shape
carat
color
clarity

Boy Soon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Okay so I am nerd and I dont listen to the radio instead I listen to books on tape. Right now I am lsitening to Without Fail by Lee Childs and oh my heavens. They actually discussed how soon is a blow off word for guys and it is used as a conversation ender. I damn near died laughing. I am sure the people in the cars around me thought I was crazy.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
To all-

I hope that the weekend is a good one for you and that something good happens
28.gif
! I will be getting together with the BF and hope it goes well. Hoping to get out all the words that I need to say without getting angry. Keep telling myself to breathe. Totally forgoing my school paper for a while. (it''s only due in a WEEK!!!) Well wish me luck... I could be happier or I could be single come Monday...

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Good luck, and let us know what happens. Just remember, don''t ever apologize for your feelings - if you get angry, then you get angry. You have that right. Tell him that he keeps saying that he doesn''t want to spend his life without you, yet his actions up to this point (if they continue) will ensure he does just that. Time to step up to the plate or let go. You''ve been patient and you''ve never pressured him. Let him know that you will never tell him what to do, but he must be aware that you will decide what "you do" based on his actions (or lack thereof). Stay strong!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
A relationship, I think, is like a shark. You know it has to constantly move forward or it dies, and I think what we got on our hands is a dead shark.
WA
I thought this was a preferct reply to boy soon.... I need to spend less time reading...nerdy KK.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
Well,

We got together to tlak Saturday. I told him that lately it doesn''t seem as if we are progressing anywhere and I''m frustrated being the only one really discussing future plans. I point blank asked him if this was too much for him or did he not feel ready for this level of committment, since it''s impossible to tell how happy he is with our relationship. (he is not the most expressive, like a lot of men of course.) He said that even though he didn''t think planning that for ahead was reality, he never saw himself being without me- that he definately wants to get married... and I stopped him there. I reminded him that if wasn''t going to propose, no point in talking about marriage details now. He said he stills wants fall of 06. I said ok, but do''t go back on what you said New Year''s about getting engaged this year. He says of course it will happen, you just don''t know that yet. (in my head I''m like, sure whatever)
He did admit that if it wasn''t for his sister, his moving out on his own and thinking moving to NY with me wouldn''t have been on his mind so soon. So I asked that if he weren''t being forced to move and I went to NY, he would be in no hurry to join me? He said he wasn''t sure how soon he would move, but that he did want to stay with me. I asked, but not enough to come with me? He thinks I''m putting words in his mouth and making decisions for him. I said no, I''m makintg them for myself. I''ve been thinking of so many of my future plans and considering you in them, now over the past couple of weeks I find out that you still don''t think even close to the same way. I had heard about a great apartment that may come availabel in Nov. and was think of trying to get it- it would have been a great chance for us to start on a road together. But I had to say no since he doesn''t think that long range. He said an actual place to live was tangible and he was cool with the idea- and then says "But i though you didn''t want to live together?" I said true, but this based if we were engaged by then. Of course that changed his opinion a bit.
So, basically said to him that he obviously wasn''t completely comfortable with me trying to get a life going for myself and doing so much planning. He said no, he just doesn''t view things the way I do. Which I get. Not everyone sees the world with the same eyes. But different viewpoints or not, to make your future happen you''ve got to map it out-at least what you want to do! I had to do the hard thing and suggest time apart and just not see each other until the wedding. He freaked out, though I was breaking up with him. I said not, that''s not what I want, but it seems you haven''t given a lot of serious, focused thought to this situation and I think you need the time to do that- without any influence from me. He freaked out even more- "What do you mean? So you can plan all this stuff and I don''t know what you''re doing? Don''t shut me out, I want to be included, this involves me, too! We''re supposed to be in thi together..." I said finally, you get it! I wasnt to share all this with you, but when you tell me that I''m looking too far ahead and you haven''t though that far, you''re talking from both sides of your mouth. I suggested for starters, that maybe we shouldn''t go to NY together this weekend. He said no, he wanted to go with, since the past 3 Easter weekends we have spent in NY. I said as long as you realize that nothing has been resolved, eveything is not rosy and there still has to be a lot more talking- whether it makes you uncomfortbale or not. I am not putting myself on hold.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Good for you. Hopefully he will get his priorties straight!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
nytemist- good for you for sticking to your guns! some boys... grrrr. it''s amazing that they can not understand that you need to know about their plans for the future so you can plan for YOURS as well. good luck!!

