shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the support @missy, @mellowyellowgirl, @AGBF and @TooPatient. You guys really do make me feel better and justified in my stance.

I'm an Aussie too, what I find really annoying is that our government keeps saying that the virus has minimal impact on children. We don't actually know enough about the disease to know the full impact it will have on children yet and the other thing that I find incorrect is that they keep telling us that it is safe for children to go to school.

Say our kids catch the virus and get a mild version of it. My husband and I are much older parents, so I really have to wonder if they have actually thought about who kids can then spread it to and the impact of ALL of the people in those households....

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm an Aussie too, what I find really annoying is that our government keeps saying that the virus has minimal impact on children. We don't actually know enough about the disease to know the full impact it will have on children yet and the other thing that I find incorrect is that they keep telling us that it is safe for children to go to school.

Say our kids catch the virus and get a mild version of it. My husband and I are much older parents, so I really have to wonder if they have actually thought about who kids can then spread it to and the impact of ALL of the people in those households....

DH's life coach has a friend whose 9 year old survived a mild case of COVID and is now dying from PMIS (the other disease that COVID causes in kids). I wouldn't trust it to be safe for kids until a lot more is known. I am also skeptical of the claim that adults can infect kids but kids can't infect adults.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Covid 19 updates.

"
The UK’s coronavirus R value – the estimated number of people each person infects – is now between 0.7 and 1, according to the government’s scientific advisory group for emergencies (SAGE). Five days ago, UK prime minister Boris Johnson said R was between 0.5 and 0.9. The government’s science advisors say the increase is not a reflection of coronavirus restrictions being eased in England this week, but rather due to a lag in the data that is used to model the R value. We won’t know how easing restrictions has impacted the current R value for another three weeks.
"

" A skeptical president. Millions refusing to socially isolate themselves. An overburdened healthcare system. These are among the factors that are turning Brazil into the next coronavirus epicenter, and perhaps one of the worst affected countries in the world."

Models predict sharp rise in deaths in USA due to reopening measures.

"An internal Trump administration report expects about 200,000 daily cases by June.

The daily death toll will reach about 3,000 on June 1, according to an internal document obtained by The New York Times, a 70 percent increase from the current number of about 1,750.

The projections confirm the primary fear of public health experts: that a reopening of the economy will put the nation back where it was in mid-March, when cases were rising so rapidly in some parts of the country that patients were dying on gurneys in hospital hallways.

"

• Global coronavirus cases top 4.5 million: There are now 4,523,916 cases of coronavirus in the world as of Friday afternoon, according to Johns Hopkins University.
  • Museums in Italy to reopen: Italian museums are preparing to reopen on Monday, but the world-renowned Uffizi Gallery in Florence will "probably" wait another week because the government has not issued safety guidelines, the museum's press office told CNN on Friday.
  • Lombardy moves forward: Italy’s worst-hit coronavirus hotspot, Lombardy, will begin the process of reopening shops, restaurants and hair salons on Monday, the region’s governor said.
  • Saudi Arabia death toll: The country announced 2,307 new coronavirus cases in the past day — its highest daily increase yet, the country's health ministry tweeted Friday.
  • Ireland to ease restrictions: The Republic of Ireland will begin to relax its restrictions on Monday, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar confirmed today in a statement, outlining a roadmap for the gradual easing of emergency coronavirus restrictions over the weeks and months ahead.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH's life coach has a friend whose 9 year old survived a mild case of COVID and is now dying from PMIS (the other disease that COVID causes in kids). I wouldn't trust it to be safe for kids until a lot more is known. I am also skeptical of the claim that adults can infect kids but kids can't infect adults.

That is horrific. This is the information they have been telling us here that mostly it is mild in children and that children are way less likely to infect adults. I'm skeptical they know enough about the virus in children yet, until proven otherwise.....

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I think with the latest news about kids being sick recently around the US and actual death of several children , it will change the direction everything is going. Especially with school opening. I think many people were taking for granted that the virus wasn't affecting children the same way as adults but now I'm more concerned than ever...

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We will be homeschooling if they open the schools too soon. They’re talking about staggering start times and having the class size reduced, but none of these will keep my child out of a confined space with someone who is possibly infected.

2882FB05-1E1A-41FB-A803-99F98FBD9CEE.jpeg
Here is a map of a real restaurant that shows how a cluster was created by one infected person. Nine people were infected in the time it took to eat dinner. The air conditioner blew the virus around the room.

Classrooms are far more confined than this restaurant example. Class is at least an hour. We have AC running constantly. I don’t see how having children return to school will be safe at all.

@housecat, sorry, haven't had much ps time lately and going through my alerts realizes you asked me for that study some time ago. Didn't mean to ignore you.

I think you also might be interested in this

reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN21R1DB

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is horrific. This is the information they have been telling us here that mostly it is mild in children and that children are way less likely to infect adults. I'm skeptical they know enough about the virus in children yet, until proven otherwise.....

