shape
carat
color
clarity

BIG decision to make on ring.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 2 carat round brilliant that is replacing my original e-ring. My jeweler, who I love, is also a good friend and neighbor. I originally wanted a solitaire with a pave shank to match my wedding band (in my avatar.) However, I have fallen in LOVE with the emilya halo by VC. We are moving to Mass soon, and DH sold our jeweler our hot tub, and just told him to take it off the cost of the ring he is making. So DH has some deal worked out with him.....

He is a great jeweler, stands by his work, would re-make a ring I didn't like. I have several custom pieces done by him and they are gorgeous. I sometimes have people grab my hand and want to know who made my rings....

Do I TRUST him to create a halo with minimal metal showing similar to VC's or just get the solitaire? I am torn. I cannot have him NOT make the ring, he took the diamond OUT of a pendant that someone was coming in that day to buy so I could have it.

I don't know what to do....

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does he do cads?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cads and hand-forged.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you seen some pave and halo examples of the work he's done? While only VC is VC, would the local person's work be something you'd eventually end up being unsatisfied with?

I don't think any deal at this point is not something you could get out of, but I know how you feel about being uncomfortable that an arrangement has been agreed upon. Is it an option to just put the brakes on this, pay him for the diamond for what you agreed the discounted amount off the hot tub was going to be, move, then go forward with VC in the end?

You aren't burning a bridge, you are just crossing over elsewhere!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get as many photos of hid similar work as you can

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If he is a great jeweler and you like his work have it done knowing its not going to be a VC. Just don't compare them. You either want the VC or you don't.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What finger size are you? I've got my VC dual shank halo (essentially an Emilya w/ matching band attached) up for sale on preloved that will fit a 2 ct stone...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see your dilemma. You want to be fair to your friend, the jeweler, but you also want what you want...

Honestly, I would just explain that you have your heart set on the VC (if this is the case). If the jeweler is a friend, he will understand and you can work something out with regards to the jacuzzi.

In the end, it's on your finger. Make yourself happy and don't worry too much about keeping your neighbor/friend appeased. You can always buy other jewelry from them in the future! :halo:

Good luck to you!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I own a VC Emilya, and I have also commissioned quite a few custom pieces of jewelry from other artists over the years. Victor Canera really is in a class by himself, and the Emilya is an extremely refined version of that particular halo style. It's not just the quality of the pave, which is superb, it is the angle of the halo, the curve of the struts, the perfection of even the tiniest melee, the balance and comfort of the ring on the hand as you wear it. I strongly doubt that your local jeweler is going to be able to match that level of workmanship. I'm saying that as someone who is extremely picky, and has some very lovely jewelry with very fine workmanship--none of it matches the VC pieces I own.

It might be helpful to you to look at some of the gorgeous macro photos SB621 and others have posted of their Emilyas and compare that to examples of your jeweler's pave and detailed metalwork.

For something as personal as a upgraded ER, I personally would have a hard time settling, and I'm kind of getting the impression from your several posts on this topic that that is what you would be doing. It's a lot of money to spend and then not end up happy at the end of it.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
These situations always make me uncomfortable as well, so I feel your pain. :(( What is it that you love about the Emilya? The craftsmanship? The design? If it's the design, well then thats easy to have replicated, but if it's the craftsmanship then that is probably a strong indicator that your jeweler, though wonderful in many areas it appears, my not be in the same class when it comes to pave work. That said, while VC does beautiful work, he is far from the only one, and though his name and work is found on this forum often with many satisfied clients, that doesn't mean that there aren't many many other jewelers we haven't heard of doing equally beautiful and quality work. You have the benefit of having used this jeweler before and owning several pieces by him, if you are questioning his ability to make the piece to your standard, then I would probably find a way out of the deal and work with VC, but if you feel confident he can complete it to your satisfaction, then I'd move forward with him. And then of course post lots and lots of pics, because PS can always use another darling! :love: ;))

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mom2boys|1373989545|3484009 said:
What finger size are you? I've got my VC dual shank halo (essentially an Emilya w/ matching band attached) up for sale on preloved that will fit a 2 ct stone...