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!

Appletini- I''m hoping he does- and soon.

Icekid- grrrrr is right. I made this my year of change; getting rid of old, starting fresh. I''m uncluttering everything, cleaning closets, old paperwork, my mind. I made it clear that this means him, too.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I think that you are awsome! So strong and I have to say thoughtful. You were not mean or hurtful and you stayed on track! That is brilliant! I hope things work out for you and if they dont NYC is a great place to start over. *hug*

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
So-

I had another chat with BF late Friday afternoon. He called me at work to say he definately wanted to go to NY, I said maybe it''s not a great idea. Fast forward- I get off the train and head over to my hotel. I''m there for about half hour when I get a knock at the door. I look through the peephole and it''s him. I was quite shocked to see him. He said that he felt so down and wanted to spend the weekend with me. I let him in and we talked some- I let him know for the umteenth time that I was disappointed with how our communication has been lately and our talks are getting us nowhere. I layed it out pretty bluntly- I know what I would like to do in the future, you are stalling for who knows what reason. He was quiet, since he knows I''m right. Since I was starving by that time, I said we should continue this over dinner (also I knew I would control myself and not yell in a restaurant!) We went to our usual bar we like to go to in Greenwich Villiage and talked more. Right away he started trying to explain himself. That he definately wants a future, but wants things to be more settled. So I said "Oh, I''m getting the whole ''life must be perfect before I can commit to you'' speech." He says no, that''s not what I''m saying, I just want us to be in a better place financially and have jobs lined up and things like that. I said sure you do- all falling under the umbrella of stalling me. I said there are always thoses issues in life. No one has perfect financial security except for people like Bill Gates. I''m tired of you promising me and then not able to talk about when you think is the ''perfect moment'' to plan a future. If it''s not important enough for you to seriously talk about after four years, then maybe we should be apart. For a short time or for good because I''m not going to be tortured anymore. It felt so unreal hearing the words come out of my mouth, like I was outside my body and it hurt to say them like you wouldn''t believe. But it needed to be said. He teared up, which made it even harder for me not to. He said in a small voice, please don''t break up with me, please don''t leave me. I said I don''t want to, but I also don''t want just wait to make plans. School will be done in August- I have to start researching appartments, jobs, internships, how to move, cost of doing so and more. I need to know you are ready to do this now- if not let me know. He begs me not to say this, he wants to be with me and so on. I''m trying not to cry and say to him I''m ready for a future- you act like you aren''t. Ball is in your court. Thes rest of dinner was pretty quiet and just talked about little things going on around us and such, but really strained. That night it was just so hard to not cuddle or anything. He sat up later on crying, asking me not to do this. I broke down as well and I said I''m not doing anything but trying to make a life for myself. I want you part of it but it doesn''t seem to be what you want right now. If you can''t have this serious talk with me, take time and think about it. Yesterday was just strange. We still walked and chatted about stuff in the city, browsed the used CD stores and all that, but I still felt kind of numb. Getting on the train home, he whispers ''I do want to marry you''. I said act like it. He was about to start talking again, I said no, as I said before, you need time to thinik about this and I need time to think if this is working for me anymore. We will talk day after the wedding( his family would be so upset if I wasn''t at his sister''s wedding). He kept pleading with me and said he didn''t want to be apart. I said we''ll talk May 1 and go from there. He has already called and left me a voicemail here at work earlier this morning. This is unbelievably hard, but it has to happen. Sorry this is so long and such a soap opera, but I have to vent to someone. I''ll just read the happy posts from the ladies who have gotten engaged to men who aren''t so afraid of the future and hope it will be me someday.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Nytemist-

You have taken a very difficult, but VERY important step. You are correct that you need to be living your life and making plans for your future. After graduation, you have big life decisions to make- ones that will impact the rest of your life as far as work and living- if he cannot see that, perhaps a step back with room to evaluate for the both of you is just what is needed. With some time to reflect on what is important to both of you, he may realize that boy soon just can''t cut it in this particular situation. You have a definite time frame when you HAVE to get things done...if you put moving to NY off, it is too easy to let inertia set in and delay even longer. And, you really do need to know what his plans are for going to NY, and if he is making the move because that is what his heart and mind want, or if it is just because things fell out that way with not living with his sister anymore.

