shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you going to wear the skinny jeans and leggings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
After 10 years of wider bottom jeans, it appears the "skinny" jean...some even with zippers near the ankle are back in fashion. Along with leggings and tunics with belts on the hips. I must now be officially old because I wore all of these the first time around...when I was a lot smaller. Do you think this trend will stay? Are you going to wear them? What about those of you who aren''t necessarily tall and thin? How do you think they look on shorter, curvier women?

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I know ID, I was just wondering the same thing myself.
Just yesterday I was in the Houston Galleria, and then Tootsies (high end womens clothing) and yes the skinny jeans were everywhere.

One thing I am thinking about is simple almost ankle length leggings, shirt, knee-length cashmere cardigan, belted, open except for a few buttons closed around the hips. Simple flats. I saw this in a catalog and it looked great and I think I might could carry it off. I''m 51, so I have certainly seen this trend before. I read an article in Vouge about Ellen Barkin and I think I recall it saying something about her leggings. It can be done, but at my age, one has to be careful.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
no no no no no! I will not wear them, Sam I am...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope not gonna do it. Did it the first time back in the 80''s. I cringe just thinking about it.
32.gif
LOL!!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you''re old enough to have worn a trend the first time around, then that''s quite enough.
9.gif
I''m definitely not gonna do it. Right now it''s a very young look (a la Hilary Duff and Lindsay) and I''d feel like a fool in it.

Ann -- I know the look you''re talking about. I think it''s do-able too!

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
I will NOT fall to this trend. I really love boot cut jeans and like a little baginess to any pants I wear. No can do with the skinny jeans and leggings....
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would look like Lurch if I wore them again
32.gif
been there and did that in the eighties thankyouverymuch
16.gif
I honestly don't think they will catch on, as for fuller figured ladies I suppose it depends how you wear them, but I think they are best worn by skinny young trendy women. I mean, why wear them if bootcut midrise is flattering to you for example? The great thing now is that with jeans it seems that anything goes now, wear what YOU like! Apart from stonewashed or tie dyed of course!
23.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

hahahahahahahahaaaa, Oh you were serious? Sorry, but not this time.
2.gif

Altho, I can see wearing them under a tunic or jumper---kinda cute trend...but I''ll leave that for they much younger trendsetters.....

cheers--Sharon

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t wear any of the trendy stuff right now, because I end up looking too much like the adolescent students I teach. I already wore the leggings when I grew up in the 80s, anyway.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear g*d, not again. I looked ridiculous in this trend the first time around, I will not subject myself to it twice! But if I were so inclined I''m sure the one I wore 20 years ago are still packed up somewhere in my grandmother''s basement--three sizes ago though!!!
40.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To think I used to wear a pair of drainpipe jeans with zippers at the ankles with stiletto heels....I thought I was the bees knees
5.gif

I AM NOT going there ever again, I looked ridiculous enough the first time around. I cringed when I saw Sienna Miller and Kate Moss trotting around in those..things and knew they WERE BACK
32.gif

HA - just had a thought! Anyone remember the Studio 54 type skin tight satin disco pants, worn with a sequinned boob tube???

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Skinny jeans-yuck, yuck, yuck! Even though I am thin, I WILL NOT cave and wear them-lol. They remind me too much of straight leg jeans which I don''t like. I just feel like they''re not flattering. I don''t care for leggings either. I don''t know if this trend will stay, but I hope it dies an early death!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Nope, I just can't do it! Like a few others, I did it the first time around, I'm not doing it again! I'm very petite and I think that may be the problem. If I wear the skinny jeans or leggings with heels, I feel like a hooker and if I wear them with flats, I look too short and dumpy! I can't win so I'm not going to try!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will definitely not succumb to this trend again. I''m another child of the 80''s and it was horrific enough the first time around!

So, I want to know who''s going to come out of the closet here and admit to wearing these styles...there has to be a young, hip LIW who will admit to it, hee hee!!!
9.gif

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
i gotta say i love them..... you''d be surprised how skinny they can make you feel and look... i have a couple of pairs and am still surprised how often i pull them out to wear.....

now zipper ankles...that''s a different story ;-)

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I will not wear the skinny jeans, the way they taper makes your backside appear even larger, IMHO.

