shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby names you hate

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Where I live my name is incredibly popular for women my age but because everyone spells it differently I am still subjected to the dreaded spelling it out.

I have always insisted that if I ever have children I would give them names that are easy to spell.

I hate anything with a 'unique' spelling. I also intensely dislike anything too trendy.

I absolutely love Sarah and Jane but would probably name my first daughter Anne. It's part of my name, it was my mother's second name and my greatgrandmother's name... And there's already a box filled with gold jewellery engraved with 'Anne'!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Packie: I just want you to know, I love your kids names. They are unique, but not wacko.

A woman I work with named her daughter Karsyn. At first I was kind of like, "Huh?"- but now I really like it. Im sure it gets looks, and she will have to spell it out her whole life, but I like it even if it goes against my norm ;-)

We want to name our daughter Aubrey, which is the traditional way of spelling it, and it frustrates me that she is going to have to explain how to spell it since people have gone off and started with Aubrie, Aubree, Aubry...now hers is going to be the "weired" way when actually, its normal!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Charbs! London and Trapper fit them so well..if we had another boy we would name him Trader. Another girl would be Svea. No more kids coming, so I'm going to condition the kids to use those names for their kids hahaha.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Add me to the list of Neveah haters :lol: That name (if you can even call it that) makes me roll my eyes > like this :rolleyes:

I do not like names that are unusually spelled or not clearly male or female. I also do not like names that appear to be completely made up - obviously excluding ethnic names, etc.

I have a James Emerson and Grace Elizabeth - both pretty normal, boring names. DH and I figured that our kids will have to get jobs when they're grown up so we better give them names that look normal (to most) and sound good when spoken out loud.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
nfowife|1310083508|2964247 said:
I like classic names with classic spellings. My kids are Allison, Ethan, and Lauren. I just like names that stand the test of time and aren't super trendy, kwim?
I am not a big fan of masculine or surname sounding names for girls. I have a friend who has a Hudson and Presley (both girls). Gag. Not my cup of tea at all, but I do love her girls so it doesn't cloud my feelings for them! Just wonder what the heck my friend was thinking.

I also don't like weird spellings. I don't think anyone should have to go through life saying "Allison with 1 L" or whatever. When I was in the hospital having my oldest there was a boy born across the hall and they had a sign on the door. It said "Welcome baby Kristafer" :shock: :shock: I felt so sorry for that little boy....

I LOVE your kids' names, but thought you might like to know that Allison actually used to be a last name (and still is, I guess).

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
stephb0lt|1310142833|2964739 said:
My personal tastes run toward the classic - Eleanor and William are favorites right now.

That is so funny because I'm Eleanor and my brother is Willliam. I do love classic names as well. There is a girl in my DD's 4th grade class named Hunter. I really don't get that at all, for a boy yes a masculine strong name but a girl?? I guess it's edgy and all but her parents are very unassuming regular nice folks. I also have an acquaintance who has a girl named Jordan and a boy named Jaden, not a fan of that.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I don't "hate" it necessarily, but I know someone who named her baby "Talon" :shock: I don't get it. I hope that kid is really cool so he can pull it off. Otherwise he's the freak show kid named Talon.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Have you guys heard of Yolandi Visser and Ninja? Well, their daughter is named Sixteen.

How bizarre.

I also rather dislike names that end in 'i' when they should actually end in 'y'. I mean, naming a child Traci/ey or Staci/ey is tragic enough without resorting to faux originality.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Trekkie|1310202409|2965357 said:
Have you guys heard of Yolandi Visser and Ninja? Well, their daughter is named Sixteen.
Oh dear, some day Sixteen is going to be 50 and will want to change her name to Sue or Sally so she can be taken seriously!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
I don't hate any name in particular but I do hate nick names. If you're going to call your kid a nick name, like Kit or Chris, just name him that instead of giving him the full name Christopher. I think people should be called by their full proper names.

and also when people call their children by their middle names instead of their first name. DH is called by his middle name. I just don't understand that. I mean yes, his first name is the same as his dad's so I do understand why. I just find it silly. just make the dad's name the middle name.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
noelwr|1310223172|2965462 said:
and also when people call their children by their middle names instead of their first name. DH is called by his middle name. I just don't understand that. I mean yes, his first name is the same as his dad's so I do understand why. I just find it silly. just make the dad's name the middle name.
My SIL does this! Her first 4 children are called by their middle names, intentionally. The only one I understand is the oldest, because he's named after my brother, and the 3rd shares SIL's name, but still. She won't do it with her youngest because her middle name is Elizabeth (at my bro's request) and then she'd have to share her name with me! So the first four? Called their middle names. The baby? First name. I don't get it.

