shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT Art Deco Inspired Opal Pendant

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here is the photo of the pin mechanism. As you can see it has the double pin but unlike the ones I am familiar with it doesn't have the double "butterfly" locking piece at the bottom. I can understand the thinking on why she did it this way. The opal would be blocked the other way. But this way it doesn't lock and this morning I was wearing it as a pendant and leaning down cleaning cat boxes [my jewelry all has to pass the cleaning cat boxes test, lol] when it flipped over. Apparently I had squeezed one of the pins away from the little matching claw and the chain had come off of that pin. It was dangling by one! Now I am totally paranoid of wearing this as a pendant until it gets a make over. Goodness can you imagine if it falls totally off and the stone smashes into smithereens? My heart can't take that lol. Since it works well as a brooch I'm thinking I will have her do something different for the chain to go through. Something solid but I don't want it to show when wearing it as a brooch. Any ideas?

IMG_3514[1].jpg

No ideas??????

Here are a couple last sun pics before she goes back in for her make over.........

IMG_3526[1].jpg

IMG_3528[1].jpg

IMG_3530[1].jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no ideas re a better clasp - the mechanics of jewelry are beyond me.

But....

Hot diggity, she's divine! That opal is so light and bright - love it!

And I'm SO glad it didn't come off - serious nightmare!! Hopefully your jewelr will be able to come up with something that addresses al the issues - both safety and aesthetic.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow! She’s totally stunning!! I hope your jeweler can figure out the clasp so that it’s secure! I think she’s perfect with your dbty!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no ideas re a better clasp - the mechanics of jewelry are beyond me.

But....

Hot diggity, she's divine! That opal is so light and bright - love it!

And I'm SO glad it didn't come off - serious nightmare!! Hopefully your jewelr will be able to come up with something that addresses al the issues - both safety and aesthetic.

Yah, me too! I do love her. My jeweler has some ideas on how to fix it so that it doesn't flip but also doesn't impede the brooch mechanism and doesn't show when used as a brooch. I'm waiting anxiously to get her back.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! She’s totally stunning!! I hope your jeweler can figure out the clasp so that it’s secure! I think she’s perfect with your dbty!

Thanks yennyfire! I do like it so much better with my dbty. I really hope that whatever she comes up with will accommodate it.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will she be gone for long, @Catmom? This whole 'sending them back' thing is awful!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will she be gone for long, @Catmom? This whole 'sending them back' thing is awful!

Sigh I know. I don't know how long it will take. I'm taking it day by day. But I do have to say, I think I may have the only jeweler in the world that makes house calls. She was out of town until Tuesday morning and she stopped at my house to pick it up on the way back from the airport. Now that's service!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had completely missed this thread but saw your pendant in the hall of fame thread just now. It’s perfect! Such a striking design. I hope the issues are easily fixed and it’s quickly returned to you (so you can post more pics!).

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had completely missed this thread but saw your pendant in the hall of fame thread just now. It’s perfect! Such a striking design. I hope the issues are easily fixed and it’s quickly returned to you (so you can post more pics!).

Thanks so much lissyflo! I hope so too!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Catmom I apparently missed this thread as well, that's a gorgeous piece and how great that it's versatile.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Catmom I apparently missed this thread as well, that's a gorgeous piece and how great that it's versatile.

Thanks bright ice! I will be very happy when I can wear it both ways. :D

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
This is stunning. Hopefully you find a secure clasp- I would be so worried after that! Thank oyu for sharing all the pics, what a gorgeous piece of jewelry and fiery opal!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is stunning. Hopefully you find a secure clasp- I would be so worried after that! Thank oyu for sharing all the pics, what a gorgeous piece of jewelry and fiery opal!

Thank you so much apacherose! My jeweler will make it secure but it's killing me waiting for it to be done.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So is it possible to be incredibly happy and incredibly sad over a piece of jewelry because that's how I'm feeling right now. It's been a long almost month. My pendant/brooch is back and the pendant mechanism is fixed and very secure now. However before I gave it back I noticed a few scuff[?] marks on the opal by a couple of the prongs. I asked my jeweler to see if they could be polished off the stone and in the worst of luck in trying to do so my jeweler's bench cracked my beautiful opal. :cry2::cry2: It brings me to tears even thinking about how hard it is to find an opal with all the color play. As a matter of fact we couldn't find another one in the right size to fit my setting. But we did find an opal that was exactly what I was looking for in the first place. It is an almost exact match to my ring. It's a beautiful opal that almost glows and really jumps out of the setting, even more so than the other opal. It is the exact look that I had envisioned in my mind's eye when we started this process. It fits my OCD that while settings don't have to match the stones themselves must be at least a close match. I would never have worn the old pendant/brooch with my ring and now I can.

But....... I still feel sick to my stomach and very sad about the other opal. I loved that darned thing. So the search begins for a new opal with all the glorious color play of the old one. When I find it I don't know what I will do with it yet but hubby has been put on notice that the search begins, lol.

Here are a couple of bad pics of the new version. I just wasn't able to capture the glow of it. As you can see almost a perfect match....

DSC_0581[1].jpg
IMG_3711[1].jpg
IMG_3713[1].jpg
IMG_3716[1].jpg
IMG_3717[1].jpg
DSC_0587[1].jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Thank God for picky jewelers! Just Stunning! :love:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that's beautiful!!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like they replaced the one they cracked if I read that right? Glad they did right by you! It looks great!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww @Catmom I’m sorry about your opal but glad they found one close to your original vision that you can enjoy and hoping you find the opal to replace the one they cracked. With lots of delicious color play. One that is even more unreal and gorgeous than the opal the jeweler cracked. Sending you opalicious vibes and hugs. And in the meantime love your new opal pendant. It’s a perfect opalicious match. :kiss2:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Thank God for picky jewelers! Just Stunning! :love:

Thanks so much cushioncutnut!!!

Wow, that's beautiful!!!!

Thank you!

It sounds like they replaced the one they cracked if I read that right? Glad they did right by you! It looks great!

Yes, she replaced it no problems.

Aww @Catmom I’m sorry about your opal but glad they found one close to your original vision that you can enjoy and hoping you find the opal to replace the one they cracked. With lots of delicious color play. One that is even more unreal and gorgeous than the opal the jeweler cracked. Sending you opalicious vibes and hugs. And in the meantime love your new opal pendant. It’s a perfect opalicious match. :kiss2:

Yes, I was so torn at the time but the new one is exactly what I had in my mind in the first place. Plus now it gives me an excuse to get another one to replace the one that was cracked, lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results