shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
This is what my niece wrote on her FB, she is an RN in Phoenix, AZ.

Post from a friend XY. Just one hallway on my unit What you can't see in this picture:

That we're having to paralyze patients to help them breathe on the ventilator

That it takes 5 or more of us to flip patients who are on ventilators onto their stomachs to help them breathe

That we are now above the capacity limits for the ICU, but just got told we're approved to take more patients (at 135% capacity now, but told expect to go to 150%)
That each nurse is taking more patients for a higher patient to nurse ratio
The defeat and exhaustion in each nurse, respiratory therapist, aide, and physician
The breakdowns that staff have on and off the unit; the bags under our eyes and marks on our faces from the masks and face shields we wear for our shift; the fact that we can't sleep even though we are exhausted and know we have to go back and do it all again.
So please don't tell me it's fake, not that bad, taken out of proportion for political reasons, etc......we see first-hand how bad it is and don't care about the political aspect, only in seeing less patients come into the hospital

This is a terrible first hand picture of the state of things in the US.

I hear stories like this from a friend works at the ICU in downtown Austin, TX said they are on mandatory overtime and 8 nurses have gotten Covid most likely not from direct contact with the patients but from socializing outside of work. They believe it was then spread in the break room.

TX Gov Abbott paused further phases of re-opening ... translation restaurants still at 75% occupancy, bars at 50%, and no face masks required. :wall:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian, I just don't see the point, what is the hurry? You are going to have kids in August September wearing masks in stifling hot buildings with no air conditioning. Then mask breaks....once the mask comes off any precautions have been negated. Little kids are going to be touching inside and outside and possibly swapping, it is just ridiculous.

Then the bus situation, there are not enough busses for everyone to socially distance, so kids crammed on the buses then going to school all day five days a week. They are insane.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian, I just don't see the point, what is the hurry? You are going to have kids in August September wearing masks in stifling hot buildings with no air conditioning. Then mask breaks....once the mask comes off any precautions have been negated. Little kids are going to be touching inside and outside and possibly swapping, it is just ridiculous.

Then the bus situation, there are not enough busses for everyone to socially distance, so kids crammed on the buses then going to school all day five days a week. They are insane.

I don't see masks working with kids!

They mean well but they are vague and grubby little beings! There have been so many times in my life where I've copped a hand print on a pretty new dress no matter how hard he tries to watch what he's touching (haha DS7 is always persuading me to wear my best clothes out with him!). You just expect to be covered in grease!

I had a thought last night. Someone was upset that kids would spread the disease to the older generation.

What if we just banned kids from places where they don't need to be like Costco etc. No kid needs to go shopping really.

Likewise older people shouldn't hang around playgrounds, public pools, play centres (why would you anyway?)

If you want to take the risk and see your grandkids that's on you. But I still think there might be a way to keep children away from older people.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another local report revealed that the governor wants schools open five days a week and on a normal schedule so employers know what to expect and can count on their employees. EMPLOYERS...ugh, talk about a blantanf disregard for health.

Now let's not get it all twisted, I understand and empathize with people that have to work BUT everybody needs to compromise a little, yes including business owners, this is not permanent and it hasn't even been a year that this new virus has been here.

I guess there is a reason for not being employed now, gives me the option to keep my kids home, wish everyone had the option to do so.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another local report revealed that the governor wants schools open five days a week and on a normal schedule so employers know what to expect and can count on their employees. EMPLOYERS...ugh, talk about a blantanf disregard for health.

Now let's not get it all twisted, I understand and empathize with people that have to work BUT everybody needs to compromise a little, yes including business owners, this is not permanent and it hasn't even been a year that this new virus has been here.

I guess there is a reason for not being employed now, gives me the option to keep my kids home, wish everyone had the option to do so.

When the teachers start getting sick (which WILL happen) then they'll really be screwed.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hola Scouty, I live about 20 miles north of downtown Austin and it's scary down there, I live in Williamson County (which is a VERY RED area so we don't hear as much).. My niece had worse info this morning, a break your heart post.. she's a special young woman, a great mom and a dedicated nurse.

