shape
carat
color
clarity

AVC.....I think?

DukeFB04

Rough_Rock
Thanks in advance for help. I have a budget of about 27k - 30k and am looking to get a good quality combination for a solitaire engagement ring. With that said, I was hoping to see if you may be able to steer me in the right direction.

Personally, I like the look of an Emerald but I believe my gf prefers the sparkle of a cushion/round. I was thinking I could merge the best of both and go for the sparkle & broad flashes from an AVC. I haven't seen a AVR but I would think if I was going for a round I would want the most sparkle in a H&A cut because the reason why rounds are iconic.

Anyways,I am looking at AVC because of the quality of the cut. I am open to other cuts but don't know if I can discern as nice of a cut in a non-branded stone. I would like to get a near colorless F-H but am concerned H would start showing warmth. I ideally would like to have a spread of 8 - 8.25 to match her hand proportions (long and slender) but i think that would put me up in the 2.7ct range which is probably unrealistic at this budget. I want an eye-clean so I was looking at a VS2 or better.

I guess my question is should I go for less color or greater ct weight? Will I be able to see a color difference from a G to H? t seems as though these AVC's appear larger than competing cuts. To make it easier, what I am really asking is what combination of color/ct/clarity should I go for in my price range. Cut is most important to me so I don't want to compromise on that aspect. Thanks for the help.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly if I were you I would buy diamondseekers 2.21 AVR, it's in your budget and it's amazing!! The listing said she's pulled it but I know she'd part with it, I'll find it for you. I know it's not a cushion but its a great value sice it's a high colored stone and your missing the mark up from getting it from GOG directly. Brb with a link.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Many shoppers on this site contact Jonathon at GOG on Long Island for AVC's.
Best of luck

DukeFB04

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the links. I see that it is an I color which concerns me because I am not educated enough to know if that will show color in a real world setting. Also, I don't see a price but I am sure that is something I will have to PM them on. Do you remember the ballpark price?

I think I am still leaning towards AVC but if anyone who has seen an AVR in person can comment on the difference of the 2 it would be much appreciated.

I will add that it really does look amazing in the photos.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had you considered Victor camera?

He also does branded antique cushions. A handful of 2ct + ones in your budget h or above.

This one being elongated hits 8mm long. And you could afford him to make you a soli with it (reminds me a bit of an EC like you like)

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/8mcnxk-2.305-h-vs2-ideal-antique-cushion

If she prefers more square he has this one
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/0c1dph-2.211-h-vs1-ideal-antique-cushion

And as I know you're concerned about color, he even has this g in budget over 2ct

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ldcu0x-2.041-g-vs2-ideal-antique-cushion

DukeFB04

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for the vendor information. Are there any others out there aside from GOG and Canera? I really liked the elongated look. Still concerned H may show color. Does anyone have any input on if H in a mostly open platinum setting will show color? Thank you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
H will be very white. You are fine. I'd buy diamondseeker's I. She had it set in a platinum solitaire. Ask her for pictures. Diamonds refect light. Light has color. Look at links posted for you and you'll see what a disco ball her stone is. What is most important for your intended? Size? Color? What are her preferences?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you haven't already check out GOG videos on YouTube. Huge difference between AVR and AVC. It's a big decision. You sure you don't want to ask your intended? People may have definite opinions once both are viewed. For max sparkle, I would go for round esp for ering. Yes, definitely consider Canera European rounds too. Stunning stones.

If possible you should view IRL. But you tube videos help a lot.

Also think hard about color. It makes a huge difference to me. If you go for high color, you get more white silver light reflection (my opinion) and I find it harder to differentiate the facets visually. If you go lower, I find it easier to identify the facets as the reflect. That why seeing them in person, if that is possible for you would be very beneficial.

Ds's I will be very white. I have an F modern round and I found the "I" AVR almost to be very white, almost whiter. These stones have big facets so when they reflect light, it is Big flashes of light, white light in this case.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA I color. 3.3 on my hand under ugly fluorescent lighting. Sorry! This is not an AVR. ITS AN OEC. Old European cut. AVRS are precision cut oec style stones. Hope this doesn't confuse you.

_3687.jpeg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another pic in office lighting. Hope that helps.

_3688.jpeg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I recall diamondseekers wanted in the high 20's for her AVR. If you search her old threads you'll see AVR comparisons, she's a color sensitive person and was wondering if it's be to low but after having two sent to her in person decided on the I.

