shape
carat
color
clarity

Best custom ring designer?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
You can state your concerns to VC about it (in fact I would just for piece of mind), however I have found that unless you get professional glamour shots from VC his "regular" photos are never extremely good and don't do the diamond justice in most cases. I think you will be fine but I would still reach out so you aren't constantly worrrying about it.

kay1

Shiny_Rock
Yeah i sent an email back asking about it, but they won't be awake for a couple of hours. I thought i'd post it here in the mean time in case anyone knew anything about that kind of affect in pictures.

I think it was more of a courtesy shot because it was just taken on an iphone - and they said it was 'stunning'. They know what they're doing and obviously in that picture that looks more like a S rather than an I. I suspect it's an older iphone and the yellow of the flash coming back, or an iPhone 5S with the autmoatic toned flash, where it's set the flash yellower to make the picture warmer.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kay1|1395145660|3636372 said:
Yeah i sent an email back asking about it, but they won't be awake for a couple of hours. I thought i'd post it here in the mean time in case anyone knew anything about that kind of affect in pictures.

I think it was more of a courtesy shot because it was just taken on an iphone - and they said it was 'stunning'. They know what they're doing and obviously in that picture that looks more like a S rather than an I. I suspect it's an older iphone and the yellow of the flash coming back, or an iPhone 5S with the autmoatic toned flash, where it's set the flash yellower to make the picture warmer.

If Victor says it's "stunning," it's stunning. :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that I would not worry about the diamond. Just understand that diamonds reflect what is around them, so there will be times that your diamond appears very white and times that it appears tinted due to the surroundings or lighting.

I wanted to correct something someone said earlier, though. All of James Allen's stones are not present in NYC. That is why is sometimes takes a couple of days for them to get images or have a stone arrive. I have seen someone look at stones that were actually in India, I believe. I don't know about Ritani, but many vendors list their in-house stones as well as some that are not.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1394825390|3634236 said:
Acinom|1394789948|3633879 said:
I feel there's nothing wrong in choosing a vendor that's popular here on Pricescope: we are a quite detailed oriented group of people, so if PSers are promoting someone, it means he/she is doing an excellent job.

I hope the hue of the J will work for you :appl:

+1. Just because it's popular here doesn't mean you are actually going to bump into someone else with the same ring.

I think only SB bothered trying to understood what I was objecting to: the direction this thread took from the very beginning.

kay1|1394724961|3633295 said:
Hi!

So i want to design a custom ring, and have seen sites like Steven Kirsch etc. But who is the 'best'? I know best is subjective, so let me ask some more direct questions:

1) Who is the most well known - the 'gucci' of bespoke ring makers?

2) Who makes the best rings?

3) Who is the most accessible - in terms of flexibility, price (not 10's of thousands)?

4) If money was no object who would you use? (and i don't mean debeers, cartier etc)

5) If you wanted _value_ - i don't mean cheap, but you pay good money but you get proportionate work back, and not _only_ paying for the name?

I want something that i've spent time on putting together, and I want an amazing diamond (i've found a few), but I also want something unique and amazing that she can feel this is a 'cartier' kind of effect. I guess i want the middle ground between Cartier/Debeers/Tiffany and BlueNile/BrianGavin etc. I'm willing to spend the money, i just don't want to throw it away at debeers etc on a substandard (small) diamond that I could do a lot better with. And I also don't want her to think i just threw money at it, and instead that i put thought and effort into it.

Re-reading that original post... there is nothing in here about pave or halos. Or engraving. Nothing.
Of the three vendors initially presented (VC, SK, and LM):
Had OP wanted a trellis VC wouldn't have made my list of recommendations, and neither would Leon.
Had OP wanted a plain-metal piece emphasising nuances of metal colour I wouldn't have recommended any of them.
Had OP wanted a design with an antique flair I wouldn't have recommended any of them.
Had OP wanted something with playful, whimsical artistry VC wouldn't have made my list of recommendations.

