shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you going to wear the skinny jeans and leggings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/27/2006 6:37:22 PM
Author: Mara
i SO can''t get beyond my mental block from the 80''s on black jeans! i know that people have been wearing them since then but i bought a pair thinking i could pull it off and they just sat in the closet. i just keep thinking black acid washed with pegged legs...aaaah!!!!!
Oh, me too! I resist the temptation to buy them now, no matter how good they look in the fitting room, because I''ve learned from experience that I''m not actually going to wear them.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/27/2006 8:12:51 PM
Author: canuk-gal
NM-0RBF_mp.jpg

These with velvet trim. I like them. No big shoulders and hair, just nice jeans! All from NM online.
I really like this look--it reminds me of my favorites from the 80's/early 90's, but way cuter. What I'm having trouble with is what shoes to wear with skinnier pants. I live in the Portland OR area, so bare feet in heels like the models are all wearing isn't going to work. I can feel the rain squishing in them now. And I've never been a fan of pants tucked into boots. Back in the day I wore Keds without laces, but I don't think that's an option any more, either.
20.gif
Anyone have suggestions?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I am a big fan of pants tucked into boots!
2.gif
So, I have a question. Last year I bought the cutest Cole Hahn boots w/ a neat silver buckle at the top. No one ever sees it as it''s been under my pants.

The boot is mid-calf. Is it a fashion don''t to wear those with skinny jeans? Or do I have to buy the closer to the knee boot?

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/5/2006 11:42:04 AM
Author: fire&ice
I am a big fan of pants tucked into boots!
2.gif
So, I have a question. Last year I bought the cutest Cole Hahn boots w/ a neat silver buckle at the top. No one ever sees it as it''s been under my pants.

The boot is mid-calf. Is it a fashion don''t to wear those with skinny jeans? Or do I have to buy the closer to the knee boot?
Don''t know if this helps or not, but I was at Nordies the other day and I heard a sales associate helping someone with their selection of jeans for their boots and the sales girl said to go for it. Skinny or straight leg capris(depending on the exact length and height of the boot of course), especially gauchos, look fab with boots that meet with the knee. I would think alot would depend on your body type, too. I''d wear such boots as you describe with a cute skirt that''s for sure to show off such detailing.

Just my thoughts on the subject...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i just had to check in on this thread because i have these 7 jeans from about 5 years ago....they haven''t fit me for a few years really and they totally fit me now. they are basically and they are not too long, perfect for tiny heels or flip flops, so i am wearing them today with the cutest chocolate brown crochet v-neck long top that i got last week at nordie''s...it has cap sleeves and the top 1/2 is crochet with cutouts and then it goes into a solid rib at the hips and fits tightly...so it comes down to around butt area. it''s super cute, i have a soft aqua tank on underneath for full coverage and some contrast. and then i have these cute flat ballet shoes i got early this spring at nordies in a chocolate brown alligator kind of print with chocolate brown grosgrain bow at the top. they were totally not ME when i bought them, but i thought they were the cutest shoes ever and just HAD to have them. so i paired them with the jeans and the top and it looks SOOOOO CUTE!!!! i am jazzed i managed to find stuff in my closet to pair with my new top AND it looks hip and with the current fashion AND it all fits!!!!
36.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/4/2006 4:00:16 AM
Author: Christa

Date: 8/27/2006 8:12:51 PM
Author: canuk-gal
NM-0RBF_mp.jpg

These with velvet trim. I like them. No big shoulders and hair, just nice jeans! All from NM online.
I really like this look--it reminds me of my favorites from the 80's/early 90's, but way cuter. What I'm having trouble with is what shoes to wear with skinnier pants. I live in the Portland OR area, so bare feet in heels like the models are all wearing isn't going to work. I can feel the rain squishing in them now. And I've never been a fan of pants tucked into boots. Back in the day I wore Keds without laces, but I don't think that's an option any more, either.
20.gif
Anyone have suggestions?
HI:

Christa: have you seen some of those adorable Mary Janes out there? I think they'd be great with skinny pants--they vary is style as to exact heel height, so some can be higher or flatter depending on the brand. I am planning on a pair of bronze Sketcher's that are not only adorable but comfortable.

