shape
carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just realized I should've washed my hands before taking pictures, lol.

I've always wanted a sugarloaf cab ring and spotted this months ago at a gem show from Vance Gems. Now it's happily on my finger. I love how the shape hides the inclusions and makes the light bounce around it. Hopefully not my last sugarloaf cab.
3.80 tourmaline cab set in 18kt

vance sugarload tourmaline ring.jpg vance sugarload tourmaline ring profile.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
beautiful new things, Lilmosun! I love the tourmaline rings. And your nail polish is awesome! You've inspired me.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Keeliamira, I have no idea what those could be! I see the variation in color in some beads. I would think chalcedony but that doesn't cut glass. Those are a real mystery to me. I love the blue color and the gold. Maybe they are indicolite?
They could be! Tourmaline is higher on the Mohs scale than jade. Though I suppose they could be dyed jade too.

Maybe dyed jade? I love the color!
Me too, Thanks! :)) Your rings are beautiful! The cc garnet ... oooohhh, I love. And the blue of your tourmaline is TDF! What a gorgeous setting too!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They could be! Tourmaline is higher on the Mohs scale than jade. Though I suppose they could be dyed jade too.

Me too, Thanks! :)) Your rings are beautiful! The cc garnet ... oooohhh, I love. And the blue of your tourmaline is TDF! What a gorgeous setting too!
My guess is that IF they are jade, they are C grade, which is polymer impregnated with dye added. The polymer would make much of the grain disappear into a more jelly like look. Natural jade with the lack of crystalline texture, as in those beads, is very rare and would be extremely expensive.
The color does look like really nice indicolite though, and they have a gorgeous blue. I'm hoping that's what they are because that would be an awesome find!

. Re: selling as jade, Chinese have a tradition of calling semi precious stones 'jade' as well. A more accurate description to look for would be Fei Cui, or A grade jadeite, ( which means untreated). Some sellers list bangles as 'jade' which are usually serpentine, rose quartz and chalcedony, and then specifically list 'jadeite jade' for the jade that we think of.

Actually, recently, they have begun to successfully dye nephrite jade, which used to be very difficult to do. You would notice a web of fine dye lines in the light, and would see an unusual shifting of blue to green .

Last edited:

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
My guess is that IF they are jade, they are C grade, which is polymer impregnated with dye added. The polymer would make much of the grain disappear into a more jelly like look. Natural jade with the lack of crystalline texture, as in those beads, is very rare and would be extremely expensive.
The color does look like really nice indicolite though, and they have a gorgeous blue. I'm hoping that's what they are because that would be an awesome find!

. Re: selling as jade, Chinese have a tradition of calling semi precious stones 'jade' as well. A more accurate description to look for would be Fei Cui, or A grade jadeite, ( which means untreated). Some sellers list bangles as 'jade' which are usually serpentine, rose quartz and chalcedony, and then specifically list 'jadeite jade' for the jade that we think of.

Actually, recently, they have begun to successfully dye nephrite jade, which used to be very difficult to do. You would notice a web of fine dye lines in the light, and would see an unusual shifting of blue to green .
You are my jade guru, Bluegemz. I learn so much from your posts! I did pick up a pair of jade earrings that ended up being C grade so I am aware of what the dye lines look like. I'll try to take some louped photos of the beads. The only inclusions I've been able to find are a couple of well-deliniated tiny black specs. If they are tourmaline that would be so neat!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are my jade guru, Bluegemz. I learn so much from your posts! I did pick up a pair of jade earrings that ended up being C grade so I am aware of what the dye lines look like. I'll try to take some louped photos of the beads. The only inclusions I've been able to find are a couple of well-deliniated tiny black specs. If they are tourmaline that would be so neat!
I'm really glad I can pass on information! Looking forward to pics.

Once, early in my jade history, I bought some dyed green nephrite beads. I should have known that they were way too inexpensive for the size and color. When they arrived, they looked like a rich, almost emerald green. But in moving them around, I saw flashes of olive green, which was the color, before having been dyed. It was very strange.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CAD was approved yesterday and I have a 10 day lead time!
Fun!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As requested pics of my purchases from amyek (vickygigi on LT):

1.36 ct. (6.62 x 6.59 x 4.26 mm) Leuco Garnet. Asscher cut (Peter Torraca)
I see a little blue sheen when the sunlight hits it at different angles.
20170825_115638.jpg

1.05ct (6mm) Bekily color change garnet facted by Bob Sivinski in 14k setting with diamonds.
Love the obvious color shift/change as you go from indoors to out - I see dark blue, dark purple, mauve depending on the light...here's just a couple of its personalities.

bekily ccg ring indoors.jpg bekily ccg ring.jpg

1.40 ct hot pink tourmaline from the Queen Mine Pala, CA faceted by Jeff Hapeman
To me it shifts from a softer orange-pink to amazing hot pink (better than my pic) depending upon the lighting.