Honestly you can't go wrong with that stone, in any way shape or form. No one in your circle or hers will have anything like it, it a fire cracker and a show stopper and it makes almost all diamonds look like dogs in comparison. Not necessarly PS crowd but for sure the regular folks including the high end Cartier and tiffany pieces.

DukeFB04

Rough_Rock
First, WOW!! This is the most helpful group of individuals I have ever come across in a forum.

They are all very beautiful so choosing is becoming more difficult with the research I have done.

Whether it is round or cushion, I honestly want to get her the best combination in my budget but also want to make sure I don't undersize it or trivialize it by not having the characteristics of quality in the cut. I'm not trying to overly impress anyone on the size, I want this to truly be about us and something that is elegant and fitting for her. The size that I think will fit her best is between 2.5 - 2.8 but I don't want to go over a certain price.

The one thing I can say is that she is color sensitive. She can detect faint undertones in paint and dyes. However, I understand some people like the warmth of stones of all grades. To each their own, I just need to figure out if the I or H is too warm for her.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A H colour or under in these precision cut stones will be white facing, she should not be able to detect any tints. If she is highly colour sensitive stay away from much lower in colour than that.... A lot of people like old cuts in mid to lower colours, it's personal preference that is all.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so. When you say she can tell the shades in colors... is that compared to you?

I'm just asking because when I use words like Periwinkle my husband gets a furrowed brow. For him colors are: Blue, Brown, Black, Gray, White (not off white, not ecru, WHITE), Red ,Orange, Purple and Green.

Most women, I would say are more color "conscious" than most men. Not that there aren't exceptions to that rule. But you'll have to explain your comment a bit better if you are going to help us understand her. Just saying she sees 'shades' isn't really helpful. There is a reason I pick out all my husband's ties for him.

One my best friends is much more aware of shades and tones than I am. I wear an F stone. She wears a J. I would happily own a J. But we bought our stones before I really know anything about diamonds and we were very (too) conservative.

SEEING color doesn't make you color sensitive. No offense, but it just means your eyes work. BEING BOTHERED by the slight gradations of tint that you see in a stone is what makes you color sensitive.

But if you want to be super safe, stick to H VS2 or even a really clean Si1. Just know that you are talking slight shades of white. Both H and I are white. But it's like going to the paint store where there are thousands of shades of white. Some are colder (D_E-F stones) some (as LLJsmom explained) are warmer. But they are all WHITE. And the only way you can really tell which one is colder than another is to see them side by side. But you don't wear diamonds side by side like that. You don't wear an H next to a D. You wear it alone on your hand. Or with sidestones within a shade or two of that color.

People set I center stones with H sidestones all the time. And vice versa. Especially with rounds with ideal light return. People set H's with G sidestones and vice versa too.

So take a deep breath first and foremost. We are here to help you.

Second please make an appointment at your local Hearts on Fire Dealer and go in (plan for an hour) and when you make the appointment tell them you want to see Hearts on Fire stones in F-G-H-I colors.

And then go and see what your eyes tell you. That's REALLY the only way you will know.

Think of it as a test drive. If you were buying a car, you'd test drive several right??? Well, this is the same thing. You are spending as much as most people spend on a car. So do some in person research. Then come here and we'll find you the best stone for your budget. Okay?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I were you, and you wanted H or better color. This is what I'd buy: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-16ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-h-vvs2#.Vz5cguS_pKp

And I'd put it in one of these three settings and be ridiculously thrilled about it.
http://erikawinters.com/Engagement-Rings-Grace-6-Prong-Solitaire.html#.Vz5dIeS_pKo
http://erikawinters.com/Engagement-Rings-Laurel-Cathedral-Solitaire.html#.Vz5dHeS_pKo
http://erikawinters.com/Engagement-Rings-Grace_Solitaire.html#.Vz5dGuS_pKo

And this from someone who is super picky about cut. And super duper picky about settings. :wavey:

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Duke: Gypsy has SHUT IT DOWN with the most beautiful choices ever. Take her advice!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL @ Fulvia!

FYI:

It is important to remember is that color is graded FACE DOWN. Where there is NO light return. Not face up where there is light return and refraction. You wear diamonds set. FACE UP.

Within one color grade, even the labs can't agree on the color grades of stones and something could be a "high" H or a "low" E. Within 2 color grades it is hard too. And it gets harder once set. If you are talking ideal rounds, or any stone with ideal light return and no sharp corners it gets harder still because the ideal light return masks body color.