BTW, I laughed the other day when I put on my favorite black Prada cotton/lycra pants that I SHRUNK--talk about SKINNY! Wore then out on Sat with my Gucci stiletto's and looked in style--if they only knew!!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Went to the shopping night at Holt Renfrew last night--gosh standing room only...bought an adorable Free People sweater tunic/dress (mid thigh length); knit wool and lace up neck style and very long sleeves that I will wear with brown leggings...see if I can find a picture online. I love it!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
64X0173.14.z.a.jpg

Here it is. Called a Hunting Tunic. Fairly heavy. I can als wear it with my old brown Miss Sixty cords. From Free People''s website.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK guys, I must eat my words.
9.gif

I just bought a really cute long t-shirt with black leggings!!! [GASP!] I SWORE I wouldn't bow down to the fashion machine and wear anything even remotely close to what Lindsay Lohan and Nicole Richie are wearing these days, but you know what? I tried the stuff on cuz it looked SOOO soft and it was actually really flattering and not too trendy looking at all!

Plus, what's NOT to love about wearing a long shirt that covers your butt? And the leggings will come in handy on those days when I really want to wear a dress but it's a tad too cold out. Bottom line -- leggings are SO soft and comfortable. It's like wearing your pajamas around! YEAH! I've begun to think that this is one '80's trend that I CAN recycle after all! Now, I just have to shop for some boots that will go with my new outfit. Hehe.

As for skinny jeans that cut off your circulation at the ankles....still a big, fat NO!!! Roppongi had coerced me and Luckyhonu into trying a pair on and for me, it was like, uhhhhhhhh. My hips never looked wider, my gut was more obvious than ever (spilling over the super-low rise), and my ankles were in pain from the vise-like grip of the super-tight hems.

I love the photos that Christa and Sharon posted above. Proof that this look can be cute and not trendy! And YAY Mara for recycling your old jeans and updating it with new pieces/accesories! Don't you love that burst of pride when you manage to squeeze yourself into old jeans?!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/21/2006 5:40:18 PM
Author: KristyDarling
OK guys, I must eat my words.
9.gif

I just bought a really cute long t-shirt with black leggings!!! [GASP!] I SWORE I wouldn''t bow down to the fashion machine and wear anything even remotely close to what Lindsay Lohan and Nicole Richie are wearing these days, but you know what? I tried the stuff on cuz it looked SOOO soft and it was actually really flattering and not too trendy looking at all!

Plus, what''s NOT to love about wearing a long shirt that covers your butt? And the leggings will come in handy on those days when I really want to wear a dress but it''s a tad too cold out. Bottom line -- leggings are SO soft and comfortable. It''s like wearing your pajamas around! YEAH! I''ve begun to think that this is one ''80''s trend that I CAN recycle after all! Now, I just have to shop for some boots that will go with my new outfit. Hehe.

As for skinny jeans that cut off your circulation at the ankles....still a big, fat NO!!! Roppongi had coerced me and Luckyhonu into trying a pair on and for me, it was like, uhhhhhhhh. My hips never looked wider, my gut was more obvious than ever (spilling over the super-low rise), and my ankles were in pain from the vise-like grip of the super-tight hems.

I love the photos that Christa and Sharon posted above. Proof that this look can be cute and not trendy! And YAY Mara for recycling your old jeans and updating it with new pieces/accesories! Don''t you love that burst of pride when you manage to squeeze yourself into old jeans?!
HI:

Halir post KD!!! LMAO! I agree that many of the new leggings are very soft and comfy. I wore that sweater above yesterday with my brown leggings and I got so many compliments--and was comfy to boot.

I''ve decided against buying any skinny jeans, since I seem to have a few fairly narrow pair of slacks in my wardrobe already. Can''t have too much of a "good" thing!
2.gif

cheers--Sharon

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That IS a beautiful sweater, Sharon! What kind of shoes did you wear with it?