Hold firm to getting real answers, we are here for you,

Jen

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry you had such a tough weekend with the BF. But I''m proud of you for standing firm on your beliefs. Hopefully he''ll come around otherwise I''m sure you will find someone who is much more deserving of you!!!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

NYTempist- I am sorry to hear how badly you are hurting. *hugs* I believe that you are doing the right thing. A relationship is about two people and the level of commitment needs to be equal or someone will end up hurt. I hate that the question I am going to ask may sting but I think it needs to be said (though you seem very bright and likely have already thought of it) If your BF proposes right now how will you feel? Will you be elated or will you wonder if you pushed him into it? I am sorry if this seems callus I don’t mean to be. Normally I would say being in love means putting the other person first in your life, placing their needs above yours. However it seems like this is what you have been doing for a long time, I hope that you will think of yourself and what will make you happy in the long term.

OS don’t feel bad about venting I think this is the perfect forum for such things. hug

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
No, I don''t think I''m pushing him. I have never told him that he must do X by X time or we''re done. What hurts is that obviously something is holding him and I don''t think it''s the reason he''s telling me. It would hurt worse if it''s because he doesn''t love me or something, because then I know I wasted four years.

I would be thrilled if he were to propose. For right now, I would be happy with him discussing with me where we plan on loving and the like. When I listen to him, I hear "I so want to be with you, but *something* stops me right now". I don''t know what that is. I don''t know if he is afraid of not being able to afford something really expensive (I don''t care), or he''s trying to plan a surprise, or he has a particular time in mind. He does realize that he needs to speak up before I start building my life without him. Besides, if he wants Fall of 06, have to start planning it soon
1.gif
! You aren''t being callous at all. I''m older and don''t waste time beating around the bush.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
hi nytemist,

I know this has been said before but I admire you for your incredible strength! Although it''s hard, I think you have the correct mindset by following your own plan. Has your bf been open about communicating problems before? Are you close to his sister? Maybe she could give you some insight as to the "issue" that is holding him back and you can find a way to make him feel more comfortable about telling you. Is it a money issue? I know a lot of guys that waited on proposing solely because they felt embarassed that they couldn''t support the girlfriend yet.

It is so awesome that you are moving to NY....sounds like your life is about to take an exciting turn! (finishing school and moving!!) Is there a way to get a 1-bdrm or large studio so that it would be suitable to have for yourself or both you and your bf if he proposes?

Hope this helps

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Don''t feel like if it doesn''t workout that you have wasted 4 years. Those experiences that you''ve had the past 4 years, are part of what makes you who you are.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Blueroses, Kimber, nytemist.....I feel badly for all of you.

When I hear these stories, all I can think of is the scene from "When Harry Met Sally".....Sally''s crying because she found out her long-term boyfriend subsequently married a girl he''d only dated for a few months. She said "All this time, I thought it was that he didn''t want to get married. What he really meant was he didn''t want to marry me."

I saw this happen first-hand with a co-worker, too. She was with her BF for more than 5 years, he kept saying Yes, I want to be with you/marry you, but I need to accomplish x/y/z/whatever first, and the criteria KEPT CHANGING. She angsted for several months, and finally went through a soul searching. She finally said to him "I love you more than I can say.....but I have to love myself first. I want marriage and a family. You keep saying you want them too, but I don''t see the action behind the words. I can''t keep investing time into a relationship that''s not progressing in that direction. I''m not telling you this as an ultimatum.....if you wanted those things too, we''d already be moving together that way, but we aren''t. It''s time for me to take myself onto another path."

It was the hardest thing she''d ever done. However, within the following year, she met another man, was engaged in a year, married the following year, and now has a lovely family and two children. All things she may have missed out on if she''d have hung around waiting indefinitely.

Many others have made the same observation.....after a couple of years of being together, you know whether or not you want to spend your life with that person. If you do, then you go about making it permanent. If you don''t, then move on. It''s reasonable to say "I want to accomplish *this*....", but it''s not reasonable to keep pushing it off for every new goal that crops up. One''s a goal, the other is a put-off or a stall.

Too many "soon"s mean "I don''t really want to commit, but I don''t want you to leave, either, which I know you''ll do if I don''t promise something, so I''ll promise something vague." "I don''t want to be alone, but I want the option to pursue something better if I find it later." Take your pick.

I don''t buy the business from Blue Chica''s friend saying "There''s no reason to marry unless you want children"....not true. I married my husband last year a month shy of my 39th birthday....and we agreed up front we don''t want children.

