shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you going to wear the skinny jeans and leggings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay I typically never buy clothes at Target (ever since the one time I bought a shirt and it literally FELL APART in the wash)...but now you guys are intriguing me with the skinny jeans. I don''t really want to ''invest'' in my expensive brand jeans for a trend we are not sure will be around for more than a year or two. I might have to go check out what they have!!

laine

Brilliant_Rock
A large portion of my wardrobe is from target, and I''ve never had problems with their quality. There are items there I would suspect would fall apart like that, but I stay away from those. They have clothes that are well constructed (particularly their "designer" lines), you can generally tell by looking at the items at the store which are going to be better quality.

As for the skinny jeans, I can embrace the straight leg (bootcuts are nice, but i''m all for getting rid of the huge flares), but I just can''t come to terms with the skin-tight-around-the-ankles, need-zippers-to-get-them-over-your-feet styles. That just screams 80s to me. Plus they looked really, really bad on me--I tried.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, ID, those are the ones I got! So have you worn yours in public yet?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
those levis are tempting too since i saw them online. ID did you say what size you got. i might do the online order thing just to see. i am SO lazy about going shopping in the actual stores lately.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Christa--No I have not worn mine in public yet. Maybe tomorrow. I can wear jeans to work on Fridays. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to face my coworkers yet....so I'll try on the whole outfit tonight. I'll report in tomorrow with what I actually did.

Mara--the Target jeans I got are a 10. I'm bigger than you so I definitely would go down in size. I could fit in the 8 but they were too tight looking and I wasn't going for the super skinny painted on look.

I like this look from Banana Republic for winter. I love the boots, but don't want to pay $200 for them either. I'm not sure I am tall and thin enough to pull this off. I'm only 5'4".

br-otf-out05006odv01.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay so i went to the mall today...i hit up BR and then i went to AE and got the pretty shirt and also the romance shirt. AE is hilarious because i swear most people in there are tiny, and the clerk guy is all telling me that ''the big sizes are towards the back'' as i am looking at the racks. as if i''m a hippo. okay 16 year old dude. i''m ONLY looking for an 8. hehehe. anyway, i ended up trying on their straight jean in an 8 and it fit perfectly! it''s super cute, low rise but most of my sweaters are super long OR i do the layered thing anyway so that is fine. the funny thing is that i was trying them on and i guess the style now is the pockets to go down kind of below your butt onto your leg and i asked the gal if that is how they were supposed to look...and she goes yeah see how mine are. and then i said it feels weird. and she goes (i swear do they train them to make you feel like a retard?) ''well get used to it, that is how all the jeans are nowadays''....she said it with a smile and i don''t think she was being mean at all but i was like yeah okay...what am i? an old lady? i knew that.
9.gif
hehee. anyway so i got the straight jeans too. i felt better when i saw a lady in her 50''s buying a bunch of stuff too, so i wasn''t the only non 15 year old in there.

so then i went to nordstroms and uh oh i got into trouble there. i got the cutest pair of Charles David shoes!!!! i know this is the skinny pant thread so i''ll post them over in the fall must haves. hehee.

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
I love Target. I picked up two pairs of Mossimo Skinny Jeans in the blue wash. The ones were a little snug so I got the three''s and I couldn''t be happier. Although cheap compared to J Brand, they weren''t $14.00, I think I paid $50.00 for two pairs. I don''t think I''ll ever wear boot cut or flared jeans ever again.

For the ladies that are sitting on the fence with regard to this trend, go out and try several pairs on and I promise you you will find a pair that will suit you. Two months ago I was saying "never, no way, no how" now look at me.