Austin bars are closed again, Austin hospitals only allow non elective surgery since the hospitals are filling up.. Austin is FULL of young people (20-50) and they are the ones getting infected and sick, most people in the hospitals are not 65 plus btw.. I am amazed at the lack of face mask wearing (had to go to Austin for some doc appts yesterday and Tuesday).. my doctors were all doing the mask but anywhere else, nope, the governor is a moron, a right winger who thought it was much about nothing and our Lt governor wished all of boomers a good life and now get Covid-19 and die to help our grandchildren, WTF! you say, truth. Texas is a hole. I'm here for my son, DIL and 14 month old granddaughter, I lived in Austin for almost 18 yrs, moved back to the great NE and came back after 5 years 'cause the hubster hated winter (which I love and fall is the best time of year, I am happier in the north) but I'm here and love my family so it's all okay. Heat sucks.

I thank all the nurses and health care professionals here in Austin, they are the best.

I guess Scouty one could say my rant is now off ;-) peace.

This is a terrible first hand picture of the state of things in the US.

I hear stories like this from a friend works at the ICU in downtown Austin, TX said they are on mandatory overtime and 8 nurses have gotten Covid most likely not from direct contact with the patients but from socializing outside of work. They believe it was then spread in the break room.

TX Gov Abbott paused further phases of re-opening ... translation restaurants still at 75% occupancy, bars at 50%, and no face masks required. :wall:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The latest from my niece in AZ (RN) on the front line of Covid-19 there. This is an update posting from one of the nurses in my nieces nurses group (covid-19 group) scary times and I wish my niece could stay home (she is 38) but they need her income. I also recognize this is anecdotal and one can believe or not, but I can say these are real RNs in AZ on the line.

Repost from other nurses ‍⚕ in COVID support group Hospitals in AZ will officially hit surge capacity next week but already making space for COVID, stay home stay safe :

One of my frontline worker friends posted in one of my medical COVID groups “What do your hospitals look like currently?” Below are real responses from actual hospital employees, i.e. frontline RNs, RTs, and physicians. If you want a really accurate picture of what Arizona is looking like then here it is:

Banner Desert:

3 COVID telemetry units full (❤ patients)
1 medsurg (regular floor) COVID unit full
2/3 ICU dedicated to COVID only, 3 patients to 1 RN ratio (normally 2:1)
Expanded regular ER into pediatric ER
Using some peds floors for adults
Code purple (hospital full or approaching full and not enough staff to cover upcoming shifts)
Interventional radiology (vascular procedures) filling separate, additional ICU

Banner Boswell:

Converting several regular units to COVID. Stopped elective surgeries

Banner Baywood:

ICU 3:1 ratio. Code purple

Banner Estrella:

Doubling up patients in rooms
6 COVID units

Banner Cardons Children’s Hospital:

3 of 5 floors dedicated to adults
ER has lots of hallway beds (patients don’t get a real room)

Banner University Phoenix:

2 of 3 ICUs dedicated to COVID.
Progressive Care Unit (PCU) dedicated to COVID patients with a second one coming soon.
2 COVID medsurg floors

Valleywise Hospital:

2 COVID ICUs, 4 COVID medsurg units
Code lavender (same as code purple)
Asked for 26 travel RNs, only received 6

St Joe's

4 COVID ICUs. Now placing double beds in rooms. 64 beds currently occupied
Stopped elective surgeries today.
Difficulty accommodating traumas, strokes, brain aneurysms due to shortage of ICU beds.
Pulmonologist Intensivist (critical care lung doctor) working 7 days a week.

Dignity Chandler:

27 vented COVID - will double patients in rooms once they get to 32, max 64
3 medsurg floors COVID

Mercy Gilbert:

2 ICUs COVID full
2 medsurg floors COVID full

Honor Health Shea:

30 medsurg COVID beds full
One ICU unit full, took 5 beds from the “clean” (non-COVID) ICU.

Honor Health Osborn:

40 COVID medsurg beds full
3/4 ICUs dedicated to COVID and overflowing into ER & PACU (post anesthesia care unit)
10 rooms available for COVID patients but no one to staff them

Honorhealth Deer Valley:

PCCU (30 beds) all COVID
Now floor 4S (24 beds) COVID
They are clearing out floor 4N (27 beds)to make it COVID also.