And yet here is the very first response:

soxfan|1394726272|3633301 said:
My vote is Victor Canera. And many people here will tell you that his work, along with Steven and Leon, is just as good or better than Tiffany.

The problem here is that there was quite literally no mention of a half dozen other capable and talented vendors with other specialties. In my opinion this sort of single-minded fanaticism is becoming increasingly common in RT. I'll just echo what SB said - the most helpful responses aim to discover what the OP is looking for and direct him to suitable vendors based on needs, goals, and priorities. They do not assume stylistic preferences and they do not push personal favourites without explicit solicitation.

This is NOT a slight against Victor Canera. He does beautiful pave work and I have gone on record many times stating that his engraving is the best I've ever seen. Every vendor has strengths and weaknesses, and not acknowledging both does no-one any favours.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1395152654|3636421 said:
I feel there's nothing wrong in choosing a vendor that's popular here on Pricescope: we are a quite detailed oriented group of people, so if PSers are promoting someone, it means he/she is doing an excellent job.

+1. Just because it's popular here doesn't mean you are actually going to bump into someone else with the same ring.

I think only SB bothered trying to understood what I was objecting to: the direction this thread took from the very beginning.

Hi!

So i want to design a custom ring, and have seen sites like Steven Kirsch etc. But who is the 'best'? I know best is subjective, so let me ask some more direct questions:

3) Who is the most accessible - in terms of flexibility, price (not 10's of thousands)?

4) If money was no object who would you use? (and i don't mean debeers, cartier etc)

5) If you wanted _value_ - i don't mean cheap, but you pay good money but you get proportionate work back, and not _only_ paying for the name?

I want something that i've spent time on putting together, and I want an amazing diamond (i've found a few), but I also want something unique and amazing that she can feel this is a 'cartier' kind of effect. I guess i want the middle ground between Cartier/Debeers/Tiffany and BlueNile/BrianGavin etc. I'm willing to spend the money, i just don't want to throw it away at debeers etc on a substandard (small) diamond that I could do a lot better with. And I also don't want her to think i just threw money at it, and instead that i put thought and effort into it.

Re-reading that original post... there is nothing in here about pave or halos. Or engraving. Nothing.
Had OP wanted a trellis VC wouldn't have made my list of recommendations.
Had OP wanted a plain-metal piece emphasising nuances of metal colour VC wouldn't have made my list of recommendations.
Had OP wanted a design with an antique flair VC wouldn't have made my list of recommendations.
Had OP wanted something with playful, whimsical artistry VC wouldn't have made my list of recommendations.
Those are simply NOT his strengths.

My vote is Victor Canera. And many people here will tell you that his work, along with Steven and Leon, is just as good or better than Tiffany.

In my opinion this sort of single-minded fanaticism is becoming increasingly common in RT. I'll just echo what SB said - the most helpful responses aim to discover what the OP is looking for and direct him to suitable vendors based on needs, goals, and priorities.

This is NOT a slight against Victor Canera. He does beautiful pave work and I have gone on record many times stating that his engraving is the best I've ever seen. Every vendor has strengths and weaknesses, and not acknowledging both does no-one any favours.

Thanks for the "single-minded fanaticism" comment. I never fail to be astonished at some of the exaggerative comments on here. :lol: For the record, I read EVERY one of the OP's questions and VC fit the bill for all. In my OPINION. Which is what he asked for: Opinions. I haven't worked with any other vendors. Does that mean I shouldn't post?

Had "trellis," "playful, whimsical artistry," and "nuances of metal color" been mentioned, or I might have pointed him to your post on Victor Canera. But it wasn't. He had general quality questions, sought "middle ground between Cartier/Debeers/Tiffany and BlueNile/BrianGavin" and since SK was mentioned by name, I deduced that he was headed in one of those directions. And low and behold......

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sox, I edited my post - obviously only after you had copied to quote and begun to respond - to clarify that my objection was to the listing of only three options and immediate impassioned recommendation of one of those three without any requests for further detail on what OP is actually looking for, not to someone recommending VC in particular.

