shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone Else Watching?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1484950293|4117102 said:
Ruby. I recognize that you have stated you don't support Trump nor did you vote for him, and yes, that you'll reneg if he turns out to be the devil incarnate. HOWEVER, when you also continue to lament the fact that people aren't willing to give him a chance based on his past behavior, do you not see how that makes you seem pretty hypocritical? Your seemingly common sense approach to safety of situational awareness vs. your continued willingness to let bygones be bygones with Trump and see how it goes is a total self-contradiction. You've got a leg on each side of the fence.

ETA:
Hit submit before completing my thoughts!
So, your situational awareness theory is based on prior acts/occurences. But your strategy for other Americans is not to hold someone accountable for their past actions because they deserve another chance? Do I have this straight?

I want one thing from this President - to improve the lives of all citizens of the United States. That every one of us can live with dignity and respect to achieve the American dream.

As long as he can and will accomplish that, he will have my support.

If I see him do as what many on here are concerned about, then I will be the first to speak up.

But I see no point in trying to disrupt him every step of the way. What could that possibly accomplish other then to make sure that we continue to fail as a nation.

But one thing you and I may differ on is that I agree about him putting America first. I see nothing wrong with that.It is time that someone dealt with our vast domestic problems.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Elliot86|1484943716|4117026 said:
E B|1484943402|4117019 said:
redwood66|1484942049|4117005 said:
You gauge this by the crowd in attendance and your own opinion or some actual data? How have we had a taste of how he will lead? He was just sworn in an hour ago.

It's been slipping since he was elected.

http://www.salon.com/2017/01/13/don...ating-is-at-a-historic-low-and-keeps-falling/

And you don't think his cabinet picks should qualify as a taste of his plans for the country? I didn't say a full picture, I said a taste. He hasn't really been any more outrageous than usual, so why the drop?

I did read that he continues to rail against the establishment. The man has six Goldman Sachs alumni in his cabinet. :lol: Remember the outrage over Hillary's GS speeches, and what they could have possibly contained? The good ol' days.

I continue to be stunned over the direction education is going.

DeVos is a disaster. So many of his cabinet picks are questionable, but she's one of the worst.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To argue with [those who have] renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
--Thomas Paine [amended by me]

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1484951092|4117113 said:
Ruby. I recognize that you have stated you don't support Trump nor did you vote for him, and yes, that you'll reneg if he turns out to be the devil incarnate. HOWEVER, when you also continue to lament the fact that people aren't willing to give him a chance based on his past behavior, do you not see how that makes you seem pretty hypocritical? Your seemingly common sense approach to safety of situational awareness vs. your continued willingness to let bygones be bygones with Trump and see how it goes is a total self-contradiction. You've got a leg on each side of the fence.

ETA:
So, your situational awareness theory is based on prior acts/occurences. But your strategy for other Americans is not to hold someone accountable for their past actions because they deserve another chance? Do I have this straight?

I want one thing from this President - to improve the lives of all citizens of the United States. That eveyr one of us can with with dignity and respect to achieve the American dream.

If I see him do as what many on here are concerned about, then I will be the first to speak up.

But one thing you and I may differ on is that I agree about him putting America first. I see nothing wrong with that.

I...think we're done here. You and I have very different viewpoints. You're clinging to things you were taught and sold as far as the so-called American Dream. I'm at an age where I've realized it's not the same for every American and want to focus my energy elsewhere, like the future instead of my short lifespan. But, I do understand the resentment that comes with having the rules changed on you halfway through the game. You envisioned your life one way; things changed, and you want them to go back to what your life plan was based on. Believe me, I get where you're coming from. I am fortunate to be healthy still and have many more earning years ahead of me so I haven't started to feel like I'm running out of time yet and haven't the same sense of urgency as you and your husband re the job market and healthcare, etc. I respect your stance.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

ETA:

I am sorry but I do not see this as apples to apples.

Trump is President of the US, not dictator for life. And with it, he will have a lot of people he will have to answer to and get things past. There will be a lot of people in that room and fail safes to make sure he does not screw up royally.