Mountain Vista in Mesa.

Almost max capacity

24 COVID rule out’s on the floor and 12 Covid rule out’s in ICU.
Only 4 beds open across all units today.
ER is holding COVID r/out’s (until they can find a bed) if need be.

Helicopter pilot from Yuma medical center flying patients to Phx because Yuma is full

Tucson Medical Center called me at 9pm saying they are in desperate need of ICU NPs and will require an 8-12 week contract. (I’m not trained in critical care).

*Lots of stories of Arizona healthcare workers breaking down crying at work, calling out sick therefore being very short staffed for the next shift, and actually getting sick with COVID. EVERYONE is working overtime. Healthcare workers are getting slammed. My heart goes out to all of them ❤❤❤❤❤

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
hola Scouty, I live about 20 miles north of downtown Austin and it's scary down there, I live in Williamson County (which is a VERY RED area so we don't hear as much).. My niece had worse info this morning, a break your heart post.. she's a special young woman, a great mom and a dedicated nurse.

Austin bars are closed again, Austin hospitals only allow non elective surgery since the hospitals are filling up.. Austin is FULL of young people (20-50) and they are the ones getting infected and sick, most people in the hospitals are not 65 plus btw.. I am amazed at the lack of face mask wearing (had to go to Austin for some doc appts yesterday and Tuesday).. my doctors were all doing the mask but anywhere else, nope, the governor is a moron, a right winger who thought it was much about nothing and our Lt governor wished all of boomers a good life and now get Covid-19 and die to help our grandchildren, WTF! you say, truth. Texas is a hole. I'm here for my son, DIL and 14 month old granddaughter, I lived in Austin for almost 18 yrs, moved back to the great NE and came back after 5 years 'cause the hubster hated winter (which I love and fall is the best time of year, I am happier in the north) but I'm here and love my family so it's all okay. Heat sucks.

I thank all the nurses and health care professionals here in Austin, they are the best.

I guess Scouty one could say my rant is now off ;-) peace.

haha, thanks for the rant :))I have the same sentiments as you regarding the Gov of Texas. My question is, if he is "pro-life" why does he not enforce face masks which are proven to slow transmission and save lives. Rhetorical question, I think we know the answer...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When the teachers start getting sick (which WILL happen) then they'll really be screwed.

I am also in Connecticut. My sister-in-law teaches first grade in the public school system. She has been the only family member going physically near her mother, who is about to turn 90 in November. (My brother does his mother-in-law's grocery shopping and runs errands but cannot take her to her doctor's appointments or walk her into the ladies room.) If my sister-in-law goes back into the classroom, I don't know how this will affect her mother.

I am actually wondering if my sister-in-law might retire.I think it is a bad mistake to open the schools completely here. Why not have staggered classes on different days to avoid large groups and crowding? If they have to open at all.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also in Connecticut. My sister-in-law teaches first grade in the public school system. She has been the only family member going physically near her mother, who is about to turn 90 in November. (My brother does his mother-in-law's grocery shopping and runs errands but cannot take her to her doctor's appointments or walk her into the ladies room.) If my sister-in-law goes back into the classroom, I don't know how this will affect her mother.

I am actually wondering if my sister-in-law might retire.I think it is a bad mistake to open the schools completely here. Why not have staggered classes on different days to avoid large groups and crowding? If they have to open at all.

NYC is obviously still changing every minute but we will have to have an alternating schedule to have kids in at all with social distancing. Otherwise we just don't have the space. If I was eligible for retirement this would absolutely be the year to take it. So far the DOE is giving multiple options and leaving it to the school to decide. My school is looking at alternating weeks.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Computer is dead waiting on parts. I need a drink.

Oh and bars are closed in Fl. Our numbers are nuts... think there is 7 test centers in pbc alone.

Most southern counties here are requiring masks now. Pbc said they will send to those who have homesteads here. Will try to get more details on that.

