shape
carat
color
clarity

August Vintage Cushion compared to a BGD Round Brilliant!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: August Vintage Cushion compared to a BGD Round Brilliant

Do you think you can accept the warmth for the long term with this set? What band would you wear with it because of the color disparity?

I think I prefer the round still, though I like that they provide almost identical finger coverage.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

ame|1315422097|3011873 said:
Do you think you can accept the warmth for the long term with this set? What band would you wear with it because of the color disparity?

I think I prefer the round still, though I like that they provide almost identical finger coverage.

I might not wear a band at all, or would wear a plain band. I would not keep it set like this and would set it either in a three stone or another antique style to fit its cut and look. How would I feel long term. I don't know! I will say that with this M I actually really *like* the warmth and think it is really pretty when it looks buttery, I actually would like it to look that way all the time and would go to an N color if that would look more buttery all the time. In my Js and the K I had before, I never liked the color and tolerate it at best as a negative that is acceptable because I like big diamonds on a smaller budget. I do not like how the M looks in bright sunlight as much or in incadescent lighting -- but I don't like my J in those lights either. I need more time and comparison to know which one I like better.

BUT my mantra at the moment with diamonds is no compromises and when in doubt don't. I am only going to keep the M (or another warm AVC) if I love it just as it is for what it is. I am still getting to know the diamond and its color. But I will admit, I do sort of love it. It looks so special to me.

Something that has always bothered me about my RB is its commoness and traditionalism. The AVC appeals to me *a lot* because it is so unusual and unique. The color is part of that. I am trying to decide now if I would prefer a colorless AVC though. I am not sure.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer, have you considered just going up to an I? I have had a J as well and I don't have the same issues with an I colored stone. I pretty much like it in all lighting, and I couldn't say that about my J even though in many ways, it was the most beautiful stone I had ever seen.

I think if I am able to get an AVC for a pendant, it will probably be an I.

The M is so gorgeous, but if color bugs you at all and I is a nice in-between option.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Are you opposed to modified rounds? Like would like like a Star129 or something? Those are less common and have a vastly different look.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

luv2sparkle|1315425225|3011939 said:
Dreamer, have you considered just going up to an I? I have had a J as well and I don't have the same issues with an I colored stone. I pretty much like it in all lighting, and I couldn't say that about my J even though in many ways, it was the most beautiful stone I had ever seen.

I think if I am able to get an AVC for a pendant, it will probably be an I.

The M is so gorgeous, but if color bugs you at all and I is a nice in-between option.

Yes, that is on my radar!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

would you trade in your RB for another stone if it was an even trade- or is this a "only doing it for profit" swap?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Amys Bling|1315443336|3012180 said:
would you trade in your RB for another stone if it was an even trade- or is this a "only doing it for profit" swap?

I am waffling Amy. At the instant I actually think we should sell and pocket 100% of the proceeds. Other times I think if we sell, spend it all and get a bigger better AVC. I am terrible at decisions like this.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1315448594|3012266 said:
Amys Bling|1315443336|3012180 said:

I am waffling Amy. At the instant I actually think we should sell and pocket 100% of the proceeds. Other times I think if we sell, spend it all and get a bigger better AVC. I am terrible at decisions like this.

I would be torn too! :halo:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you're choosing just between those two... your RB takes the cake for me, no question. The AVC is unique, and charming, and really beautiful, but
-You've expressed concerns about colour in general, and you've talked about how you're glad your J is not as clearly tinted as Js of that size can be, even when well-cut, and how you think G would be your sweet spot
-I think the novelty of the shape, faceting, colour of the AVC makes it especially appealing compared to the same 'ol RB, but those are the very things you might find you tire of after the newness wears off. I could definitely see myself craving the 'modern classic' colourless RB Ering again after giving it up.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yssie|1315541785|3013300 said:
If you're choosing just between those two... your RB takes the cake for me, no question. The AVC is unique, and charming, and really beautiful, but
-You've expressed concerns about colour in general, and you've talked about how you're glad your J is not as clearly tinted as Js of that size can be, even when well-cut, and how you think G would be your sweet spot
-I think the novelty of the shape, faceting, colour of the AVC makes it especially appealing compared to the same 'ol RB, but those are the very things you might find you tire of after the newness wears off. I could definitely see myself craving the 'modern classic' colourless RB Ering again after giving it up.

My thoughts exactly.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1315542168|3013303 said:

My thoughts exactly.

Awwww :(( I'm sad for that gorgeous AVC.

LOL!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Laila619|1315543034|3013317 said:

My thoughts exactly.