I hear ya on the straight-legged jeans. I think I might have to try on a pair myself. Although, I''ll always be boot-cut kinda girl no matter what the trend! Boot-leg jeans with a short heel does wonders for my silhouette!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/21/2006 6:48:59 PM
Author: KristyDarling
That IS a beautiful sweater, Sharon! What kind of shoes did you wear with it?

I hear ya on the straight-legged jeans. I think I might have to try on a pair myself. Although, I''ll always be boot-cut kinda girl no matter what the trend! Boot-leg jeans with a short heel does wonders for my silhouette!
HI:

Thanks KD. I wore flats--my DH bought me a pair of moccassins (sp) in Denver recently, and they looked great. Now if I could only find those Franco Sarto brown riding boots (see "Fall must have" thread), I''d be set for boots.

cheers--Sharon

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol KD was this in Bgame after I left??? I''m sorry I missed seeing you guys all in skinny jeans. Wait what am I saying? I''m sure I woulda had to try on a pair too! hahaha. Yikes!

I''m all for the straight jeans but not skinny jeans NOR leggings. I just CANNOT get past the 80''s where I wore the big rugby shirt with the leggins OR the button down flannel shirt with colored PERFUME BOTTLES all over it with leggings. Nonono!!!! Bad memories!!

elle

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to share mho on skinnies after trying out countless pairs - isn''t jean shopping the most depressing?!! I just jumped the skinny bandwagon after seeing a recent issue of people fashion (I think) where they had celebs in bootcuts (taken previously) to their current skinnies - and it looked lke such a nice fresh look and very wearable (not the superskinny kind - only Kate or Nicole can wear those!)
1.gif

After my 4 hour Galleria run
14.gif
& based what I can recall and my weird bodyshape (some of these may suit other to a T!) - Charlotte pant L is a little loose, but M is a little tight
20.gif
, between 36-38 or 4-6:
J''s, Cheap Mondays, Rock & republics, Goldsigns were too tight and skinny (I almost gave up after having to sit on the floor of Barneys fitting rm, trying to contort my foot out of a pair of Cheap Mondays!); Rogans, Earnest Sewn, Wranglers, Hot Kiss, gaped at the back of the waist; Acnes, True Religion, Citizens of Humanity, Marc Jacobs, Roberto Cavalli, Club Monaco didn''t fit right and made me look dumpy; Seven''s spandex had little control = wobbly thighs & behind - ugh, Habituals were ok but the waist was a little on the high side for me (I''m only 5 ft 3 if my I blowdry my hair). I was actually hoping to try James but they didn''t carry them.

Then I walked into A/X and found them - the perfect skinny (for me anyway!) which was totally affordable (in case the trend dies
21.gif
), is not too stretchy so it holds everything in & no wobbly thighs - yay!, in a simple, plain, slimming clean dark wash, is made from super soft and snooth raw denim - very comfy and I don''t have to contort myself to get in or out of them
9.gif
. The tag says J11 and it''s in raw denim. If worn with flats the bottms stay scrunched or folded up, if worn with boots - tucked in, withheels I can barely just pull them over the heel part. Perfection.
9.gif
What wasn''t so ideal was that they had a killer fitted washed denim jacket that I had to get as well. Oh and the matching jean with that jacket too, cos the jean was more than half off - bad, bad, bad.... Oh and Zara has a cute pair of simple black skinny-straight pant with stretch for only 29! Only con is the, how do you say, butt seam is not overlapping? So if it''s too tight you can see thread between the seam kwim? But for 29, it''s a good deal!
21.gif

Anyway, Hth! May y''all find the perfect jean for the season!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
elle thanks for the recap on the jeans, i''ll have to check out A/X next time i am there....MAYBE the skinny jean won''t be SO BAD? maybe not. hehe. i don''t know...i might have to see them on. i do have a cute pair of ballet flats that would be fab with the right jeans.

oh and i hope you aren''t going to wear the matching jean jacket with the pants...i''ll never forget reading a fashion thing that said jean and jean is a big no no regardless of whatever!! hehee.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
So, is anyone willing to post pictures of themselves in the new "skinny" jeans maybe with a picture of last year''s jeans too for comparison purposes? I''m interested in the whole outfit to see what people are wearing.

