missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LIVE UPDATES
Updated
June 8, 2020, 6:05 p.m. ET2 minutes ago
2 minutes ago
Coronavirus Live Updates: The Outbreak Is Worsening Globally, the W.H.O. Warns
New York City tentatively starts to reopen, 100 days after its first case. U.S. hospitals laid off staff members even as they received bailouts.
RIGHT NOW
President Trump has instructed campaign aides to arrange for him to resume large political rallies in the coming weeks.
Here’s what you need to know:

Sign up to receive an email alert when we update our live coronavirus coverage.Sign Up
Video

Back

-0:00
TRANSCRIPT
‘The Pandemic Remains a Public Health Emergency,’ W.H.O. Says
The World Health Organization extended its declaration of a global health emergency as the coronavirus pandemic continues to grow.
The Covid-19 crisis has illustrated that even the most sophisticated health systems have struggled to cope with a pandemic. W.H.O. has grave concerns about the potential impact the virus could have as it starts to accelerate in countries with weaker health systems. Of course, the pandemic remains a public health emergency of international concern. We will continue working with countries and partners to enable essential travel needed for pandemic response, humanitarian relief and cargo operations, and for countries to gradually resume normal passenger travel.

0:44
‘The Pandemic Remains a Public Health Emergency,’ W.H.O. Says
The World Health Organization extended its declaration of a global health emergency as the coronavirus pandemic continues to grow.CreditCredit...Sarah Blesener for The New York Times

New daily cases hit a record high on Sunday, the W.H.O. says.

The number of new daily cases worldwide hit a new high on Sunday, the World Health Organization reported on Monday, warning that the pandemic appeared to be worsening and urging countries that had seen improvement to remain vigilant.
“More than 100,000 cases have been reported on nine of the past 10 days,” Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the organization’s director general, said at a briefing on Monday. “Yesterday, more than 136,000 cases were reported — the most in a single day so far.”
He said that three-quarters of the new cases reported on Sunday came from just 10 countries, mostly in the Americas and South Asia. While the situation in Europe has improved, Dr. Tedros issued an appeal to countries that had been seeing positive signs, warning them that “the biggest threat now is complacency.”
The pandemic has sickened more than 7,033,100 people worldwide, according to a New York Times database, and as of Monday afternoon, at least 403,300 people had died. More than a quarter of the deaths have been in the United States.

Dr. Tedros urged people to take care as protests against racism drew crowds around the world, calling for demonstrators to practice social distancing, wear masks, wash their hands, cover their coughs and stay home if they were sick.

“We continue to urge active surveillance to ensure the virus does not rebound, especially as mass gatherings of all kinds are starting to resume in some countries,” Dr. Tedros said. “W.H.O. fully supports equality and the global movement against racism. We reject discrimination of all kinds. We encourage all those protesting around the world to do so safely.”

Here are other developments from around the world:
  • A 14-day quarantine period for all travelersarriving in Britain took effect on Monday, to the anger of the country’s travel industry and doubts over the practicality of the new rules. Those entering Britain by air, ferry or train will have to provide an address at which they will isolate, with a fine of up to £1,000, or about $1,200, for violations.
  • With cases rising sharply in Israel, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced on Monday that the country would “put the brakes” on plans to relax more restrictions in the days to come. He urged Israelis, many of whom have stopped wearing masks, to follow the Health Ministry’s guidelines. “For the sake of our economy, health and lives, I ask you to heed the rules,” he said.
  • Canada reopened its border on Monday to immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Anyone showing symptoms will remain barred, and everyone will be required to quarantine for 14 days. A border agreement between Canada and the United States is set to expire June 21.
  • The Polish Health Ministry reported 1,151 new cases over the weekend, a record for the country. More than half came from the Silesia region in southwest Poland, an area famous for its coal mines.
  • Prime Minister Imran Khan of Pakistansaid he expected the virus to peak in the country by the end of July or August and urged residents to take precautions. Pakistan has seen a sharp rise in cases over the last week, surpassing 100,000 confirmed infections and more than 2,000 deaths.
  • New Zealand has no active cases and no new cases, officials announced on Monday, declaring that life could now return to a form of pre-pandemic normal.
Commuters wearing face masks waited for freshly scrubbed trains on a subway platform in Manhattan. Construction workers lined up to get their temperatures checked so they could get back on the job. The lights were back on in some neighborhood stores, and their doors were unlocked for curbside and in-store pickup — though many others remained shuttered and boarded up.