Awwww :(( I'm sad for that gorgeous AVC.

LOL!

I just can't have my cake and eat it too. But I will save up and buy and AVC one day too! Apparently someone already called dibs on this AVC if I did not keep it, so it will go to a loving home.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

So a decision has been made???

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My thoughts exactly.

+1.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

MissGotRocks|1315566605|3013444 said:

My thoughts exactly.

+1.

Agreed. Certain cuts fascinate me-- but I think for an ERing I would eventually tire. A nice RHR though.... :naughty:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have not closed the door on a switch to an AVC with less color. It is a beautiful diamond, we both like it more than an RB.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

As much as I've loved some L-M-N stones around here .... Haven's .... a big ol E/W set M whose owner I can't name right now .... I just didn't see this for YOU. It is a beautiful stone.

Weird suggestion .... with all your talk of "butteryness" -- have you ever considered a fancy light yellow? DBL is doing some cushiony branded ones with a similar look to AVC -- but they work in fancies too. (Now I'm not generally a DBL fan & still not sure how I come down on them, but your desire for "buttery" made me think of fancies - not, in fact, lower colored white diamonds)

Personally, I think I'd prefer a G or H AVC --- but even still the novelty of the cut might wear off if you're not truly a "cushion" person and just trying to shake things up a bit (and make some $ perhaps).

They say not to buy a new outfit if you prefer the outfit you have on. Same w/diamonds, right? You already have a beauty and its going to be hard to top. So .... yay?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I agree with your last Deco, but realize I have not actually voiced my opinion in this thread much, I have been trying to keep it more descriptive. So which outfit do I like more?

In person, the AVC cut really knocks my socks off. It is chunky, and lively, and mezmerizing. I actually think it is a better cut for people who like to gaze at their diamonds up close, like I do. Up close, the facets dance in a really beautiful way, and there is absolutely zero obstruction no matter how close you hold it to your face in any lighting -- that is no mean feat of design. Up close, the center of my RB goes dark and it is really not as interesting to look at. But the RB is brighter and more eye catching from a distance. I would say that the cut of the AVC is more personal and for the enjoyment of the wearer, whereas the cut of the RB is more for the public. Other people will notice and comment on an RB perhaps more because it will catch their eye more, but I think the wearer gets more pleasure from the AVC than from the RB. At least this wearer does.

And color is an interesting one. Photos only tell so much of the story, of course. I have been sampling others' opinions about the two diamonds to get a sense of their reactions in person. My close friend who is a real color snob -- only really likes D-E color and wrinkles her nose like its a bad smell at the mention of "yellow" -- she fell on the floor drooling over the AVC. She really liked the color a lot (except for the pavilion view, which I sort of agree with). I don't think she would pick it for herself, but she said NO ONE would look at it and think it was a "cheap" diamond, her and my concern about the color. And she did have the pleasure of enjoying the buttercup color and the ivory and the blazing white it can be in different lighting. You can't capture the variety it in pictures really. I know monitors vary, too, and some pics make the stone look brownish, but it is not. You have to see it to believe it and understand. "Antique Lace" is a totally apt description.

My husband prefers the AVC.

And for me, whereas tint has always been something I tolerate in other rocks, I actually *like* the body color of this diamond. A lot. There are two lighting environments where it is not my favourite: on a sunny day in my car, and in strong pot lighting, both situations where the body color of the stone is a deep orangy brown. But I took BOTH my rings out yesterday when I ran errends and guess what? My J looks like poop in the same situations. Literally :cheeky: . Any ways, it is good to have them both with me to compare, no doubt.

So I am a little in love with this AVC diamond. But is it true love? Or just a passing crush like I had on that tatooed guy when I was 16? You know the guy, so unusual and unique and a little bit "bad" with his tatoo of a tiger jumping through a flaming hoop on his big muscley chest. But will it last? Would his unpredictability keep me passionate? Or is that what upgrade policies are all about :devil:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think, you will find a H-I AVC and it will be everlasting love :) lol

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Amys Bling|1315587806|3013664 said:
I think, you will find a H-I AVC and it will be everlasting love :) lol

But it will not be as big a muscley :blackeye:

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Dreamer_D|1315587344|3013659 said:
And for me, whereas tint has always been something I tolerate in other rocks, I actually *like* the body color of this diamond. A lot. There are two lighting environments where it is not my favourite: on a sunny day in my car, and in strong pot lighting, both situations where the body color of the stone is a deep orangy brown. But I took BOTH my rings out yesterday when I ran errends and guess what? My J looks like poop in the same situations. Literally :cheeky: . Any ways, it is good to have them both with me to compare, no doubt.

