself and wanted to take advantage of combined shipping with my current order. o_O I'm fairly convinced that I will not be putting more of my $ into diamonds for now. I also figured that if I really dislike moissanite I still have the settings and I can re-mount with something else. Tianyu's prices are extremely reasonable for custom jewelry, even at this price it's still far less than buying pre-made and resizing to spec.

I have always wanted a vintage cushion cut ring, so I'm very excited about this.

Here is the inspiration pictures for what I sent them. Will be putting a 7.6mm OEC Cushion cut in GH color (as they had them in stock). They sent me the CADs today and now onto production.

sophia1.jpg
sophia2.jpg
sophia3.jpg

The CAD:
IMG_7109.jpg

... and a pair of classic studs with 6.5mm H&A in GH Color:
IMG_7110.jpg
Ella said that the rose gold bezel set pendant is done and pictures will come tomorrow. :D Will keep you guys posted.

In case anyone is wondering, their office is open Monday - Saturday and are closed on Sundays. Although I did get communication from Ella on a Sunday as well so they probably work a lot.
I’ve always loved that SS ring! Excited to see how this turns out! :)

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Update on this piece: I got pictures from Ella with the finished product. It took less than a week to complete.

2018-08-13 14.37.50.jpg
The back...
2018-08-13 14.38.17.jpg
Video

In the meantime, Ella sent me the 6.5mm H&A GH Color gems that will be going into my earrings:

The 7.6mm ACC in GH Color:

What do you think about the color? I'm used to I/J colored diamonds so I wouldn't exactly consider myself color sensitive o_O
Your necklace looks gorgeous! I love the rose gold. I think the cut of your ACC is outstanding, but it's hard to know the exact color with the way they filmed it. Best thing would be to have them take a pic on a white background or piece of paper. I think it's beautiful! :kiss2:

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I sent Ella a message, we'll see what comes back with.

The original SS picture of the says it's L color, which I would be totally fine with. I find vintage cuts and warmer colors dreamy (am I crazy here?)
Not at all! I also prefer a little warmth to my stones, and absolutely appreciate the lower colors. :mrgreen2:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
:eek2:
Update on this piece: I got pictures from Ella with the finished product. It took less than a week to complete.

2018-08-13 14.37.50.jpg
The back...
2018-08-13 14.38.17.jpg
Video

In the meantime, Ella sent me the 6.5mm H&A GH Color gems that will be going into my earrings:

The 7.6mm ACC in GH Color:

What do you think about the color? I'm used to I/J colored diamonds so I wouldn't exactly consider myself color sensitive o_O

Thank you for posting the video of the GH H&A’s! I plan on ordering some for a 3 stone ring, and I couldn’t make up my mind on the color. I think GH is plenty white! =)2

Moissamight

Rough_Rock
After a little more research and reading this thread about 10 times (and other moissanite threads), I got a little ahead of myself and wanted to take advantage of combined shipping with my current order. o_O I'm fairly convinced that I will not be putting more of my $ into diamonds for now. I also figured that if I really dislike moissanite I still have the settings and I can re-mount with something else. Tianyu's prices are extremely reasonable for custom jewelry, even at this price it's still far less than buying pre-made and resizing to spec.

I have always wanted a vintage cushion cut ring, so I'm very excited about this.

Here is the inspiration pictures for what I sent them. Will be putting a 7.6mm OEC Cushion cut in GH color (as they had them in stock). They sent me the CADs today and now onto production.

sophia1.jpg
sophia2.jpg
sophia3.jpg

The CAD:
IMG_7109.jpg

... and a pair of classic studs with 6.5mm H&A in GH Color:
IMG_7110.jpg
Ella said that the rose gold bezel set pendant is done and pictures will come tomorrow. :D Will keep you guys posted.

In case anyone is wondering, their office is open Monday - Saturday and are closed on Sundays. Although I did get communication from Ella on a Sunday as well so they probably work a lot.

I can’t wait to see the milgrain on your ring! <3<3<3

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Here are my two new rings from Tianyu - mrsgreeneyes gave me her blessing to copy her French cut. The OEC is 10 mm in 18 white gold & palladium mix with miligrain. The stones are all G/H and face up pretty white in person. The miligrain is not as delicate as my more expensive jewelry but I think they did a pretty good job for the price.