For the first time in months, New York City was officially back in business on Monday, with as many as 400,000 people returning to work in construction, manufacturing and limited retail operations.

“We’re not out of the woods, but we are on the other side, certainly,” Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said.

The first coronavirus case was confirmed 100 days ago in the city that became a center of the pandemic, where more than 205,000 people were infected and 22,000 people died. On Sunday, there were an additional 35 deaths statewide, and the city’s health commissioner said on Monday that the city was still in “a moderate transmission phase.”

Major challenges remain. More than 885,000 jobs vanished, and the city budget hemorrhaged tax revenue and now faces a $9 billion shortfall over the next year. Here’s what reopening looks like on Day 1:

• To allay concerns about a typically crowded subway system, Mr. Cuomo rode the 7 lineon Monday morning. “If the subway isn’t safe for me, then I wouldn’t ask anyone else go on the subway,” he said afterward.
  • To provide alternatives, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that the city would add more bus lanes and close some streets to cars to allow buses to move more quickly, though it was not as many miles as the transit agency had requested.
  • Hospitals in the city can now resume elective surgeries, Mr. Cuomo said, as the need for hospital beds has lessened.
  • The reopening has also been complicated by the vast, mostly peaceful protests for racial justice. The governor reiterated that protesters should get tested and to consider themselves exposed. He also urged police officers to wear masks after photographs showed that many were not.
  • Some retailers are waiting for tensions to ease, and many stores in the city remain closed. “I think New York City needs a week or two of healing before a week or two of selling,” said Ken Giddon, a co-owner of Rothmans, a small clothing chain with a flagship near Union Square.
  • Many businesses that rely on commutersand office workers anticipated slow traffic until more people went back to work. At Rainbow Bakery in Jackson Heights in Queens, “normally, we have a lot of people picking up things on the way to work,” said Colleen Lau, a server wearing a plastic face shield over a surgical mask, while standing behind a plexiglass counter barrier.
  • At Gift Man in Park Slope in Brooklyn, Maggie Russo was worried about paying rent after weeks of online sales and with few shoppers looking for souvenirs. “I’m happy I’m alive and I didn’t get the virus, but do you want to be alive and broke and not have money to pay the rent?” she said.
  • Some New Yorkers were thrilled to be out again. “Like a lot of people in my situation, I’m so fed up being in my apartment, eating my own cooking,” said Michael Gilsenan, a college professor, after finishing his coffee and cake outside a bakery in Greenwich Village. “I don’t even like cheesecake!”
  • While areas surrounding the city will enter the next reopening phase this week, Mr. Cuomo was cautious about the city’s timeline. He also warned in an interview on NY1 that officials could reimpose restrictions if the virus showed signs of returning.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read this and I'm very scared Missy.

I’m sorry @bling_dream19 :(
It is scary. I hesitated sharing this. I hesitate sharing anything negative these days because I don’t want to contribute negativity. But then I always think ok knowledge is power. We don’t know a lot about this virus but we know it is unpredictable and it can affect all ages and the presentation can vary.

All this to say we do the best we can to avoid getting infected and if we do get infected the odds are in our favor. Hold onto that. And make sure to get proper nutrition and rest and try to experience joy every single day. All that makes us stronger. And of course laugh as often as you can. That helps. (((Hugs))).

