shape
carat
color
clarity

Being Extra Cautious - Need a 2nd Opinion on Diamond Purchase

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by younghonne, Aug 8, 2019.

1. foxinsox
    Ideal_Rock

by foxinsox » Aug 10, 2019
    @younghonne how exciting! I think you’ve picked a winner with your WF stone. How are you setting it again?

lovedogs likes this.
  2. MissGotRocks
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by MissGotRocks » Aug 10, 2019
    Congratulations - should be a beautiful ring! Please come back with hand shots of the finished ring. You did an excellent job!

3. younghonne
    Rough_Rock

by younghonne » Aug 10, 2019
    @whitewave @MissGotRocks You got it - I'll update with photos.

@foxinsox We're thinking of going with a local jeweler. We've gone there twice already. He shipped in 2 sets of diamonds to view. The fact that he was genuinely happy for us when we told him we found a diamond online (along with great reviews), makes us confident purchasing from him.

They have a petite pave ring with 4 claw prongs that my girlfriend really liked, similar to this:

https://www.brilliantearth.com/Petite-Viviana-Diamond-Ring-(1/4-ct.-tw.)-Platinum-BE1D1260-7876329/

We're thinking if we need cleaning, adjustments, or any fixes, it's better to buy local to build a rapport.

Again, all opinions are welcome!

4. MissGotRocks
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by MissGotRocks » Aug 10, 2019
    It is generally better to have the diamond set by the vendor. Questions arise about trying to insure a loose stone and who would be responsible for damage during the setting process by another jeweler. It might be possible to buy a setting from a jeweler and ship it to WF for setting - you would have to check with them to be sure though. The setting is beautiful but not a difficult one to recreate or find so just something to think about. You have been very thoughtful in this whole buying process so I just want you to end up with a gorgeous ring with ho hiccups!

lovedogs likes this.

5. whitewave
    Ideal_Rock

by whitewave » Aug 10, 2019

Sort of agree here, though I get why you might use a local jeweler. I would ask if he can get ideal cut melee and what color, etc.
    Maybe let WF set the stone and let him do your bands?

It’s up to you.

lovedogs likes this.
  6. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

by lovedogs » Aug 10, 2019
    If you buy the stone loose and have a local jeweler set it, you need to make sure it's insured in case it gets damaged during setting. That's why I recommend that people use the same vendor for stone + setting. But I like @whitewave s idea to get wedding bands from the local person if you like them and want to build trust/rapport.

7. foxinsox
    Ideal_Rock

by foxinsox » Aug 10, 2019
    All this advice is what I was going to say too. Look very closely at the setting he has that your gf likes - is the quality of the pave good? Not every jeweller does a good job. Ask to see examples of rings he’s made if he’s making this one for you Or stones he’s set if it’s a stock setting.
    I get the desire to have someone local for adjustments but you can create that relationship through other means like getting your bands from there. And I wouldn’t be using the jeweller for cleanings - I clean my rings daily myself..

lovedogs likes this.