color
clarity

Baby names you hate

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1314288492|2999270 said:
Porridge|1314276031|2999091 said:
Yikes!

I also really dislike names that are spelled funny. I came across a Lynzi recently. Not too bad, relatively, but c'mon...having to say "that's Lynzi with a "z" and an "i" " every time??

I can't even count the number of times I've had to say "Allyson, with two Ls and a Y." And my name is fairly normal!
Ha, frustrating!! I have a very normal first name, and my surname is also common where I'm from, BUT there is one letter different to the common spelling! So I ALWAYS have to go "with an A instead of an E". Not such a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but definitely a mild nuisance ;))

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom's name is Mary Jo. People spell is Mary Joe. I've never in my entire life seen it spelled that way for a woman but whatever, I guess some people can't figure it out..so she started saying Mary Jo, no E. And she became Mary Joenoe. She went to "Jo"..and everyone spelled it Joe. I watched a woman once, when mom pointed and said "There's no E on the end" say "Oh, gotcha, Jo, no E" and wrote..Joenoe.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny, I am reading this and then go to my local paper and see the following:

"police used fingerprint records to positively identify the woman, Sgt. Lee Martin said late Thursday afternoon. She is Dixie J. Dix, 77, who has no permanent, legal address, Martin said."

Now that's a name!

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
This thread is cracking me up, and at the same time it's sad with some these names! I know someone with twins and named them Jazzlynn and Jesslynn. Really? I'm also really tired of all then ayden names. Brayden, cayden, jayden. My friend named her boy zayden which to me just sounds like you made that up because they were out of ayden type names.

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
My moms mother wanted her to name my brother (obviously if he was a girl) Bertha Edith. That really flows doesn't it? :lol:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dude, my Grampa wanted me to be named Hazel Dell. I have since used that name for 2 cats, but that's a huge story in my family, Hazel Dell..I can't even fathom it. Ole Bertha Edith and Hazel Dell out having some coffee..wow.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom wanted to name me Fritzy Rae. My dad said she could name her daughter Fritzy Rae, as long as she found a different father for the kid. :cheeky:
Personally, I would love to be named Fritzy, I could rock that name. (I don't care much for the middle name Rae.)

(My mother is German, and her father, Fritz, died three years before I was born, so it isn't like she pulled the name out of thin air. Still, it is a bit goofy.)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
April20|1314198465|2998225 said:
I'm living in an area where I'm hearing A LT of interesting names. The list as of late:

Sonnyboy (yes, one word)
Nurse
Happiness
Patience

There were some other crazy ones but they escape me at present.

I do know a little girl back home named Dallas. She's cute as a button and while i don't love the name, I don't hate It because of her.

"Patience" is an old English name and one I have always liked, although I would be very wary about bestowing it upon a daughter in 2011. Unfortunately.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend in England recently e-mailed me that she had a new great-grandaughter who had been named, "Delilah". She said that she didn't care for the name, but that no one had asked her. I wanted to ask Pandora if that was a name that was in fashion in England currently. This woman (who is actually the mother of one of my contemporaries) is in her 80's. She named her own daughters: Ruth, Deborah, and Sara. They all had children (her grandchildren); I don't know what they were named. Now the newest generation starts with a "Delilah".

Deb/AGBF

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Old names are really popular, at least in my circle (Texas). One of my best friends names her daughter Delilah, and another aquaintance named hers Hazel. Abigail is super popular now. All names I would have hated 8-10 years ago but now they are growing on me.

I was at the post office today and saw the cutest little baby in line behind me. I asked his mom what his name was....Barack!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lanie|1315449715|3012284 said:
Old names are really popular, at least in my circle (Texas). One of my best friends names her daughter Delilah, and another aquaintance named hers Hazel. Abigail is super popular now. All names I would have hated 8-10 years ago but now they are growing on me.

I have been struck by the same thing many times, Lanie. I will think of a certain name as one that no one would ever consider, and suddenly it is wildly popular!

I got interested in the history of the name, "Delilah", its popularity, after asking for Pandora's opinion above, and did a little research on the 'net. The Social Security Admininistration has a website that tracks the top 1,000 most popular names for males and females (in the US) after 1879. I looked at the popularity of, "Delilah" for the past 70 years. In the past maybe five years it has become far more popular that it used to be. Another website gave some insight into the possible reason for this: the hit song, "Hey There Delilah" by The Plain White T's. Before that song, everyone associated the name, "Delilah" with a song by Tom Jones.