I had no plans to marry at all......I hadn''t even dated anyone for the previous 7 years by *choice*. I had a great circle of friends (and still do), and my life was very complete being single. I was completely happy with the choice to be single rather than settle.

When we got together, we discussed how we each felt about relationships. I told him "I have chosen not to date up to this point because I don''t want to waste my time or play games. If I''m going to invest in a relationship, it would be because I want a permanent relationship." He felt the same way, and said he wanted us to date for 6-12 months to make sure we were walking the same road. We were engaged just about a year later, and are now married.

Some people prefer to never marry but stay together; others want the commitment of marriage. It''s an individual thing.

The logic of "so many marriages fail, why even bother?" is not logic at all. That''s fear talking. There aren''t any guarantees for ANYTHING in life, so does that mean we shouldn''t take chances or set goals? Of course not. Some majority of college graduates (last I knew it was around 75%???) don''t end up working in their field of study. Does that mean people shouldn''t go to college, because what''s the point? No.

Excuses are just that. Either they mean "I''m not ready NOW" or "I don''t know if I''ll ever be ready". The question is, are you willing to gamble *YOUR* future that it means the first and not the second? Things for those of you being "strung along", as you say, to think about.

I know one thing. If I''d have settled for that kind of treatment previously, I wouldn''t be with my husband now. And THAT would be a terrible, terrible shame.

I think we are able to love several people in our lives. You may love the person you''re with, but that doesn''t mean you won''t love someone else who comes after. It''s a risk you have to be willing to take....put yourself first.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
nytemist,

i know how horrible and hurtful this situation must be for you... but i know you are doing the right thing. this whole thing will work itself out for the best, one way or the other. continue to be strong... i am so proud and impressed that you have so much courage! sometimes even though a relationship is not right for us, we become so comfortable in it that we don''t challenge the fact that something is holding us back. good for you for pushing- you will be much happier in the long run!

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
I''m definately aware of the possibility that he may not be ready for an ultimate committment, although all his words say otherwise (yes, I know men are good at this) I decided that this was my time to really change my life, get out this boring city and start new somewhere I want to be. He knew all this. He said that he would be with me every step of the way. Now that it''s becoming more reality, it''s scary to him- that would be my guess. But I am still moving forward. I also had a friend that dated someone for three years, he said they''d get married, he freaked out and broke up with her. This was during spring. By Christmastime, he was engaged to someone. She almost committed suicide over it. If my BF feels backed into a corner, that means he wasn''t in it with his heart from the beginning. I''ve read somewhere before that there is a world of difference between ''I don''t want to get married" and "I don''t want to marry you". From this time forward will tell me if his words hold any water. It would be so hard, but if he says he can''t try to make this transition, I do it alone.
It''s amazing how much a guy gets even more scared when they think you''re leaving. I finally listened to the message he left me this morning and he''s a wreck. He said he was upset and miserable about how the weekend went and is so afraid he''ll never get to talk to me again. Stated he was online looking at apartment rental prices just to get an idea of what *we* were in for. Also, that he doesn''t want to until May 1 to talk to me again- he couldn''t go that long without me.
I realized to myself that I sound so cold about this when I love him so much. But at 34, you stop being ruled purely on your emotion and bring in logic and rational.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
nytemist--

I agree with everything aldjewey said in her post. I have a friend who got married after dating a guy for two months. When I met them they had been married for 3 years and doing great! Before her, the guy dated someone else for four years but never wanted to get married.

I don''t think you are being cold at all.. I think you are being realistic and independent. I know it hurts to hear him upset but it''s time to truly decide what the future holds. A big decision should be deeply contemplated and take more than a few days. There is definitely an initial sadness to not having the person around but I think you boyfriend needs to truly find out WHY he hasn''t proposed to you yet and be COMPLETELY honest with himself...and with you for that matter.

Good luck and keep us updated

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
nytemist, good for you for speaking clearly and standing your ground.

What aldjewey said--re: the line in When Harry Met Sally--is actually exactly what I cite in conversations with my bf b/c it''s the biggest fear of mine....that after all these years ultimately this delay won''t have been about him not being ready to get married, it will be about him not being ready {ever} to marry ME.