Name choice is fascinating. I keep second guessing our girl's name because I want it to be something she won't think is stupid in 25 years.

AMC, I also had the "popular girl's first name as a surname" and got the "No, I need your LAST name..." ALL OF THE TIME. Not to mention the spelling problems that came with it. I was absolutely delighted to change my name!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1310098149|2964423 said:
Hmmm...well I don't like names that are super popular. And I don't like my own name...Elizabeth. My mom did NOT want me to be known as Liz...and I am. And I did not enjoy going through life as "Elizabet" on standardized tests.

Right now we are considering a off kilter spelling of a classic old-fashioned name for a girl (if we have a girl that is) but not to be cool or make her stand out from the crowd or anything--the spelling involves the last three letters of my mom's name and the last three letters of my husband's mom's name. We thought it was a nice tribute without singling one out from the other.

LOL. I went through life as Kimber on everything and nobody could ever pronounce my last name :cheeky: The worst was when we would line up for going places. To be fair it would switch back and forth from the A's being first to the Z's being first. I was always smack dab in the middle ;( My full name is Kimberlee, which I have actually come to love. My least favorite names are due to associations with other people and not necessarily the name itself. These include Jill, Mari, Jillian, Ryan, and Nicole. My favorite girl name has always been Alix (if I ever get a girl puppy that will be her name :bigsmile: ) and Milo for a boy (which I named my little boy Min Pin. He's my "baby").

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I don't hate any name in particular but I do hate nick names. If you're going to call your kid a nick name, like Kit or Chris, just name him that instead of giving him the full name Christopher. I think people should be called by their full proper names.

I feel the exact opposite! I love names that have a nickname - it's nice to have a name that feels more professional/formal and a more casual version your friends and family tend to use. Of course, I know a few people who get burned by this, I work with a Kathryn who prefers Kate over Kathy, and a James who never goes by Jim, but both are constantly correcting others.

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I guess my son won't be going to Oxford, because his name is Burke! It was my maiden name. I had NO idea there was any sort of insulting connotation associated with it.

Nevaeh is tops on my dislike list. I have a few patients named this, and now they're trying to get creative with the spelling. I also have patients with the name Xavior spelled a kazillion ways. Seriously, X-avior, Xzayvier, Xayvior, etc. I have a new patient named Eean. I'm not a fan of Aiden/Brayden/Jaiden/Caden just because I have a negative association with many of the moms that chose those names. Before that, I thought the names themselves sounded fine.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somehow we got off the topic of names we hate to names we gave our children! Let me start there. I had always wanted to name a daughter, "Katrina". All my life. I don't know why. There were no "Katrina"s around. The German ice skater was not yet born. My husband is Italian and wanted to be very, very British/American. He said I couldn't name our daughter any name with an Italian equivalent. So we eventually settled on, "Whitney", which has no Italian equivalent since it doesn't come from Latin. It has Anglo-Saxon origins and means, "from a white island".

My favorite boy's name is Charles, which is what PennQuaker just named his son (Charles Preston). I also like Robert, the name of both my uncle and my husband's father (who was actually, "Roberto", though). If we had had a son, I would have fought hard for the name, "Charles"!

There are many names I hate, but it is too late to try to think of them. Maybe tomorrow!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Nevaeh :knockout:

I don't hate many specific names, just the crazy spelling trend. Why?!

My name is a surname as a first name :)) That's okay because I certainly didn't have any say in the matter! ;)). It's mind boggling the number of people who would call me by my last name (even though it sounds nothing like a first name!!) just because they're so familiar with my name as a last name. It was like they couldn't reconcile it in their head so they just picked one!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh, I have massive issues w/nicknames too. Huge. Says Missi with an "i" not a "y" who really is Melissa and is married to JD short for his first and middle names. I had to sign all my work Missi J. I forgot about that..too many Missi/Missy's..Anyway the nickname thing..when I was pg w/my kids, every time we were asked name choices, we'd say, and they'd say "So what will you call him/her?" Um..yeah, hi? How about by their name? So then we got irritated and started messing around "We're naming him Charles" "What will you call him?" "Andy". One of my friends has 3 kids and each of them go by their shortened first name, and I call them by their full first name. If kids start calling Trapper, TJ (Trapper James) I'm going to have heart failure. I don't think London can be shortened and that's one of the reasons I like it. My brother has a nickname and I call him that-but it has nothing to do w/his name.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I had to join this thread. I'm Lori Jane. Lori is a classic American name of the early 1960's. I was born in 1962. No problem, except for the spelling issues that I CONTINUE TO HAVE TO THIS DAY. It is such a PITA to have to spell my name to just about everyone unless I've written it down for them to see. Oh, and then there is the pronunciation of my name....it is Lori with an O....not an A...and I get really frustrated being called "Laurie" all of the time.