I object to naming one vendor - any one vendor - in answer to questions (1), (2), and (3). These are objective questions that simply cannot be objectively answered, and any attempt to do so is inherently misleading as a subjective portrayal. From OP's original post and post history there is no reason to believe that she has the background knowledge to recognise the distinction - why would anyone who doesn't spend hours and hours on a diamond forum!? - and I think as prosumers it's important to advocate for exactly that sort of clarification.

Also in my opinion, recommending a single vendor with whom one has had positive experiences in answer to (4) and (5) is the perfect response because it is an explicit solicitation of our subjective opinions.

Just to be doubly clear: this was NOT supposed to be an attack on VC or any other vendor in particular, and I recognise that it's easy to read it that way given my history - hence the hopefully helpful edits. It is only supposed to be a statement of my observations, and opinions on prosumer conduct based on the Prosumer Guidelines which advise determining and characterising OP's desires and priorities before submitting suggestions. Others are free to agree or disagree, of course.
([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rockytalky-prosumer-guidelines.145983/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rockytalky-prosumer-guidelines.145983/[/URL])

ETA: I quoted your response as it was first, but to be honest I disagree with a number of people's responses for exactly this same reason. I apologise for singling you out, only I'd have run out of room quoting them all.

ETA: Here are my edits -

Had OP wanted a trellis VC wouldn't have made my list of recommendations, and neither would Leon.
Had OP wanted a plain-metal piece emphasising nuances of metal colour I wouldn't have recommended any of them.
Had OP wanted a design with an antique flair I wouldn't have recommended any of them.
[...]
The problem here is that there was quite literally no mention of a half dozen other capable and talented vendors with other specialties.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1395152654|3636421 said:

Hi!

The problem here is that there was quite literally no mention of a half dozen other capable and talented vendors with other specialties. In my opinion this sort of single-minded fanaticism is becoming increasingly common in RT. I'll just echo what SB said - the most helpful responses aim to discover what the OP is looking for and direct him to suitable vendors based on needs, goals, and priorities. They do not assume stylistic preferences and they do not push personal favourites without explicit solicitation.

I know both you and SB have mentioned this in other threads and I've been hesitant to chime in for fear of starting a fire - but man, I 100% agree. I've been reading PS since 2005, member since 2007, and the vendor fanaticism is driving me crazy lately. There are so many great vendors out there, at so many different price points, who are best at so many different styles. I don't even want to reply in the 'help me' posts because the reccs are always VC, and any dissent is dealt with harshly - even if VC is not the best vendor for the type of ring the person wants! In this case, I'm glad the OP found what he wanted and hopefully his FF will love her ring, but that's not the case every time. I think it's a large part of why new posters stop responding to their threads.

It also bugs me because in the real world, spending 4-5k on the setting alone is laughable for a majority of the posters here searching for an engagement ring. It irritates me when someone's total budget is $5-7-9k and people keep pushing VC, LM, SK, etc., and then try and make the poster feel bad that their ring will be crappy if they choose a Ritani, JA, or other stock setting.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Yssie and Liaerfby!! You both stated so eloquently what I have been feeling. PS is dead lately and I think that is because instead of members acting as prosumers it is the same people being recommended over and over again regardless of design etiquette. It doesn't matter if I want a pave halo, a coffee with bagel or the freakin' starship enterprise on a ring- the same vendors will get recommended. I think this is the reason everyone posts through the FB PS side groups now vs. PS because there is actual discussion on design, style and vendor strengths. It also shows because not many ppl post new and interesting jewelry designs on PS, it is all becoming rather boring. Just my .02 cents and sorry to OP for thread jacking.

kay1

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to stay out of this discussion about vendors, I haven't been here long enough to have a clue who is right!

The good news is she should like the halo from my reconnaissance, and that picture of the diamond VC sent was confirmed it's the camera making it yellow :)

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kay1|1395164989|3636568 said:
I'm going to stay out of this discussion about vendors, I haven't been here long enough to have a clue who is right!