Shoes that work with skinny jeans:

Tucked into Flat Boots
Wellington''s
Wedges
Round toe Mary Janes
Ballet Flats if you are tall
Round toe Chunky heels

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2006 7:11:02 PM
Author: Mara
okay so i went to the mall today...i hit up BR and then i went to AE and got the pretty shirt and also the romance shirt. AE is hilarious because i swear most people in there are tiny, and the clerk guy is all telling me that ''the big sizes are towards the back'' as i am looking at the racks. as if i''m a hippo. okay 16 year old dude. i''m ONLY looking for an 8. hehehe. anyway, i ended up trying on their straight jean in an 8 and it fit perfectly! it''s super cute, low rise but most of my sweaters are super long OR i do the layered thing anyway so that is fine. the funny thing is that i was trying them on and i guess the style now is the pockets to go down kind of below your butt onto your leg and i asked the gal if that is how they were supposed to look...and she goes yeah see how mine are. and then i said it feels weird. and she goes (i swear do they train them to make you feel like a retard?) ''well get used to it, that is how all the jeans are nowadays''....she said it with a smile and i don''t think she was being mean at all but i was like yeah okay...what am i? an old lady? i knew that.
9.gif
hehee. anyway so i got the straight jeans too. i felt better when i saw a lady in her 50''s buying a bunch of stuff too, so i wasn''t the only non 15 year old in there.

so then i went to nordstroms and uh oh i got into trouble there. i got the cutest pair of Charles David shoes!!!! i know this is the skinny pant thread so i''ll post them over in the fall must haves. hehee.
Hehe I buy lots of stuffs from AE, and I was kind of worried that I wasn''t dressing my age. I don''t think they give them a whole lots of training there since they mostly deal with fairly young customers. I haven''t try their straight jeans, but I have their hipster and I love how their jeans fit on me. Would their straight jeans fit inside boots?

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I''m still not sure about tucking them into boots . . . and I''m just not into the flat boots yet. Figuring out what shoes to wear with them is still my biggest problem. I don''t always want to wear heels with my jeans!

Mara, you''re right about the pockets. The Target ones are like that too--a little lower than I''d prefer. To me it kind of looks like my pants are falling down. Reminds me of how my dad could never quite get the pants up over his belly to where they belonged.
9.gif
I guess that makes me an old lady too . . .

I CAN''T believe they really made the comment about "big sizes"! Did you have a comeback for that?!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Mara--I feel better now. I wondered about the pockets on the newer jeans too. They are so much lower than what I am used to.

Funny, in my area American Eagle is the store where old the "old ladies like me" shop. The teen wouldn't be caught dead in that store.

So, I wore my new jeans to work today. My coworkers like them and think they look good. They are stretching out a bit and I was told I probably need the 8. So, I'm going to go back to the store this weekend and see if I can find them in an 8. Although they were just a bit snug at the store before, they will probably stretch out and be just about right. If not, I still plan on loosing more weight so that will be a new incentive.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
qtie...well i saw online that their straight jeans that i bought, the 777 straight are 15.5" leg opening and the skinny 777 are 14.5" leg opening. so i would imagine if the 14.5 fit inside boots then an extra inch would be doable? but i''m not positive on wearing them with boots yet. if i did want to do the boot thing i would probably just get a skinny jean JUST for boots. because i hate when the jeans bunch inside the boots..drives me nuts.

the problem with doing the boots over jeans is that the new boots that BR and other stores have out are SPECFICIALLY for fitting over jeans. so they are much wider. with my skinny-ish calves, my legs already float in typical non-stretch boots, so if i got those BR boots, i could almost only wear them with jeans which would bug me. since boots are expensive to buy only for one purpose/use. so now i am like damn! i am not sure what to do. i really want a boot to wear with my BR short cuffed pants as well but i need one that is more fitted not a jean boot.

lol about a comeback on the kid''s ''bigger sizes''...i just smirked. i mean obviously the kid is like 16, with pimples all over and he was just trying to be helpful. i''m sure compared to the size 2''s they see in there daily (they have a TON of clothes in size 2. it was like 20 size 2''s and then 2 6''s and 2 8s and 2 10s or something on the racks), i am like a BIG SIZE to them. hahaa. i didn''t take offense, i just thought it was funny, esp in light of the gals'' comment in the dressing room about ''jeans nowadays'' like i am wearing a potato sack most of the time or something.
5.gif

