shape
carat
color
clarity

Bored senseless... let's chat about upcoming projects.

Ooh good thread!

I’ve got two on the bubble at the moment.

I wanted something to wear with my grandidierite ring (you know I’m obsessed with having at least two matching pieces to wear together - nothing can be orphaned!). I found a pair of TINY grandidierites and given I then had no budget left I decide to use a few cheapy apatites that I had in my box with them so I could go big. I already have little Paraiba studs which I could wear if I wanted that colour in an everyday size so I decided to go all out cocktail party on these ones. CADs below.

30624D51-3B80-4F62-9ED6-97C9A739FAF3.jpeg
They aren’t perfectly symmetrical but that doesn’t bother me at all - I like the vintage vibe.

I’ve also, very nervously, decided to check another item off my wish list - a proper eye catching three stone OEC. I always feel you can get away with bigger bling even in otherwise “non-blingy” situations if it looks like you inherited it LOL!

My budget isn’t very big for something of that magnitude so I’ve had to compromise a lot on clarity and colour.

I’ve found a set of K colour stones, 2.25ct centre and 0.7ct sides. The centre is an SI2 with plenty of grunge in the diagram on the cert (twining wisps here we come) but appears to be eye clean with a nice facet pattern. But for some reason I’m not picky at all about a bit of hair on old cuts the way I am on moderns.

This is the inspo - classic / basic two tone. I’m not sure yet whether to go for six prongs or eight on the centre. Any views would be much appreciated.

3B7F40E0-3D66-4DD8-84B2-13780A809E3C.png BA04F21E-1AE7-4404-B326-CC8BB1887744.png

So this is where the party is happening... I want to come to your house! :) I'm absolutely obsessed with those earrings and can't want to see the result. And the ring... CLASSIC.

David finished with the CAD on my "autumn" ring, but I'm holding off for now, as I'm trying to source some FCD accent stones for my heart diamond. My budget is not allowing both at the moment, unfortunately.

Anyway! As you know, the inner halo will be white diamonds and the outer will be a mixture of fall-colored FCDs. The entire ring will be 18k YG and the leaves will alternate between RG and PLAT. It will either be my dream ring for Sep-Nov or a total Frankenstein. lol We shall see! Thanks for asking. :D

thumbnail_DK 86986-QUAD-7.jpg

Next project is to find a replacement for this star ruby in rose gold. I suspect it was a gentleman's ring but it fits me perfectly as a RHR. 68DFE8C0-BD10-48CA-B5A4-149EC6EC9697.jpeg

It does fluoresce bold bright true red but I’m traveling so I don’t have my black light with me. 47AF5E9B-EFE4-4A70-A0DE-4557375B8715.jpeg

My goal is to find either a rose cut galaxy diamond with attractive inclusions or an agate with some rose-coloured striations.
21873-182.18ct10.20x8.05x2.70mmOvalRosecut2_900x.jpg

il_340x270.4072029314_d1jc.jpg

The bezel need repair as well but I’m sure DK do a wonderful job.

I love, love, love this idea... I've always wanted to use salt and pepper diamonds in a project. The rose cut metallic-y ones are my fave!

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Hello again

@Autumn in New England I love the design of your fall ring. Wow that is going to be amazing!

@Ionysis those earrings will be spectacular!

As for my opal ring project. I’ve lost confidence in the original setting idea. One because I am not really a standard halo kind of girl (forum gasps :-o:lol-2:) but also because the size of the paraiba I would want to use are prohibitively expensive.

So I’ve thought through some other ideas and not yet sure of the direction. What do you all think? And I do realise these are all very different :confused::confused::confused: I have tried to mock them up with my opal at the centre.

Oh and opal arrived and is delicious. Here’s a very bad video!

D8ECE65E-9CD0-449E-B681-5B600797E2FC.jpeg 75747AAB-7620-4D66-841C-457EDDF2D7C1.jpeg C301F326-47F2-43EE-BB75-7677DE9B0FA1.jpeg 659E60E9-C93C-4B12-ADC7-91115DE0991F.jpeg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I love the black enamel idea - so innovative. I have a plan for some emerald cabochons which have black inclusions to be set with black enamel to make a feature of the flaws. If you go in that direction I will be watching avidly as I’ve never used it before as a setting material.

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
I love the black enamel idea - so innovative. I have a plan for some emerald cabochons which have black inclusions to be set with black enamel to make a feature of the flaws. If you go in that direction I will be watching avidly as I’ve never used it before as a setting material.

hi yes I love this black enamel style. It’s unusual and cool. I am not sure. It’s really between this one or the one @icy_jade likes

I like the sound of emeralds in black enamel. That would be very edgy and cool.
I totally understand that! Personally I like the 2nd last one with the big halo and vintage feel but which is your fav so far?

