shape
carat
color
clarity

Are rings too thin these days?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes people want thinner bands to make the diamond pop more on the finger. However, the visual difference between a 1.8 and 2.0 band is not great. Because it has pave in it, I would personally prefer the thicker band. If she knows the possible consequences and still insists on her 1.8, then so be it. If the ring warps or goes out of round, it has to be on her to find a solution. Perhaps if she knew the carat weight she was getting, she might change her mind. Has the jeweler given any advice? That could change her mind too.
Others, as evidenced by this thread, have had thinner shanks and made out just fine. We have seen others in other threads that did not. Metal composition factors in as well as lifestyle. Even a 2mm shank cannot guarantee an issue free ring so there is that point too.
Would love the hear the end of the story and see the finished ring! Please come back with pictures!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure glad I started this thread ... 12 years ago. :shock:

Over the last 20 years I've said the following many times.
There is no exact thickness above which is safe, and below which is unsafe.
Safety threshold is not not a line, it's a continuous graduation.
Thicker is more safe.
Thinner is less safe.
Removing metal to mount melee makes it more fragile, and less safe.

Next, people vary.
They vary in how hard they are on a ring.
And they vary in their awareness and perception of how hard they are on a ring, and how much stress day to day actions can put in a tiny ring.

When out and about and see a practically-invisible rings with tiny melee holding a big honking diamond I do NOT find it attractive. Nope!
Honestly I feel nothing but anxiety as I cringe :knockout: for that poor ring's future, and the poor innocent jeweler who's gonna get blamed. :nono:

IMO, when thin rings bend, and drop out melee, it's rarely the makers fault.
It's usually the wearer's fault.

Sure it's possible a maker's work is defective, but I suspect that is the case in a tiny minority of bent thin rings.

I don't envy the jewelers who have to deal with these customers.
If they refuse to make the most-fragile and delicate rings, they'll lose business to theircompetitors.
Damned if you do, damed if you don't.

Willinformed

Rough_Rock
Sometimes people want thinner bands to make the diamond pop more on the finger. However, the visual difference between a 1.8 and 2.0 band is not great. Because it has pave in it, I would personally prefer the thicker band. If she knows the possible consequences and still insists on her 1.8, then so be it. If the ring warps or goes out of round, it has to be on her to find a solution. Perhaps if she knew the carat weight she was getting, she might change her mind. Has the jeweler given any advice? That could change her mind too.
Others, as evidenced by this thread, have had thinner shanks and made out just fine. We have seen others in other threads that did not. Metal composition factors in as well as lifestyle. Even a 2mm shank cannot guarantee an issue free ring so there is that point too.
Would love the hear the end of the story and see the finished ring! Please come back with pictures!

Long story short, the band thickness ended up being 1.9mm and it turned out beautifully.

Also, she said yes.

VideoCapture_20231018-040630.jpg VideoCapture_20231018-040643.jpg

20231017_180612.jpg

Attachments

• 20231017_180557.jpg
    20231017_180557.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 23

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Long story short, the band thickness ended up being 1.9mm and it turned out beautifully.

Also, she said yes.

VideoCapture_20231018-040630.jpg VideoCapture_20231018-040643.jpg

20231017_180612.jpg

Congratulations! The ring is beautiful! Best wishes for many happy years together!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results