Hope that won''t be the case, but like nytemist, I''m--right now--just trying like hell to get on the same page in terms of communication. Big hugs to you, my dear. In the meantime, good for you for focusing on what YOU need to move forward, one way or the other.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
NYTEMIST: I just read all of your posts, and I am so sorry that you are going through this. It seems like a very difficult situation. I saw something on TV today (Dr. Phil) I don''t usually watch this but I did today, and it was a guy who was really into coaching sports etc. and not spending enough time with his fiance. In any case Dr Phil said "sometimes people have different priorities and that doesn''t make them bad people, just incompatible" That really reasonated with me, and reading your situation I really feel for both of you. Him because it seems that he REALLY loves you, but at the same time, it does seem like something is holding him back. And you are absolutely right that NO one is in a perfect financial situation to get married, I think it''s one of those things that you "create". When a guy is ready, he does what is necessary.

OK. NEED SOME ADVICE LADIES! So for the past few weeks, my boyfriend and I have been having some serious issues. He had two weeks of vacation, and I didn''t like how he handled it. Basically, I frequently feel like I come second to his own plans/desires. I know that doesn''t make sense, but just that often, he''ll spring surprise plans ex. playing poker or hockey with his guy friends. And I thought to myself, this is an issue that comes up ALL the time. And I''m not sure that I want to live the rest of my life like this. There are times that I feel like I come second in the relationship and that I''m not a priority. I''m not saying this happens all the time, but enough to bother me. I haven''t been wearing my eternity band for three weeks, I told him that I would see how it goes, but I was having serious doubts about us ever getting married. We had another major fight on Thursday which to me, was almost a deal breaker. So on Saturday he begged me to go away with him for the weekend, (he was playing in a hockey tournament) so we could try and work things out. In any case, the weekend SCARED me so much that now I''m wondering if I over react. I don''t hang around with his friends/ guys that much. I''m a shy, kind of introverted girl. But I was also the only girlfriend there (from his team).

So this is what happened

a) While I was sitting in the stands, this guy walked by, saw me and did the most sexual gesture toward me. I told my boyfriend about it after, and he knew exactly who this guy was. It was a teammate who didn''t know I was his girlfriend. This guy has done **** movies. How lovely. So there was an incident between the two guys, although nothing too violent because the guy didn''t know.

b) One of this teammates spend 1/2 the night telling me about how he asked his girlfriend to get breast implants! AND SHE DID IT because she didn''t want to lose him!! Ok. No. If my boyfriend ever said anything like that, I''d kill him. Oh yeah, and she didn''t want to do it, but he told the doctor to give her size D breasts. Although to his credit my boyfriend says the guy loves his girlfriend a lot (I have to admit, we went clubbing and the girls were all over the guys, and he did go back to his hotel alone).

c) His other teammate spend the other 1/2 of the night, telling me how his girlfriend trapped him into staying with her, by getting pregnent. He''s not in love with her, but feels he as to do the *right* thing. I talked to this girl on a previous occasion and she told me that it was love at first sight between them, and that they were soulmates. Jeez. Does she know what he thinks??

And I came out of there terrified. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE GUYS??? What is wrong with these relationships? My boyfriend started looking like a better boyfriend with every passing second. I mean am I this total lunatic that invents things to get mad at my boyfriend? ARGHHH! The weekend seriously traumatized me. I think I want to become a nun. Even though I''m not CATHOLIC
11.gif
. I think I aged about 100 years in a weekend. Maybe I''m totally naive or something. I''ve always had this cynical "men are dogs" view, but my view of the male species has just gone even lower. Sorry to vent ladies, I''ve been stewing all weekend.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
oh ally,

I''m so sorry... I had no idea you were going through all that the past few weeks. Are the hockey teammates the "friends" your boyfriend hangs out with a lot? If so, I would be worried...they don''t seem to have any respect for the women in their lives. As for the priority issue, have you talked to your boyfriend about how his sudden plans make you feel? I don''t think any relationship is perfect but there are definitely some things you can live with and others you can''t. In my opinion no one in any relationship should feel like they are a second priority. Of course there are goals and things such as school that may occupy more time sometimes but the partner should never feel like they are unimportant. If you express how you feel and he doesn''t make an effort to make you a priority, then I think that''s a huge red flag. Of all the people we interact with in our lives, our future husbands should be the stable love source to make us feel beautiful and special no matter what...right?
1.gif
There will always be someone out there to make you feel that way, even if it''s not the person you are with at the moment.
7.gif
Feel free to vent/discuss anytime!!! I know you will make the right decision for yourself.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
Ally-

If this has become a constant problem (the not prioritizing you when he has time off) that is not a good thing. Combine that with the not discussing the future and the fact that he spends time with guys who have a high school mentality gives you a lot of reason to worry. It''s hard not to be a cynic sometimes, but when a guy hangs out with ther guys who haven''t grown up yet, they start to think ''hey, this is what''s it''s like to not be tied down'' thoughts. Not conducive to building a strong relationship. And he doesn''t see the problem, or is just minimizing it. He asks you to come away with him on the weekend to ''work on things''? But it''s during a hockey weekend? How much of his effort and brain power was really on this topic?