@missy has posted about this a few times already. The severe cases and typical warning signs seem to have occurred in NY most often ( blue /red inflamed extremities, then cytokine storm)

The stuff they communicated about CV in kids is still valid in that kids are more often asymptomatic. But there have been very worrysome symptoms in children ( notably in NY)

I'm a bit p'o d that basically early on kids were mostly brandished as germ vectors, but apparently they generally don't seem to infect adults, but get infected by them. (Interview by Chris Drosten, German virologist... Can't find in English right now)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient good Lord! I am so sad to read this about your husband's life coach's child. This is why my son isn't putting the baby in my avatar back into daycare yet, he's been paying for daycare for months, but till he's SURE she will be okay, it's a no go.

I am truly sorry for this person and their 9 year old.. sending peace and hugs and healing dust..

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@TooPatient I am so sorry for the family you know. I just can't find the words. These immune type reactions have been reported in the UK too. It's hugely worrying. I gave my son an extra big hug before bedtime! :blackeye:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, dang. Antibody test results are back. Both of us came up negative.

WTH could this be!?! What could have had so much impact and lasted so long? Negative on COVID-19, negative on all strains influenza, negative pneumonia. Lungs involved for me, but devastating on lungs for DH.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

WTH could this be!?! What could have had so much impact and lasted so long? Negative on COVID-19, negative on all strains influenza, negative pneumonia. Lungs involved for me, but devastating on lungs for DH.

Maybe the test is inaccurate.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe the test is inaccurate.

Could be. This was the blood test for IgG antibodies using the Abbott assay. I thought I read this was more reliable than most. One thing no one knows is how long antibodies are around. So if he got over the virus in, say, March and the rest of this is just lingering damage, maybe the antibodies are gone already. Maybe?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eta to my above post: it's the symptoms like Kawasaki syndrome die the kids, a

I'm sorry @TooPatient !!

Virtual hugs to you

Please bear in mind that there are a lot of false negatives floating around. I don't know with which test it is exactly that you took and if you might have used a different / more accurate test.

Antibody tests and Covid tests aren't the same, but since so much depends on this for you, maybe it's worth to look into a second test

The story about the young teenager who passed away from Covid in France has really stuck for me: she had two false negative results and only in the very end she had a positive results...

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eta to my above post: it's the symptoms like Kawasaki syndrome die the kids, a

I'm sorry @TooPatient !!

Virtual hugs to you

Please bear in mind that there are a lot of false negatives floating around. I don't know with which test it is exactly that you took and if you might have used a different / more accurate test.

Antibody tests and Covid tests aren't the same, but since so much depends on this for you, maybe it's worth to look into a second test

The story about the young teenager who passed away from Covid in France has really stuck for me: she had two false negative results and only in the very end she had a positive results...

Two negative nasal swabs for COVID-19. Unknown details on type. The antibody test was a blood test for IgG using Abbott assay. The good news is that the antibody test is not in his record (different place without his Dr involved) so we can leave it off. The other tests have high false negative rates.

Whatever it is, he has been very sick and his manager told him to not return to work until 100% recovered (work from home so not even potentially exposing anyone). STD should be covering this. Should. We'll see.

ETA: should as in this is what they are there for. This is why we pay for the coverage. Haven't heard from them yet so don't know how much of a fight it will be.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient I hope things work out for you guys re insurance and work and I hope your DH starts feeling much better very soon.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this link to be an interesting read.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I'm sorry - I know this must be so frustrating. For what it's worth, as you've seen elsewhere, I keep reading again and again on the medical professional and research subreddits that both the tests for active infections and for antibodies are terribly inaccurate, including the one you had.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another link worth reading.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend of mine tested positive for antibodies. She never got sick, no coughs, nothing. In her late 60's. Only got tested because the housekeeper got sick (housekeeper lives there with her 2 kids). her boytoy (lol) also tested positive for antibodies.

@TooPatient I'm very sorry to hear about the negative test. it would have absolutely explained what was going on. They tell you that the tests are finicky and I believe it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
masknomask.jpg

Simple and selfless.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting this, missy. I am highly skeptical by nature and do not accept statistics simply because I see them on a chart someone put up on the Internet. (No offense intended.) In this case, however, even if the percentages are a trifle off and some highly esoteric research were to prove that this chart is not 100% on target, I believe it captures the essence of what masks do. It makes it clear. Your posting it was a public service.

Thank you.

Deb :wavey:

masknomask.jpg

Simple and selfless.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As soon as practical, DH will get a new Dr. This is crazy! I let the Dr know about the work situation and the insurance will be sending a form to fill out in order to be paid medical leave (along with protection against losing the job as no requirement to hold it otherwise). His reply was that there is no reason why anyone would still be having difficulty with oxygen levels after a few weeks of using Albuterol and Flovent so he should go to ER for assessment. (Because Dr offices through this medical group are still not seeing patients in person.)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As soon as practical, DH will get a new Dr. This is crazy! I let the Dr know about the work situation and the insurance will be sending a form to fill out in order to be paid medical leave (along with protection against losing the job as no requirement to hold it otherwise). His reply was that there is no reason why anyone would still be having difficulty with oxygen levels after a few weeks of using Albuterol and Flovent so he should go to ER for assessment. (Because Dr offices through this medical group are still not seeing patients in person.)

You will come through this because you never give up.

Hugs,
Deb

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results