Is anyone who is more of a size 10-12 willing to wear the skinny jeans? I see how they will look great on the size 6 girls....but not so sure on my size.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, Mara, you are lucky to have escaped the wrath of Roppongi....I love that girl but she practically shoved those skinny jeans down my throat!
9.gif
How hilarious it woulda been to see all 3 of us looking all uncomfortable in them! Roppongi loves them and totally rocks them. But alas, I cannot pull them off. My hips scream NO!!!! (not to mention I want to keep the circulation going in my feet and would prefer to avoid amputation)

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
I am taking a break from the hospital to catch up with my PS friends.

KristyDarling....you simply did not give those jeans the time of day. Girlfriend, you would have looked awesome in them if you tried another style of J Brand. Just you wait....I will have you conformed by our next get together
2.gif
. BTW, you are the size of a twig, and are void of hips.

I absolutely love my skinny jeans. I have been tucking them into my boots, wearing my high heel mary janes and I swear, I feel taller than 5''.
5''.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so I went to the stores last night to check out the new skinny jeans. Roppongi was right...they''re actually cute....with heels. Really high heels. I''m only 5''4" and a size 10 almost 8 (thank you Weight Watchers since I was a 10-12!), so I''m definitely not a tiny girl. The skinny jeans looked good with a deep V neck sweater, cami & 4" heeled booties (jeans not tucked in). The belt on the hips though did not work for me. I actually found jeans that I liked at Target for $14. Yes, I know most of you like the designer duds and I do too, but I don''t have access to them where I live and for $14 I''m willing to try the trend...not so sure at $114. Went home and modeled my new skinnny jeans for my husband and he definitely likes them. I''ll be curious what my girlfriends say because they will be more honest.

Anyway, moral of the story was the skinny jeans weren''t nearly as bad as I thought they would be. As long as I wore high heels. Flats just made me look dumpy.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Smacks every poster that thinks a size 10 is huge. There, I feel better :)

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2006 8:49:58 AM
Author: reader
Smacks every poster that thinks a size 10 is huge. There, I feel better :)
:)

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, I''m going to have to take a look at Target. They do have some cute stuff and I''ve been looking to ease into this trend without spending too much. Anyone brave enough to post pics?

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
i''m not an overly trendy dresser, but i''ve decided to embrace the "modern fit" i just ordered a pair of straight leg levis. i figured it''d be a good mix of quality and reasonable price. they are not terribly "skinny" which i like -- just an overall slimmer silhouette. i found them on this site which generally has styles that are a little too young -- but there are some steals to be found http://frugal-fashionista.blogspot.com

pLEVI1-2859172dt.jpg

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, cute! I just bookmarked that site . . . did you notice how many Target and Old Navy items they had there? Right up my cheapskate alley.
9.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
christa: i agree! if i am going to venture into the world of "trendy" i certainly don''t want to spend an absurb sum on something that will be outdated in a season.

also, with each outfit, underneath the picture of the star, there are direct links to the suggested "mimic" clothes. very helpful.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/26/2006 8:41:43 AM
Author: IslandDreams
Ok, so I went to the stores last night to check out the new skinny jeans. Roppongi was right...they're actually cute....with heels. Really high heels. I'm only 5'4' and a size 10 almost 8 (thank you Weight Watchers since I was a 10-12!), so I'm definitely not a tiny girl. The skinny jeans looked good with a deep V neck sweater, cami & 4' heeled booties (jeans not tucked in). The belt on the hips though did not work for me. I actually found jeans that I liked at Target for $14. Yes, I know most of you like the designer duds and I do too, but I don't have access to them where I live and for $14 I'm willing to try the trend...not so sure at $114. Went home and modeled my new skinnny jeans for my husband and he definitely likes them. I'll be curious what my girlfriends say because they will be more honest.

Anyway, moral of the story was the skinny jeans weren't nearly as bad as I thought they would be. As long as I wore high heels. Flats just made me look dumpy.
I think we're jeans twins . . . I found myself at Target last night (I didn't go just for skinny jeans, honest!) and they had some on clearance for 13.98. Woo hoo! I was a little concerned because they had one size six, a few eights and several tens and twelves on the clearance rack. Does that mean that I'm pushing the limits of how big you can be and still look OK in this style?
6.gif
I didn't have time to try them on in the store, but I grabbed an 8 and tried them on at home . . . unless I'm totally deluding myself they look pretty cute.