ID...yeah these 8''s fit perfectly but i am sure they will stretch out after wearing esp since they are low rise. that pocket on the butt/thigh made me feel like i had to pull up the pants more! definitely something to get used to. i figure after i dry the jeans a few times (or correction, after GREG accidentally puts them in the dryer a few times for me) that they will be fine to wear even with stretching. it''s easier to make slightly bigger jeans smaller than it is to make slightly small jeans bigger i have found!!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I went back to Target at lunch today and got the size 8 jeans. They had 3 of them left and they are all a little bit different...it''s the strangest thing. Some are longer than others, 1 pair is wider at the waist. Bad quality control there. I bought all 3 pairs since I didn''t have time to try anything on at lunch. I''ll keep whichever one fits best.

Mara--my husband will put my jeans in too. I can deal with the shrinkage from side to side, it''s the length that shrinks and then really bugs me. I hate it when my jeans shrink so they don''t look good with heels!

I really like the boot idea, but I''m trying to decide what I would wear them with too. Realistically, wearing them over jeans is just a fad so that can''t be the main reason for purchase. I''m thinking they could be cute with skirts for work.....but still hard to justify the money. I could get faux suede ones at Target for less than $40 but not sure if that will give the look I want or the keep-me-dry-from-the-snow shoes that I need.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m wearing my new jeans today and they are awesome. i might have to go back and get the lighter wash straight as well. i paired them with a ruffled edge dark green tank from BR and a cable heathered light tan sweater from JCrew and my dark brown and black ''snakeskin'' ballet flats from Nordies. the weather is fallish today so finally i can start wearing my fall clothes! hehe.

in terms of the jeans i think these are as ''skinny'' as i''d like to go. the ankles are pretty fitted...i think anything more and it''d be too funny!!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I really got a laugh about Mara''s tale of her shopping experience in AE and the 16 yr. old telling her that the bigger sizes are toward the back like a size 8 is huge. Sheesh. I went into Abercrombie and Fitch to try some skinny jeans on and feltreally strange since I am 40-something. I think they were all looking at me like "What is she doing here?" After saying I would NEVER try this trend, I actually liked the jeans. I however, didn''t like the price. I think they were $60.00 which seemed like a lot for jeans I might not wear as much and might go out. I have typically never bought clothes from Target because I think of them as poor quality but hearing all of you talk about how you like their skinny jeans and the low price has made me think that I may run over there and check the jeans out.

I still love my bootcut jeans and I will never give those up-ha ha!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
cind the AE jeans were $45. i like that range because then it''s not too exp but it''s not too cheap either because if i like them i want them to last at least a year. i might check out the target ones too.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2006 4:35:15 PM
Author: IslandDreams
Christa--No I have not worn mine in public yet. Maybe tomorrow. I can wear jeans to work on Fridays. I''m not sure I''m brave enough to face my coworkers yet....so I''ll try on the whole outfit tonight. I''ll report in tomorrow with what I actually did.

Mara--the Target jeans I got are a 10. I''m bigger than you so I definitely would go down in size. I could fit in the 8 but they were too tight looking and I wasn''t going for the super skinny painted on look.

I like this look from Banana Republic for winter. I love the boots, but don''t want to pay $200 for them either. I''m not sure I am tall and thin enough to pull this off. I''m only 5''4''.
ID, I think this look is totally flattering for petite or taller women! Especially in the colors of the outfit you posted--the dark wash of the denim helps create a long, lean line. One of my friends is your height, and she has a very generous bustline, and she looks GREAT in black turtlenecks and dark jeans. I haven''t seen her in the jeans-tucked-into-boots look yet, but my guess is that she will look fab. Sometimes she wears more flow-y tops and they are not as flattering as a streamlined look such as the Banana Republic one...she''s never asked my opinion, but if she did I would definitely tell her. (course that''s just me, and comes from years of working in retail and knowing that people usually appreciate honesty)
2.gif

On the AE note: I''m happy to hear some of your experiences. I''m 29, and normally I shop online at AE/Abercrombie...but when I want to return something if I''m at the mall I always feel like the kids working there are like "what is this old lady doing here?"
7.gif
I actually need to get out of that mindset--when I was in college I worked in some "junior" stores and I don''t remember ever thinking that way when I saw women who were clearly not 19!

