shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby names you hate

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lanie|1312652194|2985486 said:
Brett Michael for a CPK????? Did she have long blonde hair and a bandana and totally rock?

These CPK names are hilarious! I would love to have been on the marketing team that came up with them!

HA! Nope, he had a little blue and white knicker outfit and hat. I thought his name was sooo cute..and then years later realized my mom must've been psychic b/c my walls were plastered w/the "love of my life" Bret Michaels!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
OMG--Yes, I had Franny Frances (who in retrospect I think was supposed to be bi-racial or something, she had short light brown hair, light brown skin, and green eyes). I loved her so much, but hated her name, tried to change it to Mary but I couldn't, but she was and always will be Franny Frances.

My SIL's was named Evan Rhett (but in her 6 year old mind that first name was E-Van and that's how she still pronounces it as an adult:)

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I strongly dislike names that I can't pronounce when I see them written, or names that sound like "kisha" or "mika" were just tacked on to the end of the name to make them sound different.

When I named our kids, it was important to me that their names actually meant something. My first is William Awstin, and no that is not a play on the name "Austen." Awstin is Welsh and means "worthy of honor." The William part was in honor of my greatest love, who is not his biological father and we were not involved at that time, but my son was born 5 weeks early on Bill's birthday. It wasn't until my son was 15 months old that we started dating again, and it had been 8 years since we had last seen each other.

We always knew when we got married that if we had a daughter, her name would be Kimberly Alexandria. Hubby picked that name out when he was 12, because he had a best friend with the name.

William David is a "III".

Ruby Rose...well, Kimberly means "diamond," and my daughters are my precious gems so the names fit. Rose is after hubby's maternal Great-Grandmother. I was torn between Rose and Faye, after my grandmother, but we're not from the south. ;-)

In order to keep everyone straight in the house, Daddy is "Bill," W. Awstin is "Awstin," WDSIII is "Billy."

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Winks, you have two kids named William? Or am I misreading?

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness Winks...I had to read your post like eleven times to get it straight! :cheeky:

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
MonkeyPie|1313024351|2988227 said:
Winks, you have two kids named William? Or am I misreading?

Yes. Hence the confusion!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Winks_Elf|1312983391|2987863 said:
In order to keep everyone straight in the house, Daddy is "Bill," W. Awstin is "Awstin," WDSIII is "Billy."

See, I don't think I could do this to my kids. A middle name being used like a first name is pretty common - both my mom and dad prefer to go by their middle names - but having two kids with the SAME name would be more likely to make at least one resentful for not having a personal identity.

I went to school with a group of four boys, each a year apart. (Their mom must be crazy! Wow!) They were all named Henry. Henry, Henry Jr, Henry III, Henry IV. NONE of them went by Henry, and if someone called them that, they got downright hostile about it. They all went by nicknames because they didn't have middle names. The amount of resentment there was crazy. I would never do this.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
It's a great way to instill a sense of unity!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who always texts me when she comes across an interesting (mainly bad) name. Last night she texted me while picking up a rental car, and there was a toddler named Atley running around. I read the text to my fiance and he actually likes the name. Apparently it was a character from Gone in 60 Seconds. Luckily we already have a pretty solid list of boy names, because there's no way I'd use Atley. It's the sort of name I don't mind, as long as it is use for someone else's kid.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MonkeyPie|1313031988|2988310 said:
Winks_Elf|1312983391|2987863 said:

See, I don't think I could do this to my kids. A middle name being used like a first name is pretty common - both my mom and dad prefer to go by their middle names - but having two kids with the SAME name would be more likely to make at least one resentful for not having a personal identity.

I went to school with a group of four boys, each a year apart. (Their mom must be crazy! Wow!) They were all named Henry. Henry, Henry Jr, Henry III, Henry IV. NONE of them went by Henry, and if someone called them that, they got downright hostile about it. They all went by nicknames because they didn't have middle names. The amount of resentment there was crazy. I would never do this.

I have a friend whose given name is Kevin Samuel. His mother died when he was a child. His father remarried shortly after and his stepmother had a son who was also named Kevin. So, they made Kevin go by his middle name from that point forward! How awful! If I recall correctly, he was about 5 or 6.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Just drove by a car that had a my kid plays sports type sticker on it. The name was spelled:

"TAYLRE". :-o

amc80

Ideal_Rock
ChinaCat|1313525360|2992079 said:
Just drove by a car that had a my kid plays sports type sticker on it. The name was spelled:

"TAYLRE". :-o

That's just mean!

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
I don't hate names but trully dislike Dallas & Cutter [my carpool] :o

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Ninna|1313528705|2992118 said:

boy or girl??

and...cutter???

