Baby names you hate

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lanie|1311301715|2974264 said:
Brothers can be so mean. :cheeky:

Pissy Missi nods her head in agreement.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Ellery would have been our name if we were having a girl...Love it!

We are strongly considering naming our son an "-ayden" name - Hayden. I don't like the more made up versions too much like Jayden/Kayden but I do like Aidan/Aiden and Hayden since I think of them as "real" names. The only thing holding me back from committing to the name is that it is associated and hated along with the others, even though it's much less common! It's complicated by the fact that I don't know anyone with any of those names...

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I met a baby girl yesterday named Linen. Well, I couldn't decide if they had named her Lennon or Linen, but either way I thought it was odd.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Lanie|1311301715|2974264 said:
Re: Claire. This is my middle name and I used to hate it so much. My older brothers, who would stop at nothing to tease me, would always tell me "Claire is a fat girl's name". I think that line comes from an 80's movie. It stuck with me ever since and I've always hated it. I see it more and more though, along with the name Clara. I've learned to like it more. Brothers can be so mean. :cheeky:
I always loved the name Clara because that's the little girl in The Nutcracker, and SHE gets the prince!

Growing up I also like Claire because it sounded so French. (I studied ballet)

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Lanie, did you seriously just quote The Breakfast Club and call it "some 80's movie"?!?! :o ;)) Girl, you must be a young thing that missed the glory of the John Hughes 80's movies!!!!! Go rent it, stat. It's awesome. And yes, Judd Nelson says that to Molly Ringwald.

I love Claire and Clara.

Basil- I think Hayden is adorable. I think I mentioned the -ayden trends, but I wasn't saying I didn't like those names, I was pointing out that it's a trend right now. You should name your baby what YOU like and who cares? Trends come and go, and next year it will be something different. FWIW, I find Hayden to be a strong and classic male name and doesn't quite fit with the made up names in that trend. Same with Aidan like you mentioned.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
China -- HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I didn't know it was from that movie! I was born in 78, so not a young thing, but that's so funny. I've seen all of the other brat pack movies, but ironically enough, I've only seen parts of that one. I must rent it now!!!!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I don't hate any names really I just hate bogan spellings of names - when you take a name and give it a unique spelling to be different just a pet peeve of mine

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the only thing I dont like is the uni-sex names, I dont know why I guess I like my boy's names to be well boys names (gotta remember I am one of the older pricescopers lol) my boys names are Joshua Michael (everyone calls him Josh) and Zachary Austin (everyone calls him Zach) both were very popular names at the time (1985 & 1997) :wink2:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1311206423|2973413 said:
I think I can state with reasonable confidence that Olga, Irma and Bertha (my maternal great-gran, grandmother and paternal grandmothers, respectively) will not be back in the Top 10 anytime soon! ;))

Yeah? Well, when I was younger, "Emma" and "Emily" were laughed at absolutely as much as "Bertha"!!! Olga wouldn't have even been in the competition. In fact, there was a popular Russian gymnast named Olga who would have made anyone think the name was at least acceptable!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like really classic and/or biblical names. My son is Luke (not Lucas) and even though it's fairly popular, my DH and I picked it because it's biblical and we really love it. DH thinks it sounds strong.

One newer girls name I strongly dislike is Cailyn. Not Caitlyn, but Cailyn. I feel like it's a made up name. Not to mention, a girl with this name will constantly be correcting people that there is no 't' when they just assume it's Caitlyn.

I also don't like Mckenzie, McKenna, or any of those variations. There was a woman who was a contestant on a reality TV show and her name was McCarten. I thought that was awful.

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
About three months ago a cousin of mine had her second beautiful baby girl, they named her Aynslie Nycholle, I do like Aynslie..but...Nycholle makes me cringe and my heart goes out to the poor child. Their other daughter is named Blayre Emmalie (as in, Emily). To each their own I suppose. I've never really liked my own name - Rosalva, mouthful ain't it? It's been a pain all throughout school, teachers would always pause at it and I'd just say, "Rosie, just Rosie" then they'd ask how to pronounce my real name correctly...I've gotten Rosalie, Rosalind, Rose, Rosario, Roselia, Rosala, Rosavala, Roslava....and goodness knows what else. :nono:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
OK, I think I'm changing my mind on unusual spellings. After seeing some of these examples, I'm starting to dislike them!

I still wish I was named Jennifyr though. A well-placed y can be cool. Right...right? :cheeky:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
The only names I hate are the celebrity baby names, such as:

Pilot Inspektor (jason lee)
Kyd (David Duchovny and Tea Leoni)
Prince Michael II (Michael Jackson)

I know there are others, but those are unfortunately burned into my mind.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jstarfireb|1312351130|2982902 said:
OK, I think I'm changing my mind on unusual spellings. After seeing some of these examples, I'm starting to dislike them!

I still wish I was named Jennifyr though. A well-placed y can be cool. Right...right? :cheeky:

I think so Jstarfireb! I have a cousin named Caryn (Karen) and I think that's such a pretty way to spell it - and it's interesting, because my cousin was born in 1950, and you'd think it would be spelled the traditional way.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Verdy|1312349051|2982883 said:
About three months ago a cousin of mine had her second beautiful baby girl, they named her Aynslie Nycholle, I do like Aynslie..but...Nycholle makes me cringe and my heart goes out to the poor child. Their other daughter is named Blayre Emmalie (as in, Emily). To each their own I suppose. I've never really liked my own name - Rosalva, mouthful ain't it? It's been a pain all throughout school, teachers would always pause at it and I'd just say, "Rosie, just Rosie" then they'd ask how to pronounce my real name correctly...I've gotten Rosalie, Rosalind, Rose, Rosario, Roselia, Rosala, Rosavala, Roslava....and goodness knows what else. :nono:

I always thought Aynslie was a boy's name - or at least there's a famous chef on TV in the UK who is male and called Aynslie...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Aynslie is pretty. Someone in town here named their girl Tensley and I like that a lot.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
This thread is both hilarious and very informative, our daughter is called Neve and our son is called Henry however despite the similarities I do really dislike the name Nevaeh - I always think it sounds like the kind of name you would have made up for yourself when you were 15.