The big difference between these and the ones I wore 20 years ago (am I really that old?!) is pocket placement and where the waist hits. It makes a difference that the waistband isn't around my armpits with the pockets on the small of my back!
9.gif
Still working up the courage to wear them in public, though.

You're right about the heels, though. I see pictures of skinny pants with flats, but on me they *need* heels. Maybe that's from not being a size 0 . . .

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Skinny jeans make your feet look big. LOL No way! They belong to the 80''s.
emrainbow.gif

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2006 9:10:13 PM
Author: NYCsparkle
Skinny jeans make your feet look big. LOL No way! They belong to the 80''s.
emrainbow.gif
Maybe that''s why heels help. The other thing I''ve noticed it that flats look cuter with cropped or ankle length skinny pants.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/26/2006 8:41:43 AM
Author: IslandDreams
Ok, so I went to the stores last night to check out the new skinny jeans. Roppongi was right...they''re actually cute....with heels. Really high heels. I''m only 5''4'' and a size 10 almost 8 (thank you Weight Watchers since I was a 10-12!), so I''m definitely not a tiny girl. The skinny jeans looked good with a deep V neck sweater, cami & 4'' heeled booties (jeans not tucked in). The belt on the hips though did not work for me. I actually found jeans that I liked at Target for $14. Yes, I know most of you like the designer duds and I do too, but I don''t have access to them where I live and for $14 I''m willing to try the trend...not so sure at $114. Went home and modeled my new skinnny jeans for my husband and he definitely likes them. I''ll be curious what my girlfriends say because they will be more honest.

Anyway, moral of the story was the skinny jeans weren''t nearly as bad as I thought they would be. As long as I wore high heels. Flats just made me look dumpy.
Hi...I am so glad to find out others are giving Target a try for the skinny jean. I found when I was doing my jean search that as much as I wanted to have the body to fit into those deisnger jeans that alot of women my age were wearing, I will enjoy my Paige jeans, my Jag jeans and my everyday Levis 519''s, but the premium denim jeans at Target rock!
emhot.gif

I found them kind to my shortwaisted curvy yet wider-than-I-wish-it-was figure. I wear a 10-12, but mostly a 12 so I grew very anxious and depressed as I tried on or attempted to try on jeans and found myself out of luck. With the jeans at Target, I found the fit to be superb, the denim was super nice, their selection of washes was good and the best part...not a huge investment!
emthup.gif

With 2 kids in braces, and 5 others who need this or that, this was a godsend to me to in my search for some jeans that were a bit trendy without looking like I am trying too hard. I have a 21 year old daughter and what looks amazing on her curvy JLo figure does NOT work for me, her mom...and I look pretty darn good for birthing 9 kids!
emwink.gif

I agree on the heels comment. I think unless you are already pretty tall, if you are shorter than 5''5", stay away from wearing flats with the skinnier jeans. Oh, and the jeans I got are not too skinny, just straighter, more form fitting. Kind of the best of bootcut and skinny...no loss of circulation!
emsmile.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Christa--I''m glad you found some you liked at Target. I bet we are jean twins. I think you are exactly right about the difference between today''s skinny jeans and those of the 80s. The waist is lower and more flattering and pocket placement is better. The ones I get are below my belly-button but not super low. These are the jeans I got. They''re not clearanced on the website yet. http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_5/601-5827933-5177722?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000F0K5U0

NYCsparkle--Yes, they do make your feet look bigger especially if wearing the more chunky shoes of the past few years. The heels really make the difference for me. My jeans are long enough to pull over the heel and with dark, slim shoes with a rounded but still tapered toe, the shoes are just fine. Sneakers would look like clod hoppers. The skinny girls can wear the ballet flats and look great but I definitely need the heels.

Deanna--Target definitely has good jeans for the price. Sure, it''s fun to buy designer ones, but sometimes there are other priorities in life :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results