shape
carat
color
clarity

August Vintage Cushion compared to a BGD Round Brilliant!

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: August Vintage Cushion compared to a BGD Round Brilliant

They are both very lovely, just curious do you think the difference in width of the setting effected your perception of the stones respective sizes?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1315235449|3010039 said:
I have absolutely not decided what I am going to do. Still percolating and getting to know this particular AVC.
I think *I* know what you're going to do already! Not sure whether I should guess or make my own opinion known here since you're still posting more pix etc.... but I think you're a round gal. Cannot fathom you giving up that lovely stone of yours for .... this.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock

Dreamer-
what are you up to?? I thought you got your round for you ultimate ring of a three stone?? Now you are going in a different direction with the AVC. Though I have to sau that is a REALLY lovely AVC. For me it is in my sweet spot color for an AVC. I think it gives that anitque stone and antique color. Put that beauty in a delicate antique style setting and YUMMMY!! An instant heirloom piece.

Can not wait to hear what you are up to.

:bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I agree with Deco. You are a round girl, IMO. The AVC is lovely, but I don't think it suits you like the round does.

smokey99

Shiny_Rock

Wow!! Both beautiful but that AVC is just awesome!!! Im a fan of a chunkier faceted stone and that cut is really amazing

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rosetta|1315251801|3010195 said:
AVC wins hands down for me :love: :love: :love:

I know. For me too. Also, the figer coverage looks the same to me.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

I am curious how you feel about the M color. I know you have said before that you were hoping for a higher color than J for your RB- so I am curious how you feel about the M in the avc and if it's something you can live with.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sorry to leave the thread hanging, I actually got a fever starting last night and have spent the day in bed! I'm starting to feel a little better so hopefully can get back to it tonight.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1315272561|3010391 said:
Sorry to leave the thread hanging, I actually got a fever starting last night and have spent the day in bed! I'm starting to feel a little better so hopefully can get back to it tonight.

I bet having that AVC and your RB to stare at has helped ease the pain ;-)

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock

Get some rest and get well soon Dreamer!

We`ll wait. Patiently. :bigsmile:

The AVC is a beautiful stone. IMHO, and based on your pictures, I like it better than your RB (which is a gorgeous stone also!) but I'm sure IRL it must be very different....

Take care.

Cachette :))

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium

aw Dreamer, that stinks! i hope you feel better sooner rather than later!! :wavey:

slg47

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1315272561|3010391 said:

oh no! I hope you feel better soon!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Take your time Dreamer! There is a nasty bug going around here too, best thing for you is to get lots of rest. I know for me , as a mom,
sometimes it took getting sick just to slow down a bit. Take care of yourself! Hugs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, poor Dreamer!!! A mother of a newborn and sick..not a good combination! Hope you'll feel better soon!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thank you for the well wishes my friends! I am feeling a lot better today, though still not 100%. But well enough to post on PS while my son is napping ;))

So lets start with the most important thing: CUT.

The RB and the AVC are both top in their classes when it comes to optics, both being AGS0 cuts. There is nothing to fault in either in that regard, both look amazing in all different lighting -- flashy, bright, great contrast and scintillation, fire. All the things we love about diamonds are apparent in both.

But there are some areas where they really differ.

The AVC seems to have more life and is more playful accross a wider variety of lighting environments. Its big bold facets are always moving, and even in lower light this movement is apparent. It also does not suffer obstruction on close inspection the way my RB does, which is an interesting an surprising aspect of this cut. The AVC also reflects environmental colors in a really interesting way. Though both the RB and AVC will reflect colors from the environment, the larger facets on the AVC make this more obvious and sometimes truly surprising! I looked at my hand once and the stone was flourescent green and orage, reflecting the cartoon mural on the wall behind me. Very unusual and interesting!

The RB is generally a brighter and more eye catching stone. In low lighting, in particular, the RB looks brighter to my eye. There is something subtle about the light play on the AVC, softer, whereas the RB is more in your face. I don't know how much of this is a function of the color difference, as the color could make the light play more subtle (??) in the AVC, or whether it is primarily due to the cut, but the differece is there.

AVCRB22.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

COLOR

I decided to see an M color because I wanted to see an obviously tinted stone. Well I should have gone lower in color if that is what I wanted :rodent:

I don't think I need to describe what a J looks like as many of you have seen one or can see it in the store. But an M color is another story.

I don't know what an M color looks like in an RB, but in a fancy it is really lovely.

