shape
carat
color
clarity

BIG decision to make on ring.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1374020398|3484378 said:
$3500 for a pave solitaire (no halo) by local jeweler versus $4300 for a halo ring my a master pave ring maker? Gosh, no contest if you like a halo. That solitaire is too high. Victor's solitaire with pave on the shank might not even be that high. I would not have the double shank serve as a wedding band, though. Single shank with separate wedding band is better. (or double shank with a weding band)
+1

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1374020398|3484378 said:
$3500 for a pave solitaire (no halo) by local jeweler versus $4300 for a halo ring my a master pave ring maker? Gosh, no contest if you like a halo. That solitaire is too high. Victor's solitaire with pave on the shank might not even be that high. I would not have the double shank serve as a wedding band, though. Single shank with separate wedding band is better. (or double shank with a weding band)

but it won't work with my existing band, right?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if you don't care about them exactly matching, it could work, especially if you wore a spacer band of some kind between them. Many people have the shank of the e-ring and wedding band match exactly, but certainly not all do.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1374026869|3484476 said:
I think if you don't care about them exactly matching, it could work, especially if you wore a spacer band of some kind between them. Many people have the shank of the e-ring and wedding band match exactly, but certainly not all do.

NO, I don't care if they match exactly, but I LOVE the donut on the Emilya solitaire, I don't want the flush one. Would it still work? :confused:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
soxfan|1374027356|3484482 said:
diamondseeker2006|1374026869|3484476 said:

NO, I don't care if they match exactly, but I LOVE the donut on the Emilya solitaire, I don't want the flush one. Would it still work? :confused:

Just wear a spacer inbetween them.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. Going in Thursday. IF I really don't like the ring (one is being made with the same size diamond- I am going to check it out) then I am going to tell my hubby I want VC to make it. He is a HUGE stickler for quality so I think when I show him VC's work, he'll be on board. Plus the cost is the same.....

Or he could insist we use our jeweler out of principal. UGH!!!!!!!!!! :???:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

The contrast between the delicacy of the band on the VC and the wedding band would drive me batty. I don't think the contrast is going to be kind to your WB. If the style were completely different, it wouldn't bother me. It kind of depends on how detail oriented you are.

A spacer will help, but if you ask him, Victor will tell you that a spacer will not completely protect the pave on the donut, all it will do is prevent the melee on the donut from grinding against the wedding band and vice versa. You may still end up with damage to the donut over time. (We had this conversation, and I remember it well!)

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1374067589|3484634 said:

The contrast between the delicacy of the band on the VC and the wedding band would drive me batty. I don't think the contrast is going to be kind to your WB. If the style were completely different, it wouldn't bother me. It kind of depends on how detail oriented you are.

A spacer will help, but if you ask him, Victor will tell you that a spacer will not completely protect the pave on the donut, all it will do is prevent the melee on the donut from grinding against the wedding band and vice versa. You may still end up with damage to the donut over time. (We had this conversation, and I remember it well!)

so what do you recommend?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
soxfan|1374072691|3484696 said:

I don't really have a specific recommendation, because you've got a lot of competing considerations going on, and you're the only one who can prioritize them. If you have a strong sentimental attachment to your WB, and the difference in workmanship between it and the Emilya won't bother you, slipping a spacer in between the two rings might work for you. It would bother me, but we're all different, you know? You might have to do some repair work on the Emilya donut at some point, but that would be the trade-off.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok, here is my wedding band. I have no idea if those are MM or CM. (I know, I know, I suck at math) :roll: how would it compare size wise to victor's emilya shank???

img_5104.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1374074243|3484725 said:
ok, here is my wedding band. I have no idea if those are MM or CM. (I know, I know, I suck at math) :roll: how would it compare size wise to victor's emilya shank???

It'll be mm, but shank width is really only a part of it - differences in the way the stones are set, differences in the depth (height off the finger), differences in how much metal is visible, differences in prong size/location/number, differences in finish... if you're looking for a band that matches exactly I don't think they'll work together, but it doesn't sound like you are. I'm not clear on what you're looking for though - like Aoife said only you can decide whether YOU think they're complementary styles because we'll all have different opinions!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1374074536|3484728 said:

It'll be mm, but shank width is really only a part of it - differences in the way the stones are set, differences in the depth (height off the finger), differences in how much metal is visible, differences in prong size/location/number, differences in finish... if you're looking for a band that matches exactly I don't think they'll work together, but it doesn't sound like you are. I'm not clear on what you're looking for though - like Aoife said only you can decide whether YOU think they're complementary styles because we'll all have different opinions!