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhh see now I really like Cutter! A past coworker had 3 boys and they all have an -er name. The youngest is Cutter (well, he's graduated now so he's not young anymore!) and I just adore his name! JD wouldn't go for it tho, when I was pg w/Trapper-apparently a 15 year age difference between the boys and being in the same town was too close.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Well, it annoys me that my last name is now a trendy girl's first name (a la Mackenzie) despite it being very unfeminine sounding (lots of hard consonants).

I also dislike names where the name is misspelled due to ignorance, not to be cutesy. One of my best friends has one of those names- her mom accidentally put an A where an E should be, and that was probably because she was 13 at the time :rolleyes: However, just to make it weirder, my friend who has the misspelled name, misspelled her own daughter's name for the same reason (sheer ignorance). She wanted to name her after Amelia Earhart and accidentally spelled it Amilia- it took her like 6 months to notice the mistake too. Ooops.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Oh! I got it. Worst girls' name I ever heard, which belongs to a wife of one of my husband's friends: Perfection. Perf for short. Which, of course, when spoken, sounds unfortunately like "perv". Perf did have an excuse for her unfortunate name- her father was a local cult leader named Love Israel, and (one of her many, many) brothers is named Clean (as in- "not dirty", I asked him).

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I met a girl yesterday named Natuhlie. Ick.

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LGK|1313564287|2992457 said:
Oh! I got it. Worst girls' name I ever heard, which belongs to a wife of one of my husband's friends: Perfection. Perf for short. Which, of course, when spoken, sounds unfortunately like "perv". Perf did have an excuse for her unfortunate name- her father was a local cult leader named Love Israel, and (one of her many, many) brothers is named Clean (as in- "not dirty", I asked him).

Wow! :lol: :lol:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OUpeargirl|1313598699|2992642 said:
I met a girl yesterday named Natuhlie. Ick.

Oh dear. Unusual spellings in general don't bother me, but that spelling actually looks unattractive. There's a big "uh" smack in the middle!

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
slg47|1313545831|2992319 said:
Ninna|1313528705|2992118 said:

boy or girl??

and...cutter???

Dallas-Girl
Cutter-Boy
It would not be so bad if they had a non-building material as a last name IMO.

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Bear, Cat, Fox and any bird like Kizzy/Kiziah 8)

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Just came across this and had to share-

Lantz...as in Lance.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I'm living in an area where I'm hearing A LT of interesting names. The list as of late:

Sonnyboy (yes, one word)
Nurse
Happiness
Patience

There were some other crazy ones but they escape me at present.

I do know a little girl back home named Dallas. She's cute as a button and while i don't love the name, I don't hate It because of her. :)

amc80

Ideal_Rock
April20|1314198465|2998225 said:
I'm living in an area where I'm hearing A LT of interesting names. The list as of late:

Sonnyboy (yes, one word)
Nurse
Happiness
Patience

There were some other crazy ones but they escape me at present.

I do know a little girl back home named Dallas. She's cute as a button and while i don't love the name, I don't hate It because of her. :)

I grew up with a girl name Dallas. Never struck me as weird, but I guess it is. Also went to soccer camp with a girl named Princess.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I remembered one of the other names I've heard.

Comfort

I am really curious as to how these parents chose these names. Something tells me it's a cultural thing.

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My friend was a teacher for a short while and told me that there were 2 sisters in the school, 1 year apart, and their names were Gentle and Touches. Really????

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Yikes!

I also really dislike names that are spelled funny. I came across a Lynzi recently. Not too bad, relatively, but c'mon...having to say "that's Lynzi with a "z" and an "i" " every time??

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
On the subject of REALLY REALLY bad names.....I worked in a Children's Psych hospital and one of the patients was named Meconium (as in the poop that an infant expells while he is in his mothers stomach during labor). The mom must have heard a nurse mention that the baby had Meconium and thought "wow, now thats a name I like" :shock: :???: :lol:

While laughing with my coworkers about this name, one of the nurses INSISTED that while working in an ED in the Philadelphia area she had a patient named Chlamydia and another named Gonorrhea (The spellings were slightly different but pronounced like the STD's).......She is not the kind of person to make things up so I am inclined to believe it. Can you imagine?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Porridge|1314276031|2999091 said:
Yikes!

I also really dislike names that are spelled funny. I came across a Lynzi recently. Not too bad, relatively, but c'mon...having to say "that's Lynzi with a "z" and an "i" " every time??

I can't even count the number of times I've had to say "Allyson, with two Ls and a Y." And my name is fairly normal!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results