In an odd way I sort of understand the trend for calling children after Presidents, we have been naming children after past kings and queens for years and I guess its the same thing really. For me, name choosing is one of the best parts of being pregnant and I spent hours and hours deliberating over names. Although my husband and I are only at the stage of deciding wether or not to have a third child we are pretty sure it will be a Ben or Tabitha if we do, I am completely alright with people not liking my name choices - wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same names?

At the park a couple of days ago there was a little girl called Trinity - not an easy name to have as an adult! and a very small boy called Alan - I thought the solemnity of his name made Alan very sweet. I am also the proud owner of a niece and nephew called George and Cluny!

Also, Kate Hudson has just called her baby Bing despite the fact that the baby's fathers surname is Bellamy - Bing Bellamy!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
A friend of a friend just named his son Mycroft Tiberius. While I appreciate Sherlock Holmes references, that poor child has to live with that name! Another friend of mine has a new nephew named Maximus. Max is a cute name, and I'm okay with Maximilian or even Maxwell, but Maximus? Are you a gladiator or a Transformer? Same friend has a nephew named Max Power, which I find kind of hilarious. The kid lives up to that name, though, trust me!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
blacksand|1312496386|2984366 said:
A friend of a friend just named his son Mycroft Tiberius. While I appreciate Sherlock Holmes references, that poor child has to live with that name! Another friend of mine has a new nephew named Maximus. Max is a cute name, and I'm okay with Maximilian or even Maxwell, but Maximus? Are you a gladiator or a Transformer? Same friend has a nephew named Max Power, which I find kind of hilarious. The kid lives up to that name, though, trust me!

Ha, when I read Maximus I thought it sounded familiar but couldn't place it. Maximus Prime, of course!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1312499880|2984394 said:

Ha, when I read Maximus I thought it sounded familiar but couldn't place it. Maximus Prime, of course!

Optimus Prime? Leader of the Autobots?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1312500503|2984399 said:
amc80|1312499880|2984394 said:

Optimus Prime? Leader of the Autobots?

Hahaha yeah. See, turns out I don't know about the transformers. I only remember the song from commercials in the mid-80s. I was way too busy with my Cabbage Patch Kids and My Little Ponies.

Speaking of, you know how you could "adopt" your cabbage patch kid and change its name (how did they come up with those horrible names?)? I adopted one of mine and named it Tiffany Lynn. Can you get any more 80s than that?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a younger brother and the only way we could agree to play together was "My Little Pony Meets the Insecticons" or "Autobots V Jem" type things so I was sooo into Transformers, watched the cartoon religiously!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
I kept all my Cabbage Patch Kids' names exactly as they were listed on their "birth certificates." I was a purist or something, at five years old. I remember saying to my mom "who am I to change the name of a baby I just adopted? It's not my place." And my mom would roll her eyes, because the names were just so horrible. I know I had one named Eveline Keely and another name Charissa Adelaide. I assume Charissa was supposed to be pronounced "Karissa," which could actually have been kind of nice, but I pronounced it "Charissa" is in cha-cha or ch-ch-ch-chia, because I was 6. But I faithfully called them whatever name was on the birth certificate throughout my childhood.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
blacksand|1312578558|2985020 said:
I kept all my Cabbage Patch Kids' names exactly as they were listed on their "birth certificates." I was a purist or something, at five years old. I remember saying to my mom "who am I to change the name of a baby I just adopted? It's not my place." And my mom would roll her eyes, because the names were just so horrible. I know I had one named Eveline Keely and another name Charissa Adelaide. I assume Charissa was supposed to be pronounced "Karissa," which could actually have been kind of nice, but I pronounced it "Charissa" is in cha-cha or ch-ch-ch-chia, because I was 6. But I faithfully called them whatever name was on the birth certificate throughout my childhood.

I was faithful with my Cabbage Patches as well! Nicolette Pamela and Elizabeth Claudia were with me until the end.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
blacksand|1312578558|2985020 said:
Hey, I had Louisa Keely! My childhood dreams are crushed....I thought Keely was my Cabbage Patch baby's unique name. :cheeky:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still have my first, Brett Michael, in a cabinet in our bedroom made specifically for my favorite things. His "sister" Corinne Dollly was also special but not *as* special so my kids play w/her now. They were the..I don't remember, the middle size I guess, w/the tuft of hair on top, not the ones w/the full head of hair and not the preemie. (Dylan Ryan is my preemie and I have a full head of hair one but I forget her name) Loved my CPK's. I loved their names too. London has one our neighbor gave her one year for Christmas, and it shares her birthday so I thought that was cute.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cabbage patch kids!!! i loved mine, and kept her name too. Her name was Farliegh Gilberta :tongue:

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Brett Michael for a CPK????? Did she have long blonde hair and a bandana and totally rock?

These CPK names are hilarious! I would love to have been on the marketing team that came up with them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results