shape
carat
color
clarity

Being Extra Cautious - Need a 2nd Opinion on Diamond Purchase

younghonne

Rough_Rock
I've been really skeptical of buying a diamond online. But after visiting local jewelry stores, I ended up buying one from James Allen (assortment and price were far better). I used the tools on this site to help narrow down my choices and ended up with:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...olor-vvs2-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-7451452

I understand I'm wasting money on color and clarity. But 1.8 is as high as I was asked to go (she has a size 3 finger), so I was able to splurge with my budget (~$20k).

I believe I've checked all the boxes, but is there anything in the 360 view a novice like me is missing? Does it look dull or a bit out of focus? Will the fire/scintillation/brilliance be good? The price is lower compared to similar diamonds, so I'm being very skeptical - a second opinion would be helpful. With the 30-day return, I'm open to suggestions for other diamonds as well. Thanks!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a fan of JA in terms of their quality for the price or settings.

If you want to splurge on the best,do it on a super ideal from a top company with great customer service like Whiteflash or high performance diamonds. The cut will be ideal, upgrade policy is $1, and setting/customer service will be much better than JA.

From WF there are multiple options g+ color and eye clean SI1 or better clarity.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4046746.htm

HP diamonds has this one, and some H color as well.
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10562

These 2 companies would be my go-to if you want the best.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you post a copy of your cert? I had a good experience with James Allen and a lot of people here used to buy/recommend stones but I think sometime this last year they stopped allowing people to see the certificate which made it harder for people to judge the stones.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
I like the stones lovedogs has listed. Those vendors have great upgrade policies. JA requires you spend 2x to upgrade. And both vendors have access to great settings. HPD has a great custom bench and a relationship with Stuller. Stuller has gorgeous settings!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s not a true hearts and arrows. You can see the “defects” in this pic:
2F173291-6BB6-4BB1-A9CB-92B63BB498E7.jpeg

Some arrow heads are crooked and they don’t line up in the middle.

Would you post the certificate?

This might be on the picky side, but if you are going to spend 20k, why not get perfection?

However, the biggest question is, did you get the stone and what do you think about it?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another but: with the JA stone (pending the certificate), you’ve done better than probably 98% of buyers, but you asked so now we comment.

It looks to be a beautiful stone at any rate.

younghonne

Rough_Rock
cert (1).jpeg

Sorry for late response, it's been one of those days. Attached the cert.

Would I be able to tell that it's not a true hearts and arrows with the naked eye?

And yes, I received it and will try to upload some videos. Thanks everyone.

younghonne

Rough_Rock
Turn down the volume for the first video - the AC is a little loud.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is nothing wrong with the stone, and as long as you like it then don't worry. I was just saying I don't think it's the best stone possible for 20k. But I also don't think by any means that it's a bad stone.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Turn down the volume for the first video - the AC is a little loud.

Its a beautiful stone. :love:

No, I doubt the average person would be able to tell it’s not a true hearts and arrows.

I think you did a great job picking a stone.

younghonne

Rough_Rock
@lovedogs I appreciate your opinion. I checked out the WhiteFlash diamond you suggested. It sparkles nicely, but it's hard to compare the one I purchased since JamesAllen's 360 video is so different. I can see what you mean about the hearts and arrows not being perfect. So, you would rather go down in the below specs to get true hearts and arrows?
  • HCA: 0.9 --> 1.3
  • Color: G --> F
  • Clarity: VVS2 --> VS2
I'm just trying to understand how someone who's got more experience analyzes diamonds and what to look out for. I'm not really looking for the "right" diamond, I just don't want to make a wrong choice. Hope that makes sense! Thanks again.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You didn’t in any way make a wrong choice! Now, if she ever wants to upgrade, you will have to spend double with James Allen.

Tomorrow, if the sun is out (or this weekend) take some photos of your diamond under a canopy of tree leaves like I did today with mine:
7BB6CEB9-3112-4B93-8C35-1E0E848CC3B0.jpeg

If you see all these colors and the arrows light up and it sparkles, then it’s a wonderful choice.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you say it was cheaper, what do you mean? To Brick and mortar stores, or to other similar online diamonds?

