shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Lab Grown Diamonds- boron?

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Thought I'd share pictures of my blue stone as an example of the variance out there. Oval is set with natural mined E/F (apparently) side stones which I think help provide some context in assessing the blue nuance.

Screenshot_20211027-204208_Samsung Internet.jpg 20210516_094946.jpg 20211021_153434.jpg 20211022_131317.jpg 20210224_100349.jpg

Lovely ring on beautiful hands.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Thought I'd share pictures of my blue stone as an example of the variance out there. Oval is set with natural mined E/F (apparently) side stones which I think help provide some context in assessing the blue nuance.

Screenshot_20211027-204208_Samsung Internet.jpg 20210516_094946.jpg 20211021_153434.jpg 20211022_131317.jpg 20210224_100349.jpg

Very pretty ring!!

I only see a hint of Blue in the JA photo (and I'm not even sure I'd call that Blue, could just be the pic.)

All the other pics look normal to me.

What makes you say your stone has Blue nuance? Does it mention it on the report?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Here's one just posted on Reddit. It's a 3ct D, IF lan that's very Blue. I don't think I've ever seen a natural emerald cut look like this even when it's reflecting a Blue object.

I want to ask if it's blue nuance but people get insulted soo..

Link to PIC

eta: I keep posting about this because I think it's way too common and people don't always understand what it looks like. I mean to me, that diamond looks unnatural. If I saw it in person and it was that Blue, I wouldn't even think it was a diamond.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's a 3ct D, IF

Cool! Not to doubt you, but as a non reddit user.....maybe I'm missing something....but where do we see a lab report calling the stone D/IF?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Cool! Not to doubt you, but as a non reddit user.....maybe I'm missing something....but where do we see a lab report calling the stone D/IF?

She purchased the stone from her jeweler who said it was a D, IF lab diamond.
I didn't ask to see the cert.
There's really no reason to doubt her. Most of the lab stones I see (with the IGI cert) are colorless with VVS clarity. But even if it's a lower color (G, H, or I), that doesn't change the fact that the stone looks blue.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There's really no reason to doubt her

If we're sitting in a bar over drinks, sure.
IN a discussion like this...not so much.
Maybe the jeweler wasn't being honest....
Based on the pic, I can't imagine ANY lab calling that stone a D

The point is- we don't have specifics on the stone in the pic, we don't know which lab, or what they said....
but it's pretty:)

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
If we're sitting in a bar over drinks, sure.
IN a discussion like this...not so much.
Maybe the jeweler wasn't being honest....
Based on the pic, I can't imagine ANY lab calling that stone a D

The point is- we don't have specifics on the stone in the pic, we don't know which lab, or what they said....
but it's pretty:)

Your posts are always distrustful of every jeweler or diamond vendor that you don't "personally" know. No offense, but I never worked with you either, so should I doubt everything you post here? Just sayin' =)2

Also, Just because she didn't post the cert. doesn't mean it didn't come with one.

Oh, and IGI does in fact call them D or G's or whatever. The stone I posted earlier had an IGI report that I saved saying it was a G. It also mentioned Blue nuance.

I have another pic of a lab that IGI graded an E. The Blue in it is also obvious. I didn't save the cert for that one, but the poster (in one of my social media groups) did show the report.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your posts are always distrustful of every jeweler or diamond vendor that you don't "personally" know.

Hi Elle,
That's kinda harsh......no?
In fact, I always take great pains not to "trash" other sellers. My comment above was written on the fly- and I should have worded it better...I meant no offense to any specific jeweler.

Is consumer skepticism warranted?
Yes in many cases....there's a lot of BS out there.....
I do spend a lot of time assisting consumers here, a main goal is assisting them in determining what is and isn't BS.

The motivation behind my posting this thread is that there's a lot of misinformation out there about Blue Lab Grown Diamonds.

There surely are Blue Nuance diamonds in higher colors.

To be truly informative to all the readers, we would need to see a report, and then we can assess the diamond and report.
If a jeweler was trying to sell you a D/IF, that looked as blue as that photo... ..wouldn't you ask to see the lab report?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Hi Elle,
That's kinda harsh......no?
In fact, I always take great pains not to "trash" other sellers. My comment above was written on the fly- and I should have worded it better...I meant no offense to any specific jeweler.

Is consumer skepticism warranted?
Yes in many cases....there's a lot of BS out there.....
I do spend a lot of time assisting consumers here, a main goal is assisting them in determining what is and isn't BS.