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
Ally, I have been reading over these threads recently and wanted to comment on your situation. While some things about him might say he's not ready, you can't really judge him by his friends. I have plenty of friends who are no where close to being ready to settling down, but I am just a few days away from proposing to my girlfriend. Just because a guy's friends aren't ready for a real commitment doesn't mean that he's not. If anything I look at my single friends and think, Thank God I'm not going through everything they are, i.e. dating, playing games, and all the bad stuff that goes along with it. I can't speak for your man as far as him being ready to settle down, but just because his friends aren't there yet, doesn't mean he isn't.

-FTB

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2005 10
6.gif
4:18 AM
Author: Fiance to be
Ally, I have been reading over these threads recently and wanted to comment on your situation. While some things about him might say he''s not ready, you can''t really judge him by his friends. I have plenty of friends who are no where close to being ready to settling down, but I am just a few days away from proposing to my girlfriend. Just because a guy''s friends aren''t ready for a real commitment doesn''t mean that he''s not. If anything I look at my single friends and think, Thank God I''m not going through everything they are, i.e. dating, playing games, and all the bad stuff that goes along with it. I can''t speak for your man as far as him being ready to settle down, but just because his friends aren''t there yet, doesn''t mean he isn''t.

-FTB
I wholeheartedly agree with this. You aren''t dating his friends.....you are dating HIM. I think boys will be boys when the boys are around, the same way that girls will be girls when the girls are around.

I wish I were clearer on what you mean, ally, when you say "he doesn''t make me a priority".

My husband is my top priority....but honestly, he is not my ONLY priority. I have 4 girlfriends who live locally that are "down-in-the-trenches", lifelong friends. They are my version of "ya-ya sisterhood". They are family to me, and they are every bit as important.

One is married, one owns a house with her boyfriends, and the other two are single. Before I met my husband, I spent literally 100% of my free time with these women....mostly the two who are single, and with less frequency the one who has a boyfriend. My married friend was also my landlord, so I saw her nightly too.

My life was extremely full and complete then....before I met Rich. He understood that my friends were a key element of my happiness, and he''s never made me feel as though I have to choose between him and them. We were looking for a place together in August one year, and I still went on my scheduled vacation to San Francisco with my girlfriends.

I typically spend a day every weekend or every other weekend with the two single women. I''ll go over to their towns; they''ll come over to our house. The other two friends join us as they can.

If one of them calls in crisis, I''m gone to where they are. I ask Rich out of courtesy if he minds, but I honestly don''t expect an objection unless he has a more pressing crisis....in which case, I would put him first. I wouldn''t expect him to pout because we were supposed to do "x" if "x" can be done any other time.

The fact that I run out the door to go to Tina''s because something''s wrong doesn''t mean I don''t put hubby first....it means he''s not my top priority at that moment. He wants me to be happy, and he understands that time with them is key to my happiness.

It''s been my experience that women who are a bit independent and can self-entertain a bit are among the most happily married women I know.

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
ally-
I’m guessing that you have a sports-and-games-aholic b/f like many of us? My b/f’s idea of “relaxing” is playing sports or video games. Any opportunity that comes along, especially softball, he is there. I kind of know what you mean about the priority thing.

I think the biggest problem in my situation is that my b/f loves to do things, but hates making plans. He tends to jump on board if anyone comes up with a fun idea. If we (meaning me) have made plans already, then I would say a majority of the time we do what we planned to do together. I am flexible, though, so if a fun opportunity comes up for him then it’s usually not a big deal to compromise. But, if we don’t already have plans that day and one of his buddies emails him, “Hey, a bunch of us are getting together to throw some balls around tonight.”, well, easy decision for b/f. He doesn’t even think twice. The part that I sometimes find frustrating, and I’m wondering if you feel the same way, is that he doesn’t think of me first. He says yes right away. He could have at least asked me first if I wanted to do something with him that day (especially when it is Saturday). I hope I’m not sounding like a brat!! It’s hard to explain exactly how I feel about it.

