shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby names you hate

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1310630719|2968607 said:
Listen to this: My friend's son has a teacher whose name is Mr Walker. He just named his newborn son Luke Sky :-o

I, too, know someone who did this. Though he had boy and girl twins. Luke Sky Walker and Leigh Sky Walker.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Victor Reese :bigsmile:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew a Brian who named his kids Brian and Brianna. Ego much? He was a politician, of course!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1310830864|2970355 said:
And there is always going to be someone out there who doesn't like a name. I don't like my own name!

Chill.

I love the name "FrekeChild".

by the way, one of the little girls at my daughter's day care is named "Feline." it is pronounced differently in Dutch: Fe - lee - ne
I just hope she never moves to an English-speaking country.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
LAJennifer|1311054508|2971974 said:
mayerling|1310630719|2968607 said:
Listen to this: My friend's son has a teacher whose name is Mr Walker. He just named his newborn son Luke Sky :-o

I, too, know someone who did this. Though he had boy and girl twins. Luke Sky Walker and Leigh Sky Walker.

At least he didn't name her Leia Sky Walker. :lol:

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Kunzite|1311021127|2971648 said:
amc80|1311007391|2971466 said:
One of my favorite names made the list of top 10 hated baby names. Oh well, I still love it :)
I just looked up this list and my name is on there, hehe. I hope people don't start treating me different :-o
Sorry about your luck, Gertrude (or is it Bertha?) :cheeky:

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Hate is such a strong word for such a subjective topic.

There are certainly names and trends that I don't love or wouldn't use for my own kids. But I don't "hate" them, because it doesn't really affect me as I'm free to name my kids whatever I like, as is everyone else.

The other issue is that there are names that I like- such as Aidan- that have become swept up in the Aidan-Brayden-Jayden-Cayden craze that so many seem to dislike. But the thing is, if you picked Aidan a few years ago, how could you possibly predict this trend? So it's hard to generalize when you don't know what will be the next trend.

For example, my kid is Oliver. When I picked it, we knew none. I am fascinated by name history and trends, and I did a lot of research, so I was aware that it was becoming more popular. But so was Henry and Theo at the time. You can't really predict which of those is going to hit, and all of a sudden your son is one of 5? For the record, I do hear it a lot in my neighborhood, so in my mind it's pretty popular. However, we just visited DH's family in another state and nobody out there is using Oliver. So it's also a regional/class/socio-economic thing.

Oh and if someone "hates" Oliver? I don't really care, it fits O perfectly. I would assume they hate the name for whatever personal reasons, but would also assume that if they met my little monkey, they wouldn't transfer their random negative feelings onto him. My MIL didn't like the name, and now she loves it.

My aunt was named Bertha Louise. :cheeky: I just can't see how that was ever considered a "pretty" name, it doesn't roll off the tongue very well. But I wouldn't think the name "Gwyneth" was pretty either, but Gwyneth Paltrow makes it work.

I guess my very long rambling point is, it's all relative. ;))

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know what my Grampa wanted mom to name me? Hazel Dell. I can not even fathom that. I have however named a couple cats that.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Well said China Cat.

Interestingly, there's a baby Hazel in my daycare, and I'm starting to see it more and more. The name Abigail is becoming more and more popular, and I heard the resurgence of it about 5 years ago in my area (maybe even more?). I also love the name Oliver, but my DH wouldn't have it! My friend's daughter is Ruby, and it's the cutest name for that little girl. Whenever she tells the name to people, she sometimes gets weird looks, especially from older generations. But with the younger, "trendier" crowd, they all love it. Old names are becoming really big.

I definitely have a perception of names, moreso than a "hatred" of them. Like that article pointed out, some of those McKenna/Mackenzie/Makayla names are the same to me as the Cayden/Aiden/Jayden names. They are more suburban in my area if that makes sense. I hope that doesn't offend anyone, as it isn't meant to. I used to think the name Jackson was cute, still do, but it just evokes a certain feel to me. I really do think you can tell a lot about someone's name.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
charbie|1311084212|2972184 said:
Kunzite|1311021127|2971648 said:
amc80|1311007391|2971466 said:
One of my favorite names made the list of top 10 hated baby names. Oh well, I still love it :)
I just looked up this list and my name is on there, hehe. I hope people don't start treating me different :-o
Sorry about your luck, Gertrude (or is it Bertha?) :cheeky:

I doubt it. There are a lot of people who do not agree with it. My name is on there, as well as my father's. My father's name is on there because it is "too common." If people hate names because they are "too common" than that means there will be LOTS of people who's name's are on that list.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The year i was born, my name was the #1 or #2 most common name - in the 9th grade, I was in a math class with 3 other girls with my same first and middle name out of 25 students :lol: My sister's name was also in the top ten for her year - needless to say, our parents weren't the most original, but hey that's okay. I like my name just fine, common or not!