The good news is she should like the halo from my reconnaissance, and that picture of the diamond VC sent was confirmed it's the camera making it yellow :)

No one's right. What some people consider "vendor fanaticism," others consider just a case of recommending a vendor that continues to deliver a beautiful quality product time and time again, earning many loyal customers here on PS.

Glad the diamond pic was just a typical iPhone pic. I took about 3000 pics of my new ring and about 10 were good. :lol:

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1395165712|3636578 said:

No one's right. What some people consider "vendor fanaticism," others consider just a case of recommending a vendor that continues to deliver a beautiful quality product time and time again, earning many loyal customers here on PS.

Glad the diamond pic was just a typical iPhone pic. I took about 3000 pics of my new ring and about 10 were good. :lol:

I want to clarify my comment. If someone posted they were looking for the best pave halo setting that money could buy, I would absolutely say VC. Sox, I love your ring and I think it's beautiful. I'm glad that you had a great experience with VC and I would hope that you would tell posters about how much you love your ring and how great VC is to work with. My issue is that we should not be blindly recommending vendors without a clue as to the style, budget, needs/wants, etc. of a poster. ERD did my reset of my e-ring and I love it, but I would not tell someone to use ERD for every single project out there because every vendor has pros/cons and I think in a lot of posts, cons are being overlooked by fangirls (not you specifically, I just mean collectively).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1395166548|3636583 said:

I want to clarify my comment. If someone posted they were looking for the best pave halo setting that money could buy, I would absolutely say VC. Sox, I love your ring and I think it's beautiful. I'm glad that you had a great experience with VC and I would hope that you would tell posters about how much you love your ring and how great VC is to work with. My issue is that we should not be blindly recommending vendors without a clue as to the style, budget, needs/wants, etc. of a poster. ERD did my reset of my e-ring and I love it, but I would not tell someone to use ERD for every single project out there because every vendor has pros/cons and I think in a lot of posts, cons are being overlooked by fangirls (not you specifically, I just mean collectively).

This, exactly!

The discussion isn't about the vendors themselves, it's about how we prosumers recommend vendors. I apologise if my posts still do not make that distinction clear - I would endeavour to clarify but I tend to be verbose at the best of times and Lia and SB have said what I wanted to anyway!

In any case I'm very glad that OP has found both a design and a stone she will love ::)

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1395166548|3636583 said:

But he DID list his budget, needs/wants. I understand what you are saying with the pave, but I didn't recommend him because of the pave work. I recommended him because he fit all the criteria and the OP had already mentioned SK. The OP wasn't overly specific... I have seen many rings on here that are carved, pave, solitaire, etc done by him. I was in no way even THINKING of a pave ring. I probably covet about 25 rings on here. I'd say at least 10 are by Victor? That's why I recommended him. :D

But anyway, I see what you, Yssie and SB are saying. That wasn't my intent, though.....I guess when I hear "bespoke" I think of LM, VC, and SK right off the bat....

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 on Soxfan's comments

Yssie:
Please also note that the OP made it explicit that he did not want to go to Cartier/De Beers/Tiffany... And yet you recommended him to choose a Cartier ring. Not sure whether that can be translated to 'listening' to the OP.

SB: it doesn't feel very respectful to call other people's ring's boring.

Not sure whether it's the 'one vendor recommendation' that is bugging PS or unfriendly remarks towards other PSers.
Various people here will have different views and experiences and to me, that's what makes PS interesting. It feels rather unwelcome that it is implied that PSers can only post if they have a wealthy knowledge of all American vendors. I live in Europe, have only worked with VC (one project with a different US vendor coming up), as well as had several interactions with 4 other US vendors. Does this mean I cannot post anymore? Interesting :(sad ...
I actually mentioned SK, VC and LM since the OP mentioned SK which to me gave a clear direction. I totally agree Yssie and SB that it is great to mention other vendors as well and to first make absolutely clear what the requirements of an OP are.