Growing up, I couldn't stand my middle name, Jane, but now I love it and have actually thought about using it since most everyone can pronounce it correctly and the spelling isn't too hard, either.

Years ago, there was a Dear Abby letter from a teacher who was complaining about the horrible names that some of her young students had. One was named "Shithead" and the teacher had no idea how to pronounce it....Shi-theed...that is what the parents told the teacher. Can you imagine???

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Oh, DH and I do not have the luxury of having kids, but we had plans of naming our kids something easy to pronounce and spell if we had been able to have them. DH is Kenneth and goes by Ken.

We have nicknames for each other and I don't mind them. I grew up being called Sissy by my little brother. He had a hard time saying "Lori" and I was Sissy until I couldn't take it any longer at age 12. My natural father called me "Punkin" for many years. Mom called my brother and me "brat" and it was a term of affection until she passed away.

I love the names Sarah (my great grandmother's name) and William. Classic and easy to pronouce/spell.

Lori

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
Victoria and David welcome their new baby girl to the world - Harper Seven

I laughed out loud when I read that tonight considering both Harper and another number name had been mentioned in this thread. :D

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock

Oh! DH has Uncles that go my their middle names and it is so confusing! He has 13 (!) Aunts and Uncles on his mom's side alone. When we were dating I would tease him call him Billy (DH's middle name is William) because of it.

We call our son James all the time and never Jim or Jimmy; sometimes we call Grace Gracie. My name is Jennifer. I was born in 1982 so I was always in class with a few other Jennifers growing up. I went by Jenni ("Jenny with an i") until I got to college and then started going by Jennifer or Jen for professional reasons.

Does anyone have names that they associate with good things or bad things?

I dislike the name Chris/Christopher - bad relationship. I like the name Victoria, but that was Chris's mom's name (went by Vicky) but I could never use it because she was so horrible to me.

My sister and I also have a list of so-called "snob" names :lol:

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Trekkie|1310202409|2965357 said:

How bizarre.

I also rather dislike names that end in 'i' when they should actually end in 'y'. I mean, naming a child Traci/ey or Staci/ey is tragic enough without resorting to faux originality.

My first name is Magdalen, but I go by Maggi. My mother originally spelled it with a "y" but I had a teacher who FREAKED every time the loop in my cursive "y" touched the loop in the "gg" so I changed it to spite the teacher that I hated, haha!

I hate any female name ending in "-ene." It always makes me think of the country song with the lines, "In John Deere green on a hot summer night, he wrote 'Billy Bob loves Charlene' in letters three feet high." I CRINGE because that song is so awful! The irony is that two of my best friends are Darlene and Marlene, and my friend's mother is Carlene. I also have a number of names that I love but could never use living in the Southeast US because the average southerner would mutilate it, like Chloe (it'd get turned into something like Cloy around here). And I hate names with harsh vowel sounds that easily become nasal, like Maggi.

kiett98

Shiny_Rock
Pandora|1310147241|2964808 said:
Lanie|1310146530|2964794 said:
OK another one. I strongly dislike the name Kai. I don't think anyone here used that name, but it's HUGE on another mom forum I browse.

Don't! When I was pregnant and sitting in the antenatal clinic there were a load of teen-moms all discussing the names they had chosen: Kai, Kaiden, Cayden, Jordan, Kyle and London-Jay for the boys and the three having girls had picked Nevaeh (yes it's here too) and Reece and Rai.

I shuddered at them all....

Wow... never thought I would see my name make the list- :) . I do spell mine differently than how you have above (mine is spelled Kie), and I am female and I am 31 years old... so I never went to school with other people named "Kai" or "Kie". It is interesting how popular the name is now becoming.

As for me, I am over all the -aiden, -ayden, and -lee names.

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
A colleague named his daughter Harley. Hate it.
I just picture her at 17 on the back of a motorcycle with a 25 year old biker trying to live up to that name and I cringe! :devil:

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Guilty Pleasure|1310348838|2966187 said:

I laughed out loud when I read that tonight considering both Harper and another number name had been mentioned in this thread. :D

Oh Posh. That name is so in, it's out. :cheeky: I still side with my middle school bad-ass self and think it's a cute name, but not one I'd use.

