shape
carat
color
clarity

Boy Soon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
If someone were to keep promising you something and you ask when it will happen and they can''t answer you, wouldn''t you feel a little frustrated if they could never answer? Would it bother you if you want to make plans for your future but when trying to have any discussion on the topic, all they can say is ''I don''t know'' how would you feel?

By your own account, you asked him on New Years "when will we get engaged" and he said "this year". That''s not "I don''t know". Maybe it''s been "I don''t know" in the past, and I GET your frustration with that. BUT.....that''s not the answer you got then. When it came up again recently, he said "I told you when you asked me on New Years - it will be this year".

I made the statement saying if he were to propose right now, I would have to say no, meaning this- obviously, getting engaged is not everything. We still need to have a plan of action for what we are going to do with our lives after that as well and that is a topic that he can''t seem to discuss. If there is a problem like that, saying yes won''t make the problem go away.

I agree - saying yes won''t make the problem go away. If, as you say, the problem is "we need to have a plan of action for what we are going to do with our lives and he can''t discuss it", there''s two possible scenarios. Either he can''t talk about it because he''s unsure - in which case you have to decide if you can live with an unplanned, unscripted, spontaneous future. If you can, great. If you can''t, then it''s time to move on. OR...the other scenario is he tries to talk about it as HE sees it, and you cut him off telling him what you will and won''t discuss. I can see where that would get frustrating after a while, and I can see where that might stifle his communications skills. If I were told repeatedly that I could only have a conversation with my husband on HIS terms, I''d likely not do a whole lot of talking.

Perhaps he doesn''t express himself in the way you would, but he''s doing it the way he can. Again, if that''s something you can live with and work together on, great. If it''s going to be a dealbreaker, then it''s time to accept that now and move on.

Geez, by your account, I''m just being an unreasonble youn-know-what. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut and continue feeling used.

By my account? Pardon me, but perhaps you need to go back and read my very first post in this thread. I''m SYMPATHETIC to your situation.....and I *said so*. I said I feel badly for the situation you''re in....which, as I understood it at the time was, he doesn''t know when he wants to move forward (or seems reluctant to). Read the post again.....I mentioned that sometimes, all you can do is evaluate what''s important to you and COMMUNICATE that to the other person. If they don''t find the same things important, it''s time to move on.

I didn''t say you were being unreasonable.....and I didn''t think you were at the outset. It''s not unreasonable to say "this is where I want to go with my life, and I want that to be with you. Do you feel the same, and where do you see us going". That''s a completely fair question. You need to know if you are wasting your time waiting for that which will NEVER come. I completely get it.

But, NY, he HAS answered your question. You asked "when we will be engaged", and he''s said "this year". I don''t know what else you want him to say that he hasn''t said. It seems as though every other discussion about future plans resolves around the proposal, and you won''t let him talk about that at all. So, if his plan is to move in after you get engaged, but he can''t say the word engagement to you, then how is he supposed to communicate that?

He''s given you an answer - *this year*. You need to evaluate whether or not you can live with that. If you can, then you need to let it drop, stay together and give him the year to make good on it. If you can''t accept that, then you need to tell him "that''s not definitive enough" and have him narrow it down into a timeframe you find comfortable.....say, for example, "this fall". If he cannot get more definitive, then ball''s in your court - and it''s time to move on.

Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut and continue feeling used.

That''s not what I said, and it''s not what I meant. Go reread this entire thread. In fact, *I* was one of those who supported your position initially. I said that I felt badly for your situation and that I could understand needing a more definitive answer on timelines, so don''t sit here and say to me "how would YOU feel" and that *I''m* painting you as unreasonable. That''s simply not so.

But as this thread has progressed, you *have* sent inconsistent messages, and I suspect you don''t realize it. I offered my observations in TRYING TO HELP because I can see how miserable you are.....and now *I''m* the bad guy for doing so. If you aren''t prepared to hear honest feedback, then simply say so and we''ll quit trying to help.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to wait until after to that he could be the best groomsmen and brother possible and help her to have the most fun and the best time on her wedding day. I psoted here to vent about his version of soon, just as everyone else does. Sorry, didn''t know I was acting so difficult.