I love the trends of names coming in and out of "style" - it's so interesting. There's a great website of the social security administration - it lists the names in order of popularity and shows the trends over a span of ten years for any name you want to search. My sister really likes the name Hazel (mentioned above) but her husband is a really traditional guy, so that would never fly. I looked it up and it went from #893 in 2000 to #262 in 2010. Lots of other older names are also coming back like Lanie said - so interesting!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
violet3|1311183758|2973095 said:
The year i was born, my name was the #1 or #2 most common name - in the 9th grade, I was in a math class with 3 other girls with my same first and middle name out of 25 students :lol: My sister's name was also in the top ten for her year - needless to say, our parents weren't the most original, but hey that's okay. I like my name just fine, common or not!

I love the trends of names coming in and out of "style" - it's so interesting. There's a great website of the social security administration - it lists the names in order of popularity and shows the trends over a span of ten years for any name you want to search. My sister really likes the name Hazel (mentioned above) but her husband is a really traditional guy, so that would never fly. I looked it up and it went from #893 in 2000 to #262 in 2010. Lots of other older names are also coming back like Lanie said - so interesting!

You can actually go back 100+ years!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1311184861|2973118 said:

You can actually go back 100+ years![/quote]

I know! It's a great website, and it's actual records from the U.S., so it's factual data. I started looking at that site when my sister was first trying to get pregnant (about 5 years ago) and I still find it fascinating. I like how you can look up a name and see how it trends in and out of popularity over how ever many years. My sisters name was number 8 at some point and now isn't even in the top 1000. I wonder if it will ever come back, although she hates her name so I'm sure she hopes it doesn't!

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
I did a lot of research into names and I became fascinated by the trends and the whys behind them. There is some generational rule- can't remember if it's 3 or 4 generations, but that's about how long it takes for names to become fresh again. So for example, the resurgence of Max and Lily and Ruby and Violet and Oliver and Henry, which are what our parents would consider old people names, but are now fresh to our ears (or were in the past 10 years or so).

Just wait, our kids are going to think that Barbara and Linda and Carol are "fresh" and we're going to be like, you want to name your baby WHAT? ;))

Disclaimer: I am not saying that Barb and Linda and Carol are bad names, they are just of a certain generation to me and not "fresh" names. My middle name is this type of name. :cheeky:

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
China, it's funny you mention Henry because when we were choosing between Henry and Nolan, our parents hated Henry. We thought they would like it but they (my mom and FIL) both said it was an old man name. FIL suggested Gary - I guess that'll make a comeback in another generation or two. :naughty:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
ChinaCat|1311190053|2973191 said:
I did a lot of research into names and I became fascinated by the trends and the whys behind them. There is some generational rule- can't remember if it's 3 or 4 generations, but that's about how long it takes for names to become fresh again. So for example, the resurgence of Max and Lily and Ruby and Violet and Oliver and Henry, which are what our parents would consider old people names, but are now fresh to our ears (or were in the past 10 years or so).

Just wait, our kids are going to think that Barbara and Linda and Carol are "fresh" and we're going to be like, you want to name your baby WHAT? ;))

Disclaimer: I am not saying that Barb and Linda and Carol are bad names, they are just of a certain generation to me and not "fresh" names. My middle name is this type of name. :cheeky:

Totally true about the generational names. I read a blog on the subject not to long ago. It's really weird to think that my kids might want to name their daughter Debbie or Barbara or something.

The only thing I wish the SS website would do is group names that are spelled differently. It really underestimates the popularity of some names when only looking at one spelling. I know there are other websites that do this, though.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Re: names our parents have making a comeback: we are giving our daughter my mom's name. I was so glad DH didn't fight for us to name the baby after his mom...Nancy :knockout: . His grandma named her daughters the most typical 50's names...Nancy, Diane, and Linda. Luckily, my mom is Patrice (not Patricia). Its so funny how those names could come back into style...names are going to have to go in some direction, bc they crazy "not real" names people are making up now are out of control!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think I can state with reasonable confidence that Olga, Irma and Bertha (my maternal great-gran, grandmother and paternal grandmothers, respectively) will not be back in the Top 10 anytime soon! ;))

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I often wonder if and when those "50's" names are going to make a comeback! Maybe when I'm in my 80's, lol

When I worked for a pottery store we'd go to daycares to do hand-prints, and there was a toddler named Betty. I thought that was just so cute!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband was pretty close to being named Mumford. I don't get it either.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Betty! Haha! That's really cute!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mumford..isn't that The Counts name on Sesame Street? Oh boy, you could have some fun w/that Freke! If it were my husband when he said something I didn't agree w/I'd be like "Ohhh ok there Mumford, whatever you say" and scrunch my face up at him. "What're you gonna do Mumford? Kick my ass?" and then run away laughing. Of course..this sort of teasing might be why we regularly have wrestling matches..