And nextdoor is still lit...lol

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DS lives in Texas. Last weekend there were 200+ youngsters at a party in Lakeway, many of whom were waiting on the results of their Covid tests :doh:

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
My DS lives in Texas. Last weekend there were 200+ youngsters at a party in Lakeway, many of whom were waiting on the results of their Covid tests :doh:

Yep all so they could play beer pong.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agreed. Unless the school is modern or in the south I don't know how many kids will even bother. Someone I work with is on a school board in a county in Virginia. He's getting hammered with people wanting to send their kids to school...like tomorrow...lol Teaching isn't a very easy job. I think some parents are ready to not have to do that.....

@Austina in addition to the protests they're having covid parties here. I saw one being advertised on Nextdoor. plenty of people sent notice to the sherrif's office (gonna be interesting).

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian, oh believe that I am well over distance learning and being my kids' teacher. I bet there are a lot of parents that have a whole new appreciation for teachers!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps stick this on Nextdoor for all those in denial about the effects of Covid

You should show this to anyone who still thinks they shouldn’t wear a mask

Janet LaFiandra Weiner
Repost from a nurse friend who works with ventilators:

For people who don't understand what it means to be on a ventilator but want to take the chance to go out or back to work....

For starters, it is NOT an oxygen mask that is put over the mouth while the patient comfortably lies down and reads journals.

Ventilation for Covid-19 is a painful intubation that goes down your throat and stays there until you live or you die.

It is done during anesthesia for 2 to 3 weeks without moving, often upside down, with a tube deposited from your mouth up to the air pipe and allows you to breathe to the rhythm of the lung machine.

Patient can't talk or eat or do anything natural - the machine keeps you alive. Discomfort and pain they feel from this means that medical experts must administer sedatives and pain meds to ensure pipe tolerance as long as the machine is needed.

It's like being in an artificial coma. After 20 days from this treatment, a young patient loses 40% muscle mass and gets trauma in the mouth or voice cords, as well as possible lung or heart complications.

It is for this reason that old or already weak people can't stand treatment and die. Many of us are in this boat...so stay safe if you don't want to take the chance to end up here. This is NOT the flu!

They put a tube in your stomach, either through your nose or skin for liquid food, a sticky bag around your butt to collect diarrhea, one to collect urine, an IV for liquids and meds...
...an A-line to monitor your BP it is completely dependent on finely calculated with doses, teams of nurses, CRNA and MA to move your limbs every two hours and lie on a carpet circulating ice cold liquid to help reduce your 104° degree temp.

All of this while your loved ones cannot even come to visit. You will be alone in a room with your machine. Or your mother will. Or your father. Or your son or daughter. Or wife or husband.

But...you think wearing a mask is uncomfortable and humiliating.

Okay.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps stick this on Nextdoor for all those in denial about the effects of Covid

You should show this to anyone who still thinks they shouldn’t wear a mask

Janet LaFiandra Weiner
Repost from a nurse friend who works with ventilators:

For people who don't understand what it means to be on a ventilator but want to take the chance to go out or back to work....

For starters, it is NOT an oxygen mask that is put over the mouth while the patient comfortably lies down and reads journals.

Ventilation for Covid-19 is a painful intubation that goes down your throat and stays there until you live or you die.

It is done during anesthesia for 2 to 3 weeks without moving, often upside down, with a tube deposited from your mouth up to the air pipe and allows you to breathe to the rhythm of the lung machine.

Patient can't talk or eat or do anything natural - the machine keeps you alive. Discomfort and pain they feel from this means that medical experts must administer sedatives and pain meds to ensure pipe tolerance as long as the machine is needed.

It's like being in an artificial coma. After 20 days from this treatment, a young patient loses 40% muscle mass and gets trauma in the mouth or voice cords, as well as possible lung or heart complications.

It is for this reason that old or already weak people can't stand treatment and die. Many of us are in this boat...so stay safe if you don't want to take the chance to end up here. This is NOT the flu!

They put a tube in your stomach, either through your nose or skin for liquid food, a sticky bag around your butt to collect diarrhea, one to collect urine, an IV for liquids and meds...
...an A-line to monitor your BP it is completely dependent on finely calculated with doses, teams of nurses, CRNA and MA to move your limbs every two hours and lie on a carpet circulating ice cold liquid to help reduce your 104° degree temp.