The motivation behind my posting this thread is that there's a lot of misinformation out there about Blue Lab Grown Diamonds.

There surely are Blue Nuance diamonds in higher colors.

To be truly informative to all the readers, we would need to see a report, and then we can assess the diamond and report.
If a jeweler was trying to sell you a D/IF, that looked as blue as that photo... ..wouldn't you ask to see the lab report?

I don't mean to be harsh, I'm just blunt and it was just something I noticed with your posts in this thread.

How would a report help in this case? If she said H would that make more sense? My point in linking the pics was to point out how Blue the stone was. Whether it's a D or an I doesn't really matter to me in this particular case.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How would a report help in this case?
There’s a lot of conflicting info out there. Being able to see what IGI or other labs are calling lab grown diamonds puts things in context.
My point about asking to see a lab report when buying or assessing a diamond is kind of what this site is all about....
Experienced members will always want to see a Lab Report to understand what we're looking at.
Peace:)

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
There’s a lot of conflicting info out there. Being able to see what IGI or other labs are calling lab grown diamonds puts things in context.
My point about asking to see a lab report when buying or assessing a diamond is kind of what this site is all about....
Experienced members will always want to see a Lab Report to understand what we're looking at.
Peace:)

I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

I was talking about Blue nuance in a lab diamond. Older IGI reports don't mention it, nor do most even mention the type of lab the diamond is.

The color grade this stone received is irrelevant to the reason I posted. It was just to show how obvious Blue nuance can be, nothing more.

Consumers should be aware of what it is, and that it's not always going to show on a report.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Consumers should be aware of what it is, and that it's not always going to show on a report
Absolutely!!
In fact, it probably makes sense for buyers to look at the date on the report because newer IGI reports have been indicating “Blue Nuance”. Hence my interest in seeing how the stone in the pic was graded and by whom and when.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
we agree on something!

I'm sure we agree on a whole buncha stuff!

If I didn't say this, or it wasn't evident- I'm very grateful for your participation- as well as everyone else's!

My skepticism, which apparently led to me "jumping the shark" is really due to real life trade experience.
The Natural Diamond business really is built on an incredible amount of trust.
Dealers trade parcels worth hundreds of thousands of dollars on a "Mazal". A Man or Woman's word is their bond.

The lab grown business- at its very best, works the same way. Really, it's the companies that also sell Natural Diamonds, also having an LG section.
But the LG business has grown- and continues to grow very rapidly. There are so many new sellers.
I get solicitation calls on my cell phone from India on a daily basis. ( In addition to the ones about extending my car's warranty:)
Some of these new players are trustworthy and knowledgeable.
Unfortunately, this meteoric growth has led to a climate that isn't quite as pure as the Natural Diamond business.
I don't necessarily trust the claims made by some of the LD dealers.
And the specific area of color is one where there's a lot of BS flying around.....

Anyway, I have learned a lot from y'all, so thanks.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
See my post #142 on the previous page - page 6 of this thread.
D is colorless. Any slight color is not colorless. Therefore can never ever be D.

I agree...however, the grading labs (IGI and GIA, in this case) are assigning D to some LGDs with obvious blue nuance. That should not be the case, but it is.
To all my fellow PS'ers: I think it is important for all of us to keep that in mind so that appropriate advice and recommendations can be provided to those that come here seeking to learn about LGDs and locate purchase candidates, especially to those that may not be aware of what blue nuance is and especially that it can be present yet undisclosed throughout the entire color grading spectrum, regardless of the grading lab used. This would be especially crucial information to those that are of a mindset that shopping for a D color LGD should mean that it is truly colorless (but not necessarily the truth).

aisa901

Rough_Rock
Very pretty ring!!

I only see a hint of Blue in the JA photo (and I'm not even sure I'd call that Blue, could just be the pic.)

All the other pics look normal to me.

What makes you say your stone has Blue nuance? Does it mention it on the report?

It doesn't say it in the report, but under artificial lighting like in big box stores or any office type lighting without windows, the natural melee are warm toned compared to the LG oval which appears more cool toned. And if I look really close, like within a foot of my face, the crush iced parts of the oval def look faint blue.