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I’m sorry @bling_dream19 :(
It is scary. I hesitated sharing this. I hesitate sharing anything negative these days because I don’t want to contribute negativity. But then I always think ok knowledge is power. We don’t know a lot about this virus but we know it is unpredictable and it can affect all ages and the presentation can vary.

All this to say we do the best we can to avoid getting infected and if we do get infected the odds are in our favor. Hold onto that. And make sure to get proper nutrition and rest and try to experience joy every single day. All that makes us stronger. And of course laugh as often as you can. That helps. (((Hugs))).

The virus is really scary. You never bring negativity and I'm glad I read it Missy. You are right that the knowledge is power and we just need to do our best to boost immunity and limit potential exposure. I guess that's why we're not chilling on the beach today lol! Hugs to you Missy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you sweet bling dream. ❤️ For you. Last night as we were chilling with the kitties in the living room. Very peaceful scene.

0E6CA335-5F39-4B01-ACF8-B82314B43D03.jpeg

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Thank you sweet bling dream. ❤️ For you. Last night as we were chilling with the kitties in the living room. Very peaceful scene.

0E6CA335-5F39-4B01-ACF8-B82314B43D03.jpeg

Wow that is absolutely soo serene and beautiful @missy just gorgeous and I'm feeling better already. Thank you sweet friend.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never felt that anything changed from when we were in lockdown mode here. Yes, I have gone to the cleaner's and to the card store since they were re-opened. Other than that, I have not changed my routine. I only go to the grocery store, and I do not go there on frivolous trips. I use a mask and gloves when I go. I am assuming that the virus will be back, either in response to the premature "re-opening" before any of the standards for re-opening were met, or because the Second Wave, which was anticipated for the fall will eventually arrive.

In my opinion, the only thing that changed about the epidemic, except that lockdown slowed the spread of cases where it was implemented while it was implemented, is that Trump decided to say it didn't exist and lots of people went along with him. In denial of reality.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF its madness here. Beaches more crowded than a regular summer. :/

This is in the middle of the week.
E40BEE33-A168-49C2-9111-FEC787A93AFA.jpeg

37ED40D6-224C-45E7-8B52-8D252DD5489E.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aussie update here

They did like 14000 tests in NSW this weekend and found 4 cases. Two from hotel quarantine, one might be a delayed case, one possibly community transmission.

We went out to the city, on public transport and all. I wouldn't say it was crowded but there was a healthy amount of people. Enough to feel sort of *normal* again.

Will be interesting to see how we fare in 2-3 weeks time when we'll know the effects from the protests. We're in the middle of winter too.

Kids all back at school for 2 weeks plus and seem to be fine.

I'm hopeful there is no second wave. The signs aren't looking bad.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Australia actually seems to have gotten rid of covid19 for now. Bravo for that. Unfortunately the United States has not, but its citizens are being encouraged to act as if we did. Therein lies disaster.

Aussie update here

They did like 14000 tests in NSW this weekend and found 4 cases. Two from hotel quarantine, one might be a delayed case, one possibly community transmission.

We went out to the city, on public transport and all. I wouldn't say it was crowded but there was a healthy amount of people. Enough to feel sort of *normal* again.

Will be interesting to see how we fare in 2-3 weeks time when we'll know the effects from the protests. We're in the middle of winter too.

Kids all back at school for 2 weeks plus and seem to be fine.

I'm hopeful there is no second wave. The signs aren't looking bad.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Australia actually seems to have gotten rid of covid19 for now. Bravo for that. Unfortunately the United States has not, but its citizens are being encouraged to act as if we did. Therein lies disaster.

Yup. :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I continue to be concerned. This is what social distancing looks like at the Jersey Shore :(

3BDE33E9-5794-4F96-81FA-C02BF0C81AA6.jpeg

Photo taken by me as we cycled (at a safe distance) by.

#socialdistancingnot #nofacemaskseither

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that illegal @missy?

I'm super curious as to whether you guys have any eased restrictions at all or are you still at where you are in April/May in terms of rules?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that illegal @missy?

