shape
carat
color
clarity

Bad Experience with Natural Sapphire Company (long)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm.

Thoughts. Not that anyone asked for them. And not all of them are original to the thread.

Fox, you should have gotten an independent appraisal first thing. Or called your insurance company. The jeweler you spoke to may easily have been baised. Clearly you''ve been after NSC like a dog with a bone, and here''s a tip to help you with conflict resolution: Legal threats, threats to report to BBB, Jewelers counsel, etc... should generally all be final resorts. From your own accounting over pages and pages on this forum it sounds like you jumped the gun a bit. Those things are EXHAUSTING. As neatfreak said, sending your ring to an independant appraiser, then if they collaborated your suspicions, dropping the whole mess in your insurance''s lap, would have been the best course to resolution. If the appraiser did not collarborate your story, then you should probably have just looked into a different style ring more suited to your lifestyle and habits, paid for it, and moved on with life.

I think the problems looks like more of a design flaw than a poor casting issuse. I have a setting of vaguely similar design and have looked at quite a few settings like mine and Fox''s. If the head sits up to high, as someone said, it get''s caught and will rip the whole thing off. That said, Ritani''s endless love halos have similar designs, NO gallery wires for bracing, and do come in palladium. So I think it''s possible to have this style done right, and that this is just not an example. of that.

I would be extremely ticked if my ring broke 3 times in the first 12 months I''d owned it. I would have just picked a new setting the second time though, instead of getting it repaired. Either a new design, or the same design, new ring. And would have expected the vendor to accomodate me, AS LONG AS MY REQUEST WAS BACKED with an independant appraisal that confirmed a flaw, design or manufacure, in the setting.

I don''t think NSC has gone ''above and beyond'' yet. Had the independent appraisal stated that it was a wear and wear or customer related fault, then yes... their actions would have been above and beyond. As it stands I think they are just to blame for this situation as Fox is. They should have said at one point: "Look send it to an independant appraiser, here''s a list. If it comes back our fault we will do what we can to make it right, including offering you a refund on your setting and paying ofr the appraiseral. If it comes back that it is your fault, you pay for the appraisal, and do what you like. If it comes back uncertain, we''ll split the appraisal costs with you and negotiate a mutually acceptable compromise." I think its ridiculous to risk your company''s reputation on 2K max worth of costs when there was an alternative.

I think that, from my personal experience, there are good lawyers and bad lawyers. And everything in between. I think there are naturally litigious people, and I think Law School, law students, and recent law school grads IN MY EXPERIENCE AND OBSERVATION tend to jump to legal action quickly withour realizing the position those threats put the other side in. I think that if a customer comes to you with a reasonable request, backed by credible evidence and is polite, most reputable jewelers (and I do feel that NSC is generally reputatable) would listen. I think that if a customer, however correct in their facts, walks in the door screaming " My local jeweler, who wants to sell me a new setting, said this is crap and I''m going to sue you or.... bleep, bleep, bleep...." this is not inclined to make anyone want to deal with that customer. And I suspect this is why NSC has requested the stone back. They are ''firing'' Fox as a client and do not want ANY connection with her because no trust that she will act in good faith. Say the stone chips coming out of the bezel? Will she blame them and claim it was chipped by THEM? I don''t see a problem with their caution, and actually I think it''s wise of them.

I generally think both parties have made mistakes. Blatant ones, IMO, and have both backed themselves into a corner.

I think Fox coming on here was her newest way of trying to force NSC''s hand because she thinks she''s right, and I think NSC coming on here was to show that they would not be bullied when they believe they are in the right.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well said Gypsy. Very objective and a fair assessment of the situation. I think that there is fault on both sides, and I think that NSC is going to suffer the consequences. This has been MISERABLE PR for them.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
"A guest for a while can see for a mile." I may be new, but that doesn''t mean I don''t know how to read. I am also not the only one who mentioned the comments, one member even called them down right rude...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 4:37:41 PM
Author: soberguy
'A guest for a while can see for a mile.' I may be new, but that doesn't mean I don't know how to read. I am also not the only one who mentioned the comments, one member even called them down right rude...
You said the forum was unfriendly. You did not specify just this thread.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Sometimes the smartest move is to fire the client.

As to the negative PR for NSC, I doubt if 95% of the people who are saying "I''d never deal with them" were shopping for a sapphire anyway. The other 5% will make their decisions based on who has stock, and who has the right stone at the right price. There is no reason for a vendor to be held hostage to litigious clients IMO.