No, I don''t want to break up with him. But it seems it would spare everyone if I did. I was looking for some suppport from other in the same boat, but now I know that I''m the problem, I guess.

Thanks to all who tried to understand. I hope all the ladies who should be getting engaged have it happen soon. It doesn''t look like that''s me.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Oh really now. There is no reason for such attitude. No one wants you to break up with him unless you want to. No one is judging you. No one thinks you''re acting difficult.

You''ve asked for advice, and people have given it to you. We all see things differently than you do -- we can read your posts objectively. We''re just telling you what it seems they are saying. You said in your first post that you were skipping over a lot of stuff. Maybe people have just misunderstood what you were trying to say.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2005 4:52:29 PM
Author: nytemist

I psoted here to vent about his version of soon, just as everyone else does. Sorry, didn't know I was acting so difficult.

I was looking for some suppport from other in the same boat, but now I know that I'm the problem, I guess.

Thanks to all who tried to understand.

You know, you are making this ridiculously personal, and you are looking for injury where ABSOLUTELY NONE was intended. You are acting as though folks are criticizing and judging, even though we've gone out of our way to say that's not so. People tried to help you sort it out, but obviously, that's not what you want.

Message received....loud and clear. Either agree with you *completely*, or don't say anything at all. Your terms or no terms. I'm beginning to get the picture much more clearly. If we agree with you, then we "tried to understand". If we didn't agree with every single thing, then apparently we *didn't* try to understand.

Got it. Too much drama for me. No further commentary forthcoming from this camp.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OK everyone, I think everyone got their feathers ruffled here (no disrespect intended) and I don''t really think that anyone was trying to be insulting. NY - you are in a very difficult situation and I don''t think that any of us has a right to judge how you have handled it, but I don''t think that thats what anyone was doing here, although I can see how it was easy to misconstrue things that way.

I think that the situation with your bf has become very convoluted at this point, and I think your reasons for waiting to talk are perfectly reasonable, although with how disturbed it sounds like he is I''m not sure whether waiting will help or not. Regardless, I do think that taking the time to prioritize what is most important for yourself and being clear about what you can and can''t live with will help. I do think that at least one more conversation about the time frame for engagement is going to be necessary, just to ensure you are on the same page, and you should know whether "sometime this year" is OK with you, or whether you need it to be sooner, or just need a more definite time frame, such as "6-8 months" or "4-5 months" or whatever. Also, when you say you need to have a plan, I think that is totally legitimate, but decide how much and what components are most important and what things you can be less clear on. For instance, maybe you need to have a definite move-by date, but you are OK with him not knowing exactly what he wants to do with his life, as long as he works hard to find a job that will help pay expenses in the meantime. Obviously these are just examples but I think that laying it out for yourself, preferably in writing, will help. I have often found this to be helpful for me - by thinking about what is and isn''t really important to me and why, it helps to clarify and let me pick my battles.

Anyway, I really just wanted to say that I think that everyone got offended in this recent exchange and I don''t really think that anyone meant to do anything other than express their own opinions, and so I hope we can all try to let unintended insults go.

Also, NY, I have the greatest sympathy for your situation and I really hope that things work out. Its important to remember that you love each other and thats why you are together in the first place and ultimately there will be a lot of bumps if you guys are going to stick it out for the long term together. It has been my experience (which doesn''t make it right but I''m trying to help) that learning to pick your battles and being totally clear about what you want and ultimately compromising when necessary is crucial. Best of luck and please do keep us updated on how things work out.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
hi nytemist,

This has turned into quite a fiery conversation today! I know this is an emotional time for you but sometimes other people''s perspectives (and honesty) hurts. I honestly don''t feel that the other people who posted today meant any mal-intent to you. Sometimes it''s only the people that really care for your well-being that will not sugar coat it for you.