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks everyone. Keep your thoughts and opinions coming, they are helpful!!!!!!!!!! His work is great, BUT VC is in a class all of his own. I am going to see him Thursday. I will post the setting I am thinking of getting and talk to him about the halo.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
soxfan|1373992611|3484049 said:
thanks everyone. Keep your thoughts and opinions coming, they are helpful!!!!!!!!!! His work is great, BUT VC is in a class all of his own. I am going to see him Thursday. I will post the setting I am thinking of getting and talk to him about the halo.

Yeah I don't want to be rude but the pieces you posted in your other thread are nice but not anywhere near VC. How about you use the credit to have him create something else for you?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1373994157|3484069 said:

Yeah I don't want to be rude but the pieces you posted in your other thread are nice but not anywhere near VC. How about you use the credit to have him create something else for you?

the credit would just make the diamond cheaper. The diamond is $10,500. The quote for total job- hand forged setting/pave shank/diamonds around basket (I'll post pics Thursday) came to $14,000. We have $2000 credit for the hot tub. So we would be spending $8500 on the diamond. BUT I don't know if Jeff got a deal on the diamond because he is making the setting too? And I also need it to match my wedding band, which our jeweler made.

I KNOW I will be happy with the setting I picked out. It's beautiful. And I could at some point do a VC halo in a few years, BUT if he could recreate something similar, that would be my first pic.

However, I am scared of being disappointed that it doesn't look like VC's halo.... :(

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm afraid you might be disappointed too if your ring doesn't match up to the pics of the VC settings you've seen here on PS. He is a master at this type of setting and a tough act to follow. I think your wedding band is pretty and looks well made. Since you are committed to working with this jeweler and not using him is out of the question I think I would go with the solitaire with the pave setting.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
soxfan|1373994635|3484076 said:

the credit would just make the diamond cheaper. The diamond is $10,500. The quote for total job- hand forged setting/pave shank/diamonds around basket (I'll post pics Thursday) came to $14,000. We have $2000 credit for the hot tub. So we would be spending $8500 on the diamond. BUT I don't know if Jeff got a deal on the diamond because he is making the setting too? And I also need it to match my wedding band, which our jeweler made.

I KNOW I will be happy with the setting I picked out. It's beautiful. And I could at some point do a VC halo in a few years, BUT if he could recreate something similar, that would be my first pic.

However, I am scared of being disappointed that it doesn't look like VC's halo.... :(

14k for a 2ct diamond (at least I think that is what you said from an ealier thread) and a halo is pretty cheap epecially for hand forged. Something is really not adding up right to me.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

If what I bolded above is your priority, then the Emilya is absolutely not going to match your wedding band.

Pricewise, however, if your jeweler is charging you $8500 for the diamond, and an additional $3500 for the setting, you are getting close to the range that Steven Kirsch and Victor Canera charge. That seems high, frankly. What SB621 said, basically.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1373996574|3484096 said:

14k for a 2ct diamond (at least I think that is what you said from an ealier thread) and a halo is pretty cheap epecially for hand forged. Something is really not adding up right to me.

How is it not adding up? The diamond is a K S12 very good cut. I LOVE the diamond. It is huge and sparkly. He is also a VERY good friend of ours, so my husband ALWAYS gets my rings cheaper. He has been in business for a long time and is very well respected. I don't think it's expensive at all....

BUT the quote wasn't for a halo! That would be more. I forgot to mention that- the quote is for a solitaire, with pave shank and diamonds around the "basket" that holds the ring.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1373997228|3484106 said:

If what I bolded above is your priority, then the Emilya is absolutely not going to match your wedding band.

Pricewise, however, if your jeweler is charging you $8500 for the diamond, and an additional $3500 for the setting, you are getting close to the range that Steven Kirsch and Victor Canera charge. That seems high, frankly. What SB621 said, basically.

