shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a spess garnet.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2009 8:36:58 PM
Author: tsavvy
The color on that EC looks great to me. I just got a similar smaller EC from the same vendor and posted pix here. Based on the videos and online photos, the color in the one you are looking at appears a bit deeper -- I eyed that one, but it was out of my budget! Good luck
1.gif
Wow, tsavvy, thats an awesome looking EC!
30.gif

Thanks for weighing in!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
I have also found one which is supposed to be vivid in saturation. What do you guys think?

spessartite-garnet.png

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Oooops! Thats a wrong one! Will give it a try again, hope the pic comes out bigger!

GPS123564.jpg

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Somehow the photo looks unnatural to me, and doesn''t reveal much about the stone''s character. I find it difficult to judge, really.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look on youtube for AJS videos of spessartites. The colors are more muddy on the video of stones that he thinks are "vivid." I'm really getting sick and tired of various dealers not sticking to the GIA gemset system and coming up with their own grading system, and calling everything "vivid."

True vivid color is exceptionately rare in nature.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2009 3:39:14 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Look on youtube for AJS videos of spessartites. The colors are more muddy on the video of stones that he thinks are ''vivid.'' I''m really getting sick and tired of various dealers not sticking to the GIA gemset system and coming up with their own grading system, and calling everything ''vivid.''

True vivid color is exceptionately rare in nature.
Yah, you are right the colors on the video of stones will not win any awards!

However, having said that, this stone was recommended by Elvis from you know where, many moons ago! Can he be wrong?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2009 3:55:39 PM
Author: megeve

Yah, you are right the colors on the video of stones will not win any awards!

However, having said that, this stone was recommended by Elvis from you know where, many moons ago! Can he be wrong?
Anyone, even yours truly, can be wrong.
6.gif
Did I just say that!!?? I thought I was a "know it all." LOL!!
9.gif
11.gif

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Ha Ha, LOL TL!!! But I must say you do have a good eye for color & saturation! So, do you think I can consider this one? I am just not too confident with their description, whether it would be exactly that also IRL!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If interested, I would request additional pictures from AJS. My experience with them has been quite good. Ask for a side view and pavilion picture which they will usually be quick to supply.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2009 6:11:45 PM
Ha Ha, LOL TL!!! But I must say you do have a good eye for color & saturation! So, do you think I can consider this one? I am just not too confident with their description, whether it would be exactly that also IRL!!!
Thanks for the kind words. I would do what Chrono recommends since she has had a good experience with them, and that''s saying a lot. Chrono has a very very discerning eye for color.
9.gif
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, TL. You are too kind.
emembarrassed.gif
I am very easily embarrased.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/21/2009 11:28:40 PM
Author: Chrono
If the colour is truly great, I can forgive minor cutting issues. Colour always comes first in my book. If the window is small, it can always be ''closed'' in the right setting.

I see a lot of loose stones, but very few set stones. Could someone explain to me how setting a stone can close a window. I hear this a lot here, but have never experienced it. I''m wondering is this like a car dealer telling you that after the car is broken in it will ride better?

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2009 8:14:58 PM

Date: 6/17/2009 6:11:45 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I would do what Chrono recommends since she has had a good experience with them, and that''s saying a lot. Chrono has a very very discerning eye for color.
9.gif
2.gif
Ditto, totally! I have also noticed that you & Chrono has always been helpful and patient with newbies like me asking for advices, opinions etc. Much appreciated!!
36.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2009 2:52:54 PM
Author: PrecisionGem

Date: 5/21/2009 11:28:40 PM
Author: Chrono
If the colour is truly great, I can forgive minor cutting issues. Colour always comes first in my book. If the window is small, it can always be ''closed'' in the right setting.

I see a lot of loose stones, but very few set stones. Could someone explain to me how setting a stone can close a window. I hear this a lot here, but have never experienced it. I''m wondering is this like a car dealer telling you that after the car is broken in it will ride better?
i was wondering that myself...............

mz

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/18/2009 4:51:27 PM

Date: 6/17/2009 8:14:58 PM

9.gif
2.gif
Ditto, totally! I have also noticed that you & Chrono has always been helpful and patient with newbies like me asking for advices, opinions etc. Much appreciated!!
36.gif
You''re very welcome.
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/18/2009 4:51:27 PM

36.gif
Megeve,
You are welcome. I may not know everything but I am more than happy to share what little I know.
1.gif

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok, I had a look at the "closing window thread" , I think what is going on, is you are still looking right through the stone''s window, but instead of seeing a finger, you are looking at the mounting in the stone, which looks much more like the stone. There can''t be any magical way that the window closes. It''s still there, the angles on the pavilion are still wrong, you just are not seeing flesh tones, but in this case silver color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene,
Your assessment is correct. The setting gives the illusion of closing the window although it does not really make the window disappear magically or anything like that. The only way to truly close the window is to correct the pavilon angles but short of recutting and losing carat weight and having the added cost of a recut, setting the gemstone in an enclosed setting does double duty - the gem can be worn and the window is less obvious.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That window might close up. If you notice with my spess, it clearly has a small window on the vendor's picture (far right) because it appears to be standing up, and not lying on top of anything. However, in my two pictures (bottom and left), while lying on top of a background, the window closes up. I suspect the same thing would happen in a mount. I placed my spess on top of a semi-mount and the window closed up as well.

TLspess_collage.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results