Yes my favourites are this one or the black enamel above. I think I need to try and find something similar and try them on

Thank you for your thoughts

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
With enamel, I always worry a bit about what happens when they are damaged. Just something to think about in case it bothers you:

@Christinak First, I'm so thrilled you love the opal! Yay!! Second, I agree that the black enamel will really set off the color play. But my favorite of the ideas shown has to be the simple brushed bezel. It's clean and classic, but modern because of the satin finish. You can have some fun with gold colors too, like maybe using peach or green. :)

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Fabulous opal!

Like Autumn in New England, I'm drawn to the simple brushed gold bezel ring. It's clean and stylish, and the yellow gold sets off the blue of the opal.

I also like the idea of black enamel - black would bring out the colours. The full dome worries me - it would be just too easy to knock. Maybe you could use a black enamel panel, with a yellow gold bezel around the stone and a yellow gold rim. This would give good contrasts and protection.

Thinking more broadly, what do you see in the stone? What do you want to bring out? I see earth from space, with blue oceans and patches of land. Or more abstractly, creation from the void (as in Genesis). As to how you would bring these out, well... I'm not so sure. What matters is what you see in the stone.

Last edited:

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
@Christinak First, I'm so thrilled you love the opal! Yay!! Second, I agree that the black enamel will really set off the color play. But my favorite of the ideas shown has to be the simple brushed bezel. It's clean and classic, but modern because of the satin finish. You can have some fun with gold colors too, like maybe using peach or green. :)

Thank you @Autumn in New England
I too love the simple bezel but due to rather large fingers am concerned this won’t be enough finger coverage. Oh to have maybe put a bit more money in a larger opal. I did see if I could find one with similar colour that was larger but there wasn’t any in opal galaxy’s inventory.

Fabulous opal!

Like Autumn in New England, I'm drawn to the simple brushed gold bezel ring. It's clean and stylish, and the yellow gold sets off the blue of the opal.

I also like the idea of black enamel - black would bring out the colours. The full dome worries me - it would be just too easy to knock. Maybe you could use a black enamel panel, with a yellow gold bezel around the stone and a yellow gold rim. This would give good contrasts and protection.

Thinking more broadly, what do you see in the stone? What do you want to bring out? I see earth from space, with blue oceans and patches of land. Or more abstractly, creation from the void (as in Genesis). As to how you would bring these out, well... I'm not so sure. What matters is what you see in the stone.

Thank you. I actually love this ring below too. I could have black or blue enamel in the halo instead of the opal. This is a rough mock up but I don’t have the skills to add the blue or black enamel halo!

70003027-FAA2-4369-8B27-75EB33194AAE.jpeg

My issue is being able to visualise the options. I think I may need to try on some rings too.

In terms of what I see in the stone. From the initial video before I bought it through to now, I see the Caribbean or the Great Barrier Reef. My favourite colour is the sea on a sunny day and this opal is just that mix of turquoise and greens and blues with a smattering of coral colours. That’s why initially I wanted to surround it with paraiba. But it’s just not working for me (I don’t want a halo no matter how much I think I SHOULD want a halo!)

Thank you for all the inputs. Lots to think about.

Last edited:

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
So this is where the party is happening... I want to come to your house! :) I'm absolutely obsessed with those earrings and can't want to see the result. And the ring... CLASSIC.

David finished with the CAD on my "autumn" ring, but I'm holding off for now, as I'm trying to source some FCD accent stones for my heart diamond. My budget is not allowing both at the moment, unfortunately.

Anyway! As you know, the inner halo will be white diamonds and the outer will be a mixture of fall-colored FCDs. The entire ring will be 18k YG and the leaves will alternate between RG and PLAT. It will either be my dream ring for Sep-Nov or a total Frankenstein. lol We shall see! Thanks for asking. :D

I LOVE the cad!!! This is gonna be grand :kiss2:

Very curious what color FCDs you will use for your heart diamond and what design! Please share!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the quote for a pair of earth-mined diamond (I am going to start using EMD more often!) flower jackets for my near 1cttw EMDs with 2.9mm stones, 9 per jacket, G/H colour VS clarity to match the studs.

The studs were made for me when I was about 11/12yo, my first significant jewellery item, so they are sentimental.

The design is a air gap/line halo, similar to the bottom dangle of these earrings without the millgrain:

vintage-style-diamond-cluster-earrings-4_3_20-1-11462.jpg

These would probably be made after I have set the two pairs of CS pear drops to be worn with my tiny huggies, a pair of Aquamarine and a pair of Petalite, with a thin metal band wrapped around the girdle of the stones.

I am asking my bench to repurpose the 3mm Moissy inside out oval hoops they had made for me into something else, as they were too wide and did not sit well on my ears for my liking.

