shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions Please - garnet with great color but window

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
I''d really appreciate some PS opinions on a 3.40 ct mandarin garnet. The color is fantastic (looks like Fanta), but it is really windowed. The vendor''s comment was: "Our opinion here is that it has minimal windowing for an emerald cut stone. The color is superb and it is difficult to find fine mandarins in emerald cut."

Here are a few pictures -- please let me know what you think. The first pic is a pretty good representation of the actual color.

3.4_MG_PI_6_sm.jpg

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Window #1

3.4_MG_PI_2_sm.jpg

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Window #2

3.4_MG_PI_5_sm.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't consider that windowing. In fact, I don't see a window at all in your first picture. What you are seeing in pictures 2 and 3 are the window tilt and seeing through the large step cut facet.

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Picture #4 -- trying to get the color...

3.4_MG_PI_7_sm.jpg

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 4:21:53 PM
Author: Chrono
I don''t consider that window. In fact, I don''t see a window at all in your first picture. What you are seeing in pictures 2 and 3 are the window tilt and seeing through the large step cut facet.

I looked up articles on window tilt (which all my stones exhibit to some degree) - but did not completely understand how windowing and window tilt vary. So, it is not a bad thing?

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
The color on that stone supercedes any flaw in the cutting there may be. Great stone!!!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
That color is fabulous. I don't see a window though... According to my (limited) knowledge, this is a window:

window-2-gem-blue.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has a large tilt window, but those are usually more acceptable than a face on window. Head on, I see no window. I think it's a really nice stone. Is the picture true to the color in real life?

Upon setting it, if you were to bezel it (that would be my suggestion), it would minimize the tilt window. I think it's a lovely stone.

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Chrono, AG, kribbie, and TL, for weighing in.

The color is amazing in real life - bright clear orange. The shot of it on my hand and the one with the black background are very close to the real life color. I had thought I didn''t like orange until seeing a few of the incredible spesses on here. It is the most expensive gemstone I''ve purchased, so your reassurance that it is not windowed is really appreciated. I''m not sure about the setting yet, but DH is on me to set something rather than having stones stacked in boxes in the bathroom cupboard! I''ll look at some bezel examples and will be back to request suggestions on the setting :)

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
tsavvy, I just wanted to say that your garnet has the most beautiful orange color - I''d love to have one just like it. I have an aqua asscher that does exactly that when tilted. Guess we''re both on about windows today.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wooo that''s an awesome orange! TL, the setting idea is great too-it would look fabulous!

MrsDoubleP

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful stone, cut and color! Keep that baby!
30.gif
30.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 4:53:01 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Upon setting it, if you were to bezel it (that would be my suggestion), it would minimize the tilt window. I think it''s a lovely stone.

Great color! I agree with TL- a bezel might help. But really, I think once it is set (in whatever type of setting) a lot of that tilt window will go away.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like how orange it is in the first picture. It would be a keeper in my book.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tsavvy (I like your screen name) - your new spess is gorgeous!!!

I love ECs, and had thought that nearly all of my EC gemstones had windows of some sort, until I learned about window tilt. It''s amazing how learning about the difference can assuage your fears. And, you shouldn''t have any - it''s a lovely glowey colour!

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Cellentani - thank you

TL - thanks for the setting suggestion - I liked reading the thread, your spess is great - I think you''ll be glad that you kept it. And your pear spess is incredible. I''m leaning more toward a prong setting with side baguettes or trapezoids.

packrat - thank you. I love the color.

MrsDoubleP - I am keeping it - thanks for the encouragement.

icekid - thank you (you also have a fantastic spess)

Chrono - thank you. You, too, have a fabulous spess and great taste in stones!

Lauren - it is good to hear that your ECs have tilt windows, too, since your gems are gorgeous :)

Here are a couple of potential settings (both Singlestone). I''d have the five stone setting with only the traps on the sides, but not the baguettes.

SS_2options.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful Garnet, the color is so vivid. its gorgeous, and I like the simple bezel idea.. but what you have posted is quite nice too.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful color and stone. I''d say it is a keeper.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
That window wouldn''t bother me at all with this particular stone. It''s beautiful!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous, it reminds me of orange jello. I also like the two Singlestones settings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results