It seems like you know that the problems are now not solely in the engagement realm. I also understand that when a BF says "in the next year" it''s hard to not keep pushing to find out a small time range. I''m sure there are lots of ladies on this board who keep asking their BF''s when, when...WHEN?!
3.gif

I still think it''s great that you are being honest with yourself about the issues that need to be resolved before continuing onto an engagement and marriage. It''s also a plus that you can talk to his sister (I am also really good friends with my FI''s sister) just make sure that she knows the problem is more than just "the ring."

I hope you still feel comfortable posting and know that we will always lend an ear. (I think that''s the saying) Best of luck with the situation...what you are dealing with is so difficult but will ultimately make you stronger.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
I know I came for honest advice and appreciate that. There is a difference between being given advice and being attacked. Of course it would be perosnal-this is my life I''m talking about. Things do not have to be my way, there are two us in this. But it''s water under the bridge now. I agreed to see him Saturday.
Once again, thanks to those who tried to help and understand.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Nytemist, please re-read my other postings in this topic. I think maybe you will now have a different perspective than when you first read them. I believe they still apply. I don''t think your boyfriend is ever going to be the "type" of man you want him to be. He is who he is - and you will ultimately decide to accept that and stay, or find someone more suitable for you. Believe, me - there are plenty of them out there. According to the US Census of 2002-2003, nearly a third of the American male population NEVER gets married. For whatever reason, maybe he is one of them. In my opinion, 2 years with someone is enough time to have all the information about someone that you need to know in order to make a very informed decision on wether or not to move forward and wed - if you''re with someone for 4+ years, odds are strong that it probably won''t happen. Excuses are just that - excuses. Those who want to wait for the "right" time, when all finances are in order and all the planets align, and there is nothing left to worry about - will always be waiting, because in today''s world, new issues come up as soon or before old issues are resolved. Unless someone wins the lottery, there are always going to be things that "come up" that delays the "right" time. Put it to him and "listen" to what he tells you. Either take a leap, yes or no.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
4 years is not forever....I have been with my BF for just over four years (2-20-01....) and we are not engaged yet. We both want to be finished with school and living in the same state again before we get engaged and I want to be baptized into the Catholic church and have finsihed my RCIA classes so we can have a Catholic wedding, as BF was an alter boy until college. I think that time runs differently for each couple and not to offened anyoen either older or younger then I, however I think age plays a factor as well. I am 22 if I was older I might feel diffrenly. I think we need to remember that sometimes there are legitamite reasons to wait and get engaged. That doesnt mean I am not bouncing off the walls right now wanting to get married, but I really want to have a degree and my faith firmly in place first. I dont think anyone is attacking anyone I think we all just ahve very diffrent veiwpoints.....remember the feminism and last name topics.....

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Age is a HUGE factor. The 20''s are very different than the 30''s which are also very different than the 40''s. Matatora, you have very legitimate life altering situations to take care of first, that goes along with being in your 20''s (typically, not always). I believe you are wise to wait. However, I believe NYtemist and her boyfriend are significantly older and have been together nearly or over 10 years and cannot even TALK about marriage. Their talks are "gee I don''t know. Someday, I guess. Well maybe, no I don''t really want to talk about it now." By the amount of time they''ve been together, they should be open books to each other and be able to communicate about anything. If they can''t do that after 10 years, then that''s a major red flag. I''ve seen this happen to several of my girlfriends throughout the years (I''m in my early 30''s). Matatora, it sounds like you and your b/f are progressing towards it. Relationships need to progress. When you start to feel like you''re no longer progressing - then it might be over. The early 20''s are a wonderful time to enjoy yourself and set goals - you''re on the right track. Good luck to you.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
LAJen- I am really lucky to be in the situation I am in. I am dating someone who was my bestfriend first and we are growing together rather then apart. We also are fortunate to be free of certian pressures since we dont live in the same state we get to be free to have our own group of friends and lives, but we still end up in the same lifestyle and are making the same general choices.... We both want to get married when we are out of school, we just arent ready. My rents did the same thing so I know it can workout, but be okay on my own if he ever changed his mind. I love him and he loves me, for now that is enough.