But with situational awareness, it is just you against whatever predator tries to lock on to you. No one else to intervene if the situation goes sideways.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Y'all crack me up. Inaugural attendance doesn't have anything to do with the country's level of excitement for Trump, but a handful of violent protestors (who identify as anarchists, btw) represent today's protests.

Of course they're going to broadcast photos of broken windows and a flaming limousine 10x more (20x more if it's Fox!) than shots of the thousands protesting peacefully. It's much more exciting! But it isn't what these protests were, for the most part. Sorry.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1484951710|4117120 said:

ETA:

Trump is President of the US, not dictator for life. And with it, he will have a lot of people he will have to answer to and get things past. There will be a lot of people in that room and fail safes to make sure he does not screw up royally.

But with situational awareness, it is just you against whatever predator tries to lock on to you. No one else to intervene if the situation goes sideways.

Using your theory would be like me watching my designated driver have a few drinks and getting in the car with them, anyway. Hope for the best!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1484951654|4117119 said:

ETA:

I want one thing from this President - to improve the lives of all citizens of the United States. That eveyr one of us can with with dignity and respect to achieve the American dream.

But one thing you and I may differ on is that I agree about him putting America first. I see nothing wrong with that.

I...think we're done here. You and I have very different viewpoints. You're clinging to things you were taught and sold as far as the so-called American Dream. I'm at an age where I've realized it's not the same for every American and want to focus my energy elsewhere, like the future instead of my short lifespan. But, I do understand the resentment that comes with having the rules changed on you halfway through the game. You envisioned your life one way; things changed, and you want them to go back to what your life plan was based on. Believe me, I get where you're coming from. I am fortunate to be healthy still and have many more earning years ahead of me so I haven't started to feel like I'm running out of time yet and haven't the same sense of urgency as you and your husband re the job market and healthcare, etc. I respect your stance.

I do not think it was just us older folks who got Trump elected. Apparently many younger people as well were not happy with the direction the country was taking.

And do not worry about me. My diabetes is in check, and my husband and I are still able to work. And thanks to foresight we have a nice healthy savings and a great pension once my husband does. We are lucky to have jobs where most younger people do not. And we had great healthcare until Obama. But we were not the only ones rapidly being priced out of it.

I certainly do not feel like I am running out of time and in fact am eagerly waiting the next phase of my life. I am as much as part of this country as you are and still have a very vested interest in what happens here.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1484952268|4117125 said:
monarch64|1484951654|4117119 said:

ETA:

I do not think it was just us older folks who got Trump elected. Apparently many younger people as well were not happy with the direction the country was taking.

And do not worry about me. My diabetes is in check, and my husband and I are still able to work. And thanks to foresight we have a nice healthy savings and a great pension once my husband does. We are lucky to have jobs where most younger people do not. And we had great healthcare until Obama. But we were not the only ones rapidly being priced out of it.

I certainly do not feel like I am running out of time and in fact am eagerly waiting the next phase of my life. I am as much as part of this country as you are and still have a very vested interest in what happens here.

Whoa. I was trying to extend a bit of an olive branch by offering reasons why maybe we don't relate to each other. :shock: So much for inferring positivity rather than negativity. Although I suppose I haven't exactly gone to great lengths to foster a positive interaction with you, so, fair enough. Have a good weekend.

E B

Ideal_Rock
screen_shot_2017-01-20_at_5.png

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1484948970|4117081 said:
I'm sorry; do you feel bullied? Do any women here feel bullied right now? I can point you to several safe rooms. Also the "ignore" function. Perhaps you shouldn't attempt to shush other women, Joco. It cuts both ways.

I was/am NOT attempting to shush other women; I called one person out for trying to shush someone else and being a bully. Why do you insist on ignoring the facts? Did you fall & bump your head when "leaning forward"? :confused:

Elliot86|1484949075|4117083 said:
You're coming off a little kookoo-for-cocoa-puffs-obsessed with what exactly my problem is. Maybe you should start a separate post devoted to how awful I am. I'll bring play dough and cookies and we can cry about it.

:lol: :lol: That's laughable! I'm so not obsessed with your problems - you convey them clearly in your posts, so a separate thread isn't really necessary. And I'll pass on the cookies, cry and playdough; if it worked, you would have your behavior in check vs. projecting your negativity on others.