I think Gypsy summed it up pretty well.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Without naming names, it was quite disturbing to see some members wrote with harsh tones towards FOX and jumping to conclusions while there isn''t enough information. I applaud those who stayed objective and with unbiased opinions.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I mis-named. I meant thread, but why so defensive. My god, my first post and i get attacked. I think I have some idea of how she must feel.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 5:25:10 PM
Author: soberguy
I mis-named. I meant thread, but why so defensive. My god, my first post and i get attacked. I think I have some idea of how she must feel.
To be fair, you certainly came in swinging yourself. I don''t think that walking into a forum and talking about how it''s got an "undercurrent of insults" and its "unfriendly" is really the way to get off on the right foot.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
well forgive me, but have you read this thread? I''m not the only one who noticed how rude some of the people were. I was making a statement of fact based on what I read.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, just pointing out that she has said that she does not have insurance on the ring. You made good points though.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 3:36:16 PM
Author: Gypsy
I think Fox coming on here was her newest way of trying to force NSC''s hand because she thinks she''s right, and I think NSC coming on here was to show that they would not be bullied when they believe they are in the right.

Yep.

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
For the record, Gypsy, I''m not a fan of being dubbed "litigious." All I said to NSC, that they are characterizing as threats, is "If you don''t respond to my request for a refund within 10 days [I didn''t say they had to respond with a check or in the affirmative], I will contact my attorney and the BBB, etc." This was assuring I would hear from them. THere is nothing wrong with that, as it is common to write to a CO. and they ignore you. I don''t know if you read the whole thread--but I said that do NOT want to sue. Rather, I''m just writing a letter. There is nothing wrong with a consumer using the available means to get a refund.

Also, I told NSC I would sign away my right to future warranty, and I meant that. That would be an enforceable contract, which they could use in court, if they wanted. Whether or not you think I would act in good faith is immaterial, (and I don''t really appreciate the insinuation that I wouldn''t).

I hate to explain the independent appraisal thing again: BUT, I will. NSC has said NO WAY NO HOW will they give me a refund without refunding the whole stone (they qualified that with IF they would give me a refund). We''re stuck there. There would be no point, at this point, of getting an independent appraisal about the setting if they still won''t agree to JUST refund the setting. And, I have to say that they could have asked me to get one if they weren''t happy with what my jeweler said, and they didn''t. They just flat said no. Still, I have continued to say that I will get one if they request it and if it is necessary. I think it is a good idea, I just don''t want to waste time and money if it is not necessary.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t posted on this forum in months and months but I really have to agree with you Gypsy, especially about law students or lawyers who haven''t been practicing law long enough to know what they don''t know. It seems obvious to me that the best course at this point would be for the two parties to talk OFF LINE and agree on an independent appraiser that can take a look at the ring and decide whether the damage was the fault of the buyer or if it was the result of poor craftsmanship, a design flaw or both. Assuming the fault lies with either the design or craftsmanship, then the issue of the value of the shank comes into play. It is possible that NSC gave the purchaser a reduced price on the stone in exchange for her buying the setting from them. In this case, even though she purchased the ring in two separate transactions (stone and setting) the appraiser should also assign a true market value to the setting in order to ascertain how much money NSC owes her in refund to replace the setting. Either way, this is something that can be amicably resolved and should be. If there is too much emotion between the parties, then maybe a third party can interface on behalf of the customer so that they can sort it out. This is an issue that would be pretty easy to resolve once an appraiser is involved who doesn''t have a hand in the game.

PS Hi everyone!!! :)

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
Isabelle,
Now I have to agree with some other posters, and say that that was downright rude. I know enough to know how to handle this situation, as does my father, who has been practicing for 40 years. Thanks for your input, though.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 4:57:23 PM
Author: purrfectpear

As to the negative PR for NSC, I doubt if 95% of the people who are saying ''I''d never deal with them'' were shopping for a sapphire anyway. The other 5% will make their decisions based on who has stock, and who has the right stone at the right price. There is no reason for a vendor to be held hostage to litigious clients IMO.

Yes. I agree. There have been pages of very good advice given for how to rationally resolve the issue.

thetrial

Rough_Rock

As to the negative PR for NSC, I doubt if 95% of the people who are saying ''I''d never deal with them'' were shopping for a sapphire anyway. The other 5% will make their decisions based on who has stock, and who has the right stone at the right price. There is no reason for a vendor to be held hostage to litigious clients IMO.

