carat
color
clarity

ASET For Royal Asscher: Answered

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondhoarder

I’ve been reflecting a little... I’ve wanted a Royal Asscher for many, many years and when this one crossed my path, I jumped on it even though I wasn’t really planning to buy a diamond.

What I said about it likely winding up in the vault for a very long time is true however. That reality has been sinking in for me. While I’m happy to do just that and maybe pass it on as an heirloom or collectors item, it would be a shame to not see this stone set and really be shown off.

You seemed passionate about finding a RA and, if you’d like, I‘m willing to pass this one forward to a good home. It’s an incredible find, an absurdly beautiful stone and I got it at a great price (which I’ll be willing to also pass forward). Like Karl said, this is a good one.

If that sounds interesting, let me know and I’ll post it on LoupeTroop for you so we can communicate more through that forum.

The only wrinkle is that I’m not entirely sure about how one goes about shipping high-value items from the US to the UK, though this seems like a solvable issue.

If anyone knows of a secure way to go about it, please share!

...and while we’re here, here’s another video:

This is such a beautiful gesture. You just made my heart melt. ♥️
@diamondhoarder, I think you found a new friend! lol!!
@Dr_Diesel, thank you for sharing details, and contact info for Mike Asscher. I am interested in owning a RA, at some point, as well. This is valuable info for the future. Glad to know you had such a positive experience.
Thank you for posting about this beautiful RA!!! ♥️

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
@Dr_Diesel that is sad that you are going to pass this stone. However, such an amazing gesture to pass on the special that you got on this amazing stone!!!

in another time, i would have jumped on this stone.
Sounds like there may be a few others that might be in line for this amazing stone.
good luck for a quick sale.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondhoarder

I’ve been reflecting a little... I’ve wanted a Royal Asscher for many, many years and when this one crossed my path, I jumped on it even though I wasn’t really planning to buy a diamond.

What I said about it likely winding up in the vault for a very long time is true however. That reality has been sinking in for me. While I’m happy to do just that and maybe pass it on as an heirloom or collectors item, it would be a shame to not see this stone set and really be shown off.

You seemed passionate about finding a RA and, if you’d like, I‘m willing to pass this one forward to a good home. It’s an incredible find, an absurdly beautiful stone and I got it at a great price (which I’ll be willing to also pass forward). Like Karl said, this is a good one.

If that sounds interesting, let me know and I’ll post it on LoupeTroop for you so we can communicate more through that forum.

The only wrinkle is that I’m not entirely sure about how one goes about shipping high-value items from the US to the UK, though this seems like a solvable issue.

If anyone knows of a secure way to go about it, please share!

...and while we’re here, here’s another video:

@Dr_Diesel

Thank you, that's a really kind thought. I'm definitely interested and would love to find out more about the stone.

I just added a listing to Loupetroop so that you you can contact me.

Look forward to chatting via loupetroop :wavey:

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is why I love PS!!!!

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Just thought I’d share a new ASET photo. This one may be more telling than the last. I’ll also be posting new videos soon...and some photoshop designs for a possible gent’s ring!

Meanwhile, here is the photo, taken against an iPad Screen with tweezers, a handheld ASET and an iPhone11 37FFBA67-9DE4-4FC2-8D25-0C61EAEAE108.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
79B91957-936C-4154-9628-8A1B8E443B3D.jpeg The first photo is the stone held over a squared 5mm platinum band. What follows are some ideas for a gents ring based on Boonerings Tension Squared design. It’s a little higher to accommodate the depth of the Asscher and a groove cut in it so that only the 4 corners mount under tension, leaving the sides open. That feature is similar to their Sidegrooves ring - the one made famous by @kenny and his gorgeous Octavia! Thoughts anyone??? 4A03D658-71F5-44B6-A9CE-60C8FD1B65BB.jpeg B52080FF-185C-4014-A428-155534B7B527.jpeg F42685BD-206C-420B-B906-27926031E1F5.png 50A23C82-2D60-4F6D-8D01-1C3F4023A4A1.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
And this one is just shameless bling based on my sapphire ring, only with the RA instead and two 5 to 5.5mm French-cut trapezoids from Yoram.