And FTR - to you both, several women have repeatedly commented about feeling 'bullied' on this forum ... by other women who are supposedly self-proclaimed "champions of women's rights". :rolleyes: Congratulations - you are NO better than Trump and the very characteristics about him and every other "misogynist" that you claim to detest.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1484951867|4117123 said:

ETA:

Using your theory would be like me watching my designated driver have a few drinks and getting in the car with them, anyway. Hope for the best!

Your analogy makes no sense. You control whether you get into that car but you cannot control whether Trump becomes POTUS.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1484952913|4117132 said:
I'm sorry; do you feel bullied? Do any women here feel bullied right now? I can point you to several safe rooms. Also the "ignore" function. Perhaps you shouldn't attempt to shush other women, Joco. It cuts both ways.

I was/am NOT attempting to shush other women; I called one person out for trying to shush someone else and being a bully. Why do you insist on ignoring the facts? Did you fall & bump your head when "leaning forward"? :confused:

You're coming off a little kookoo-for-cocoa-puffs-obsessed with what exactly my problem is. Maybe you should start a separate post devoted to how awful I am. I'll bring play dough and cookies and we can cry about it.

:lol: :lol: That's laughable! I'm so not obsessed with your problems - you convey them clearly in your posts, so a separate thread isn't really necessary. And I'll pass on the cookies, cry and playdough; if it worked, you would have your behavior in check vs. projecting your negativity on others.

And FTR - to you both, several women have repeatedly commented about feeling 'bullied' on this forum ... by other women who are supposedly self-proclaimed "champions of women's rights". :rolleyes: Congratulations - you are NO better than Trump and the very characteristics about him and every other "misogynist" that you claim to detest.

1. I did sustain a horrible concussion at the age of 7, no memory of an entire week of my life and was told to avoid any further head injuries for the rest of my life. So yes, you're onto something there. Perhaps I have a little brain damage, yes. You happen to be ignoring my point again, though. Now let's hear your excuse.

2. There is a huge difference between bullying and casual online ribbing or repartee/discussion. I will not be censored by any poster here, and if I feel like reacting by joking about it, I will. And let's see, women have expressed here that supporting other women is unproductive and "whining." Others have expressed that sensitive "special snowflakes" are to be mocked and laughed at for seeking safe places or searching for drug-free alternatives to anxiety/stress relief. Please PLEASE oh wise one, tell me how THAT isn't bullying. Just playground teasing, right?

3. We're all hypocritical in some way, or ways, or another. Don't come at me with the word "bullying" and take away from the seriousness of that accusation. https://www.stopbullying.gov/what-is-bullying/definition/index.html

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1484953416|4117134 said:

ETA:

Your analogy makes no sense. You control whether you get into that car but you cannot control whether Trump becomes POTUS.

past behavior: watching DD imbibe. subsequent behavior: elect to let them drive you.
past behavior: watching presidential nominee act the fool consistently. subsequent behavior: vote for said fool.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some here are just nasty and can be ignored. Ribbing is one thing but that is not what others are doing. I will not be censored either. Like it or lump it. Its the effing internet. I miss Gypsy being able to post.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1484953920|4117138 said:
redwood66|1484953416|4117134 said:

ETA:

past behavior: watching DD imbibe. subsequent behavior: elect to let them drive you.
past behavior: watching presidential nominee act the fool consistently. subsequent behavior: vote for said fool.

Choice of fool or congenital liar. Guess those in more states chose the fool. We shall see how it turns out.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know you directed this to Ruby, but this is not rocket science - people generally have control over their own self, what they do, where they go, and with whom, and I can relate to situational awareness and making smart choices about those things to minimize the risk of putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation (e.g., don't walk down an unlit street alone, have your keys in your hand when walking to your car, always keep one in the chamber, etc).

We do NOT have control over someone else's actions, and when someone does wrong, commits a crime, etc., of course they should be held accountable.

But Trump was not found guilty of a crime, just like Hillary. Both leave a terrible taste in the mouth, but that doesn't warrant wishes of ill will on either.