Deb/AGBF

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1315442339|3012170 said:
My mom wanted to name me Fritzy Rae. My dad said she could name her daughter Fritzy Rae, as long as she found a different father for the kid. :cheeky:
Personally, I would love to be named Fritzy, I could rock that name. (I don't care much for the middle name Rae.)

(My mother is German, and her father, Fritz, died three years before I was born, so it isn't like she pulled the name out of thin air. Still, it is a bit goofy.)

Hahaha ohh that's so cute! Fritzy Rae can hang out with Bertha Edith and Hazel Dell at the local coffee shop. Fritzy..that just makes me smile.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF said:
Lanie|1315449715|3012284 said:

I have been struck by the same thing many times, Lanie. I will think of a certain name as one that no one would ever consider, and suddenly it is wildly popular!

I got interested in the history of the name, "Delilah", its popularity, after asking for Pandora's opinion above, and did a little research on the 'net. The Social Security Admininistration has a website that tracks the top 1,000 most popular names for males and females (in the US) after 1879. I looked at the popularity of, "Delilah" for the past 70 years. In the past maybe five years it has become far more popular that it used to be. Another website gave some insight into the possible reason for this: the hit song, "Hey There Delilah" by The Plain White T's. Before that song, everyone associated the name, "Delilah" with a song by Tom Jones.

Deb/AGBF

I always just associated it with the biblical Delilah (as in Sampson and Delilah). I'm not particularly religious, but I personally couldn't name my kid anything that reminds me of a biblical character who betrayed her loved one for money. This actually makes me sad, as I think it's a pretty name, if I just listen to the sound of it, but I just can't dissociate it from that story in my mind.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Delilah is fairly popular here. Currently place 451 with 93 babies named Delilah in 2010 down from 434 and 96 babies in 2009.

It was one I liked and DH vetoed, mainly because of the Tom Jones song 'Delilah' as the poor kid would just have everyone singing 'my, my, my Delilah, why, why, why, Delilah' all the time.

Regarding biblical, I was at the theatre last year and there was a very well-spoken family there whose daughter was called 'Jezebel'!

Hazel is pretty popular in the UK - place 398.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1315491837|3012677 said:
Delilah is fairly popular here. Currently place 451 with 93 babies named Delilah in 2010 down from 434 and 96 babies in 2009.

It was one I liked and DH vetoed, mainly because of the Tom Jones song 'Delilah' as the poor kid would just have everyone singing 'my, my, my Delilah, why, why, why, Delilah' all the time.

Regarding biblical, I was at the theatre last year and there was a very well-spoken family there whose daughter was called 'Jezebel'!

Thanks for the info. on the popularity of the name, Pandora. As for fears about naming one's child, "Delilah".... The thing is that if a name becomes popular enough, people probably don't have the energy to do that to every person who bears the name! And in the case of the name, "Delilah" chances are that people will be singing , "Hey there, Delilah" to the girls with the name if they sing anything, because they won't have heard of Tom Jones!

Deb/AGBF

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1315500530|3012787 said:
Pandora|1315491837|3012677 said:

Thanks for the info. on the popularity of the name, Pandora. As for fears about naming one's child, "Delilah".... The thing is that if a name becomes popular enough, people probably don't have the energy to do that to every person who bears the name! And in the case of the name, "Delilah" chances are that people will be singing , "Hey there, Delilah" to the girls with the name if they sing anything, because they won't have heard of Tom Jones!
Deb/AGBF

No chance of that in the UK - Tom Jones is still big here. I've never even heard of the other song or the people who sing it I'm afraid. Even teenagers know Tom Jones over here.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1315514279|3012944 said:
No chance of that in the UK - Tom Jones is still big here. I've never even heard of the other song or the people who sing it I'm afraid. Even teenagers know Tom Jones over here.

:twirl:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have Gertrude or Gladys made a come back? I have not heard people name their kids either of those but I am curious. I had an Aunt Gladys.

I like the name MaryAnn!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Nope!