The leggings look, if covered up properly, with a thick quality knit, it might work. Believe me, I am the first one to say dress your age.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I had a pair of Bongo jeans, in a loooooovely vertcal light and dark denim pattern, and was the first IN MY SIXTH GRADE CLASS to have zippers at the ankles.

Right around then I thought the height of fashion was fold over lacy trimmed ankle socks worn with stiletto heels, thanks to that "She''s Got Legs" ZZ Top music video....

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
Remember when skinny jeans, with the zippers on the bottom sides, and girls would wear them with baby doll socks and pumps. LOL.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m definetly NOT wearing leggings. I''m petite & thin and leggings would make me look like I''m 12! The jeans, well, I just am not willing to give up my boot cut babies. I love them too much and they seem to flatter me more than any other style of jeans.

And, I do not think the legging trend will last long. So few of us should be wearing leggings, as they are very unforgiving, that the demand will taper off quickly.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC, you have hit the nail on the head I think...those skinny jeans are very unforgiving and therefore once this is realized they will fizzle out fast. Thank goodness.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
At least they''re not in Neon colors....yet!
face12.gif

I have some Seven for all mankind "Rocker" jeans...and they have a very slim leg, but then flare a little right at the bottom. Not too extreme, but enough to still be flattering and trendy! Good alternative to the superskinny jeans!

I''m not doing to eighties again...once was enough!

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
I love my skinny jeans. I wear them on the longer side with platform sandals and high heeled mary janes - they give the illusion of height that I so desperately need. I pair my skinnys with fitted button down shirts, crew and v neck tee shirts. There is something very clean about the look which is refreashing after so many years of bell bottom and flares.

I will not wear skinny jeans with zippers on the side, nor will I wear tunics with wide belts slung over my hips.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2006 10:21:19 AM
Author: Kaleigh
Nope not gonna do it. Did it the first time back in the 80''s. I cringe just thinking about it.
32.gif
LOL!!!

DITTO!!!! That look just needs to stay back in history, and not be revived. YUCK.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
No I hate them. I mentioned in the jean article that the magazine I am a part of is doing a jeans article and I was the petite "model" (it was only the waist down so I figured why now) One pair was the skinny jeans and while everyone told me how "cute" they looked on me I felt SOOOO stupid. They were surprisingly comfortable though.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
No thanks -- once was enough. I think the tapered jeans just make your hips look larger, and a long sweater over leggings also adds bulk over the butt and hips. This look worked for me back in the 80''s when I was a size 2 teenager and needed the illusion of hips, but I''ve got plenty now, thanks. I love my mid/low rise bootcut because they balance my hips.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL, tell me how ya ladies really feel!

I think for the many of us who went through this, we won''t go through it again. I found a similar thing seemed to happen when a lot of 70s fashions came back in. Those of us who didn''t live through it thought "oh, that''s a cool look" and did it, while others who great up the 70s said they wouldn''t do it again.

Fact of the matter is, for many skinny jeans are not a good/flattering look!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve definitely noticed that this look is divided by age lines in the area where I live. I see LOTS of teenagers and early 20''s people wearing leggings and tapered jeans with long shirts over them. With big, metal-studded, wide leather belts slung low on the hips OR cinched tightly around the waist.....those belts were pretty popular back in the 80''s too. Those same teens are also wearing Izod shirts with the collars turned up.

Sometimes I look at them and think I''m in a time warp!!!
6.gif

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
well i'm in my late late 20's (like seconds away from 30) -- and i remember the 80's skinny jeans too.... but i always promised myself that no matter how silly i think certain trends are, i would give them a shot ........ because i don't ever want to be stuck in a clothing time warp. i think there are a lot of ways to wear "trends" that don't make you look 12 or silly..... you can wear trends and make your wardrobe fresh. i mean, we've all seen "fashion police" and "what not to wear" right?

plus.. i hate to say this, but as an industry "insider" i don't think the skinny jean is a trend.

give peace, and the skinny jeans a chance...

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i always liked the legging with tunic and ballet flats. yay It''s back!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results