shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a spess garnet.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,

I am new here in colored stones forum, but have been lurking, reading and learning quite a bit about gemstones. I must say you all have beautiful gemstones for me to drool
18.gif
30.gif
during my lurkdom!! Right now, I am in contact with a vendor for a spess but I don't feel confident enough to pull the trigger. Can anyone of you please let me have your opinions or thoughts why I should or should not buy this? Here is a pic from the vendor....

spessmangranet.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a bit included to the point where it might look sleepy in person. What does the vendor say about that? What are you looking for, regular spess, or mandarin color, or reddish orange, yellowish orange?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know anything about spess but depending on how it performs in normal lighting, I kind of like it because it makes me think of what I might see if I looked inside a volcano (the inclusions help because I see molten, burbling lava!)

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 5:08:45 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
It''s a bit included to the point where it might look sleepy in person. What does the vendor say about that? What are you looking for, regular spess, or mandarin color, or reddish orange, yellowish orange?
I was told that they are probably included crystals of another minerals and it is a Loliondo spess. That means mandarin color?
Vendor also said that "light inclusions which are visible but have minimal effect on the brilliance and beauty of the gem"

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 5:11:48 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I don''t know anything about spess but depending on how it performs in normal lighting, I kind of like it because it makes me think of what I might see if I looked inside a volcano (the inclusions help because I see molten, burbling lava!)
LOL!! I get the feel too, getting sucked into the burbling lava!!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I love these stones too. I''ve been drooling over this one

http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/GAR083.htm

Too bad orange really doesn''t look good on me.
15.gif

I''m not sure about the stone you want to buy, as I know very little so far, but I would trust the opinions you have gotten so far.
If you get one, post lots of pictures!!
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to my dealer friend, and from what I''ve read, the only true mandarin or "fanta orange" spessartites are from the mined out deposit in Namibia. As for the other major deposits of orange spessartites, the Tanzanian spessartites, as the one above, are a tad bit more yellow (but still beautiful), and the Nigerian are a bit more brown.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
TL, thanks!

I have another option, what about this one from Nigeria....

Vendor description: vivid saturation with intense lively glow, almost loupe clean! What do you think?

mandaringarnet1237890.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2009 5:53:33 PM
Author: megeve
TL, thanks!

I have another option, what about this one from Nigeria....

Vendor description: vivid saturation with intense lively glow, almost loupe clean! What do you think?
photoshopped.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Kribbie, wow!! Thats a lovely spess form JW! This forum rocks isn''t it!! with all the helpful advices and opinions!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
style="WIDTH: 0.01%; HEIGHT: 20px">
Date: 5/18/2009 5:54:00 PM

photoshopped.
Are you sure? I cropped the bottom part out!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, another option and is my last one!

What do you think?

mangranet.jpg

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
Take a look at Dan''s site, he has a few nice ones: www.customgemstones.com

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen their pics in comparison to the real stones, and I would say yes. The pictures just don't look "right" and a bit touched up. Perhaps someone else can chime in about them, but I just don't trust it for that color for that price. Now there are some people that love ajsgems, and they can give you more information. I will tell you this though, most dealers will call just about anything with an orange hue, mandarin or "fanta orange" spessartite garnet. True mandarin fanta orange stones are becoming very rare, and most of the specimens sold today as "mandarin" color have too much yellow or too much brown. Mandarin is a vivid orange color without yellow or brown, like the actual Fanta orange soda itself. It's a very neon and bright color. That doesn't mean you can't find an attractive spessartite in a yellowish orange, or a reddish orange, which are still very beautiful, but the actual mandarin color is extremely difficult to come by and very rare and costly these days.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2009 6:04:24 PM
Ok, another option and is my last one!

What do you think?
I looked at the video and that''s a nice stone. I also like the cutting and the clarity. I''m not exactly sure how vivid orange it is, but it appears to have a nice orange color.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The EC looks nice. I love spessartites.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The step cut spessartite looks quite pretty. Buying from AJS requires time and patience because you have to ask the right questions, request additional pictures and etc. If you do your homework, you can buy very pretty stones from them. If not careful about "reading" the pictures, you can also end up with duds.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 5:38:02 PM
According to my dealer friend, and from what I've read, the only true mandarin or 'fanta orange' spessartites are from the mined out deposit in Namibia. As for the other major deposits of orange spessartites, the Tanzanian spessartites, as the one above, are a tad bit more yellow (but still beautiful), and the Nigerian are a bit more brown.
Your information is incorrect. The quality spessartites from Loliondo, Tanzania, rival the Namibian material. Unfortunately, the strike was limited. I see absolutely no yellow in mine.

ETA: Have you actually seen any of these stones or are you merely passing on hearsay?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet,
I think our Loliondos are the exception. Many seem to have a yellow secondary - Richard Wise and Gene (I think he did on his website blog, but am not 100% sure) both posted write ups about Loliondos about how great the colour is, but that they show a yellow secondary unlike the original Namibian mandarins. In meeting with Gene a few months ago, I saw his Loliondo spessartites and they show a good bit of yellow. That said, my Jeff White Loliondo glows one mean orange colour. Therefore, based on my limited observation and reading, there are pure orange Loliondos but those are few and difficult to find.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 10:19:43 PM
Author: Chrono
The step cut spessartite looks quite pretty. Buying from AJS requires time and patience because you have to ask the right questions, request additional pictures and etc. If you do your homework, you can buy very pretty stones from them. If not careful about ''reading'' the pictures, you can also end up with duds.
Chrono is right. I have a bicolor tourmaline from AJS that is quite a bit darker in person than it was in the photo. Not dark enought to return, but still quite different.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not able to state here, in this forum, where I read that the Lolinodo strike has a stronger secondary yellow than the Namibian stones. However, I have read this in two distinct places written by reputable members of the gem industry. As Chrono indicated, there are always exceptions to this, as with hers and your spessartites. As noted, my dealer friend also told me the same thing.