I don't care if they match exactly, I'd actually prefer that they be a little different. I don't know the shank size in MM of the emilya, but not a big deal if my wedding band is wider... Can the shank REALLY be smaller than this? That seems REALLY dainty even for a size 4.5 finger. :shock:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
also, couldn't I MAIL him my band with my diamond and ask him to make the donut high enough to accomodate the band sitting flush?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

Soxfan, I think what you are not picking up on in some of the replies, including mine, is what Yssie addresses in the bolded above: the width of the band is the least important part of whether or not your WB will look pleasing with the Emilya: it is the fine details in the workmanship. If you are a detail person, like quite a few of the posters in this thread, (Hi Yssie! :wavey: ) you will notice this. Whether it will bother you is something else.

Specific questions about the construction of the ring need to be addressed to Victor, but the donut rests against your finger, it's not something you can move around--I'm not even sure how that could work.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1374075925|3484751 said:

Soxfan, I think what you are not picking up on in some of the replies, including mine, is what Yssie addresses in the bolded above: the width of the band is the least important part of whether or not your WB will look pleasing with the Emilya. It is the fine details in the workmanship. If you are a detail person, like quite a few of the posters in this thread, (Hi Yssie! :wavey: ) you will notice this. Whether it will bother you is something else.

Specific questions about the construction of the ring need to be addressed to Victor, but the donut rests against your finger, it's not something you can move around--I'm not even sure how that could work.

I'm picking up on them just fine. I said I didn't care if they didn't match exactly. They are being made by 2 different artisans. I get that......I've emailed Victor with my questions.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going by the pic, I personally would be fine with wearing the band with the VC ring. I'd be ok with the rings not matching exactly and the quality varying a bit. IMHO I don't think there would be a glaring difference and the rings would complement each other. For me, I would just want the height of both rings to match up fairly closely. And it seems to me people with the Emylia just use a spacer inbetween the ering and wband and call it a day.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1374076785|3484765 said:
Going by the pic, I personally would be fine with wearing the band with the VC ring. I'd be ok with the rings not matching exactly and the quality varying a bit. IMHO I don't think there would be a glaring difference and the rings would complement each other. For me, I would just want the height of both rings to match up fairly closely. And it seems to me people with the Emylia just use a spacer inbetween the ering and wband and call it a day.

me too. I also like the look where the band is situated far from the engagement ring- keeping the band tighter and the e-ring looser and flowy. Makes it look more dainty...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1374074934|3484732 said:
also, couldn't I MAIL him my band with my diamond
Yes

and ask him to make the donut high enough to accomodate the band sitting flush?
I don't know what this means but hopefully VC will understand

soxfan said:

Not Aoife obviously, but if you get what we're saying then exactly what are you asking for opinions/recommendations about?

Just my opinion obviously, but it sounds to me like you're looking more for communal agreement that your band will pair well with the Emilya in terms of style, rather than lists of pros and cons. I think what Aoife and I are trying to suggest is that you're unlikely to get that, for a number of reasons, and so you'll have to weigh each of the items on those lists individually and decide how you personally feel... and of course, the final verdict isn't always the logical sum of pros and cons!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Like junebug17, I'm also a fan of "non-matched" bands with erings, as long as you think they go, KWIM? And worst case scenario, if you get it and find you don't care for the look, you can always commission VC to make the matching band. :))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1374076114|3484755 said:
If you are a detail person, like quite a few of the posters in this thread, (Hi Yssie! :wavey: ) you will notice this.

:wavey:

Gotta say it - takes one to know one! :bigsmile:

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock
soxfan - First of all, Hi! Second of all, I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but I think what those who are concerned about the 2 rings looking nice together is this: it's not about the mm width, it's not about 2 different artisans making the rings so therefore they look different - it's about the QUALITY of your wedding band compared to the QUALITY of the VC ring. I am learning new things every day on this forum and I've learned that VC makes exquisite rings. Therefore, pairing one of his masterpieces with a wedding band that doesn't quite match that quality, MAY not look nice together. Now, I haven't looked at your wedding band enough to know if I'd even be able to tell the difference, but veteran PriceScopers are picking up on something that, in their opinion, might be off. If you are going to spend thousands of dollars on a VC ring, I think what everyone is trying to say is that you want to maximize the beauty of that ring as much as possible, why else are you getting it - you know?