ETA: There are a lot of preggos who are about to deliver that are probably reading all of this, and I hope that they would never NOT consider a name bc of what has been said on here.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Lanie|1310405502|2966569 said:
Guilty Pleasure|1310348838|2966187 said:

Oh Posh. That name is so in, it's out. :cheeky: I still side with my middle school bad-ass self and think it's a cute name, but not one I'd use.

ETA: There are a lot of preggos who are about to deliver that are probably reading all of this, and I hope that they would never NOT consider a name bc of what has been said on here.

You know what's really funny- this morning I was wondering what they would name their baby. Harper entered my mind and then I thought "no, that name is already becoming trendy...they are more of the trendsetting types." Apprently not.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
The friend of mine w/the three nickname kids has a relative, cousin or something who had a baby and named her Emerson. She called me and said "What kind of name is THAT?" Well heck, I think it's a cute name! "But what will they CALL her?" I figure Emmy, but I said "Um, Emerson?" And that's why I'd never use it, cute as I think it is, it can be shortened.

A woman I used to work w/has three boys and one is named Cutter. I wanted so badly to use that when we were picking names for our son but JD said no b/c even tho there would be like 15 years difference, he didn't want another Cutter in town. The other Trapper in town is my dad's age, and he had it legally changed to that name b/c that had been his nickname for so long everyone just knew him by that..but I guess 50+ years age difference is ok.

A woman one of my coworkers knows has the oddest names for her kids, and I'm all for different but they're just..*too* different for me. I can never remember them all..I think there's four kids and they're..Rock, Steel, Chain and..shoot I forget the girls name but it's like..Moondancer or something..Epiphany? Whatever, it's odd.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
I swear on the great book that one of my acquaintance's last name is Musick. His name is Rock. And his brother is Country. :rolleyes:

And I can't remember who said their name is Lori, but people pronounce it Laurie. I must be an idiot, bc I pronounce both of those the same way! Maybe Lori people say Lor-ie (the same lore sound as in folklore, rhymes with Thor) and Laurie is more like Law-ree?

And some of you may have heard this one...my friend told me he met a woman with this name, but since then, I've heard 2 other people say this story, so I think it's an urban legend. A lady's nametag said LaDynasty but people were pronouncing it Lady Nasty because it was in all caps.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm surprised to read that so many people have strong aversions to certain names.

I've never liked very popular names, myself, but I don't hate them. I just used to feel bad for all the kids who had to go by their first name and last initial all through school. There were so many Stacys, Jamies, Jasons, and Brians when I was growing up, and whenever a teacher called someone "Brian A." my heart just went out to him. I have no idea why, really. It's probably because I was always the only Lori around. I'm 30, so my name seems to be much more popular with women born about 20 years earlier. I love my name, though I do tend to dislike people around my age who share it with me. :devil:

As a teacher I've learned two things about first names:
- No matter how odd the name, I can never really judge whether I like it or not until I get to know its owner. (There have been so many times that I've seen a name on a roster and thought "Oh dear lord!" But then once I met the child I ended up loving the name.)
- One bad seed can really ruin my perception of a particular name FOREVER. I had a really difficult student named Andres, and now whenever I hear the name (which isn't much) the only thing I can do is cringe.

The one thing I don't love is when someone's name just plain doesn't fit him. My husband is named Howie and I can't explain it, but that name is just so not him. I had a childhood friend named Eugene and it was the same situation.

Lanie: I didn't make the first comment about the name Lori, but that's my name and it seems like east coasters mispronounce it more than anyone else. They say "LAW-ree" instead of "LORE-ee". Everyone almost always spells my name correctly, though. I think people associate the "Lori" spelling with my generation. (I was named after my German aunt Hannelore, hence the Lori spelling.)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
+1 against Neveah. Those poor girls...how will they ever get people to take them seriously? Every time I hear the name, I roll my eyes.

Other than that, I tend not to be a fan of the following:
-names that are too popular (my name is Jennifer, and I couldn't stand being one of several with the same name in all of my classes)
-trendy names (Presidents' last names for girls, for example)
-cutesy names
-punctuation that's pronounced ("La-a" as Ladasha, for example...yes, it's a real thing!)
-names that are completely made up or an amalgam of the parents' names

Interestingly enough, I do like unusual spellings of classic names, like a Y where an I normally is. I actually considered changing my name to Jennifyr a while ago to make it more unique.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results