shape
carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The blue green is TDF and so is the setting. Would you know where the setting is from?

As requested pics of my purchases from amyek (vickygigi on LT):

1.36 ct. (6.62 x 6.59 x 4.26 mm) Leuco Garnet. Asscher cut (Peter Torraca)
I see a little blue sheen when the sunlight hits it at different angles.
20170825_115638.jpg

1.05ct (6mm) Bekily color change garnet facted by Bob Sivinski in 14k setting with diamonds.
Love the obvious color shift/change as you go from indoors to out - I see dark blue, dark purple, mauve depending on the light...here's just a couple of its personalities.

bekily ccg ring indoors.jpg bekily ccg ring.jpg

1.40 ct hot pink tourmaline from the Queen Mine Pala, CA faceted by Jeff Hapeman
To me it shifts from a softer orange-pink to amazing hot pink (better than my pic) depending upon the lighting.

California pink tourmaline indoors.jpg California pink tourmaline.jpg

And last but certainly not least...
2.23 ct (8.2mm) Afgahni blue-green Tourmaline facted by Barry Bridgestock in a beautiful 18kt gold setting.
As soon as I saw the pictures Amy sent me, I had to have it. Pictures can't capture how bright this stone is IRL.

afghani tourmaline closeup.jpg afghani tourmaline outdoors.jpg afghani tourmaline side.jpg afghani tourmaline top.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The blue green is TDF and so is the setting. Would you know where the setting is from?
My apologies..just saw this.. unfortunately I don't know. I believe Amy said she got it from another PSer and it's inspiration was a Tacori setting

After looking around, i finally went back and had my Jeff White tourmaline set in the setting I first picked out for it. I really love how this one came together and it now feels like my collection of green-blue rings is complete.. unless I win the lottery :lol-2:
IMG_20170916_133359.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My apologies..just saw this.. unfortunately I don't know. I believe Amy said she got it from another PSer and it's inspiration was a Tacori setting

After looking around, i finally went back and had my Jeff White tourmaline set in the setting I first picked out for it. I really love how this one came together and it now feels like my collection of green-blue rings is complete.. unless I win the lottery :lol-2:
IMG_20170916_133359.jpg

I love the color of your tourmaline. It's such a beautiful blue green. :mrgreen2:
The setting you picked compliments it beautifully. Your nails look awesome too BTW. :D

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here is my 2ct crystallized aspestos from the Jeffrey mine. I am far, far too excited about it. It will be shipped on Monday!
2017-09-30_19.53.50.jpg

Did you mean hessonite garnet from Jeffrey Mine , Asbestos, Quebec... Asbestos as a location or...

truly crystallized asbestos? If it is crystallized asbestos it should be kept in a tight, sealed display case away from body contact and air exposure as all asbestos are harmful especially the blue and brown ones...

It is beautiful though.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It is a garnet that contains trace amounts of aspestos. It makes it brown. The fact that it is a garnet that contains aspestos would have been the key information for me to include!

Last edited:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a garnet that contains trace amounts of aspestos. It makes it brown. The fact that it is a garnet that contains aspestos would have been the key information for me to include!

I love interesting stones. I have a very small purple vesuviante from the Jeffry Mine which I believe is closed now. Your garnet is such a nice size..will you set it?

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love interesting stones. I have a very small purple vesuviante from the Jeffry Mine which I believe is closed now. Your garnet is such a nice size..will you set it?
I want to see a photo! That mine really produce some beautiful specimens. My understanding was it closed in the early 1970s due to hazardous working conditions. My Jeweler said he went there in 1968 and he was allowed to tour inside of it and it was still active.

I am thinking a kite tension setting in rose gold.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to see a photo! That mine really produce some beautiful specimens. My understanding was it closed in the early 1970s due to hazardous working conditions. My Jeweler said he went there in 1968 and he was allowed to tour inside of it and it was still active.

I am thinking a kite tension setting in rose gold.
A unique setting for a unique stone!

My vesuvianite is tiny...24 ct..3.6 mm..at one point I was into collecting small rare stones and creating a series of stacking rings to mix and match.. another unfinished project lol. IMG_20171001_160738.jpg

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Did you mean hessonite garnet from Jeffrey Mine , Asbestos, Quebec... Asbestos as a location or...

truly crystallized asbestos? If it is crystallized asbestos it should be kept in a tight, sealed display case away from body contact and air exposure as all asbestos are harmful especially the blue and brown ones...

It is beautiful though.

Agree - It is a hessonite colored by iron. Jeffrey Mine, Asbestos, Quebec.
A famous source for grossular ( hessonite, chrome grossular, green dot garnet and leucogrossular) and Vesuvianite ( green colored by chrome and pink to violet colored by mangan.

Pretty stone!