Though on my way to class everyday seeing all thoose >>>>> is now enganged to>>>> signs on every house is staring to rub. As for the age thing I aslo think it depends on where you are in life. (Kolberg and Piaget have great points on this) and that there are reasons for hesistations. I think it is most importatn to decide if they feel like reasons vs excuses. Each of us has to decide how long we can wait and what we really desire for ourselves.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,

So my BF''s sister''s wedding was Saturday and it was amazing. Her dress was gorgeous and it was such a good time. I hadn''t seen my BF in about 2 weeks until before the ceremony and he looked so good in a tux I couldn''t help but smile. He was floored by the dress I had on. His sis had the photographer taking as many pics of us together as she could. She pulled me aside at the reception later and said the past month has been very hard for him. He''s been asking his sis how to make it better, since he knew May 1 was the day were going to lay everything out on the table. We talk a couple of times a week to check in, but haven''t had a heart-to-heart in perosn for about a month. We had a great time at the wedding, a lot of extended family came up to me and introduced themselves, saying they''ve heard so many good things about me... I really did love seeing him on Saturday and enjoying the wedding. At the end of the night, his sis came over and said "I know you two are going hammer things out tomorrow. This family can''t lose you, and we think that he has finally seen the light about his way of thinking.
So yesterday, we slept in a little (he stayed at my house since the reception site was about 10 mins away) Got up about 10, made some tea, then shut ou all other noise to focus on each other. He apologized for how he has sounded lately, I did as well. He said that everything was so up in the air- him needing to move, me not done with school yet, that he didn''t feel he could really fully commit to anything at the time, but that didn''t include his feelings for me. That''s is why he continued to talk about ''when we get married...'' because that''s a definate to him. It''s everything else that he isn''t sure about. He said what really hit home was watching his sister doing the last-second wedding stuff and seeing how crazy happy she and her groom-to-be both were. It clicked to him that that what''s he wants. It didn''t matter where he would be living or anything, he wants that love with me. His sister was planning a wedding, trying to plan he moving date (she''s leaving the state) deal with selling her house and finding a new job once she gets there... but she''s thrilled. She help BF to realize that we could be in same boat with moving and all that, but the love should never change. If he honestly did nto feel he could commit to me, it would be best to not mention it, because it would lead to a big question of why. It dawned on him that there is no reason why not, maybe mild fear. But he''s watched his sis the past couple of weeks and despite all the craziness, she was like a happy child during her wedding the other day. That''s what he wants, no matter how the situation around us changes. I said I was sorry for turning into a really bitter person because I felt like I was being tortured by saying ''sure we''re getting married, but I don''t want to talk about anything happening more than a month in advance...'' This conversation went on for about 3 hours. I think we''re ok, we''ve tried to somewhat wipe the slate and and actually look forward. We both had a lot of apologizing to do for things we''ve said. He doesn''t hold me at fault, he said I haven''t made any demands on him, I asked for information on things that he should have been thinking about already. Later, he said ''trust me, by fall you will be calling my sis or other friends of yours for planning advice.'' I said ''ok''. Not ''don''t mention it unless your''re doing it''. But I have to go by his word and believe it. I think we will be ok.
Not to mention EVERYONE at the wedding starting to chant his name near the end of the reception, since both his sisters are now married, they''re all waiting on him now...

NoonersMom

Shiny_Rock
Nytemist....that is wonderful news! A few friends have said how their relationship is on a higher level because of a break up or time apart to think (on both sides). It sounds like a little time & consideration on both sides brought you to a new understanding and potentially a new level in your relationship with both parties realizing their mistakes. Keep the faith & trust in him that he will follow through as he said. He gave you a time frame of fall, now sit back & let him work his magic. If things don''t happen at that time, then re-examine your feelings & decide if it''s time to make plans by yourself. In the meantime, start enjoying his company again!
36.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
NyTempist- I am glad to hear that you are feeling better about your situation. *hug*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results