Here’s the original post for the sapphire ring:

Attachments

• 47EB34B4-E368-4A8F-B8E4-D7BD4107135A.jpeg
    47EB34B4-E368-4A8F-B8E4-D7BD4107135A.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 5C3EED9E-5EFF-4623-B6F9-36FF977370CC.jpeg
    5C3EED9E-5EFF-4623-B6F9-36FF977370CC.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 15

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I like all of your designs that you have chosen and posted so far. However, one stands out more than the others.. and i am biased as it is similar to one of my rings in my avatar. :)

I really like the off centre look.
Out of the 2 that you have shown, i like the bottom one. the one that is just the plain band tension set ring.

I also like the side setting with the groove cut/ channel setting (the one with the rails at the top and the bottom of the ring and stone). It gives it quite a bit of structure compared to the one i like..it is very distinctive with the strong lines. the channel also allows more light entering the diamond which gives the RA more life..... the channels also end right in the corners of the RA to match with the windmills... Sublime, subtle detail that works so well.

The 3 stone in that setting is going to be a stunner. However, i woudl consider changing the prongs that you have to be more tab like. Currently it looks like a button. and it covers the corners of the RA, and to me that is what is so unique about this stone. the corners are where the windmills finish. So i would change it to a tab or ribbon prong.. i do not have a good picture of it. The prong is like a thin line that follows the outline of the stone. a straight edge so to speak. that particular prong will accentuate the corners of the RA.
this is an angle shot of the ring, and it makes the tab/ ribbon prongs look quite chunky. But from top down, it would look quite minimal and follow the outline of that corner of the RA.
angle shot of tab prong.jpg

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just thought I’d share a new ASET photo. This one may be more telling than the last. I’ll also be posting new videos soon...and some photoshop designs for a possible gent’s ring!

Meanwhile, here is the photo, taken against an iPad Screen with tweezers, a handheld ASET and an iPhone11 37FFBA67-9DE4-4FC2-8D25-0C61EAEAE108.jpeg

Great ASET photography! I'm curious as to why you say this ASET may be more telling than the last?

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I like all of your designs that you have chosen and posted so far. However, one stands out more than the others.. and i am biased as it is similar to one of my rings in my avatar. :)

I really like the off centre look.
Out of the 2 that you have shown, i like the bottom one. the one that is just the plain band tension set ring.

I also like the side setting with the groove cut/ channel setting (the one with the rails at the top and the bottom of the ring and stone). It gives it quite a bit of structure compared to the one i like..it is very distinctive with the strong lines. the channel also allows more light entering the diamond which gives the RA more life..... the channels also end right in the corners of the RA to match with the windmills... Sublime, subtle detail that works so well.

The 3 stone in that setting is going to be a stunner. However, i woudl consider changing the prongs that you have to be more tab like. Currently it looks like a button. and it covers the corners of the RA, and to me that is what is so unique about this stone. the corners are where the windmills finish. So i would change it to a tab or ribbon prong.. i do not have a good picture of it. The prong is like a thin line that follows the outline of the stone. a straight edge so to speak. that particular prong will accentuate the corners of the RA.
this is an angle shot of the ring, and it makes the tab/ ribbon prongs look quite chunky. But from top down, it would look quite minimal and follow the outline of that corner of the RA.
angle shot of tab prong.jpg

Thank you for weighing in and pointing out those details! Seemingly minor elements like that can really make or break a design. I think I’m leaning more towards the square, off-center channel-mount tension setting at the moment. I think that with a stone like that, it may work well in a thoughtfully designed but understated man’s ring. ...not to mention it’s much easier to keep a budget with Boone!

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
5F327071-24B3-4D02-86A6-3D98CCAB8E70.jpeg

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I think this one would look amazing with the clean lines and steps of the asscher. Although because of the size of the stone, If it was mine (or for my husband) I would probably prefer it to be centred on the band rather than offset. But that's just me and I like symmetry.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
yes Boone has some great designs and in chrome cobalt I think? this metal will start of as being like a white metal but it will be more silvery as it patinas.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Great ASET photography! I'm curious as to why you say this ASET may be more telling than the last?

This one is against a white background, the definition is better, you can see the blue contrast more clearly...and you can see what’s going on under the table. That part is key.

Rather than solid bands of color, the lines show colors mixing under the table - indicating slow, rolling light events.

The lines are constantly flowing between red green and blue (slow) and then back to red (fast events).

