shape
carat
color
clarity

Being Extra Cautious - Need a 2nd Opinion on Diamond Purchase

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@younghonne how exciting! I think you’ve picked a winner with your WF stone. How are you setting it again?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations - should be a beautiful ring! Please come back with hand shots of the finished ring. You did an excellent job!

younghonne

Rough_Rock
@whitewave @MissGotRocks You got it - I'll update with photos.

@foxinsox We're thinking of going with a local jeweler. We've gone there twice already. He shipped in 2 sets of diamonds to view. The fact that he was genuinely happy for us when we told him we found a diamond online (along with great reviews), makes us confident purchasing from him.

They have a petite pave ring with 4 claw prongs that my girlfriend really liked, similar to this:

https://www.brilliantearth.com/Petite-Viviana-Diamond-Ring-(1/4-ct.-tw.)-Platinum-BE1D1260-7876329/

We're thinking if we need cleaning, adjustments, or any fixes, it's better to buy local to build a rapport.

Again, all opinions are welcome!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is generally better to have the diamond set by the vendor. Questions arise about trying to insure a loose stone and who would be responsible for damage during the setting process by another jeweler. It might be possible to buy a setting from a jeweler and ship it to WF for setting - you would have to check with them to be sure though. The setting is beautiful but not a difficult one to recreate or find so just something to think about. You have been very thoughtful in this whole buying process so I just want you to end up with a gorgeous ring with ho hiccups!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is generally better to have the diamond set by the vendor. Questions arise about trying to insure a loose stone and who would be responsible for damage during the setting process by another jeweler. It might be possible to buy a setting from a jeweler and ship it to WF for setting - you would have to check with them to be sure though. The setting is beautiful but not a difficult one to recreate or find so just something to think about. You have been very thoughtful in this whole buying process so I just want you to end up with a gorgeous ring with ho hiccups!

Sort of agree here, though I get why you might use a local jeweler. I would ask if he can get ideal cut melee and what color, etc.
Maybe let WF set the stone and let him do your bands?

It’s up to you.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you buy the stone loose and have a local jeweler set it, you need to make sure it's insured in case it gets damaged during setting. That's why I recommend that people use the same vendor for stone + setting. But I like @whitewave s idea to get wedding bands from the local person if you like them and want to build trust/rapport.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All this advice is what I was going to say too. Look very closely at the setting he has that your gf likes - is the quality of the pave good? Not every jeweller does a good job. Ask to see examples of rings he’s made if he’s making this one for you Or stones he’s set if it’s a stock setting.
I get the desire to have someone local for adjustments but you can create that relationship through other means like getting your bands from there. And I wouldn’t be using the jeweller for cleanings - I clean my rings daily myself..

younghonne

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

It's been a while! So to update, we still love the diamond you guys recommended (thanks again!) and despite your concerns, we went ahead with the local jeweler for the setting (we couldn't find a setting she liked on WF). Yesterday, our jeweler sent us renderings of the ring he designed with a real 3D model of it (attached).

He assured us the renderings always look heavier than the finished piece and the prongs are purposely kept long and heavy for the setter. The excess metal will be filed away after the stones are securely set. He also said he couldn't add in the French pave details, since it will be done by hand and taking the time to render the details would not be practical. All in all, we are really impressed.

The only concern we have is the diamond looks to be set pretty high. Our jeweler said this has many benefits (easier to clean and allows more light in). Our fear is it may be too top heavy and will cause the ring to constantly shift to either side through the day. Plus, my girlfriend thinks it may look better being set a little lower, but doesn't mind either way. The jewelry said he can move it down 1mm and would be an easy change.

I was hoping to get your opinions. Should we keep it the way it is? Or should we move the diamond 1mm lower?

@foxinsox @lovedogs @whitewave @MissGotRocks @HDer @hypermom

Render 01.jpg Render 02.jpg Render 03.jpg Render 04.jpg Render 05.jpg
3d-ring-2.jpg 3d-ring-3.jpg 3d-ring-1.jpg

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are going to have a beautiful ring! As for the height, I personally would prefer the diamond to sit a bit lower. A higher set diamond can be beautiful but not always practical for every day wear at a job, etc. I wouldn't want the culet (tip of the diamond) touching the metal but would have it closer than it is now. Medium height would be the best descriptor I would use if your jeweler can interpret that non-scientific description!

As for the spinning, some rings spin regardless of height. A wedding band often helps ground it to the finger so don't be surprised if it moves from side to side when worn alone. There are some plastic ring grips sold on Amazon that fit over the shank on the palm side of the hand (small, clear not real noticeable) that can sometimes help to tighten the ring on your finger.

Can't wait to see hand shots of your new ring!

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Assuming those pics scale accurately, the diamond appears too high. I would bring it down a tad to close the gap, otherwise looks a bit awkward.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For my personal tastes, the diamond sits high. For some it wouldn't be an issue. Granted i have a desk job, but still, I can be a bit of a klutz. I have 2 rings (non diamonds but still) that are high sitting. I really don't wear them much because of this fact. I would see if they could set the stone a little lower. Higher set stones have some advantages of cleaning, but at the same time, its not good if you're going to knock the darn thing around because its just too high for you.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would bring it the diamond down some. You still have plenty of room. Cleaning wont be an issue. And the light thing...well, light comes in from
the top of the stone, gets reflected around and (in a well-cut stone like yours) gets reflected back out the top.

younghonne

Rough_Rock
Looks like its unanimous - thanks so much everyone!!

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
I agree with everyone! I personally would like it set lower than it is now.
I have a little more metal on the underside of my ring and my ring doesn’t spin ( but I don’t have pave on the band). You can ask your jeweler if he has any other suggestions to minimize spinning. Hopefully when you are wearing the engagement ring with a wedding band that should help!
Beautiful design and diamond. I don’t think you’ll regret going with Whiteflash!

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
@younghonne
Beautiful choice
How did you find the JA true hearts diamond compares to the WF ACA you went with?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results