Richard Hughes also wrote this article on spessartites. In it, he states that the Namibian deposit, at the time of the writing, "are in a class by themselves." The Tanzanian strike is not mentioned in this article, so I assume it wasn't discovered at the time of this writing.

http://www.collectorfinejewelry.com/buyers_guide_spessartite.htm

Here's an article by Richard Wise about the stronger secondary yellow in the Lolinodo material.

http://gemwiseblogspotcom.blogspot.com/2008/02/tucson-2008-new-market-realities-for.html

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 5:57:56 PM
Kribbie, wow!! Thats a lovely spess form JW! This forum rocks isn''t it!! with all the helpful advices and opinions!
I know, I think it''s so pretty. (Please buy it? ha ha)
Definitely! I love this forum. I''ve always loved gems but never had interaction with people who could teach me so much.
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tourmaline Lover,
Please note that Richard Wise stated that his observation was based on a small sample.

Kribbie, Megeve,
PS is a good place to start learning about coloured stones. Be forewarned that gems are an addictive and expensive pursuit! Above all, have fun. It's a whole new world. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2009 10:24:38 AM
Author: Harriet
Tourmaline Lover,
Please note that Richard Wise stated that his observation was based on a small sample.

Kribbie, Megeve,
PS is a good place to start learning about coloured stones. Be forewarned that gems are an addictive and expensive pursuit! Above all, have fun. It's a whole new world. :)
Harriet,
Yes I know he stated that, but I have read about the stronger yellow hue in these spessartites in other references. I am unable to cite them here. In the end, it is you that must be happy with your stone, which you obviously are. I'm just relaying this for informational purposes, so that people are on the lookout for stronger orange color when they search for these stones from this locale.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 10:50:59 AM
Date: 5/19/2009 10:24:38 AM

Tourmaline Lover,

Kribbie, Megeve,

PS is a good place to start learning about coloured stones. Be forewarned that gems are an addictive and expensive pursuit! Above all, have fun. It''s a whole new world. :)

Harriet,

Yes I know he stated that, but I have read about the stronger yellow hue in these spessartites in other references. I am unable to cite them here. In the end, it is you that must be happy with your stone, which you obviously are. I''m just relaying this for informational purposes, so that people are on the lookout for stronger orange color when they search for these stones from this locale.

TL, your information is always very informative. Thank you for taking the time for being helpful.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 12:08:29 PM
Author: Linda W

Date: 5/19/2009 10:50:59 AM

TL, your information is always very informative. Thank you for taking the time for being helpful.
Yay, TL, thanks for your input. You have been very helpful! Thanks also for the links, great reads!!

All - Thanks so much for chiming in!
35.gif
I am still indecisive of the choices
5.gif
and will probably have to read and learn more before making any final decision!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tourmaline Lover,
The strike yielded precious little facet-grade material. The top gems have been sold. Thus, it is not fair to compare what remains on the market with the pick of the litter. I know this because my friend was the first buyer on the scene.

LindaW,
Perhaps you two can teach us all about Pads? They are such complicated stones. I would love a Pad, but do not know how to go about assessing one.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2009 4:45:17 PM
Tourmaline Lover,
The strike yielded precious little facet-grade material. The top gems have been sold. Thus, it is not fair to compare what remains on the market with the pick of the litter. I know this because my friend was the first buyer on the scene.

LindaW,
Perhaps you two can teach us all about Pads? They are such complicated stones. I would love a Pad, but do not know how to go about assessing one.
Harriet,
Since you have the pick of the litter, I''m very happy for you, and I''m very happy you are in love with your stone. As I''ve stated time and time again, this is for informational purposes from what I''ve read and what I''ve been told from reputable sources, and if the pick of the litter is truly gone, than that''s good to know. Then people shouldn''t waste a great deal of time or $$$ on the remaining stones from that locale. Therefore, you must have a very awesome, spectacular, prize stone and wear it in good health.
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 5:05:36 PM

Date: 5/19/2009 4:45:17 PM
Tourmaline Lover,

LindaW,
Harriet,
Since you have the pick of the litter, I'm very happy for you, and I'm very happy you are in love with your stone. As I've stated time and time again, this is for informational purposes from what I've read and what I've been told from reputable sources, and if the pick of the litter is truly gone, than that's good to know. Then people shouldn't waste a great deal of time or $$$ on the remaining stones from that locale. Therefore, you must have a very awesome, spectacular, prize stone and wear it in good health.
1.gif
I find information on Spess garnet color a huge help; kudos to you both. Having lots of info on color is better than none.
1.gif

thanks for the links TL
35.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Tourmaline Lover. I will treasure it. If I may add to your information, the wholesale prices of Loliondos have roughly doubled since Tucson ''08. Also, I believe that the strike did not yield many big gems.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results