REALLY? I thought Victora Canera's halo cost around $6,000?? I'm getting a quote now!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll post a pic of the setting Thursday when I go in, but in the meantime, I AM going to get a quote from Victor Canera...... :appl:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could also just use my wedding band as an anniversary band and stack it?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
or the emilya with flush fitting stems?

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you are in love with the VC halo (I can't blame you!!). If you can swing it financially that's what I would do. If it makes your heart sing, you'll be happy every time you look at your hand. And that's worth a lot!

If you decide to stick with your original jeweler, I'd have him do the solitaire setting. From the pictures you shared in the previous thread, his work looks lovely but definitely a different style than VC.

You may want to post a WTB in the Preloved in case anyone is upgrading and has one available.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
soxfan|1374010238|3484252 said:
REALLY? I thought Victora Canera's halo cost around $6,000?? I'm getting a quote now!

It depends on a lot of things: size of finger, design details, size of stone. It won't be $3500 for the Emilya, but if that is what your jeweler wants for a solitaire, then his pricing for the halo will be more, and you will definitely be approaching VC territory. So, you might as well consider getting what it's obvious you really want.

But your current wedding band is not going to go with the VC, so you need to decide what you are going to do about that.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My PC response: what Christina said.

My blunt response: if you have him try to replicate the VC I think you're pretty much guaranteed to be disappointed unless you aren't nearly as detail-oriented as you think you are, because the workmanship just isn't comparable. Though I freely admit that I take 'detail-oriented' to the extreme when it comes to settings.

My 2c: we had a family member do our wedding photography because, well, he was family, he was a friend, his work looked okay - not the best but certainly nothing to sneeze at, and we felt obligated to support his business. Result #1: there's exactly ONE photo I like - thank goodness we got some good ones on our honeymoon! Result #2: I'll never again *not* stand up for my expectations, even if that means refusing to mix business with friendship. Result #3: I try to be as careful as possible about choosing the right subjects to pin those expectations on, because I know if I pick wrong I'm just going to be disappointed!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
quote from VC is $4,300 for the emilya halo in either the regular one or the flush stem one. The quote for the double shank one is $5,800. But the double shank could serve as my ring and wedding band....

The huge diamond cocktail ring in my avatar would be a right hand ring on occasion. I think the VC emilya AND that is overkill. I'm leaning toward the solitaire, but I really really really can't stop obsessing over the VC emilya.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
If you aren't going to wear your marquise halo everyday, make sure the ring you are going to wear daily you adore!!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
soxfan|1374017001|3484331 said:
quote from VC is $4,300 for the emilya halo in either the regular one or the flush stem one. The quote for the double shank one is $5,800. But the double shank could serve as my ring and wedding band....

The huge diamond cocktail ring in my avatar would be a right hand ring on occasion. I think the VC emilya AND that is overkill. I'm leaning toward the solitaire, but I really really really can't stop obsessing over the VC emilya.

As someone who's changed her ring two times before getting the current one, I say that you should get the Emilya if you're going to regret not getting it later. If you spread the cost of $2300 ($5800 for the double shank minus the $3500 for your current setting) over the next 75 years, it's only $0.08 per day. It's only $0.03 per day if you opted for the regular Emilya halo.

It doesn't seem to make sense to me for you to use the current jeweler if you think that you'd be happier with the Emilya. You're still getting the diamond from him (and I doubt he's losing money by selling it to you for $10.5K) and I think the jeweler should understand that you've found a setting that you like more.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I would honestly do the VC. It's not that much more than the $3500 quote you received from your jeweler and VC's workmanship is absolutely stunning. I'd love to be that lucky one day...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$3500 for a pave solitaire (no halo) by local jeweler versus $4300 for a halo ring my a master pave ring maker? Gosh, no contest if you like a halo. That solitaire is too high. Victor's solitaire with pave on the shank might not even be that high. I would not have the double shank serve as a wedding band, though. Single shank with separate wedding band is better. (or double shank with a weding band)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results