Just some things to think about. It's your decision and it's all about how you feel since you'll be the one wearing it, but obviously you have some concerns, which is why we are all voicing our opinions.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1374080158|3484807 said:

Like junebug17, I'm also a fan of "non-matched" bands with erings, as long as you think they go, KWIM? And worst case scenario, if you get it and find you don't care for the look, you can always commission VC to make the matching band. :))

Also, worst case.. you could just get a plain band to wear with the halo...I'm partial to that look! :halo:

If you love the VC, I wouldn't let the fact that the band might not work with it deter you. There are other options! :devil:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1374080667|3484819 said:
soxfan|1374076114|3484755 said:
If you are a detail person, like quite a few of the posters in this thread, (Hi Yssie! :wavey: ) you will notice this.

:wavey:

Gotta say it - takes one to know one! :bigsmile:

:lol: So, so true! Guilty as charged :bigsmile:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor said he doesn't advise wearing a band with the emilya. It's important to me to wear the wedding band. I think I'm gonna visit my jeweler tomorrow and go over some options...

I've thought about it all day and looked at 10000000 pictures of the ring on here and while I LOVE the emilya, I really really like it better with a cushion cut. I would like a 3 or 4ct cushion with the emilya for a RHR. That might be a better idea for my next upgrade. Gonna spend some time with the diamond tomorrow and go over some designs for a solitaire. Thanks for all the input...

I'll post some pics tomorrow if he has finished the other lady's ring. Her diamond is also a 2 carat RBC.... :D

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock
soxfan - good plan. Can't wait to hear how things go tomorrow and see any pics! I think that your wedding band should be able to work for you if you want it to - it is your wedding band for heaven's sake! :) I'm glad you're going to look into options that work for you to incorporate that. Sentimental value does mean something. Good luck!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
meganmomma|1374098536|3485039 said:
soxfan - good plan. Can't wait to hear how things go tomorrow and see any pics! I think that your wedding band should be able to work for you if you want it to - it is your wedding band for heaven's sake! :) I'm glad you're going to look into options that work for you to incorporate that. Sentimental value does mean something. Good luck!

thanks! I really like my jeweler's work. He does a great job. And I love he and his wife. And I KNOW when the time is right, you all will help me find a GREAT 3 or 4 carat antique cushion!!!!!!!!! ;-)

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
well, hubby came home last night and said "what is the problem? If you want the victor canera, get it. We'll just keep the extra $2000 at J***'s as a credit towards something else."

:read: heading in in 30 minutes to talk and decide... :appl:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
soxfan said:
well, hubby came home last night and said "what is the problem? If you want the victor canera, get it. We'll just keep the extra $2000 at J***'s as a credit towards something else."

:read: heading in in 30 minutes to talk and decide... :appl:

Ok your husband is a keeper!! What a kind response. I hope you get exactly what you want!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My heart is beating fast. I just FEEL bad about not going with him, do you know what I mean? :( This is hard, as he is a close friend and has made ALL My jewelry.

But, I need to realize and stand by the principle that I should get what I WANT. It's a $10,000 stone, for god's sake! I need to make sure what I decide on is what I LOVE. It's my decision, and hopefully it will be respected in the end.....

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sooooo....I am going with my jeweler. I saw my original ring I picked out in the fabrication stage for someone else and it's beautiful. I did decide to go with 6 prongs, as I thought the 4 double claws made the stone look square.

We also worked up a design for a halo that would sit flush with my band and match. It's not a VC, but would have a similar "no metal" look around the diamond, but the shank and setting would be a little different. So I'll think about both options and make a decision soon....

I did get some pics of my diamond and got to spend some quality time with it. Not the BEST pics, but they'll do...

stats: K color, S12 (completely eye clean) 2.04 carats, 8.32 mm. faces up VERY white.

img_5132.jpg

img_5126.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results