In indirect natural lighting, like sitting in a room without lights on but lots of light coming in through a window, it is a lovely soft white, almost a vanilla color. Outside on a clear day or a cloudy day, it looks bright white. When I opened the box I was actually shocked because the stone looked so white to my eye. In other lighting, like typical indoor lightbulb lighting, it goes a deeper honey or buttery color. In bright sunlight or some incandescent lighting, it turn a deep orangy-brown color. Now this latter is common to all diamonds, my J also goes dark in that lighting, but it is more pronounced in the M color stone.

Here are some pictures I took today that I think capture some of these different looks.

AVCRB20.jpg

AVCRB21.jpg

AVCRB23.jpg

AVCRB26.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

These photos show the M color AVC with my H-I color half eternity. There is a very marked contrast, I would not personally wear these two together. BUT I would consider adding a halo to an M color AVC, I think it would look really cool and would bring out its buttery tones.

Lovestreet said her M color AVC looks like gingerale sometimes, I think that description is apt!

AVCRB24.jpg

AVCRB25.jpg

AVCRB27.jpg

AVCRB28.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here are some photos that show how the body tone goes deep orange in some lighting. In the first couple shots you can see the orange tone *behind* the main facets, which are reflecting the blue/grey of our house and the camera. In the fire shots, you can see how both the RB and the AVC have gone notably orange, but it is more apparent in the AVC.

AVCRB18.jpg

AVCRB19.jpg

AVCRB13.jpg

AVCRB17.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer thanks so much for posting these! these are great photos and it is really interesting to read your thoughts about the RB vs AVC. although I admit I am a little jealous that you get to play with them!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Love hearing your thoughts on this! I'm sure you've answered this before on PS, but what is your ring size? All of the diamonds seem huge on your finger. :love:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh man, that AVC is killer! It looks so good with your diamond band too.

The chunky facets of the AVCs just get me every time. :love: Lucky girl you! For some reason, I think the square/rectangle shapes give more finger covarage than rounds. It's a smaller stone mm wise, but I think the AVC looks as big if not bigger somehow!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

rubybeth|1315342050|3010944 said:
Love hearing your thoughts on this! I'm sure you've answered this before on PS, but what is your ring size? All of the diamonds seem huge on your finger. :love:

Ruby right now my fingers are bigger than usual, close to a size 7. Dang pregnancy ;)) I think the diamonds look big because, lets face it, they are :rodent:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Resonance.Of.Life|1315199302|3009906 said:
Amazing! It's so unbelievable that it shows so blazingly white in indirect light !

I'm assuming you're keeping it :naughty: Any plans on diving further down in the color spectrum too?

Well I would love to an O/P. I think if I was not considering trading in my J for this new stone I would consider a lower color for a RHR or additional diamond, but not as my keystone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Bella_mezzo|1315218378|3009943 said:
DD-I've been waiting for this thread. Can't wait ot hear what you you think/decide-) I know what I would pick ;))

P.S. i don't usually care for the stock tiff-style setting either but that one looks really nice with the claw prongs.

The setting is not my cuppa either. It sits too high off the finger, about 2mm more than my other setting! But they did a nice job on the prongs. I sent a picture of my present ring and they got them pretty close!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

lknvrb4|1315221721|3009951 said:
I love the AVC, are you getting rid of your RB? Did I miss something?

I am considering selling my RB and getting an AVC.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

cokitty|1315255409|3010227 said:
They are both very lovely, just curious do you think the difference in width of the setting effected your perception of the stones respective sizes?

The band is thinner and the stone set higher on the AVC. It might affect size perception a weensy bit, but honestly the stones just look the same size to my eye. As I said, face up spread is actually greater on the AVC:

46mm square on the RB (approx)
49m square on the AVC (approx)

And in real life, I think the eye sees this face up spread.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hmm, what lovely things to ponder. I would be so torn, as they are both beautiful stones and you have captured the inherent (albeit different) charms of each one. I'll be interested to see which you end up keeping (I have a guess, but I'll keep it to myself for now!). Hope you are feeling 100% today!

chicam

Shiny_Rock

She is definitely going for the AVC is my bet. It's written all over the post. They are both beautiful but I think the AVC appeals more to me now, even though I just recently upgraded from a round to another round.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium

awesomely thorough posts and pics Dreamer! this will be a seriously helpful, much-visited thread going forward!! and man, are you good at suspense. i am dying to know what you are leaning towards doing!!!

i'm glad to hear you are feeling a little better, and that baby napped so you could rest too. here's hoping for your full recovery by tomorrow, if not sooner!

dani13

Ideal_Rock

What a great synopsis, DD!!! For what its worth, I am really loving the AVC!!! The AVC with its chunky facets and bright flashes of light is just gorgeous to me. Can't wait to see what you do!!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results