3C5D7CD4-0496-45EE-BE3F-6452825E4184.jpeg 63310B61-98E2-4DCB-A410-F997C073E46D.jpeg

Comparison to miligrain work from sapphire ring made in LA;
9994A2E7-DEAD-4281-B474-16E93C65668B.jpeg

Attachments

• 82C963E9-FBE9-437B-8B89-0EFB53D5F514.jpeg
    82C963E9-FBE9-437B-8B89-0EFB53D5F514.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 2BFE9901-9E57-484F-A384-F6A8393596BE.jpeg
    2BFE9901-9E57-484F-A384-F6A8393596BE.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 6C52B129-3774-4587-B828-2B22C4885D73.jpeg
    6C52B129-3774-4587-B828-2B22C4885D73.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 76
  • 8BE4ED3A-50CE-4495-B5F3-714B7C7E38B6.jpeg
    8BE4ED3A-50CE-4495-B5F3-714B7C7E38B6.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 73

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooh @swaye2010 I'd love to see more pics. I like the milgrain (I often find it too delicate and want to really be able to see it!), and the prongs are awesome!

N126

Rough_Rock
for MRB I'd do DEF. Does anyone know how much a 6-6.5 mm pair of hearts and arrows moissy studs would cost through tianyu? blew all my money on a 5 stone and now have to wait on studs!

I was just quoted $370 for a pair in 14k white gold .

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Let me preface this by saying that they did a really good job on the rings and it is a great deal for the money...but there are 2 small issues I have with the miligrain and I can’t really fault Tianyu for this other than some polishing.

So the miligrain is a little rough and does rub on the side of my adjacent fingers. It becomes more of a problem when I have the two bands together as it travels higher up the ring finger. The two bands together and with the small gap are coming in close to 7mm so this is something to consider if you do miligrain and possibly have bigger knuckles. The other issue is that I may have over-estimated the size of the side stones so the depth of the shoulders is wider than it should have been to be comfortable to accommodate the depth of the stones. I was guessing based on some inspiration pictures but I went with 3 mm, 2.5 mm and (2) that were 2 mm. I probably should have gone with 2, 1.5 and (2) at .5. I think this causes the shoulders to stick out further thus causing the miligrain to aggrevate my fingers a bit. I have mostly been wearing the ring by itself but if I go out, I throw on the band as well. I think over time it becomes less noticeable. I have found similar issues with even my diamond pave rings when they were first new. If anyone else is getting miligrain, maybe they could ask them to polish it a bit so it is not so rough. I might look into this soon myself.

I am including some pic’s from Tianyu since she has much prettier hands. The stone does look a bit yellow in the profile shots but disregard this as it is just the light. It looks completely white in person. Not stark white but still pretty white.

FCBB2879-32C5-4F45-B450-F5B807BE99AA.jpeg 89ED3F5B-E405-48F5-8D07-E74E880CCD99.jpeg 932F6ED7-BBF8-409D-92DD-3C77B7922F1A.jpeg F88466DF-8443-4B43-AF6C-15D971017DD2.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@swaye2010 I appreciate the honest review! Sorry to hear about those issues :(

I adore the ring, but it's unfortunate that it's bugging your fingers!

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
I sent Ella a message, we'll see what comes back with.

The original SS picture of the says it's L color, which I would be totally fine with. I find vintage cuts and warmer colors dreamy (am I crazy here?)

:clap:I am so excited for you and cant wait to see all those photos once you get your beautiful pieces in hand! Thanks for sharing the videos with us. I totally agree with you about the colors..For me personally I like the really white stones for H&A's or RB's but when it comes to Vintage, Art Deco pieces it has to be warmer stones all the way!;)2 So I guess what I am trying to say here is that is all depends on the person, the cut and the setting that it is going into. (Hope that makes sense, lol):mrgreen2:

Oh yeah, I was almost drooling over that ACC VIDEO!!!:P2 Oh my word, that is one gorgeous stone!

***And I MUST say this: I think it is wonderful that Emily, Ella and all those who are in contact with the custom orders take the time to answer all our questions, pick out stones like we request, take the photos and videos to show us. It takes time for them to pay attention to our details and attend to our requests and I think they do such a good job of that! I give them KUDOS for going the extra mile for the customer!=)2

Moissamight

Rough_Rock
Here are my two new rings from Tianyu - mrsgreeneyes gave me her blessing to copy her French cut. The OEC is 10 mm in 18 white gold & palladium mix with miligrain. The stones are all G/H and face up pretty white in person. The miligrain is not as delicate as my more expensive jewelry but I think they did a pretty good job for the price.

3C5D7CD4-0496-45EE-BE3F-6452825E4184.jpeg 63310B61-98E2-4DCB-A410-F997C073E46D.jpeg

Comparison to miligrain work from sapphire ring made in LA;
9994A2E7-DEAD-4281-B474-16E93C65668B.jpeg
Yeah, you can see the difference, but I thought it looked fantastic on its own/next to the French cut. I guess it’s more about consistency between jewelers. And I hadn’t thought about the milgrain poking surrounding fingers! I have an heirloom ring I often wear, but the milgrain is so fine/worn down with time that I’ve never noticed it. The milgrain pretty much stops between the side between fingers. Thank you for pointing this out, so we can all consider it when getting rings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results