Generally we say to be conservative stay above H.

_327.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1463704710|4033772 said:
If I were you, and you wanted H or better color. This is what I'd buy: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-16ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-h-vvs2#.Vz5cguS_pKp

And I'd put it in one of these three settings and be ridiculously thrilled about it.
http://erikawinters.com/Engagement-Rings-Grace-6-Prong-Solitaire.html#.Vz5dIeS_pKo
http://erikawinters.com/Engagement-Rings-Laurel-Cathedral-Solitaire.html#.Vz5dHeS_pKo
http://erikawinters.com/Engagement-Rings-Grace_Solitaire.html#.Vz5dGuS_pKo

And this from someone who is super picky about cut. And super duper picky about settings. :wavey:

The Margot is my favorite setting if hers

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neil its one of my favorites too (and the one I'd be mostly likely to get by her, personally, if I wanted a solitiare style and had a honking stone). It sounded like he really wanted a plain solitaire and the Margot has pave shoulders (does it come plain, if it does, definitely a great choice), so I didn't post it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
To me it looks mushy. And it's facing up smaller than the OEC/Tranny (it's right on the cusp) H VVS.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will tell you that I absolutely love both AVCs and AVRs. You won't find better cut antique style cut stones. The one thing I feel you need to pay attention to are diameter measurements. I have an AVR at 2.29 cts that is 8.4mm, and I have considered getting an equivalent size AVC and recently even contacted Jon about one, and I realized due to the depth of cushions in general that I need a 2.5 ct AVC to get the approximately same face up size as the AVR. Some stones are deeper than others, too. So when you think you want a 2.5 ct diamond, you can't generalize that to think that all will be around the same size, because they won't. Even within AVRs, some are deeper than others and some face up larger like mine. Same goes with actual antique stones. You must look at diameter measurements.

DukeFB04

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the info. I had a conversation with my better-half last night and it turns out her first choice would be a cushion and then a round. She trusts my taste and style so I still have flexibility. However, on her hand, I believe the AVC is the way to go. The decision was difficult because the more I look at the OEC the more I like it...the petal facets are really alluring and catch my eye.

As for the spread, it is precisely for the reason you stated that caused me to begin Iooking at rounds. I love the uniqueness of the OMC & OEC just to be a little different from everyone else while incorporating sparkle of more modern cuts with the broad flashes of the antique-style. It is really nice to have something a little less mainstream and more personalized as well. I know I can't go wrong with either choice but I believe AVC is the winner.

Do you think it will be ok to set a 2.2 - 2.5 AVC in a solitaire double-claw prong setting with a thin 1.8 -2.0mm pave platinum band? Also, can I get your opinions about the following? Sorry I am a novice so I hope this works:

cushion_image_2.jpg
cushion_image_1_2.jpg

vs

Also, does anyone think I am making a mistake by not choosing the OEC? FYI we live in the metro NY area if that makes a difference

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DukeFB04|1463755908|4033980 said:
Thanks for all the info. I had a conversation with my better-half last night and it turns out her first choice would be a cushion and then a round. She trusts my taste and style so I still have flexibility. However, on her hand, I believe the AVC is the way to go. The decision was difficult because the more I look at the OEC the more I like it...the petal facets are really alluring and catch my eye.

As for the spread, it is precisely for the reason you stated that caused me to begin Iooking at rounds. I love the uniqueness of the OMC & OEC just to be a little different from everyone else while incorporating sparkle of more modern cuts with the broad flashes of the antique-style. It is really nice to have something a little less mainstream and more personalized as well. I know I can't go wrong with either choice but I believe AVC is the winner.

Do you think it will be ok to set a 2.2 - 2.5 AVC in a solitaire double-claw prong setting with a thin 1.8 -2.0mm pave platinum band? Also, can I get your opinions about the following? Sorry I am a novice so I hope this works:

cushion_image_2.jpg
cushion_image_1_2.jpg

vs

Also, does anyone think I am making a mistake by not choosing the OEC? FYI we live in the metro NY area if that makes a difference

So you'll be paying tax on a good old gold diamond vs a VC diamond,am I correct?

DukeFB04

Rough_Rock
I don't actually know because I am in Northern NJ not NY so I think as long as I ship it I won't have to endure it. I haven't explored that fully yet.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results