The only thing I wonder is if it has brown body tint, which would be the reason for the cheaper price. GIA doesn’t list body tint below a J IIRC.

It could also be my monitor. I personally enjoy brown body tint, and IF that is the reason for the price break, and you didn’t notice it, then you got a deal.

In other words, brown body tint isn’t bad if you like it.

Does anyone else see this, or is it my monitor?

***this is mostly speculation based on your cheaper comment. It could also be the studio lighting at JA, I’m not saying it has brown body tint. I don’t know if it does.

younghonne

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tip @whitewave!

Yes, cheaper vs brick and mortar stores close by. A comparable diamond was ~22.5k.

I was wondering that too when I was viewing it on JA. When compared to this diamond, the colors seemed more dull and yellows looked more brown.

But in real life, it don't see the tint when looking through the side of the diamond.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs I appreciate your opinion. I checked out the WhiteFlash diamond you suggested. It sparkles nicely, but it's hard to compare the one I purchased since JamesAllen's 360 video is so different. I can see what you mean about the hearts and arrows not being perfect. So, you would rather go down in the below specs to get true hearts and arrows?
I'm just trying to understand how someone who's got more experience analyzes diamonds and what to look out for. I'm not really looking for the "right" diamond, I just don't want to make a wrong choice. Hope that makes sense! Thanks again.
You didn't make a wrong choice at all. But JA isn't an ideal vendor, they don't have great settings, and you'll have to spend double to ever upgrade. Also, anything under 2 on HCA = pass, and HCA is NOT for AGS 000 stones. A score of .9 vs 1.9 is all the same. So that isn't part of the equation. Both G and F will look very white, and vvs is overkill for clarity (IMHO) because once a stone is eye clean it really doesn't matter beyond that because no one is looking under a microscope.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, the choice would be to go with a super ideal vendor who will allow upgrades for $1 more if you want it In the future. And who has better settings and customer service. The stone you got is totally fine (it's very very nice!), But for 20k it wouldn't be my choice.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a comment here - colour and clarity have no bearing on hearts and arrows - that comes from proper, careful cutting.
The super ideal vendors being proposed here like WF, BGD and HPD all cut their own stones (hence the branded stones) and therefore tightly control the quality of cutting to have better symmetry and precision.
Drop shippers like JA just select from the global pool of diamonds, they don't cut them. Their TrueHearts line are diamonds they've selected to meet a set of parameters that correlate with hearts and arrows display.
I think the stone you've selected is great especially for one selected from a wide pool where cut and symmetry isn't the overriding factor that drives the production of that diamond.
I do think there are issues with JA if you ever want to upgrade - with them you'd need to spend double. The super ideal vendors all have better upgrade policies than that. They also make better settings than JA and have better customer service. You may or may not find that important. It's your call.
You have not chosen a dud by any means.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the price is basically the same, I'd go with the ACA, since that's their super ideal line. ES stones are often a great value bc you can save $ and get an amazing stone. But in this case the price is the same, and for me F/G and vs1/vs2 wouldn't matter. But both are very good choices.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with above, both are great, but I do love that ACA G.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave @lovedogs

Ahh! I sent the wrong one. Instead of the ES stone, here's the one I was looking at:
It's a 1.71 G VS1 for ~$1k extra. Would you go with that or https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4046746.htm

Thanks a million!!!
Both are great. I would ask WF to take photos/videos of both and let your eyes decide. I personally wouldn't spend an extra $1 for vs1 compared to vs2 , and otherwise they are basically the same.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still like th G vs2.

younghonne

Rough_Rock
@whitewave @lovedogs @foxinsox
A rep at WF sent me videos and pictures and the 1.73 VS2 looks stunning.
Just reserved it and initiated the return for the JA diamond!

Thank you all for your help. It's been quite stressful (and exciting) picking out a diamond - I'm glad I found this forum. You guys really helped me turn a good decision into a great one. Cheers!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you all for your help. It's been quite stressful (and exciting) picking out a diamond - I'm glad I found this forum. You guys really helped me turn a good decision into a great one. Cheers!

We will need hand shots after she gets the ring,:appl:

Congratulations!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yay congrats!!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results