So I am a little in love with this AVC diamond. But is it true love? Or just a passing crush like I had on that tatooed guy when I was 16? You know the guy, so unusual and unique and a little bit "bad" with his tatoo of a tiger jumping through a flaming hoop on his big muscley chest. But will it last? Would his unpredictability keep me passionate? Or is that what upgrade policies are all about :devil:

I know exactly what you mean-re poop. My K rb does the same thing in certain situations, but my M OEC looks great almost everywhere, and that's with a heavy yg bezel to boot! If that K wasn't set in the JM, it would likely be another shape by now... :devil:

So, which is it? Skinny or chunky? (Hunky?) And really, if you are a fickle mistress, then maybe smaller stones of different shapes are in your future-or periodic upgrades.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Coati I am a fickle mistress. There is no doubt. I need a polyamorous relationship with my diamonds I think. I have been practicing serial manogamy so far, but I am not sure it is meeting all my needs.

LGK

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1315590468|3013700 said:
Coati I am a fickle mistress. There is no doubt. I need a polyamorous relationship with my diamonds I think. I have been practicing serial manogamy so far, but I am not sure it is meeting all my needs.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the AVC would be a great secondary, too bad you can't have both!

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock

I feel the very same way! :Up_to_something:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think we'd all love to own multiple shapes!

I'd take a sleek and elegant emerald cut and a vintage cushion in a heart beat! :lickout:

Re the AVC and round...which one makes you happiest when you look down and see it on your finger? Which one would make you sadder to part with forever?

audball

Ideal_Rock

So, I'm just going to throw this out there. If you LOVE rounds and LOVE the optics of the AVC, why not go for an AVR? :naughty:

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

haha! Know thyself. :cheeky:

btw-great pics. I was curious to see what you'd think of the color. Old style cuts are different animals in that regard. It's hard to see body color when you see so much environmental reflection.

Good luck!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I came into my office to see what the rings look like in that lighting :cheeky: I'm on maternity leave so have not been here in a while and needed to do some paperwork for my students so I thought, why not kill two birds with one stone?

My office is mixed lighting, with overhead flourescents and a very large window for natural light.

Both look pretty good here, which is really not good lighting for diamonds anyways. The AVC is like a slow moving kaleidescope and the RB like a splintery disco ball. I think looking at my hands as I type the RB wins a little because it catches the eye more and has faster scintillation.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock

O M G- the AVC is spectacular...

HeatherL

Shiny_Rock

Hi Dreamer, yes when I temporarily purchased the M stone I had my diamond on consignment. It was only for a period of about 2 months. However my stone did not sell within that time frame and there were not any AVC's in stock or in the pipeline coming in that met the specs that I was looking for. I also wanted my ring (whether it be an AVC or RB) back before we went on vacation. So I became impatient and pulled my stone.

I toyed with the idea of a 3 stone and then I saw the K AVC on GOG's website. For awhile I didn't jump on it because it wasn't exactly the specs I was looking for. I would rather of had around a 1.5 J color AVC, but this stone is the shape that I adore and honestly I really wasn't bothered by the M color and heck a little extra size doesnt hurt anyone :naughty: . So I've put my diamond back on consignment and put the rest of the money down to hold my new AVC until my RB sells.

I know you questioned about what other people would think about the M color. My sister came over and saw the stone when it was showing what you refer to as the buttery color that these stones display. But the stone was also sparkling like mad. My sister said the stone was pretty however she wasn't so sure about the color, she has an I color RB. She thought perhaps how the stone was set would make a big difference but she wasn't put off by it either. But my niece and my daughter who have not yet been exposed to the idea of white diamonds are better were in total awe with it. They thought the AVC was much prettier then the RB.

For me I fell in love with the AVC, it's different then the norm and such a stunning cut, I just adore it. I was never a RB girl as I always liked fancies better. But then I found PS and I just had to have an ideal cut RB so that I could see all of those wonderful arrows. But when I picked up my RB from WF I honestly remember being slightly disappointed, it wasn't quite what I thought it was going to be. But when I opened up the box and saw the M color AVC I was literally jumping up and down as I was that excited. So what I guess I'm trying to say is that you need to find what makes your heart sing and then just go for it. Because if its the AVC and you return it, it's all that you will think about.....trust me, I know!!!!

Sorry for the long post but I thought perhaps it would help since I've been in a similar situation!!!!! Good luck and keep up posted, I'm anxioulsy awaiting to hear what you decide.......

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results