No one is suggesting hardcore anti-Trump thumpers go to DC and hump his freakin' leg, but the non-stop 'doom and gloom', fear mongering, negativity, and crying like a two-year-old in a temper tantrum ... it doesn't help anyone, and it certainly doesn't help our country.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's too bad. You seem like you'd be real fun at a party.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1484954604|4117142 said:

I know you directed this to Ruby, but this is not rocket science - people generally have control over their own self, what they do, where they go, and with whom, and I can relate to situational awareness and making smart choices about those things to minimize the risk of putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation (e.g., don't walk down an unlit street alone, have your keys in your hand when walking to your car, always keep one in the chamber, etc).

We do NOT have control over someone else's actions, and when someone does wrong, commits a crime, etc., of course they should be held accountable.

But Trump was not found guilty of a crime, just like Hillary. Both leave a terrible taste in the mouth, but that doesn't warrant wishes of ill will on either.

No one is suggesting hardcore anti-Trump thumpers go to DC and hump his freakin' leg, but the non-stop 'doom and gloom', fear mongering, negativity, and crying like a two-year-old in a temper tantrum ... it doesn't help anyone, and it certainly doesn't help our country.
You've just described Trump's behavior.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's not rocket science, and did I bump my head. Hmm. You can twist my words around all you want to support your stance, I don't mind. I respect yours.

Situational awareness is a real slippery slope. How about women being assaulted in broad daylight on a heavily-trafficed, open, paved walking/biking trail? Never jog alone? Never leave your house? Never run without a gun? Where does it end, please? Teach your boys not to rape and stop blaming victims.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1484948824|4117080 said:
Calliecake|1484948543|4117077 said:
... I will never respect him. It says a lot about the women of this country who voted for him. ...

Callie, why do you hate and bully women so much? ............ :lol:

I'm just a nasty woman Kenny!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1484955224|4117149 said:
... I will never respect him. It says a lot about the women of this country who voted for him. ...

That's it. Dance party at my place, Janet Jackson on deck.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1484955393|4117151 said:
Calliecake|1484955224|4117149 said:

That's it. Dance party at my place, Janet Jackson on deck.

I'll bring the booze, and my guitar.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1484955014|4117148 said:

It's not rocket science, and did I bump my head. Hmm. You can twist my words around all you want to support your stance, I don't mind. I respect yours.

Situational awareness is a real slippery slope. How about women being assaulted in broad daylight on a heavily-trafficed, open, paved walking/biking trail? Never jog alone? Never leave your house? Never run without a gun? Where does it end, please? Teach your boys not to rape and stop blaming victims.

I'm genuinely confused about how Ruby is up in arms about the use of the word Pvssy, but yet feels this way:
I was also brought up in a time where women were told to not put themselves into a situation that you cannot handle. So yes, getting drunk, going home with a strange man, and then wondering why things happen a certain way, does not mean I believe in rape culture. It means that I was taught and taught my children as well, just like you do not walk home through dark alleys at night, you can not hope on blind faith that the man you went home with will have the same morals you do or is capable of exercising restraint.

And yes, that DOES mean you believe in rape culture. You are part of rape culture if you have that attitude, plain and simple.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Why would you have to specifically teach a boy not to rape? If you are teaching them right from wrong since babies they should know how to be respectful. Its a parent's responsibility to teach their children to behave both boys and girls. Fewer parents are doing this. Actions and inactions have consequences. Take from that what you will. How your kids act is how they will be regarded by others. That is just the way the world works.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
lovedogs|1484955976|4117159 said:

I am in no way condoning it, and you know it.

If a man tries to have sex with a woman and she says no, he is dead wrong. He raped her. She is right, he is wrong. But at the end of the day her life will never be the same.

That is why my way is to not put your self into that situation to begin with.

I'm genuinely confused about how Ruby is up in arms about the use of the word Pvssy, but yet feels this way:
I was also brought up in a time where women were told to not put themselves into a situation that you cannot handle. So yes, getting drunk, going home with a strange man, and then wondering why things happen a certain way, does not mean I believe in rape culture. It means that I was taught and taught my children as well, just like you do not walk home through dark alleys at night, you can not hope on blind faith that the man you went home with will have the same morals you do or is capable of exercising restraint.

And yes, that DOES mean you believe in rape culture. You are part of rape culture if you have that attitude, plain and simple.

