shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a spess garnet.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 4:01:53 PM
Author: megeve

Date: 5/19/2009 12:08:29 PM
Author: Linda W

Date: 5/19/2009 10:50:59 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

TL, your information is always very informative. Thank you for taking the time for being helpful.
Yay, TL, thanks for your input. You have been very helpful! Thanks also for the links, great reads!!

All - Thanks so much for chiming in!
35.gif
I am still indecisive of the choices
5.gif
and will probably have to read and learn more before making any final decision!
Yay, can''t wait to see what you get; Megeve your dog is soo cute!!!
1.gif

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
yo harriet!-an early test for fanta orange garnet was just dropping a spessartite stone in a fanta orange soda & if the stone seemed to dissapear that was the fanta orange color-usually the mandarin orange is a little more richer in color & the fanta a lighter orange color-the yellow or brown is there depending on the perticular stone cut from the motherlode rough. your appraiser will b able to differenciate the degree of orange in the perticular stones. from my experience the best spess was found in namibia with the nigerian a close second-the material initially was very clean-very orange & appraised at the top of the scale-usually over $2000.00/ct. this is a good example of mandarin spess per one of my appraisers-my 2cents...

m801.JPG

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yo back, Steve. Thanks for the info. My photographer friend and I were mucking around with a few of my stones last week. He took a shot of my spessartite sitting on his orange-coloured business card, and the only difference was saturation.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 10:32:04 PM
Author: Chrono
Harriet,

I think our Loliondos are the exception. Many seem to have a yellow secondary - Richard Wise and Gene (I think he did on his website blog, but am not 100% sure) both posted write ups about Loliondos about how great the colour is, but that they show a yellow secondary unlike the original Namibian mandarins. In meeting with Gene a few months ago, I saw his Loliondo spessartites and they show a good bit of yellow. That said, my Jeff White Loliondo glows one mean orange colour. Therefore, based on my limited observation and reading, there are pure orange Loliondos but those are few and difficult to find.

I agree with you, Chrono. I love my spess from Gene... but it''s not that perfect orange like yours and H''s. But it is a nice stone, with a little yellow
1.gif

Harriet........ OH how I wish to see your spess ring!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Note:
My friend may have had the pick of the litter, but that doesn't mean all other Loliondos are inferior (e.g. Jeff's). Apparently, it's not unusual for rough to slip through the cracks. For those of you who are interested, hunt away but be prepared to pay top dollar.

Icekid,
I'm back home and will take pics tomorrow.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2009 8:37:12 PM
Author: icekid

I agree with you, Chrono. I love my spess from Gene... but it's not that perfect orange like yours and H's. But it is a nice stone, with a little yellow
1.gif
Icekid,
Actually, some of the yellowish orange stones are very vibrant, and I do not think yours is overly yellow. Some yellowish orange stones are too desaturated in orange color, but yours is not one of those. It's very beautiful. One not need have a Fanta orange spessartite to have a beautiful spessartite. Some of the yellowish orange and reddish orange spessartites are quite beautiful. Enjoy your stone, it is very special.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 9:06:52 PM
Author: Harriet
Icekid,

I''m back home and will take pics tomorrow.

H- YAY!!
36.gif
36.gif

t_l- Thanks! I do think my spess is nice, too. It is definitely a whole lot more orange than yellow. Obviously it is not tip top quality. But I certainly did not pay those sort of prices either.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Icekid,
Yours show a good amount of orange. The yellow is muted and only serves to bring out brightness in the spessartite. You did good on it.
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet,
We expect pictures tomorrow evening.
31.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
she''s home: i expect pictures NOW.

mz

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 6:30:37 PM

Date: 5/18/2009 6:04:24 PM
Ok, another option and is my last one!