And you would know this how? I AM in the market and still would consider NSC for the stone and measure all experiences, including Fox''s and Linda and her beautiful pads. Making sweeping generalizations/assumptions about whether or not someone is in the market to buy a stone is unnecessary and rude. IMO it is your way of minimizing and poo pooing someone elses opinion.
38.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 6:56:45 PM
Author: thetrial

And you would know this how? I AM in the market and still would consider NSC for the stone and measure all experiences, including Fox''s and Linda and her beautiful pads. Making sweeping generalizations/assumptions about whether or not someone is in the market to buy a stone is unnecessary and rude. IMO it is your way of minimizing and poo pooing someone elses opinion.
38.gif
Glad that point wasn''t lost on you. Now that we have that out of the way, good luck on that search for a sapphire.
9.gif

The fact is that not everyone is going to believe every person who posts their version of events. OP has complained about several posts at this point with her "I don''t appreciate...yadda, yadda". Apparently she doesn''t "appreciate" any post that doesn''t characterize her as the victim.
20.gif
We shall have to agree to disagree.

thetrial

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 7:49:48 PM
Date: 3/26/2009 6:56:45 PM

Author: thetrial

38.gif
Glad that point wasn''t lost on you. Now that we have that out of the way, good luck on that search for a sapphire.
9.gif

The fact is that not everyone is going to believe every person who posts their version of events. OP has complained about several posts at this point with her ''I don''t appreciate...yadda, yadda''. Apparently she doesn''t ''appreciate'' any post that doesn''t characterize her as the victim.
20.gif
We shall have to agree to disagree.

I don''t see her characterize herself as a victim and is taking in everyone''s points and has thanked posters who have offered objective and constructive criticism. No dear the point wasn''t lost on me that''s why I pointed out that at this point you are just attempting to bait and flame other posters. Unless you are Miss Cleo (not that she had a great track record) you have NO CLUE if anyone is in the market for a sapphire. What I see is Fox appreciating opinions that are unbiased, objective, and present both points of view good or bad. What I see her objecting to are personal insults and jabs.

I view most of the people on this forum as being in the market for something, whether its in a week, month, or year.

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
Purrfect, it is ok to tell a forum that you don''t appreciate something. It doesn''t mean I am objecting to not being framed as a "victim," which was never my point. It means that I am setting a personal boundary. If I wanted to be a victim I wouldn''t continue to reiterate that I only posted this as my own experience to maybe help others shopping for a sapphire. It is ok if I appreciate people chiming in when they share my viewpoint. But, as has also been mentioned by Thetrial, I''ve thanked people for objective posts that didn''t agree with me completely.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 5:34:38 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Gypsy, just pointing out that she has said that she does not have insurance on the ring. You made good points though.
Thanks T-gal. I actually wondered if I'd missed that. In that case, I'm sure Fox will be rectifying that error soon, if she hasn't already, and that

Fox, to address the fact that your dad has been a lawyer for 40 years. Here are, again my thoughts. Your dad is a lawyer, not a jeweler. He doesn't know any better than you do what caused the flaw. He is however a father, whose daughter is distressed about something every special and emotional: her engagement ring. Leaving aside the assessment of his skills as a lawyer, or discussing his specialty in his (and my) profession, the fact that his knowledge of this case is informed by you, a very biased source does not lead me, personally, to give his opinion any more weight than anyone elses, or make me think that his advice was correct.

I interpret, advise, negotiate, draft, revise, negotiate, re-interpret contracts for a living and despite your qouting of general contract principles from what you have disclosed in this thread... it's MY opinion (strictly my opinion as a consumer on this site) that this is not a clear cut contract violation issue.

And, as someone whose job it is to pursuade opposing interests to her point of view, the worst thing you can do when you are trying to get anyone to do ANYTHING is to threaten them with adverse legal or professional action. It's actually the worst way to resolve a dispute, and the BEST way to escalate one.

I do wish you the best. And I wish NSC the best.

As for everyone else... I'd like to offer up some pie. And since this IS the colored stones thread... and the forum for those who like to go against the curve ... how does everyone feel about coconut cream pie????
31.gif

coconut-pie-ck-633304-l.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 10:17:58 PM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 3/26/2009 5:34:38 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Thanks T-gal. I actually wondered if I''d missed that. In that case, I''m sure Fox will be rectifying that error soon, if she hasn''t already, and that

Fox, to address the fact that your dad has been a lawyer for 40 years. Here are, again my thoughts. Your dad is a lawyer, not a jeweler. He doesn''t know any better than you do what caused the flaw. He is however a father, whose daughter is distressed about something every special and emotional: her engagement ring. Leaving aside the assessment of his skills as a lawyer, or discussing his specialty in his (and my) profession, the fact that his knowledge of this case is informed by you, a very biased source does not lead me, personally, to give his opinion any more weight than anyone elses, or make me think that his advice was correct.