All of this while your loved ones cannot even come to visit. You will be alone in a room with your machine. Or your mother will. Or your father. Or your son or daughter. Or wife or husband.

But...you think wearing a mask is uncomfortable and humiliating.

Okay.

The unfortunate part is that these are some of the same people that want their pool and gym because "they pay for it as part of their HOA"

Then you got the ones that think its a fake made up virus (why is anyone's freaking guess...)

And then there's the ones that won't let anyone stomp on their freedoms.

Oh and the covid parties, because they want to catch it and "get it over with".

Florida is coasting to over 10K positives in a day's time, today was 9,585 new cases. granted some of it is backlog but some thats from the bars being open, thats from the protests, thats from the idiots chasing open beaches and boat docks, the hair saloons, the gyms in which they don't require people to wear masks (and some folks are just nasty at the gym as it is), the people that think "covid can't survive in hot weather", lets go to Florida, and especially from opening far too soon. If there's mass hospitalizations its gonna get ugly.

I'm ready to board up my house.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok so y'all....

Do as I say, not as I do. It doesn't matter that he had Covid, he was still at a restaurant that was well over the limit on people.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The unfortunate part is that these are some of the same people that want their pool and gym because "they pay for it as part of their HOA"

Then you got the ones that think its a fake made up virus (why is anyone's freaking guess...)

And then there's the ones that won't let anyone stomp on their freedoms.

Oh and the covid parties, because they want to catch it and "get it over with".

Florida is coasting to over 10K positives in a day's time, today was 9,585 new cases. granted some of it is backlog but some thats from the bars being open, thats from the protests, thats from the idiots chasing open beaches and boat docks, the hair saloons, the gyms in which they don't require people to wear masks (and some folks are just nasty at the gym as it is), the people that think "covid can't survive in hot weather", lets go to Florida, and especially from opening far too soon. If there's mass hospitalizations its gonna get ugly.

I'm ready to board up my house.

I’d invite you here @Arcadian if I thought we weren’t right behind you in numbers. #covid19ontherise

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This broke my spirit, we as American's have gone through a worship of our 'first responders' but when it comes down to it, the old and feeble responders? meh. While I get the blah blah about states rights, I'm really fed up with it, we NEED national guidance and compliance. If there were any WWII veterans at this home I so hope they weren't one of the people who died in pain, actually while it says here that some were without pain medication I feel angry, angry at this clusterf--k going on.. I am bereft for these veterans who died like this.

‘Total Pandemonium’: What Went Wrong at a Veterans’ Home Where 76 Died

snip:

One social worker told investigators, in a report released on Wednesday, that she “felt like it was moving the concentration camp, we were moving these unknowing veterans off to die.”

another snip:

A social worker described listening to the chief nursing officer say “something to the effect that this room will be dead by Sunday, so we will have more room here.” Another social worker recalled seeing a supervisor point to a room and say, “All this room will be dead by tomorrow.”

Several staff members told investigators that, in the confusion, some of the dying men did not receive adequate pain relief medication.

THIS is America.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@Bayek It breaks my heart reading this. There have been issues in the UK too, in nursing homes, clusters of cases, lack of PPE, discharging of older people with covid to nursing homes. I think a lot will come out in the coming months. ::)
I think there have been similar issues with those with disabilities in residential care.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
((((NIffler hon)))) thank you :( when I saw @Austina 's pix of the beach in GB I was shocked, but then why should I have been? Look at @missy 's pix of the shore. Take care sweetie xoxo

@Bayek It breaks my heart reading this. There have been issues in the UK too, in nursing homes, clusters of cases, lack of PPE, discharging of older people with covid to nursing homes. I think a lot will come out in the coming months. ::)
I think there have been similar issues with those with disabilities in residential care.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The one good thing about Florida is that they have from the very beginning protected nursing homes exceedingly well and there's tons down here. I think only 1 which was in Miami had major issues which was early on.

They will be closing beaches in Miami and Broward for the July 4 holiday. Likely the same here but no decision made just yet. Yes they closed the beaches here too for the holiday.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results