As for skinny jeans, I haven''t tried any on yet, but I honestly think the only way I could wear them would be with boots over them. Boots with a heel, also, because even though I''m 5''10" my torso is a bit on the long side, and my legs look longer with a heel. No flats for moi! (Good thing I married a guy who is 6''5"!)
35.gif

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was absolutely thrilled when I started seeing fashion spreads/flyers with leggings under mini-skirts...because now I don't have to argue about the skirts with my 13 year-old! Sure you can wear them to school honey, as long as you have leggings on underneath.

At age 45, I am spending far too much time in the stores mentioned -- following dear daughter around with a credit card, of course. I think the quality at AE (I'm assuming we're talking American Eagle?) absolutely sucks. Same with Urban Outfitters and Aeropostale (although I doubt anyone hear is shopping at Aero, that's strictly teeny-bop with size extra-large in shirts fitting a size 12).

I'm sticking with boot-cut jeans bought from Express. They fit me better than anything else I've found and are pretty cheap when on sale.

edited to add:
Now that I've read the posts in this thread more carefully I'm wondering if AE has crappy stuff or if we're just unlucky. Just about everything we've bought there has had a problem. A striped sweater that whose maroon stripes bled like crazy into the cream stripes (turning them pink) even though it was hand-washed in cold water. Another striped sweater that split between the stripes -- a manufacturing error in the knit. Jean zippers that stopped locking within three wearings. I chalked it up to the fact that it was a store geared for kids who don't wear the clothes for long before they grow out of them but it looks like there's plenty of adults here wearing their stuff. hmmmm...

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I went to Banana Republic to try on the boots with skinny jeans look. I wore a sweater that I have similar to the picture I posted. But the whole look didn''t quite work on me. Even my husband agreed. The leather boots seemed to make my legs look shorter even with dark jeans and dark boots. The other thing I noticed is it was super hard to keep the jeans tucked in an smooth looking (hate to say it but stirrup pants would be helpful for this). When I walked around the store I kept getting extra fabric bunched up around my knees which was really unflattering. Oh well, I guess I''ll hope for a relatively dry winter :)

blingblingsuzi

Rough_Rock
I think I''ll wear them after seeing my plastic surgeon! They must have lots of business, better than selling diamonds, due to the fashion trends.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
No way am I wearing them. At a size 14 I look like a weeble-wobble! (sp?) Actually I think I'd look like odd even at a size 8. I'm a bootcut girl all the way. Besides I love my cowboy boots.

Exactly how are leggings different from tights? I certainly remember the 80's but even then I had a thing for expensive-as-heck cowboy boots when I wasn't wearing Doc Marten's and loads of black.