I interpret, advise, negotiate, draft, revise, negotiate, re-interpret contracts for a living and despite your qouting of general contract principles from what you have disclosed in this thread... it''s MY opinion (strictly my opinion as a consumer on this site) that this is not a clear cut contract violation issue.

And, as someone whose job it is to pursuade opposing interests to her point of view, the worst thing you can do when you are trying to get anyone to do ANYTHING is to threaten them with adverse legal or professional action. It''s actually the worst way to resolve a dispute, and the BEST way to escalate one.

I do wish you the best. And I wish NSC the best.

As for everyone else... I''d like to offer up some pie. And since this IS the colored stones thread... and the forum for those who like to go against the curve ... how does everyone feel about coconut cream pie????
31.gif
Yes please, that looks delish Gypsy. Can I have a big ole slice???
18.gif
18.gif

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, I respect your opinion. And your background. I just wish you respected mine, and my lawyers/Dad''s. You don''t know this situation like I do, and what NSC has said to me, and how they have addressed me, and this entire situation. Nor will you. I never asked for anyone, including you, to pass judgment or adjudicate the situation. I''ve stated that repeatedly. I didn''t even ask for help. I just wanted to share my experience. Commentary is welcome of course, but I feel like the rest is often not necessary, and can actually be more harm than good.

This thread has reached a point of no productivity, and I bow out at this point. We''re all entitled to our opinions, and I hope this helps people in their purchasing decisions. That was my entire objective. I respect the opinions shared, and I wish it felt more like certain others did the same. If anyone has any further questions for me, personally, I''d love to talk. Thanks all!
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dangit Gypsy. You just gave me a SERIOUS craving for dessert.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please pass the pie and alcohol.
36.gif

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
Why has this thread taken such a turn for the worse? Can anyone quite put their finger on it? I'm sorry--a poor choice of words on my part. I don't mean to speak generally, I just mean it makes me sad to think we might be so quick to judge and take sides. Again, I'm no expert...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
martini.gif
Stiff drinks all around!!!

With a special champagne cocktail for SweetE...
Happy%20Congratulations.gif
who has seem the grumpier underbelly of PS with just 25 posts in! ((HUGS))

And LOTS AND LOTS OF PIE for everyone!!
1263732qjo53yeqzf.gif
For Kaleigh, and Fox, and Freke (and Liz, if ya bake something... Fed Ex me a piece will ya? LOL), Chrono, and for SweetE.

Hopefully in no time flat we''ll all be
drinkingbuddies.gif

36.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 10:09:36 PM
Author: Fox2009
Purrfect, it is ok to tell a forum that you don''t appreciate something. It doesn''t mean I am objecting to not being framed as a ''victim,'' which was never my point. It means that I am setting a personal boundary. If I wanted to be a victim I wouldn''t continue to reiterate that I only posted this as my own experience to maybe help others shopping for a sapphire. It is ok if I appreciate people chiming in when they share my viewpoint. But, as has also been mentioned by Thetrial, I''ve thanked people for objective posts that didn''t agree with me completely.
Ms Fox

Puhleese! Are you seriously trying to tell us that your sole intention in starting this thread is simply to "help" others?

I think you are an extremely articulate and accomplished young woman. I am not even going to begin to dabble in the debate as to the rights and wrongs of your predicament with NSC. There are plenty of very learned people from this board, whose opinions I respect enormously, who have proffered advice in that regard.

From what I can see (unless I am missing something), your first post to this board, 4 days ago, tells us that you have already decided to get a new engagement ring, so much for the sentiment about the sapphire.

Your second post, 3 days ago, launches your offensive against NSC, about whom you feel have done you an egregious disservice, but your sole intention of sharing your story with us is simply to prevent others from suffering the same fate as you?

To coin a phrase from my ancestors, and naturally in my own opinion, but "Do I look like I sailed down the Clyde on a Banana boat?"

Gypsy, please pass me some pie - I''ve heard everything now!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG Gailey, you have me rolling here and please pass me a margarita!!!!!

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
Just popping back on to address this rather judgmental, most recent post. (But, thanks for saying I''m articulate...)

To clear something up: the reason I am getting a new ring is because I cannot wear the one now, and I can''t take the stone out to reset it until this is resolved, which could be a very long time. I don''t want to go for a long time without an engagement ring, and there is nothing wrong with that, by my estimation. I plan on getting my sapphire re-set as soon as I can, whenever that is.

Also, yes, my intent (for the millionth time) is to give my personal review for anyone interested in purchasing from them. There''s nothing wrong or unbelievable about that, a lot of people do that.

Ok, over and OUT!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
*Passes Gailey a very yummy slice of pie!!!*
2.gif

old-fashioned-coconut-cream-pie.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results