I'm super curious as to whether you guys have any eased restrictions at all or are you still at where you are in April/May in terms of rules?

I really don't know. It seems as if nothing is truly enforceable so the governors/mayors can only make "strong" recommendations but can enforce few of them as far as I can tell.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl also I wrote to the NJ governor (last week) about the beach crowding which was directly against his orders. Of course I didn't expect a reply and so far I did not get one.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's take hard @missy!!!! That would really frustrate me!

Do they not have powers or are they being wishy washy on purpose???

I also think it's bad for public sentiment! If I go on a beach picnic with friends you'd be annoyed because it's against "recommendations". I'd be annoyed that you're annoyed because it's not illegal (haha still with me?).

It would be much better to just make it either legal or illegal!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's take hard @missy!!!! That would really frustrate me!

Do they not have powers or are they being wishy washy on purpose???

I also think it's bad for public sentiment! If I go on a beach picnic with friends you'd be annoyed because it's against "recommendations". I'd be annoyed that you're annoyed because it's not illegal (haha still with me?).

It would be much better to just make it either legal or illegal!

Agreed! I think they do not have the power.
IDK though for sure.

Here is an outdated article addressing the topic.

and

"
The C.D.C. is expected to advise all Americans to wear cloth masks in public. Trump says it won’t be mandatory.
The Trump administration appeared to be conflicted Thursday about whether to recommend that all Americans wear cloth masksif they go out in public, even as federal health officials were revising guidance to reflect new concerns that the coronavirus is being spread by infected people who have no symptoms.
Until now, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, like the World Health Organization, has advised that ordinary people don’t need to wear masks unless they are sick and coughing. Part of the reason was to preserve medical-grade masks, including N95 respirator masks, for health care workers who desperately need them at a time when they are in continuously short supply.

At a White House briefing Thursday evening, President Trump said his administration was “coming out with regulations” on mask wearing but stressed that the guidance would be entirely voluntary. “If people want to wear them, they can,” he said.
According to a federal official, the C.D.C. has been preparing to recommend that everyone wear face coverings in public settings, like pharmacies and grocery stores, to avoid unwittingly spreading the virus. Public health officials have continued to stress, however, that N95 masks and surgical masks should be saved for front-line doctors and nurses, who have been in dire need of protective gear.

For weeks, the administration has sent conflicting messages on masks. At first, officials clearly stated that masks should only be worn by sick people. For some time, Mr. Trump has been saying masks might be useful, but scarves would be fine as well. Chinese officials have expressed alarm at how few ordinary Americans are covering their noses and mouths.
Earlier this week, Dr. Robert Redfield, the director of the C.D.C., confirmed in a radio interview that the agency was reviewing its guidelines on who should wear masks. Citing new data that shows high rates of transmission from people who are infected but show no symptoms, he said the guidance on mask wearing was “being critically re-reviewed, to see if there’s potential additional value for individuals that are infected or individuals that may be asymptomatically infected.”

"
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio today announced police will no longer require people to wear masks in public, unless the absence of a mask presents a "serious danger."

The decision is part of a "reset" of the NYPD's enforcement of emergency rules during the pandemic, following a number of controversial encounters between officers and members of the public, some of them caught on video. The most recent was a confrontation between officers and a woman in a subway station, over whether she was wearing her mask properly.

At the same time, de Blasio says police will continue to enforce rules against large gatherings, because he says it's a matter of "saving lives."

Advocacy groups have complained that the NYPD's social distancing enforcement has been unfair and even racist, because about ninety percent of the people arrested in encounters related to social distancing enforcement have been black or Hispanic.

"The NYPD shouldn't be thrown at this particular pandemic — at this health problem," says David Galarza, a volunteer with a police watchdog group called the Justice Committee. "It only leads to more criminalization and violence against our people, people of color."

The city has pushed back on the racism charge, pointing out that in nearly a million police encounters with the public over social distancing, only a few dozen people have been arrested, and usually for unrelated infractions.