ETA: I love Target but I always have to buy new stuff every year. It doesn't really hold up for more than 1-2 years.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that I''ve just bought a pair of black suede mid-calf boots, I''ll have to buy some straight-leg jeans to tuck inside. I''ll have to look into AE and Target....it''s all about the price! I already have a pair of black leggings (gasp! at my age!) and they look pretty darn cute under skirts and my boots if I do say so myself!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
I have to throw in a good review for target. i think that you have to be a bit discriminating, but there really offer some terrific clothes. the best picks i''ve found are the cashmere sweaters from isaac -- under $50 -- I got two last season and they stll look as good as new for this coming winter/fall. also, the mossimo long-sleeve t-shirts. they are $8.99 and again the quality is wonderful. they survived multiple washings and are so soft and comfortable and the fit is perfect.
emstar.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i know KD...for me i don''t want to spend another $150 on each pair of jeans on a trend that may be gone in 2 years. if the $45 AE jeans last me a year i''ll be happy. plus they seem pretty well made, i agree their sweaters and stuff can sometimes be flimsy, but the jeans seem pretty solid. they are super cute, i wore them out to dinner the other night with my family and my 16 yo sister was all ''those are the same ones i have, they look cute!''...so hopefully she can''t tell me i look FRUMPY anymore. bratty teenage family members! hehe. i tried on a bunch of AE sweaters too but i just was not feelin'' it at all. i do think i want the other lighter wash in the straight jeans though. with the way the straight don''t TAPER...they actually seem more flattering to my lower ankle and calf and they come onto your foot which i think gives a slight added illusion of a taller body. i am tallish anyway at 5''7" but my sis is 5''5", granted she''s a twig literally, she wears an AE size 2, but she looks taller in the straight jeans too. i don''t know if i could do SKINNY at this point but i am feeling the love for the straight.

the best part about $45 AE Jeans? (and i guess $30 target ones too!)....is that Greg can''t go ''you spent HOW MUCH on those jeans?''. he''s so happy to hear $45 i don''t hear any guff about being out shopping again. hahha.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I tried to wear my Target skinny jeans today . . . just couldn''t do it.
5.gif
Nothing seemed to look right with them. I didn''t have time to try on every top I own, so I gave up and put on my straight-leg jeans. I might have to do a test run on the skinnies on a day when I''m staying home.
20.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Christa--I found that my skinny jeans looked best with longer but still form fitting sweaters/shirts. I bought a tunic length V neck sweater from Target and put a tank under it. If I wear the flowing blousey tops, I just look lopsided and shorter. The body skimming but longer sweater seemed to make me look taller.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep i am pairing my stuff with hip hitting sweaters that have v necks and things like heels if you don''t want to do ballet flats. the heels make you look taller as well. throw on a knotted pashmina for some extra top dressage if you feel like too much attention is being focused on the jeans.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I''m wearing them today with a long-ish plain brown top. . . I haven''t left the house yet, though.
9.gif
I was enouraged because my 8-year-old says they look "normal". I''m still having an issue with the shoe thing. I''m not going to be tucking my pants into boots (not crazy about how it looks, and they don''t stay tucked), but where I live I can''t wear bare feet in pumps or flats all winter either. I have some brown ankle boots that work, so I think I need to get some black ones, too.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Okay, girls, I did it! I went to Target and got some skinny jeans (faded black). Thanks Mara for the inspiration to go to Target ($13.95 on sale!) and thanks IslandDreams for posing the original question and thanks Roppingi for giving me shoe ideas (I never know what to match shoe-wise).

My teenagers gave me the thumbs up!

By the way I am 53, size 12 and 145 lbs. I think they look good with a little short jacket on top (covers the mid section) and my pointy flat shoes. I also paired it with a long-sleeved white blouse with tapered darts and seams. I am so glad they are making tops longer this season!!

So at least try them on. They are probably not for everyone but I am glad to rid myself of the extra fabric that flares have.

Swingirl

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehee sweet swin!! i have to get over to target soon. i think someone else actually recommended target since i haven''t seen their jeans yet over there...but others gave some raves. i totally agree re: a short smart jacket with pointy shoes or the ballet flats...both would be great. i need to get a new short jacket as well, that just reminded me!

it totally cracks me up how enabled we are on PS. ''are you going to wear these?'' NO WAY...NO HOW...NOT ME...AS IF! and then like 3 pages later and 3/4 of us, myself included are at least on the straight jean train if not partially on the skinny train. hahahaa. we are such suckers for each other''s enabling! hehe.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
i''m still waiting on my enabled levis straight jean purchase
3.gif

i think that i ordered them at least a week ago, but perhaps i''m just being impatient...

i hate actually going to stores and shopping, so i tend to online shop for the most part.

i''m just so curious to see how this is going to look

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results