shape
carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for fun, I bought an antique ring online for $45. The seller said the metal was unmarked and they didn't know what the stones were. I could tell by the prongs/setting that the metal was likely gold and, at worst, paste gems. To my surprise, once I cleaned off about 80 years of grime (and I mean GRIME), I discovered I had a brilliant little ring with a half carat Vvs1 transitional diamond and two bright, exceptionally clean, natural emeralds almost the size of the diamond in 14k! Best $45 I've spent all year :dance:

First pic is the image from the seller. Second is under artificial lighting at the grocery store. Third is sun through a window. Doin' a little happy dance!
Screenshot_2017-07-21-15-23-58.png IMG_20170721_165946649.jpg IMG_20170721_151922909.jpg

So cool! Score!!!! Congrats on your good eye.

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Mochiko its so pretty, how are you thinking about setting it?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher your one looks lovely! I can see it set East-West in a sleek, minimal setting. Yum! What is the size again?

The one I have has quite a high dome. I'm planning to set it in yellow gold. :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochiko42-
It's slightly smaller at 5.24 Ct /12.1x10.4mm. It is slightly included off to one corner, but nothing that bothers me.
Yes- a sleek low e/w setting would suit this stone well!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow...I have some catching up to do :lol: But I'll start by commenting on the gorgeous rose quartz cab pendant and beautiful aquaprase stones (can't wait to see how you ladies set them!).

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This 9.2 x 10.5 x 7 emerald cab found its way to me, thanks to a lovely PS'er.
IMG_1032.JPG
Love this! I've not seen such a sweet emerald heart before. Do you have a design in mind already?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2004.JPG New garnet from Dan Stair.
I'm astonished by the light color of it. I've never seen a garnet quite like it before. Beautiful!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this! I've not seen such a sweet emerald heart before. Do you have a design in mind already?

Thank you Bluegemz!
I actually do have an inspiration setting in mind- I posted it in the "show me your profile" thread. So I now struggle on being inspired, and not copying- because I think it's pretty much perfect as is.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_0245.JPG IMG_0246.JPG IMG_0244.JPG IMG_0247.JPG IMG_0243.JPG Purchases from the gem and mineral shows in Spruce Pine, NC.
1. The first two pics are of a lavender spinel from Sri Lanka (1.47 carats). It looks different in every light. It goes from lavender to blue to gray.
2. I finally found a Pakistani peridot. Yay! It's 3.46 carats.
3. Pair of chrysoberyls I had set in 14kwg earrings. They are a little greener than than the chrysoberyl I bought in December.
4. Minty beryl. It's small (78 carats), but I love the cut and color.

Attachments

• IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 26

arabella

Shiny_Rock
I received this red spinel ring as a gift from my family for completing my master's degree a while back. It came from a trusted local jeweler who specializes in colored stones. Last time I was in, he had a gigantic paraiba ring on display. I try to stay away from there because everything is too tempting and I have little-to-no self control :lol-2: Everyone knew I have been lusting after a red-red spinel and this one is just what I wanted. I hated photographing it though - my phone tended to give it more pink than it has. Hopefully these pics work...I am on said phone.

IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received this red spinel ring as a gift from my family for completing my master's degree a while back. It came from a trusted local jeweler who specializes in colored stones. Last time I was in, he had a gigantic paraiba ring on display. I try to stay away from there because everything is too tempting and I have little-to-no self control :lol-2: Everyone knew I have been lusting after a red-red spinel and this one is just what I wanted. I hated photographing it though - my phone tended to give it more pink than it has. Hopefully these pics work...I am on said phone.

IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG
Really love the style of it. Beautiful, clean lines and a lovely stone. I think it strikes a wonderful balance between modernity and sentimentality. Congrats on getting your degree!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

I love it! That is a gorgeous red and I love the classic design! :love: I need some stats. It looks like a pretty decent size.
It's a good thing I don't have any great CS jewelers in the area because I don't think I could handle being tempted by this kind of gorgeousness on the regular. :confused2:

Oh, and congrats on completing your masters. :dance:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on completing your masters! I love the red red red of your spinel. The setting is perfect to let the center stone stand out. :)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

This beauty deserves it's own thread. Gorgeous color! :love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely spinel! Congratulations on completing your masters degree!!

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Arabella, the color of your spinel is scrumptious! Huge congrats on conquering grad school!!

Ilovegemstones what a sweet combination between the pink and the blue. It looks great with your other gorgeous sapphire and I adore the engraving on your rings!

So this strand of beads arrived today and I am at a loss to figure out what the heck they are. The eBay photos made their color appear to be close to dark oily jade and the antique dealer I purchased them from had them listed as jade. The spacer beads test as 14k. There are no visible bubbles or particular crystalline structure. There is some variation color from bead to bead and the best description I can give them is indocolite color. No uv reaction and they scratch glass. Any guesses?
IMG_2017-08-21_20-12-34.JPG
IMG_20170821_205723569.jpg

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arabella, the color of your spinel is scrumptious! Huge congrats on conquering grad school!!

Ilovegemstones what a sweet combination between the pink and the blue. It looks great with your other gorgeous sapphire and I adore the engraving on your rings!

So this strand of beads arrived today and I am at a loss to figure out what the heck they are. The eBay photos made their color appear to be close to dark oily jade and the antique dealer I purchased them from had them listed as jade. The spacer beads test as 14k. There are no visible bubbles or particular crystalline structure. There is some variation color from bead to bead and the best description I can give them is indocolite color. No uv reaction and they scratch glass. Any guesses?
IMG_2017-08-21_20-12-34.JPG
IMG_20170821_205723569.jpg
Keeliamira, I have no idea what those could be! I see the variation in color in some beads. I would think chalcedony but that doesn't cut glass. Those are a real mystery to me. I love the blue color and the gold. Maybe they are indicolite?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keeliamira, I have no idea what those could be! I see the variation in color in some beads. I would think chalcedony but that doesn't cut glass. Those are a real mystery to me. I love the blue color and the gold. Maybe they are indicolite?

Maybe dyed jade? I love the color!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As requested pics of my purchases from amyek (vickygigi on LT):

1.36 ct. (6.62 x 6.59 x 4.26 mm) Leuco Garnet. Asscher cut (Peter Torraca)
I see a little blue sheen when the sunlight hits it at different angles.
20170825_115638.jpg

1.05ct (6mm) Bekily color change garnet facted by Bob Sivinski in 14k setting with diamonds.
Love the obvious color shift/change as you go from indoors to out - I see dark blue, dark purple, mauve depending on the light...here's just a couple of its personalities.

bekily ccg ring indoors.jpg bekily ccg ring.jpg

1.40 ct hot pink tourmaline from the Queen Mine Pala, CA faceted by Jeff Hapeman
To me it shifts from a softer orange-pink to amazing hot pink (better than my pic) depending upon the lighting.

California pink tourmaline indoors.jpg California pink tourmaline.jpg

And last but certainly not least...
2.23 ct (8.2mm) Afgahni blue-green Tourmaline facted by Barry Bridgestock in a beautiful 18kt gold setting.
As soon as I saw the pictures Amy sent me, I had to have it. Pictures can't capture how bright this stone is IRL.

afghani tourmaline closeup.jpg afghani tourmaline outdoors.jpg afghani tourmaline side.jpg afghani tourmaline top.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results