I highly respect you Yssie and SB: it was through your french cut thread Yssie that I found my dream ring!!! And SB: you helped me so much with recommendations about the details!! So, I guess I feel a little sad and overwhelmed by the harsh comments. I first choose to ignore them as this is such a happy thread!!

Sorry for threadjacking OP!!!

Wanted to tell you I had the same experience: my french cuts looked honey brown on the photo :shock: But in real life there is no brown at all. :) So glad things are working out so well for you!! :appl:

redroze

Shiny_Rock
"I think it's a large part of why new posters stop responding to their threads."

I'm a new poster and can relate to this. I'm getting a Single Stone-inspired ring created by ERD. I had the intent of posting the final ring but would rather not, as there are a lot of very particular and keen eyes on here that may pick it apart and compare to the original. Maybe not on my SMTB thread but other threads. I don't need anyone's approval or oos and ahhs but I do expect smart and well rounded comments based on an understanding of what I'm trying to accomplish given my budget. 2/3k for my ring vs 6k plus for the SS ring is no comparison. But I've been genuinely surprised at the critiques of rings that are far less expensive than SK, LM, VC and SS. You're obviously paying for the craftsmanship and not everyone can or would want to spend their money on those vendors. I've seen various posts of people ecstatic with their James Allen, ERD, non-high end rings and I've been blown away by them too.

I've gotten a ton of helpful advice here, but the points I've seen raised on mine or other threads, makes me wonder if there is a general bias towards the high end vendors. There are jewelry enthusiasts here that have seen everything. But I'm a foodie and can get as much enjoyment from a $20 Mexican meal and a $200 French 5-course. I think that's unfortunate as forums are supposed to represent various points of view, various demographics, etc. I'm of the high/low mixing mentality when it comes to style...spend more on some and less on others. I think that should be reflected on jewelry purchases too. The OP was asking for the creme de la creme of vendors (which suggested he/she had a big budget) but agree that without his design reqs, it didn't make sense to reco specific vendors as a Tiffany style design...would the OP have noticed a marked difference in LM vs ERD? Spending less on the setting would have allowed OP to get a higher quality diamond.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Acinom I'm sorry you feel upset about the comments. I still think you are taking it personal and not really understanding what Yssie, myself and other posters are saying. Now with that said, please dont twist what I wrote. Please quote me where I said someone's ring was boring? I was suggesting that PS was getting boring.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1395169213|3636620 said:
Acinom I'm sorry you feel upset about the comments. I still think you are taking it personal and not really understanding what Yssie, myself and other posters are saying.

She understands. I understand. Whenever someone does not agree with you or calls you out for being rude, your response is always that it was taken the wrong way or that someone else doesn't understand what you are trying to say.

I would LOVE to be able to comment on every single vendor's work. But I only have experience with one. I'll take heed next time and stick to the Emilya Halo threads. :lol:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
soxfan|1395171163|3636649 said:
SB621|1395169213|3636620 said:
Acinom I'm sorry you feel upset about the comments. I still think you are taking it personal and not really understanding what Yssie, myself and other posters are saying.

She understands. I understand. Whenever someone does not agree with you or calls you out for being rude, your response is always that it was taken the wrong way or that someone else doesn't understand what you are trying to say.

I would LOVE to be able to comment on every single vendor's work. But I only have experience with one. I'll take heed next time and stick to the Emilya Halo threads. :lol:

Sox I don't think we will ever see eye to eye. And no one was making this thread personal till you posted. That seems to always be a theme with you. When you feel someone corrects whatever blanket statment you are making you feel the need to reply back with something sarcastic. I wont' get into it. I feel this has gone far enough off course from the OP's orginal question so I will refrain from commenting further.

Once again sorry OP for the curve ball. I actually found many of the comments interesting and I hope you post more on PS. I'm a big fan of wedding day jewerly gifts as well :naughty:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi!

Help :/ I have 4 to 6 weeks left - so i really need to get in with a good designer asap, and even then i'd need a rush job!