Although I did know a Gertrude - she was always called Gertie. She had the advantage of being stunningly beautiful which somehow makes it easier to carry off names that might be seen as a bit old and dusty (Mildred, Ethel etc)

Millicent has come back in a big way - because Milly is so popular. Parents are calling their daughters Milly, but having Millicent on the birth certificate so it looks less like they've chosen a nick-name as a first-name.

I've also come across a few Esmeraldas recently - often shortened to Esme. I went to school with an Esmeralda who looked like a very glamorous witch, and so I always think of it as a rather dark, exotic and lovely name. Odd how you associate names with people so closely.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1315522604|3013044 said:
I've also come across a few Esmeraldas recently - often shortened to Esme. I went to school with an Esmeralda who looked like a very glamorous witch, and so I always think of it as a rather dark, exotic and lovely name.

My daughter (just turned 19) has a friend her age who is married with two children. Their names are Randall and Esmeralda.

AGBF

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
Munchkin|1310259165|2965731 said:
Well, I guess my son won't be going to Oxford, because his name is Burke! It was my maiden name. I had NO idea there was any sort of insulting connotation associated with it.

I didn't know about the negative connotation either! Guess I don't want to go to the UK anytime soon! I'm guessing it's due to the Irish ethnicity of it? That's my maiden name too! We considered it for ds #1 and it's actually his middle name and I love that!

I also can't stand when people name kids something and it's phonetically incorrect but instead spelling it that way to try and be unique. :rolleyes:

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Beesha, that is a pet hate of mine also! I know a boy whose name was Jamie, his parents spelt it with 2 m's to make it 'different' so it's Jammie. And a girl who was named Zoe, was spelt zowie. I always want to pronounce it like zowie has an owie!

I have aunties named Eva, Betsy, Jenny, Peggy, Ruby, Rhonda and ?? Oops I can't remember the last one. Anyway, I noticed that Eva and ruby were in the top 100 girls names last year in Australia. It's amazing how names come the full circle.

I'm predicting an increase of popular (what I consider) 80's names like Dylan, Stephanie and Nathasha to make a comeback after the classic name trend dies down.

My mums side of the family is Dutch so I'm used to unusual names. My mums name is Cornelia, my aunties are hendrika and meisje, and I have an uncle fritz... All great names in their own right but I could never pass them on to my children.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
beesha77|1315549619|3013394 said:
Munchkin|1310259165|2965731 said:
Well, I guess my son won't be going to Oxford, because his name is Burke! It was my maiden name. I had NO idea there was any sort of insulting connotation associated with it.

I didn't know about the negative connotation either! Guess I don't want to go to the UK anytime soon! I'm guessing it's due to the Irish ethnicity of it? That's my maiden name too! We considered it for ds #1 and it's actually his middle name and I love that!

I also can't stand when people name kids something and it's phonetically incorrect but instead spelling it that way to try and be unique. :rolleyes:

Nope, nothing to do with Ireland at all.

The origin is from Cockney Rhyming Slang and has evolved since then - which you may be relieved to hear! The original phrase was talking about the 'Berkeley Hunt' (a famous fox-hunt in Berkshire) as a way of saying the 'C' word. For example, people often say 'let's have a butcher's' meaning 'lets have a look' coming from 'Butcher's Hook' = 'look'.

It was then shortened to just being 'Berke' or more commonly 'Burke' and over time became slang for idiot rather than the original meaning.

HOT: My favourite book as a child was called 'Hendrika, The Cow Who Fell In The Canal'. :bigsmile:

missjae

Shiny_Rock
beesha77|1315375255|3011398 said:
This thread is cracking me up, and at the same time it's sad with some these names! I know someone with twins and named them Jazzlynn and Jesslynn. Really? I'm also really tired of all then ayden names. Brayden, cayden, jayden. My friend named her boy zayden which to me just sounds like you made that up because they were out of ayden type names.

I am an identical twin, our full names are Jacqueline and Jessalyn, our mother never allowed the nicknames "Jacquie and Jesse" (and we couldn't be more thankful to her for it) so we've always gone by Jaxon and Jae for short (Jaxon is short for Jacqueline, and Jae is short for Jessalyn even though the nickname Jae is commonly associated with the name Jacqueline instead, go figure!) and our brother is named Jaden (not a part of the awful and annoying fad his name became to be, he's an original Jaden and was the only Jaden for many years!)