What do you think?
Megeve,
That is a beauty, as is this one: http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=2568 I've bought from this vendor before and think that his pictures are fairly accurate. I'll be dropping by to see the pear, and can check out the emerald-cut if you like.
That would be great!! Thank you for offering!! I would love to hear your opinion and will trust your eyes!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 6:30:37 PM

Megeve,
That is a beauty, as is this one: http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=2568 I''ve bought from this vendor before and think that his pictures are fairly accurate. I''ll be dropping by to see the pear, and can check out the emerald-cut if you like.
Yay, thats a beauty! I have seen it on the website already but alas, I have size 4 finger and doubt I can carry that size well!!
7.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2009 3:02:05 AM

Yay, thats a beauty! I have seen it on the website already but alas, I have size 4 finger and doubt I can carry that size well!!
7.gif
You are talking to the wrong crowd. Both Harriet and I have size 4-ish fingers and we both wear 5 ct plus spessartites.
11.gif

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 7:54:58 AM
Author: Chrono

7.gif
You are talking to the wrong crowd. Both Harriet and I have size 4-ish fingers and we both wear 5 ct plus spessartites.
11.gif
HeHe!!! Chrono, good for you!
36.gif
However, you are talking about 5ct+, the beauty above is almost 7ct and with length of 14.5 + setting, I can''t bent the finger anymore, it will reach my knuckles!
31.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 8:37:12 PM
Author: icekid

I agree with you, Chrono. I love my spess from Gene... but it''s not that perfect orange like yours and H''s. But it is a nice stone, with a little yellow
1.gif

Harriet........ OH how I wish to see your spess ring!
Bah. It doesn''t matter as long as you like it.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
7.gif
It''d make a lovely pendant.
31.gif
I''m waiting to hear back from ParaibaI about visiting.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
what do you think? if you like it but have doubts, call richard and talk with him. he''s open and honest regarding the stones he sells. he''s high end but then so are the stones he sells.

mz

ps i''m prejudiced as my spess came from richard.......

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2009 1:41:39 PM
Author: movie zombie
what do you think? if you like it but have doubts, call richard and talk with him. he''s open and honest regarding the stones he sells. he''s high end but then so are the stones he sells.

mz

ps i''m prejudiced as my spess came from richard.......
MZ,
I love your honesty!!

I do think it''s a nice color, but make sure it has no brown in it. The stones from Nigeria tend to be more on the brown side than either the Tanzanian or the Namibian stones,

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that spessartite shows a lot of promise - worth taking a look at it in person.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I really like it and I love the way some of them look like glowing embers, but I have reservations about them in general. Orange doesn''t really go nicely with my skin tone. Neither does yellow. I don''t know why.
Maybe someone else will take it home.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I talked to Richard about that stone. He said it has a bit of a window. My guess is that it is a beautiful stone though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2009 3:13:45 PM
Author: kribbie
I really like it and I love the way some of them look like glowing embers, but I have reservations about them in general. Orange doesn''t really go nicely with my skin tone. Neither does yellow. I don''t know why.
Maybe someone else will take it home.
The very fine mandarin spessartites (if that''s what you''re looking for) are a neon orange, so whether your tan or fair, I think they''re gorgeous. I actually prefer neon stones on tan skin. It makes them light up even more!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
a bit of window in a spess would be too much for me..........something about the orange color makes it more obvious to my eye.
however, depending on how its going to be set, it might not bother you.

mz

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been admiring the color on this one for a while.
http://www.forevergemstones.com/proddetail.php?ProdID=1997

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2009 5:51:33 PM
Author: innerkitten
I''ve been admiring the color on this one for a while.
http://www.forevergemstones.com/proddetail.php?ProdID=1997
I''ve heard time and time again that you cannot trust his photos. I''ve had first hand experience with this dealer myself, and I agree.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Interesting. What did you get from them?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah Harriet, how about some pics :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I bought a cuprian. In the picture, it was a lovely shade of bright pure greenish blue. When I got it, there was barely any color in it. It reminded me of a washed out aquamarine. It was $1600 and around 2 carats. I sent it back the very next day. It took over a week to get my refund because he said he was traveling. I have read of similar experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results