Earlier this week, the mayor said the role of police in the pandemic had become an "ideological issue," but he insisted officers should remain "part of the equation."

"That is my decision, that's what we are doing," he said. "Because we cannot have a situation where social distancing comes unglued because there's no enforcement."

But it's not just left-of-center activists calling for police to back off; online, conservative groups are circulating the video of a Port of Seattle police officer named Greg Anderson, sitting in his patrol car, in uniform, calling on his fellow officers not to enforce "tyrannical orders against the people."

"Every time time I look to the internet, I'm seeing people arrested or cited for going to church, for traveling on the roadways, for going surfing," he says in the video. "What you're doing is you're widening the gap between public trust and law enforcement officers."
The Port of Seattle has put Anderson on paid administrative leave while it investigates him for violating its social media policy.

Police departments are worried about getting caught in the political cross-fire over social distancing. Texas governor Greg Abbott recently went on Fox News to criticize big city police departments in his state for enforcing the state's emergency rules too aggressively.

"In Houston, they were issuing fines and potential jail time for anybody who refused to wear a mask," he said.

The Houston police department says it never issued any fines and made no arrests related to masks, and Chief Art Acevedo accused the governor of "hypocrisy," saying Abbott was trying to score political points with his conservative base at the expense of the police.

"The men and women in blue don't need leaders who are more interested in politics than in public safety," Acevedo told NPR. He says enforcing the governor's emergency order will not be a "law enforcement priority" for his department.

Sue Rahr, a former sheriff who runs the police academy in Washington state, says public health enforcement is an awkward assignment for police, especially in the current political environment.

"Clearly, the public is not united on what should be done in the community to keep people safe from the virus," she says. "And so the cops really do get trapped in the middle."

One solution may be to move officers back from the front lines of enforcement. In Florida, the city of Clearwater is using civilian "ambassadors" to roam the beaches remind the public to keep social distance, while the police hang back. Police chief Dan Slaughter says the intention is to put communication ahead of enforcement.
"All that communication is to avoid the officer having to get involved in something that we would quite honesty wish we would not have to be involved in," he says.
It's an approach being tried in New York, too. Despite Mayor de Blasio's insistence that the NYPD stay in the mix, he says the city is also preparing to send out about 2,300 civilian ambassadors to remind New Yorkers to keep their distance, as the weather warms up."

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness @missy !! Given what the tri-state area has gone through, this behavior feels very selfish and foolhardy to me. I pray we don’t have a spike as I am pretty sure there will be no more lock downs.
Were the past three months for naught?!?! :angryfire:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness @missy !! Given what the tri-state area has gone through, this behavior feels very selfish and foolhardy to me. I pray we don’t have a spike as I am pretty sure there will be no more lock downs.
Were the past three months for naught?!?! :angryfire:

I feel the same and honestly if I had to answer your question above I would say yes we are going to have a spike. In my mind there is little question of that. :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fresh outbreak tests Berlin’s resilience

One of Berlin’s trendiest neighborhoods risks becoming a different kind of hotspot, thanks to Covid-19.

Just as the city was getting used to life after lockdown, an entire apartment building in the southeastern Neukoelln borough was quarantined over the weekend. The discovery that 70 tenants have contracted the virus, with more still to be tested, sent alarm bells ringing as authorities across the country look for signs of a feared second wave of infections.

By most measures, Germany has handled the health crisis in exemplary fashion. Chancellor Angela Merkel has emphasized the need for caution when it comes to relaxing restrictions on everyday life. Meanwhile, Germany implemented an aggressive testing program that helped keep casualties relatively low in Europe’s most populous country.

mail

The Corona-Warn tracing app in Berlin.

Photographer: Krisztian Bocsi/Bloomberg

Now the focus will be on how well it tackles smaller outbreaks. In Neukoelln, hundreds of tenants have been quarantined in an effort to limit the damage, according to local media. There are six mobile health teams on the case and authorities are tracking contacts of a pastor who lived in the apartment block, to see whether the virus could be spreading to other parts of the city as well.