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

My vesuvianite is tiny...24 ct..3.6 mm..at one point I was into collecting small rare stones and creating a series of stacking rings to mix and match.. another unfinished project lol. IMG_20171001_160738.jpg

They are really rare! And a beautiful one too.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Agree - It is a hessonite colored by iron. Jeffrey Mine, Asbestos, Quebec.
A famous source for grossular ( hessonite, chrome grossular, green dot garnet and leucogrossular) and Vesuvianite ( green colored by chrome and pink to violet colored by mangan.

Pretty stone!
Humm... I have had two geologist say it does contain trace amounts of aspestos. Is that incorrect? I just want to be sure I am giving correct information.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium

That color is rediculious. What else did you want to stack with it?

Last edited:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the color of your tourmaline. It's such a beautiful blue green. :mrgreen2:
The setting you picked compliments it beautifully. Your nails look awesome too BTW. :D

Just saw this...thank you! The ring has quickly become a favorite of mine. Unfortunately, I wish I could keep my nails long like yours without polishing...if I don't polish them, I am always picking at them, splitting them, etc.).

That color is rediculious. What else did you want to stack with it?

I don't know...maybe my jeremejevite and something else? My idea was to create a bunch of little rare stone stack rings so I could mix/match. My jeweler says I'd be better off grouping my little stones into a few multi-stone pieces...maybe I'll start a thread one day to seek out ideas.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A cheap one - test a grossular is easy. Don't spend to much money.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I'm not really a collector of rare gems in general but I have a Mangano Vesuvianite from Jeffrey's mine too but a mineral specimen. A lady from Quebec who was really nice to me gave it to me many moons ago, together with some other stones from Canada and Greenland.

image.jpeg

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just saw this...thank you! The ring has quickly become a favorite of mine. Unfortunately, I wish I could keep my nails long like yours without polishing...if I don't polish them, I am always picking at them, splitting them, etc.).

I don't know...maybe my jeremejevite and something else? My idea was to create a bunch of little rare stone stack rings so I could mix/match. My jeweler says I'd be better off grouping my little stones into a few multi-stone pieces...maybe I'll start a thread one day to seek out ideas.
You have a jeremejevite?! Please show and tell! Also, I've never seen a vesuvusnite that color. Very pretty!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_3854.JPG

Just bought this! I have bought so many gems lately I need someone to take away my credit cards! But I'm done now. Phew. It's about 2.3 carats and it's a Nigerian tourmaline
Beautiful! I love the color and cut! I'm at the point with gems where I really need to set some before I buy any more.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3854.JPG

Just bought this! I have bought so many gems lately I need someone to take away my credit cards! But I'm done now. Phew. It's about 2.3 carats and it's a Nigerian tourmaline

Girl, I can relate!!! :eek-2::lol:

The color on this is lovely and he cut really draws the eye. Where did you get it? Do you have any plans for it yet?

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Elle I have 5 stones now and no idea on how to set them including this one!! Also totally out of budget.

The cut is called Void weaver and I got it from excess design. I was actually looking for a greenish blue but that didn't end up happening and I just couldn't pass up this shot.

I don't have any plans yet but do share your suggestions

Girl, I can relate!!! :eek-2::lol:

The color on this is lovely and he cut really draws the eye. Where did you get it? Do you have any plans for it yet?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elle I have 5 stones now and no idea on how to set them including this one!! Also totally out of budget.

The cut is called Void weaver and I got it from excess design. I was actually looking for a greenish blue but that didn't end up happening and I just couldn't pass up this shot.

I don't have any plans yet but do share your suggestions

I just saw the video for that on FB. So beautiful and sparkly. I have never heard of that cut before but it is very pleasing to look at. :love: I'm a halo girl all the way so that's what I would do (but it would look beautiful as a solitaire too).

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A halo does sound lovely. I saw a ring online with an incredibly thin halo but I'm not sure it can be replicated too easily and for different shapes .. what do you think?
IMG_3451.jpg

I just saw the video for that on FB. So beautiful and sparkly. I have never heard of that cut before but it is very pleasing to look at. :love: I'm a halo girl all the way so that's what I would do (but it would look beautiful as a solitaire too).

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so smitten! This cab I posted earlier is now set.
heart.jpg heart2.jpg heart9.jpg
Thanks to a lovely PS'er for letting this awesome cab come my way-
And to another lovely PS'er for being gracious to my impatience and doubt.
And of course DKJ.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so smitten! This cab I posted earlier is now set.
heart.jpg heart2.jpg heart9.jpg
Thanks to a lovely PS'er for letting this awesome cab come my way-
And to another lovely PS'er for being gracious to my impatience and doubt.
And of course DKJ.

Love the profile on this! :kiss2: Plus, the cab is nice and chubby and looks so sweet. :mrgreen2:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher my jealousy!!!! It burns!!!! What is that divine amazing stone????????

THE GREEN!!!!!!!!!! IN A HEART!!!!!!!!!! That is fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I cannot wait to see what you mount that in.. such a color.. :love:

Here is my 2ct crystallized aspestos from the Jeffrey mine. I am far, far too excited about it. It will be shipped on Monday!
2017-09-30_19.53.50.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results