I am definitely cool with him hanging out with his friends! But we don’t have that much free time to hang out together, so when he says “yes” to buddies’ plans, I feel like I would at least appreciate hearing about the plans first before he gives them a definite yes answer. Maybe I had some fun ideas that I hadn’t talked to him about yet? Maybe we could do both things? I’m not sure if this is similar to your situation, but if it is, this is how I handle it:

If it’s vacation days or special weekends, I try to make firm, fun plans for those days with b/f well in advance. He did take a vacation day last month to go to a softball tournament, but I didn’t feel like it was as big of a deal as it used to be since most of his other vacation days are already scheduled for 2 vacations with me later this year. Also, I know that I really am his number one priority. If I start to feel bummed out and like I might not be number one, I think back to all of the times he has done things with me because he knows I want to do them. Even though he has been bored out of his mind at some of the events, he still went with a smile on his face and no complaints. Also, he thinks it’s fine when I have girls nights out with my friends. For me, the positives always out number the negatives.

2.gif

Also, I try to go to as many of his games as I can. We also play sports together on some co-ed teams. I was surprised to hear you were the only g/f at the hockey tournament? When I go to b/f’s softball games, there are usually a decent number of wives and g/f’s there of his teammates. I also play video games with him. I guess it’s the philosophy of “the couples that play together stay together”. But, I really enjoy doing those things with him. If you don’t really like sports and stuff, that could be a red flag. I do know that one of my b/f’s teammates got a divorce because he and his wife constantly argued about all of the softball tournaments he did on the weekends. So I do know that for some people, this does become a major problem.

15.gif

As for your b/f’s teammates, I totally agree that even though some “guys will be guys”, that doesn’t mean your b/f will do what they do. As long as you feel like your b/f treats you well and you completely trust him, then I don’t think you have anything to worry about. If you still feel like your b/f is prioritizing himself over you (I guess a good word to describe that would be self-centered?), and you don’t want to be treated that way, please know that there are still good guys out there!!! Never settle!!!!!!! The good ones may be harder to find especially the ones that are shyer or less social, but believe me, there are still quite a few out there who know how to treat a lady right.

10.gif

I hope all of this makes sense. It''s hard to condense all of my thought into as short of a post as possible. Best of luck! I hope everything works out in the best way possible!!!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Nytemist, Snow, Fiance to be, Aljdewey, Buena

Thanks for the support. I think my problem is (as Buena said) the sudden plans. It happens about once a month a drives me crazy. Kind of like...he''s at hockey, they have a beer after... he''s told me he will pick me up at 10:30 and calls me at 12:30 to say he''ll be late. It makes me insane. I get so mad. I''ve been having this problem for a while (as some LIW) will recall from a few months ago. I feel like as soon as he does that, he''s making his friends a priority. Aside from that the realtionship is good, he wants to marry me (wanted to propose last summer but I headed it off because I don''t feel ready). It''s not a question of him wanting to settle down, it''s that I just see myself in ten years once a month having a screaming fight with him because he didn''t have the consideration to call me to tell me he''d be late. Kind of like.."Yes he wants to marry me, but can I live with this drama?" I''m a firm believer that guys don''t change, I''m just wondering if I am making a mountain out of a mole hill...I mean compared to his crazy friends, he''s not such a bad guy right?

I''ve done everything... talked about it calmly, screamed it at the top of my lungs and thrown things at his head. It''s like systemic bad behavior once a month. Like getting your period. Clockwork. I hate it. On Monday he did the same thing, and I didn''t answer the phone, I left at 11
6.gif
0 and went out with my friends. All day he was hurt that I HAD DITCHED him to be with my friends. Come on! He was supposed to be at my house at 10:30. And then he says he was sad that when he did call me (at 12:30) I didn''t answer the phone. I told him calmly, that from now on, when he decided to have his "monthly insensitive jerk moment" I will never WAIT for him. That''s it. GRRR... god. Feels like some ridiculous gameplaying thing. I''m so frustrated, maybe as Snow said, this is just something I can''t live with. I know, sounds like nothing to end a 9 year relationship over, but I can just imagine...we get married and the bad behavior becomes a weekly thing. And then I''m at home crying every week. I''m just not intrested.