I'm not crazy about my name being spelled without the "a" I think it's a very important part of the name. To pronounce the name without it seems lazy to me. Just like when people pronounce my sister's full name "Jack-lynn" completely pretending the "que" isn't there instead of saying it properly "Jack-kwuh-lynn" obviously not putting a huge emphasis on the que but pronouncing it none-the-less. If the name was spelled with out it such as "Jaclyn" or some sort of variation then I can understand it, but that isn't the case and if it was spelled differently that would be filed under lazy for me as well!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
missjae said:
Just like when people pronounce my sister's full name "Jack-lynn" completely pretending the "que" isn't there instead of saying it properly "Jack-kwuh-lynn" obviously not putting a huge emphasis on the que but pronouncing it none-the-less. If the name was spelled with out it such as "Jaclyn" or some sort of variation then I can understand it, but that isn't the case and if it was spelled differently that would be filed under lazy for me as well!

Wow, I've never heard anyone pronounce the "que" as "kwuh" before! In fact, the name is French and the pronounced "zhack-leen" in French. Two syllables. So the closest Anglicized pronunciation would be "Jack-leen" or "Jack-lynn." Most people where I live pronounce it "Jack-lynn," which is a fairly good approximation of the French. I have heard many people pronounce the name "Jack-uh-lynn" before, which is fairly natural because it is easier two pronounce those two consonants if you insert a short vowel sound between them. It's not right or wrong, just a different pronunciation. But I've never heard "Jack-kwuh-lynne" before. That's a pronunciation that would never even have occurred to me. I don't think anyone is being lazy in pronouncing your sister's name the way they do, they're just defaulting to the pronunciation they are familiar with. I don't think your sister's pronunciation is all that common, but I could be wrong. It may also be a regional variation I'm not familiar with. I find that fascinating.

EDIT: I did some googling and I'm actually finding quite a few hits for Jacqueline pronounced "Jack-kwuh-lynn" in the US. I guess it's more common than I had thought. Still, I'm in the NE of the US and I had never heard that before. Really interesting.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Ditto, I've never heard that pronunciation either.

Here in the UK, it's pronounced Jack-er-lynn, or Zsa-che-lan (a la francais)...

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
blacksand|1315600279|3013867 said:
missjae said:
EDIT: I did some googling and I'm actually finding quite a few hits for Jacqueline pronounced "Jack-kwuh-lynn" in the US. I guess it's more common than I had thought. Still, I'm in the NE of the US and I had never heard that before. Really interesting.

From the midwest, we has several Jack-kwuh-lynns in school.

Now in California, my daughter went to school with a Jack-kwuh-lynn.

It seems it's the only way I've heard it pronounced, as 3 syllables.

I believe Jacqueline Kennedy's name was always pronounced that way when spoken formally.

missjae

Shiny_Rock
swingirl|1315617282|3014113 said:
blacksand|1315600279|3013867 said:
missjae said:

From the midwest, we has several Jack-kwuh-lynns in school.

Now in California, my daughter went to school with a Jack-kwuh-lynn.

It seems it's the only way I've heard it pronounced, as 3 syllables.

I believe Jacqueline Kennedy's name was always pronounced that way when spoken formally.

We are Canadian and yes her name is pronounced exactly as Jacqueline Kennedy Onasis' name was/is. There isn't as much emphasis on the "kwuh" as it appears when spelling it phonetically it is actually very easy to say. I've only heard it pronounced "Jack-kwuh-lynn" and it always accompanies the name when spelled "Jacqueline" of course when being spelled Jaclyn, Jacklyn etc it wouldn't be there as the "que" makes the sound. If that makes sense. Even our french teachers growing up always pronounced the "kwuh". Of course France French and Quebecois French are very different even if they can be very much the same.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
I've only ever heard Jackie O's name pronounced Jack-uh-lynn or Jack-leen, but I can't say I've ever heard her personally say her own name. She never accepted my invitations, lol. Well, that's a whole new way to pronounce the name I just learned about, so thanks for teaching me.

So are you saying that in Quebecois French the letters "que" actually make a "kwuh" sound? That I've definitely never heard before. My friends from Montreal don't say it that way, but maybe other parts of Quebec do? I'm sorry if I'm coming of as argumentative; that's not my intention, I'm just genuinely curious. Linguistics is kind of my thing, I find this stuff fascinating.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results