If a man tries to have sex with a woman and she says no, he is dead wrong. He raped her. She is right, he is wrong. But at the end of the day her life will never be the same.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1484953672|4117135 said:

1. I did sustain a horrible concussion at the age of 7, no memory of an entire week of my life and was told to avoid any further head injuries for the rest of my life. So yes, you're onto something there. Perhaps I have a little brain damage, yes. You happen to be ignoring my point again, though. Now let's hear your excuse.

Did you make a point? I only saw accusations. What exactly IS your point?

2. There is a huge difference between bullying and casual online ribbing or repartee/discussion. I will not be censored by any poster here, and if I feel like reacting by joking about it, I will. And let's see, women have expressed here that supporting other women is unproductive and "whining." Others have expressed that sensitive "special snowflakes" are to be mocked and laughed at for seeking safe places or searching for drug-free alternatives to anxiety/stress relief. Please PLEASE oh wise one, tell me how THAT isn't bullying. Just playground teasing, right?

Funny you mention that; when I commented once (on here) that firemen sometimes joke about things to help deal with difficult situations, I was accused of minimizing someone's feelings or something. You may have been 'ribbing', but what I inferred from Elliott's post (that I initially commented on so not sure why you're injecting yourself into it :confused: ) as well as many of her others, has been an ongoing barrage of bullying and unnecessary rudeness - period. You can make excuses for poor behavior if you want and you can laugh at it if it makes you feel better; I choose to call an azz and azz, and stand up for those who are bullied.

You AND Elliott mocked your safe spaces, playdough, etc. in this thread; not me. Stop projecting.

3. We're all hypocritical in some way, or ways, or another. Don't come at me with the word "bullying" and take away from the seriousness of that accusation. https://www.stopbullying.gov/what-is-bullying/definition/index.html

No one was 'coming at YOU' with anything; you injected yourself into the discussion, and 'assumed' the accusation, so perhaps you feel the shoe fits. I know bullying is a serious matter. Do you not believe adults can be bullied? That it only happens to school aged kids on playgrounds? Because you read it on one website?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1484956004|4117160 said:

Why would you have to specifically teach a boy not to rape? If you are teaching them right from wrong since babies they should know how to be respectful. Its a parent's responsibility to teach their children to behave both boys and girls. Fewer parents are doing this. Actions and inactions have consequences. Take from that what you will. How your kids act is how they will be regarded by others. That is just the way the world works.

Absolutely nothing pushes my buttons more than what you just posted, Red, so I am not going to engage in a debate about this with you. I have said my piece on the matter time and again here on PS, in various threads, over the past 10 years. With people above a certain age group, and those with certain religious views, it falls on deaf ears so conditioned to think their way is the right way that it is pointless for me to say anything else about it. If you are satisfied with "that is just the way the world works," that's your problem, not mine. I intend to change how the world works, if ever so slightly. Because I still have hope.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1484956375|4117166 said:
lovedogs|1484955976|4117159 said:

My problem with your "way" is that is doesn't work. What does "not put yourself into that situation" even mean?! People get assaulted in daylight all the time, or by people they know and trust. That attitude puts blame on the victim because it assumes she (or he) put themselves into a situation and that they somehow had control over the outcome. That is my problem with your reasoning--it implies that victims can control where and when people attack them. It's a faulty and incorrect narrative that leads to victim blaming.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1484956958|4117175 said:
redwood66|1484956004|4117160 said:

Absolutely nothing pushes my buttons more than what you just posted, Red, so I am not going to engage in a debate about this with you. I have said my piece on the matter time and again here on PS, in various threads, over the past 10 years. With people above a certain age group, and those with certain religious views, it falls on deaf ears so conditioned to think their way is the right way that it is pointless for me to say anything else about it. If you are satisfied with "that is just the way the world works," that's your problem, not mine. I intend to change how the world works, if ever so slightly. Because I still have hope.

Tell that to all the rapists and murderers I have met personally. I am sorry that it pushes your buttons but I live in the real world and have seen the nastiest things you can imagine. Those people did not get taught how to behave or function in the society as it exists. Teach kids to be a free spirit and that there will be no consequences for their actions if you like. I choose to teach reality and respect to mine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results