Rather than the lines just turning “on” or “off,” the light appears to flow across them like waves of water. You can see this effect in the videos pretty clearly.

This property also seems to have the effect of constantly splitting while light into colored light. Even in diffuse lighting, you can see pastel rainbow colors throughout the stone without moving it or with very slight movement.

When the blue areas go to red (moved between 75-45 degrees or the obstruction moves) with a slight tilt, it yields explosive (fast) flashes of white & colored light.

Hope that helps put together the ASET and the video!

Last edited:

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This one is against a white background, the definition is better, you can see the blue contrast more clearly...and you can see what’s going on under the table. That part is key.

Rather than solid bands of color, the lines show colors mixing under the table - indicating slow, rolling light events.

The lines are constantly flowing between red green and blue abd back to red (fast events) and, rather than the lines just turning on or off, the light appears to flow like waves of water. You can see this effect in the videos pretty clearly.

This property also seems to have the effect of constantly splitting while light into colored light. Even in diffuse lighting, you can see pastel rainbow colors throughout the stone without moving it or with very slight movement. When the blue areas go to red with a slight tilt, it yields more explosive flashes.

Hope that helps put together the ASET and the video!

Great explanation, thank you. I love that dispersion video with the diamond between the tweezers. What an amazing stone!

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Fire in that dispersion video! :love:

This one has some pop! I love it. So hard to capture the full effect on camera though....but still :dance:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A good asscher you can walk the light back and forth accross the stone there is really nothing else like it.
Its a combo of well defined virtual facets and them pointing to the right places.
A great asscher boosts that 10x

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
A good asscher you can walk the light back and forth accross the stone there is really nothing else like it.
Its a combo of well defined virtual facets and them pointing to the right places.
A great asscher boosts that 10x

Well said Karl!

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Two More ASET Images for you all! The first one is similar to the former image but ever-so-slightly different. The other is a lousy photo but it's kind of fun because you can see part of the girdle inscription "ROYAL ASSCHER CUT" Reflected in one of the pavilion facets (P4 maybe?)
RA 2.jpg IMG_0698.jpg

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The band is only at the design stage. Once the funds are ready, I’ll pull the trigger. The waiting is killing me!
I can share the loose stones with you, for now:

I was thinking about you & your sweet suite recently, and wondering if you’d set them yet and I missed it. Alas, our wait continues ... :cry:

@Dr_Diesel That RA ... no words, just lots of friendly envy! It’s gorgeous! :love:

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Boone cobalt chrome. It looks great. It is much lighter than platinum however. I do prefer the weight of the metal on my finger. I guess it depends on your preference.

Here's my Fancy Light Yellow Asscher in Boone's cobalt chrome.

Here's my Fancy Yellowish Brown Octavia in CvB platinum.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
The CvB looks like a tension set. But it isn't. I love it! Here's a profile shot.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The CvB looks like a tension set. But it isn't. I love it! Here's a profile shot.

IMG_20170916_162050.jpg

Both of those are gorgeous! I really like the fancy color Octavia...and is stunning in that CvB platinum setting.

I’ve been wondering about the light weight of the Boone rings. Thank you for pointing that out. The sapphire ring I wear every day weighs in at over 23 grams (also platinum) and I love the hefty feel. I think I would really miss that in a titanium or cobalt chrome ring.

I’m very inspired by your two rings. I may mock up some photoshop designs with those as inspiration.

...and again, YOW! That Octavia really rocks the fancy color and structural lines of that setting accent it perfectly. Well-executed. I love it!

Your input here really mean a lot.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. I can't wait to see your finished ring.

What are the stats on your RA btw?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg @acebruin that Octavia is just incredible!!!

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you. I can't wait to see your finished ring.

What are the stats on your RA btw?

Apologies for the slow reply! I haven't checked this thread for awhile.

The stats are:

1.56ct
F/VS1
6.40x6.41mmx4.35mm
68% depth
57% Table
Faint blue Fluorescence

...and I finally got a Macro Lens!:

E2DD06B8-4495-4E31-8B91-FB408251C0AF.jpeg 28FC56DE-5B52-4A36-AC2C-6723F50B1D84.jpeg 0D267979-3960-4560-BB5B-2CA8142B86E8.jpeg 7098DF36-E7D8-4870-963A-41716B2FF587.jpeg D0EB6A8B-B37F-4334-948A-E68C53F91B49.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results