Thanks girls! I feel better venting.

NoonersMom

Shiny_Rock
Nytemist.....you''ve received some great advice on this board. I really can''t add except to say that you are one strong woman! You go girl! Keep following your heart & your dreams. Someone needs to look after them & that someone is you! You''ve given him plenty of opportunities to be included. You''re not giving an ultimatum...you''re simply looking after yourself. I hope he comes along for the ride! If not, you''re one step closer to finding what you ultimately want in life! Keep us posted!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2005 2:21:13 PM
Author: Buena Girl

ally-
I’m guessing that you have a sports-and-games-aholic b/f like many of us? My b/f’s idea of “relaxing” is playing sports or video games. Any opportunity that comes along, especially softball, he is there. I kind of know what you mean about the priority thing.

I think the biggest problem in my situation is that my b/f loves to do things, but hates making plans. He tends to jump on board if anyone comes up with a fun idea. If we (meaning me) have made plans already, then I would say a majority of the time we do what we planned to do together. I am flexible, though, so if a fun opportunity comes up for him then it’s usually not a big deal to compromise. But, if we don’t already have plans that day and one of his buddies emails him, “Hey, a bunch of us are getting together to throw some balls around tonight.”, well, easy decision for b/f. He doesn’t even think twice. The part that I sometimes find frustrating, and I’m wondering if you feel the same way, is that he doesn’t think of me first. He says yes right away. He could have at least asked me first if I wanted to do something with him that day (especially when it is Saturday). I hope I’m not sounding like a brat!! It’s hard to explain exactly how I feel about it.

I am definitely cool with him hanging out with his friends! But we don’t have that much free time to hang out together, so when he says “yes” to buddies’ plans, I feel like I would at least appreciate hearing about the plans first before he gives them a definite yes answer. Maybe I had some fun ideas that I hadn’t talked to him about yet? Maybe we could do both things? I’m not sure if this is similar to your situation, but if it is, this is how I handle it:

If it’s vacation days or special weekends, I try to make firm, fun plans for those days with b/f well in advance. He did take a vacation day last month to go to a softball tournament, but I didn’t feel like it was as big of a deal as it used to be since most of his other vacation days are already scheduled for 2 vacations with me later this year. Also, I know that I really am his number one priority. If I start to feel bummed out and like I might not be number one, I think back to all of the times he has done things with me because he knows I want to do them. Even though he has been bored out of his mind at some of the events, he still went with a smile on his face and no complaints. Also, he thinks it’s fine when I have girls nights out with my friends. For me, the positives always out number the negatives.

2.gif

Also, I try to go to as many of his games as I can. We also play sports together on some co-ed teams. I was surprised to hear you were the only g/f at the hockey tournament? When I go to b/f’s softball games, there are usually a decent number of wives and g/f’s there of his teammates. I also play video games with him. I guess it’s the philosophy of “the couples that play together stay together”. But, I really enjoy doing those things with him. If you don’t really like sports and stuff, that could be a red flag. I do know that one of my b/f’s teammates got a divorce because he and his wife constantly argued about all of the softball tournaments he did on the weekends. So I do know that for some people, this does become a major problem.

15.gif

As for your b/f’s teammates, I totally agree that even though some “guys will be guys”, that doesn’t mean your b/f will do what they do. As long as you feel like your b/f treats you well and you completely trust him, then I don’t think you have anything to worry about. If you still feel like your b/f is prioritizing himself over you (I guess a good word to describe that would be self-centered?), and you don’t want to be treated that way, please know that there are still good guys out there!!! Never settle!!!!!!! The good ones may be harder to find especially the ones that are shyer or less social, but believe me, there are still quite a few out there who know how to treat a lady right.

10.gif

I hope all of this makes sense. It''s hard to condense all of my thought into as short of a post as possible. Best of luck! I hope everything works out in the best way possible!!!
BG- You are sooo right!!! My BF is funny and outgoing, but only once he gets to know you and I am the same way. We both tend to be a bit shy and are more the stay at home and play board games or read together and if we go out it is hikeing, walking, running, or playing with our dogs. We both have a great group of friends but they are small and again tend to be quieter people (niether of us drinks so....). However I never would have meet him if it were not for a very odd series of events (broken foot, bad day, and bowling team in HS, wrestling...and viola!) Meeting people is hard and I think sometimes scary.Okay I am done.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results