Here is an ADA diamonds story which I think visually shows the color tone difference I see IRL.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211028-214818_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20211028-214818_Instagram.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 92

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
And if I look really close, like within a foot of my face, the crush iced parts of the oval def look faint blue.
The crushed ice parts of an oval always exaggerate the color.
A +1ct G oval will always show some color (unless it is strong blue fluorescent)

aisa901

Rough_Rock
The crushed ice parts of an oval always exaggerate the color.
A +1ct G oval will always show some color (unless it is strong blue fluorescent)

Thanks Garry, but if not for blue nuance, is there something else I'm not considering that would be making the crushed ice blue? I notice it mostly in doors in places with bad lighting and no windows, so the sky can't be a factor. Like wouldn't the crushed ice in a natural mined oval appear more yellow or even a LG without blue nuance?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Gary, but if not for blue nuance, is there something else I'm not considering that would be making the crushed ice blue? I notice it mostly in doors in places with bad lighting and no windows, so the sky can't be a factor. Like wouldn't the crushed ice in a natural mined oval appear more yellow?

Nuance is a lousy term.
If a diamond is not colorless it is tinted.
If it is tinted then it has a hue or color. In the case of diamond that can be any color of the rainbow - see my post #142 as to how GIA grade the rarest natural colored diamonds with K or more tint.
If a diamond has some blue it is not D. It can be E to J if it is natural and there after it has a fancy color grade as per #142
If GIA choose to call it D and it is tinted blue (or any other color) they have broken their own rules.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If GIA choose to call it D and it is tinted blue (or any other color) they have broken their own rules
I don’t know of a GIA report using the term “Blue Nuance”
Has anyone else seen GIA use the term on a LGD?
I suppose we could submit one to see what they say…….

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Garry, but if not for blue nuance, is there something else I'm not considering that would be making the crushed ice blue? I notice it mostly in doors in places with bad lighting and no windows, so the sky can't be a factor. Like wouldn't the crushed ice in a natural mined oval appear more yellow or even a LG without blue nuance?
blue shirt or blue hat?
anything blue in the room?
remember the diamond draws light from above and around you and from you.
The light you see looking at and around the diamond is not the light the diamond is drawing from to return to your eyes..

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I don’t know of a GIA report using the term “Blue Nuance”
Has anyone else seen GIA use the term on a LGD?
I suppose we could submit one to see what they say…….

Same...I have never seen a GIA report for an LGD with any mention of blue nuance/tint/etc.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
A note re GIA delays in India - first we heard they had a broken printer, then they had run out of their special paper.
Second - I believe a Type IIb (man made or natural) an ordinary mulit meter will show a small current ( or some resistance) with an ordinary multi meter.

Im waiting on a LGD that is pending IGI report and apparently they are 3 weeks behind, too. Any idea why? I hope holiday shoppers get their custom cut orders in soon.

Nuance is a lousy term.
If a diamond is not colorless it is tinted.
If it is tinted then it has a hue or color. In the case of diamond that can be any color of the rainbow - see my post #142 as to how GIA grade the rarest natural colored diamonds with K or more tint.
If a diamond has some blue it is not D. It can be E to J if it is natural and there after it has a fancy color grade as per #142
If GIA choose to call it D and it is tinted blue (or any other color) they have broken their own rules.

But only in certain light, right? Otherwise there would be no strong blue fluoro D color diamonds and we would be sad.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
See my post #142 on the previous page - page 6 of this thread.
D is colorless. Any slight color is not colorless. Therefore can never ever be D.

Right, but I'm wondering if this applies in the world of labs.

If a K with Blue nuance would be a fancy by GIA standards but still gets a K grade because it's a lab (from IGI), maybe the same applies with D's?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I agree...however, the grading labs (IGI and GIA, in this case) are assigning D to some LGDs with obvious blue nuance. That should not be the case, but it is.
To all my fellow PS'ers: I think it is important for all of us to keep that in mind so that appropriate advice and recommendations can be provided to those that come here seeking to learn about LGDs and locate purchase candidates, especially to those that may not be aware of what blue nuance is and especially that it can be present yet undisclosed throughout the entire color grading spectrum, regardless of the grading lab used. This would be especially crucial information to those that are of a mindset that shopping for a D color LGD should mean that it is truly colorless (but not necessarily the truth).
This.
Outside of PS, I don't believe most people buying labs are aware of the nuances and it doesn't seem like the vendors are very forthcoming.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree...however, the grading labs (IGI and GIA, in this case) are assigning D to some LGDs with obvious blue nuance.

Have we established this as fact? Has anyone here seen a GIA graded LG diamond with what we're referring to as "Blue Nuance"

it doesn't seem like the vendors are very forthcoming.

This is exactly why I will always ask to see the lab report- and also why a simple post on a blog claiming a stone is graded D by GIA showing Blue Nuance ( or other claims regarding grade, etc) is "hearsay" in a discussion like this..who knows what it is.....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results