DK :))

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Got a 2+ ct blue sapphire, that’s a liiiiittle wonkily cut. Working with CvB on getting it set in her Clara design. Right now thinking of doing it in YG with a plat bezel around the sapphire. Hoping the bezel can hide the stone’s asymmetry :razz:

3E8FD0CE-87D3-4CB1-A8AE-9EB5BF80C2C0.jpeg DC1FE055-9C52-4A5F-B60A-849243D38B32.jpeg 28644E71-BE26-4912-9E1A-284A1C2145F9.jpeg

M

maru8888777

Got a 2+ ct blue sapphire, that’s a liiiiittle wonkily cut. Working with CvB on getting it set in her Clara design. Right now thinking of doing it in YG with a plat bezel around the sapphire. Hoping the bezel can hide the stone’s asymmetry :razz:

3E8FD0CE-87D3-4CB1-A8AE-9EB5BF80C2C0.jpeg DC1FE055-9C52-4A5F-B60A-849243D38B32.jpeg 28644E71-BE26-4912-9E1A-284A1C2145F9.jpeg

That color is something!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That truly is a magnificent color!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are the two pairs of gemstone pear drops that I am setting as interchangeable drops side by side, pale blue Aqua at the top, the bottom pair measures 16.10 x 10.50 x 6.20mm:

1673127759932.png

The Aquas are likely to be set in something like this with a much smaller gap between the Aqua and the outer diamond halo, and they will swing independently:

s-l500 (3).jpg

The Petalites being bigger, they will be set with a thin band around the girdle, with or without just one small connecting round diamond (to be decided), something like this:

Capture#5.JPG

That is the perfect shade of cornflower blue, IMO. I look forward to seeing the finished piece! P.S. Since the asymmetry is very slight, a clever jeweler should have no problem offsetting it with a the bezel. I had a large cushion rubellite with very similar proportions. Otherwise, the cut was quite nice, much like yours. I had a lap just nip the girdle and it evened the stone right out - no need for a full or partial recut. But since you're bezeling it (I was not), I think you'll be fine. :)

These are the two pairs of gemstone pear drops that I am setting as interchangeable drops side by side, pale blue Aqua at the top, the bottom pair measures 16.10 x 10.50 x 6.20mm:

1673127759932.png

The Aquas are likely to be set in something like this with a much smaller gap between the Aqua and the outer diamond halo, and they will swing independently:

s-l500 (3).jpg

The Petalites being bigger, they will be set with a thin band around the girdle, with or without just one small connecting round diamond (to be decided), something like this:

Capture#5.JPG

You have some really fun projects on the horizon, dk!! :geek2:

I LOVE the cad!!! This is gonna be grand :kiss2:

Very curious what color FCDs you will use for your heart diamond and what design! Please share!!

I hope so, CB... thank you!! :appl:

I think I might start a new thread about the heart diamond ring, because I'd like to get opinions and maybe even have a poll. Stay tuned!

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
That is the perfect shade of cornflower blue, IMO. I look forward to seeing the finished piece! P.S. Since the asymmetry is very slight, a clever jeweler should have no problem offsetting it with a the bezel. I had a large cushion rubellite with very similar proportions. Otherwise, the cut was quite nice, much like yours. I had a lap just nip the girdle and it evened the stone right out - no need for a full or partial recut. But since you're bezeling it (I was not), I think you'll be fine. :)

Ha, cheers for the word :) I’ve been told a bezel can hide a lot of sins :)

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock

Oh but the color…I don’t seethe wonkiness because I am mesmerised by the color.
Rock on.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Fabulous opal!

I love the simple brushed gold setting, too. It makes the Opal pop.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock

The leaves!!! I love the leaves! This is just so cool and unusual. And the twisted shank like little twining branches. This is a work of art honestly.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The plan for 2023
  • A dbty anklet (in progress)
  • CRD pink-purple garnet ring flanked by two neon pink sapphires and diamond melee (waiting for CAD)
  • Have CRD set the peruvian opal pair shown below (likely a ring and pendant with moonstone cab melee).​
  • Begin a major destash
    20221011_202316 (2).jpg

Attachments

• pink-purple garnet.jpg
    pink-purple garnet.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 13
The plan for 2023
  • A dbty anklet (in progress)
  • CRD pink-purple garnet ring flanked by two neon pink sapphires and diamond melee (waiting for CAD)
  • Have CRD set the peruvian opal pair shown below (likely a ring and pendant with moonstone cab melee).​
  • Begin a major destash
    20221011_202316 (2).jpg

Those opals literally look like a Caribbean tide pool.
cloud9emoti.gif
They remind me of gem silica, which is a favorite gem of mine. It's very saturated and also quite hard/durable. You should take a look if you love Peruvian opal.

Especially looking forward to seeing that garnet/sapphire ring become a reality!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is most likely to be the next CS I shall be setting, a blue Zircon windmill as in Asscher cut by Jeff White, 7.04ct 9.25 x 9.25mm:

JW_BlueAsscherZircon_7.04ct_9.25x9.25mm.jpg

This is the inspiration ring I have in mind, no millgrain, and I would probably want the main stone to be bezel-set and keep the 4 prongs as non-functional design elements (as in not actually relying on them to hold the stone in place):

173ad-373x3-aquamarine-engagement-ring-with-surrounding-diamonds-620h-650.jpg 173ad-377x3-650_1_50.jpg 173ad-vintage-aquamarine-and-diamond-cluster-ring-367x11-500h-650.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results