Mom wanted to name my brother Traskin but my gramma freaked out "I'm not having a grandson named Trashcan!". I can hear the teasing w/that name too..it's cute tho, I like it.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Packrat--what is the difference in pronunciation of Gunnar and Gunner? I guess I don't know how to pronounce the "ar" one. Like Gunn-are? I think you mentioned this on the other thread but I'm too lazy to retype all of this over there.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
packrat|1311262293|2973772 said:
Mumford..isn't that The Counts name on Sesame Street? Oh boy, you could have some fun w/that Freke! If it were my husband when he said something I didn't agree w/I'd be like "Ohhh ok there Mumford, whatever you say" and scrunch my face up at him. "What're you gonna do Mumford? Kick my a$$?" and then run away laughing. Of course..this sort of teasing might be why we regularly have wrestling matches..

Mom wanted to name my brother Traskin but my gramma freaked out "I'm not having a grandson named Trashcan!". I can hear the teasing w/that name too..it's cute tho, I like it.

If my husband shared a name with The Count, the fun would be endless... "Oh honey, here are your eggs! ONE fried egg, AH AH AH AH. TWO fried eggs, AH AH AH AH." :twirl:

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I like seeing the trends too. My husband's name has been in the top 5 for over 5 years, but the year he was born, it was barely in the top 300. It didn't even hit the top 1000 until the 1950s. He was always the only one at school. Now kids with his name are a dime a dozen.

My friend wanted to name her baby girl "Ellary," and when she first told me, it sounded so weird to me that I had a hard time keeping a straight face. But now it's grown on me and I think I could get on board with it. Her husband didn't agree, though, so they went with Ella. But the thing is that their last name has the same number of syllables same cadence as "Ellary," so that would have broken one of my name "rules."

In general, though, I don't really have many visceral reaction to names. My husband threw out Victoria for our baby as a first or middle, and I had to squash it because I had too many students who went by "Tori." By itself, though, it has that nice old ring.

We named our daughter Claire, and it has remained in the mid 50s in popularity since she was born, so you wouldn't think it was on the rise, but I swear every where I go there's another Claire. In music class, three of four girls were Claire. Of the three coworkers who had babies after me, two of them named them Claire. So there's a trend here, at least. Kind of annoying since we thought it was a less common name. But what can you do . . .

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Lanie|1311268712|2973862 said:
Packrat--what is the difference in pronunciation of Gunnar and Gunner? I guess I don't know how to pronounce the "ar" one. Like Gunn-are? I think you mentioned this on the other thread but I'm too lazy to retype all of this over there.

I may be wrong, but I think Gunnar is supposed to be pronounced "GOO-nar" and Gunner sounds like a person who shoots guns.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

My 2 best friends were also named Jennifer, and we all had another mutual friend who wasn't named Jennifer. So when we all hung out together, we called our group "Jen, Jen, Jen, and Not Jen."

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Guilty Pleasure|1311275057|2973942 said:
packrat|1311262293|2973772 said:
Mumford..isn't that The Counts name on Sesame Street? Oh boy, you could have some fun w/that Freke! If it were my husband when he said something I didn't agree w/I'd be like "Ohhh ok there Mumford, whatever you say" and scrunch my face up at him. "What're you gonna do Mumford? Kick my a$$?" and then run away laughing. Of course..this sort of teasing might be why we regularly have wrestling matches..

If my husband shared a name with The Count, the fun would be endless... "Oh honey, here are your eggs! ONE fried egg, AH AH AH AH. TWO fried eggs, AH AH AH AH." :twirl:

You are SO in trouble for the chewed up Triscuits that just flew out of my mouth.

The Gunnar/Gunner thing..We actually would've pronounced them both the same, tho I do think the traditional Swedish pronunciation is Goo-nar like mentioned. My Gramma's brother was Gunnar but everyone said Gun-ner. JD was worried people would say it like Guh-NAR all harsh but I didn't see where they would.

RE: Ellary..I was looking up Swedish names for our new puppy and saw Ellery and ohhh my word I LOVE IT. Ellery Maeve. That's not what the puppies name will be but maybe I'll save it for a pet down the road. I just love it!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Hedwig. I don't know who'd name their little baby girl Hedwig but we had one in my high school. But now, because of Harry Potter and his owl, this could be the next trend.

Hedwig
Ethyl
Gladys
Bessie

Not saying I hate these. They just aren't popular these days.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Claire. This is my middle name and I used to hate it so much. My older brothers, who would stop at nothing to tease me, would always tell me "Claire is a fat girl's name". I think that line comes from an 80's movie. It stuck with me ever since and I've always hated it. I see it more and more though, along with the name Clara. I've learned to like it more. Brothers can be so mean. :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results