After months of development, Germany this week unveiled a new weapon to fight the disease: a tracing app that, according to Health Minister Jens Spahn, will help break infection chains and allow the country to manage the return to normality more quickly.

Using the software is voluntary, so its success will depend on how many people sign up for it. As the infection rate creeps up, increasing the chances of a new bout of infections, the government will be counting on technology—and the public’s cooperation—to keep the virus at bay.—Andrew Blackman

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep we're spiking. the opening spike would not have been too bad without the protests, but now you have more spikes relating to it, though some governors don't want to count those numbers (why I don't know all the numbers should be counted)

School is slated to begin in August here which isn't that far away and they're scrambling to know what to do.... I've heard that some districts will do mostly distance learning. I sincerely hope they stop using zoom though....

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep we're spiking. the opening spike would not have been too bad without the protests,

One could say that the protests would not have been so bad without the premature openings that took place without any regard to the guidelines that had previously been put into place.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am worried that even in our (the tri-state area of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut) area that was so hard hit that people are acting like the irresponsible people who were never touched by covid19 and and feel invulnerable. In other words, missy, I am with you. This article supports what you and I have been saying. It says that people in our area are ceasing to take care. Even though we just lived through a terrible crisis with people dying before EMTs could respond to their 911 calls and people had to wait for days to be seen in Emergency Rooms.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am worried that even in our (the tri-state area of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut) area that was so hard hit that people are acting like the irresponsible people who were never touched by covid19 and and feel invulnerable. In other words, missy, I am with you. This article supports what you and I have been saying. It says that people in our area are ceasing to take care. Even though we just lived through a terrible crisis with people dying before EMTs could respond to their 911 calls and people had to wait for days to be seen in Emergency Rooms.

For the life of me I will never understand some/many people. Never. I mean all the sacrifices everyone has made over the past few months might all be for naught should we experience it all over again and maybe even worse.

All the people who are potentially affected. All ages. All backgrounds. No one is immune despite what some think. Yes certain groups experience it worse than others but still a risk for almost everyone. I have many friends who are physicians- many who worked directly with Covid 19 patients. All these people will be at risk once again should the pandemic take hold again like it did before or even worse than before.

This could be controlled if people would exhibit better sense and more care. If not for yourselves for your loved ones. For the front line workers. For healthcare workers. For delivery people. Supermarket workers. Truck drivers. All the people whose lives are at risk by working to keep things going despite the pandemic.

Sorry for the vent. It's just upsetting. I see it coming and am truly powerless to stop it. Social distance please people and wear a mask when you cannot social distance at the very least. Please.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One could say that the protests would not have been so bad without the premature openings that took place without any regard to the guidelines that had previously been put into place.

No, the protests would have been bad regardless. Again, The issues at hand was a smoking powder keg, that went back a very long time....not something that was just 2-3 weeks in the making.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Texas is really expanding their cases it's scary. Since Abbott opened the state up all hospitalization rate is rising also. OK is a mess as is FL.. I'm not sure what to think anymore, most people don't get really very sick but if I got it, I would.. no one seems to care all that much about people over 55 and as you have pointed out, younger people get it and get sick too.. Sad state of affairs, good news is DACA is on hold and all Americans can hope to not be discriminated because of what they do in the bedroom or their inner self. I guess anyway..

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw the story of a young newscaster who lost her father to covid19 when he returned to his job in a casino. He had diabetes, but needed to work to pay for his insulin as well as his other needs. The state where he lived (Arizona?) has just decided to allow localities to rquire masks for the first time. That casino also decided to close down. I am still feeling terrible, wanting to cry. I saw a picture of this young woman's father. It made it personal. I kept thinking, he needed his medicine. He had a God given right to his medicine. I feel so helpless. I just said a prayer.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found the story I mentioned above on the 'net, which is not where I heard it. Here is a link to it for anyone who is interested.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results