shape
carat
color
clarity

Are we expecting too much re bespoke ER design?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you need to go back and see it! I'm sure there's something you want made lol.
There is! Bit there's the small matter of saving for a 2ct+ Octavia first... :( lol

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too bucked the trend and wear a nearly 3 mm wide ER with a 5 mm wide WB. Solid and comfortable. I too work in science. Platinum 100%. Platinum will not react to most chemicals and won't be harmed by chemicals that stain or harm gold (although even platinum will succumb to enough chlorine). I do necrosies, dissections, preservation of specimens and the like with my rings on (under gloves). So, a low-set ER was really important to me. Those darn nitrile gloves going on and off on lab days! When out doing field work, I just wear my band...which would be what I suggest you do during gardening.

For pave. Its durability is really a function of the quality of the maker. If you are cautious...bead set is a blend between the channel and open pave.

I can't find it right now, but maybe someone can link to @Gypsy aka now trade member @LaylaR pave band?

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-13_7-13-57.png
    upload_2017-8-13_7-13-57.png
    231.5 KB · Views: 10
  • upload_2017-8-13_7-18-7.png
    upload_2017-8-13_7-18-7.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 11

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm also not a thin shank person either Brimstone :D My new ring is platinum, 4-5mm at the back.

I decided to have pave split shoulders, but for comfort and durability went with them set in, i.e., no exposed edges, and it's very comfortable and practical. I didn't want a ring I'd be worried about wearing, and I'm really pleased with the result.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander
This is a post where Gypsy asked for advice about pave':

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pave.56113/

This is her post about her Tiffany micropave wedding band:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/okay-so-i-think-ive-made-a-w-band-decision.86986/

Does this help?
CRM
I was thinking of a post where she was showing a poster details from her bead set pave band (maybe it was on an ring shank) and described how the walls of the ring protected the stone. I think this would have been in 2016 or 2015...

BrimstoneTwo

Shiny_Rock
I too bucked the trend and wear a nearly 3 mm wide ER with a 5 mm wide WB. Solid and comfortable. I too work in science. Platinum 100%. Platinum will not react to most chemicals and won't be harmed by chemicals that stain or harm gold (although even platinum will succumb to enough chlorine). I do necrosies, dissections, preservation of specimens and the like with my rings on (under gloves). So, a low-set ER was really important to me. Those darn nitrile gloves going on and off on lab days! When out doing field work, I just wear my band...which would be what I suggest you do during gardening.

For pave. Its durability is really a function of the quality of the maker. If you are cautious...bead set is a blend between the channel and open pave.

I can't find it right now, but maybe someone can link to @Gypsy aka now trade member @LaylaR pave band?

@rockysalamander Are you a pathologist or a histologist? I am a cytologist so similar work without all the chemicals. I refuse to wear the nitrile as they have a weird feel to them and so far, no latex allergies!

It's good to know that pave can be made to last. We feel quite confident in the skills of Stephen. He has done work for Cartier and the Sultan of Brunei so :lol:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander Are you a pathologist or a histologist? I am a cytologist so similar work without all the chemicals. I refuse to wear the nitrile as they have a weird feel to them and so far, no latex allergies!

It's good to know that pave can be made to last. We feel quite confident in the skills of Stephen. He has done work for Cartier and the Sultan of Brunei so :lol:

Pave can certainly be made to last. It requires a good maker, which you seem to have found, and the right kind. The fact that you are giving them metal to work with (2-2.5 mm), gives them a lot more ability to make something really sturdy and lovely. Spend some time with them on the side profile to make sure it is lovely. My antique ring looks like little arches...little details like that really can make a difference.

Will the rings be hand-forged or cast? For pave, there are advantage to hand-forging -- although at a price. But, hand-forging is vastly stronger for holding diamonds with little bits of metal as the hand-work will increase the density of the metal through work-hardening.

Good discussion here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/deciding-between-hand-forged-and-cad.170645/

If you were thinking of full eternity bands, just be aware that they can be hard to re-size. A lot of PS member leave a sizing bar at the bottom to allow for that. A sizing bar is just a section of the eternity band that is metal, and not diamonds. When well-done, they seem a deliberate part of the design. Another options is to only have stones and 1/2 or 3/4 of the ring.

I'm a wildlife biologist. So, most of my blood and gore comes from necropsies, blood samples, and the like. I used to do a lot more of that, but in my field, the more senior you become -- the more you are supposed to delegate. I have, however, still the go-to for grumpy animal handling!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. @rockysalamander I give up!! I have carefully scrolled through all 33 pages of posts by Gypsy. I can't find the thread of her pave' Band. :cry2::oops2:sad :((:cry:

BrimstoneTwo

Shiny_Rock
@rockysalamander The arches on your ring are lovely. We will make sure we take the time to sort out the details. My fiancé is very detail oriented and doesn't cut corners. One of the things I love about him, even if it does mean that he does things in his own time. :love:

I don't want a full eternity band. I'd rather keep the bottom plain as it seems more comfortable and practical. At least we are capable of deciding on a few of the details. :mrgreen:

My other half has taken some photos today and hopefully we will start a new thread soon with our new questions as we digest all this good info.

It says a lot about you if you can handle grumpy animals! It's not a skill we all have so good on you! =)2

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't want a full eternity band. I'd rather keep the bottom plain as it seems more comfortable and practical.

The benefit of doing that is that it also means you have something to work with if you ever need to resize it :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooooo.... @BrimstoneTwo - did you get the ring finalised? We are looking forward to pics! ;-) :D

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right! I want to see!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results