California pink tourmaline indoors.jpg California pink tourmaline.jpg

And last but certainly not least...
2.23 ct (8.2mm) Afgahni blue-green Tourmaline facted by Barry Bridgestock in a beautiful 18kt gold setting.
As soon as I saw the pictures Amy sent me, I had to have it. Pictures can't capture how bright this stone is IRL.

afghani tourmaline closeup.jpg afghani tourmaline outdoors.jpg afghani tourmaline side.jpg afghani tourmaline top.jpg

Oh my God, that Afghan tourmaline is so much more beautiful than I imagined.:kiss2: I'm calling dibs again (just in case you ever decide to part with it).
That setting is so pretty too. I love the tiny diamonds waving around the gem. So neat! :love:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coming out of colored stone retirement to buy this 1.41 unheated color change sapphire from Barry. He is still my favorite cutter by far and it's once in a blue moon he cuts a sapphire.

Now I just have to figure out how to set it!

barry1.41untreated.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Coming out of colored stone retirement to buy this 1.41 unheated color change sapphire from Barry. He is still my favorite cutter by far and it's once in a blue moon he cuts a sapphire.

barry1.41untreated.jpg

Lovely and once in a blue moon is right! Barry is such a dear to deal with :)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

barry1.41untreated.jpg

Hope you share more pics, once you get it. It looks lovely and I have a total soft spot for color change gems. :kiss2:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely will! Yeah I have another Burmese darker blue sapphire that color changes as well which I love.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sapphire2.jpg

Madagascan Sapphire, possibly unheated, 1.12 ct, colour shifts from violet to lavender and almost pink in artificial light. The cut not symmetrical and it does have a tiny window (from certain angles) but when in hand it's almost invisible and will probably close when set. The colour is really light and it never goes dark.

Attachments

• Sapphire3.jpg
    Sapphire3.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 47

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@limosun I love your new additions! Where is the setting from for the barry B tourmaline? I love it!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphire2.jpg

Madagascan Sapphire, possibly unheated, 1.12 ct, colour shifts from violet to lavender and almost pink in artificial light. The cut not symmetrical and it does have a tiny window (from certain angles) but when in hand it's almost invisible and will probably close when set. The colour is really light and it never goes dark.

So neat! :lol-2: I love color change gems!!! :kiss2:

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So neat! :lol-2: I love color change gems!!! :kiss2:
Thanks!
It was a real steal this one! One of the best deals I got on a gem.
Will make a ring out of it one day.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dumortierite in quartz. I find the inclusions and color fascinating! No plans for setting. I think it will stay loose. Haven't seen many examples of dumortierite on PS. Anyone else have one? :bigsmile:

20170917_102820.jpg IMG_20170917_105631_103.jpg IMG_20170917_105631_101.jpg

Wowowow. Very nice stone Mochiko!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dumortierite in quartz. I find the inclusions and color fascinating! No plans for setting. I think it will stay loose. Haven't seen many examples of dumortierite on PS. Anyone else have one? :bigsmile:

20170917_102820.jpg IMG_20170917_105631_103.jpg IMG_20170917_105631_101.jpg

Wow. That's really neat. That must be such a cool gem in person. It's like its own little world in there. Have you looked at it under a loupe? :D

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Mochi- That gem is fantastic! :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely love it, Mochiko! I would never grow tired of staring at that one.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you plan to leave it loose mochiko, but that quartz would make a beautiful pendant as well! I love "picture-like" stones but never seen one with such beautiful blue coloring.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
looks like an alien world inside that quartz cab, so pretty

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ditto what they all said and to me, they look like spunky blue sea urchins in a crystal clear sea!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! It does look like sea urchins! :)

elle, I haven't looked at it through my 10x loupe yet but will do so soon. The quartz is so clear that it will be interesting to see what new discoveries await upon magnification :D

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bought a couple of spinels and a teardrop tourmaline online 20170919_003158-1.jpg 20170919_002950.jpg 20170919_002448-1.jpg

I like how the two spinels are matched in shape. Will you set them together? What do you plan to do with the tourmaline?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like how the two spinels are matched in shape. Will you set them together? What do you plan to do with the tourmaline?

I bought the 2 spinels off 2 different sellers, size unplanned :razz:

No plans yet. I think i will just collect more and decide to set at a later date. The spinels could also be part of a BTY spinel necklace I have in mind.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results