I don't get what everybody's panties are all in a knot over. My response to the above would've been :

I worked w/Jonathan at Good Old Gold and got three amazing AVC's, and then the setting is an interpretation of Coati's three stone from Single Stone. I was too chicken to let another vendor create it, so I sucked it up and went with Single Stone. I'm not sure what kind of look your girlfriend prefers, but I like chunky facets in diamonds and sleek settings.

From the original post, we don't know if we're giving thoughts on pave, bezels, semi bezels, prongs, engraving, split shank, solitaire, three stone, five stone, modern, antique, nothing, just who makes the best rings. I would personally say Single Stone cuz hey, my ring kick ass.

Soooo, it's not too far a stretch for Yssie to advise caution in finding out what exactly we're giving thoughts on first, lest we steer the poster in the wrong direction. If it were ME, and I'd posted that request for help, VC/SK/LM would be the wrong direction, which would've confused the heck out of me. It has nothing to do w/not liking a certain vendor or picking at a poster, it's about finding out what the poster is looking for first, so we know which way to steer them. It's not anything to get upset about.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1395168023|3636605 said:
Yssie:
Please also note that the OP made it explicit that he did not want to go to Cartier/De Beers/Tiffany... And yet you recommended him to choose a Cartier ring. Not sure whether that can be translated to 'listening' to the OP.
I did not recommend choosing a Cartier ring:
I do want to point out, though, if feeling like her ring is a Cartier is truly important to her... not one of those vendors has the history, heritage, or cachet of Cartier and De Beers, the two examples you used. In this case buying a smaller stone in a branded setting may well be worth further consideration.

SB: it doesn't feel very respectful to call other people's ring's boring.

Not sure whether it's the 'one vendor recommendation' that is bugging PS or unfriendly remarks towards other PSers.
Various people here will have different views and experiences and to me, that's what makes PS interesting. It feels rather unwelcome that it is implied that PSers can only post if they have a wealthy knowledge of all American vendors. I live in Europe, have only worked with VC (one project with a different US vendor coming up), as well as had several interactions with 4 other US vendors. Does this mean I cannot post anymore? Interesting :(sad ...
I actually mentioned SK, VC and LM since the OP mentioned SK which to me gave a clear direction. I totally agree Yssie and SB that it is great to mention other vendors as well and to first make absolutely clear what the requirements of an OP are.

I highly respect you Yssie and SB: it was through your french cut thread Yssie that I found my dream ring!!! And SB: you helped me so much with recommendations about the details!! So, I guess I feel a little sad and overwhelmed by the harsh comments. I first choose to ignore them as this is such a happy thread!!

Sorry for threadjacking OP!!!

Wanted to tell you I had the same experience: my french cuts looked honey brown on the photo :shock: But in real life there is no brown at all. :) So glad things are working out so well for you!! :appl:
I am very sorry that my comments have upset you. I can't speak with surety for anyone else, but I think the bolded is exactly what we are all trying to come to agreement on - and quite possibly already agree on, actually!!

I am admittedly one of the nitpickiest, most particular, most detail-oriented consumers on PS. I talk to other nitpicky, particular, detail-oriented consumers of jewellery both on and off the forums. It is no secret that vendors excel in different areas, and to be perfectly honest I completely agree with SB - PS has become very uniform in terms of vendor recommendations for all but the most esoteric projects.

There is a notable difference, though, between recommending a specific vendor who you (general "you") think will be good for a particular job, even if others would disagree, and recommending a specific vendor for ANY job (without bothering to find out exactly what that job will entail!) because he/she is JustThatAwesomeAtAbsolutelyEverything. It'd be like recommending G VS2s to all newcomers. And in my opinion, and obviously in others' as well, many of the responses in this thread crossed that line and then some.

charks

Rough_Rock
Stop worrying!!

I bought a 1.48 vvs2 h XXX diamond from a US vendor and it blows away anything in a UK high st store.

You can't go really wrong if you use the HCA.

A great diamond is a great diamond.

The setting is what gives it character.

What does she like - modern, simple antique etc?

Go with what you think she'd love.

You know it makes sense.

If in doubt best buy a plain setting and let her choose her own setting after the proposal.

kay1

Shiny_Rock
Just to offer some feedback on how it was for me.

I fully expected one of four responses:

1) I know of X,Y and Z. I haven't used them but their rings look wow - Minimally useful response.

2) X is the best and amazing (because the poster had a ring made from X) - Semi useful response.

3) I've used X and Y and Z - X was ok, Y was better, Z was the best because ... - Very useful response.

4) What kind of question is that?! we need more information - No very useful response in itself, but leads to VERY useful discussion.

I think when people own a very sentimental piece of jewelry made by a particular vendor and you ask a question like I did, I fully expected a lot of bias. At the same time the majority of the people have only had experience with one vendor. People who have had multiple experience are fewer.

I guess it's a bit like saying what's the best car? Most people are only informed enough to talk about the car they own. Also in terms of the same recommendations (eg VC) - if a lot of users on a car forum all buy an audi, does it mean an audi is the best car? maybe, maybe not. Does it mean the forum is 'sad' and 'boring' because all they talk about is audi's? Maybe, maybe not. Does it mean the forum lost it's objectivity? Probably a bit.

I for one do understand everyones point of view - and from where i'm standing - a few steps back - it looks like some past exchanges on here are tainting the argument here, which is a pretty fair one.

Just my 2 cents as the OP.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Can I jump in on the fun too ...... :Up_to_something:

Ok I don't actually have anything useful to say but I think everyone is trying to help. I value SB's opinion greatly (not just because she is a great person) but she is one of the few with actual hands on experience - she has bought and owned rings/diamonds from almost every vendor mentioned on PS (LM, SK, SS, VC, DK, BGD/WF, and the list goes on). So she really knows their strengths and weaknesses. Yssie has such a particular eye and an equally impressive list of first hand experience.

I can also throw mine in here having worked with LM, SK, ERD, Maytal for myself and BGD and WF for my friends. I think all of our tastes and tolerances have changed as we have learnt more ourselves. I went from a cut nut freak into one that actually appreciates funky less than "perfect" cuts and an appreciation for high-end settings. Yet, I have very frequently bought rings for my friends that suited their needs - ideal cut diamonds, less than ideal cut rounds, funky old cuts, just plain badly cut diamonds, second hand diamonds ... and settings from high-end all the way to ones where I can see imperfections. Everyone wants different things and have different budgets - the key here is fit for purpose.

None of our beloved vendors are perfect - they are human! I had good and bad experiences with vendors I recommend. I am constantly looking for new vendors that meet my needs and have been actively searching for a new non-ps vendor to try.

I can totally relate to RT help fatigue. I read some of my old posts that were helpful to more recent posts that are far less helpful. I may not also agree with Gypsy's response style or Neil's recommendations but I certainty respect the endless effort they put into RT trying to help stranger find their perfect ring. Yissie's high scientific posts and the contributions of all our trades people. Our newcomers who try to help others like they have been helped. Without them, PS would truly be a ghost town.

End of yet another useless post from me.

kay1

Shiny_Rock
So i just made the payment out of my account - I feel poor now!

I can't wait for it to arrive now - hope she likes it!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kay1|1395235488|3637213 said:

Aaah, no way back now :naughty: :naughty:
Can Victor deliver within your set timeframe? When do you expect the ring to be ready?
I am sure she will love it!!! :D

@Charmy: you are a wise owl :wavey:

kay1

Shiny_Rock
Acinom|1395242479|3637299 said:
kay1|1395235488|3637213 said:

Aaah, no way back now :naughty: :naughty:
Can Victor deliver within your set timeframe? When do you expect the ring to be ready?
I am sure she will love it!!! :D

@Charmy: you are a wise owl :wavey:

Yes and probably a few days early :) although that's not guaranteed of course! It should be ready in about 4 weeks time. It's a long long time, but at the same time not very long to get the proposal things organised!

kay1

Shiny_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results