shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone else getting tired of all the halo styles?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TC1987|1375996219|3499224 said:
No, I am not getting tired of them. Done well, I consider them some of the most gorgeous rings out there. When I first found PS, back in 2003 or 2004, the most popular settings seemed to be the Vatche Royal Crown. Then Reena and Lovey got their Leon halos, the Royal Crown and other solitaires were dropped like hot potatoes, and the race was on. :lol: But I prefer that bolder look of the 2003-2006 or son rings, and I don't like tiny pave' or lacy dainty halos at all.

Reena's: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/you-can-call-me-reeyonce.21349/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/you-can-call-me-reeyonce.21349/[/URL]

Lovey's; [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/he-proposed.24433/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/he-proposed.24433/[/URL]

Mara got an upgrade and a halo, and Lynn halo'd hers. Both have changed styles if not diamonds since.

Everyone wanted an Asscher for a while, there. Then they traded them in for RBs.

Then, later, MaryAlaina and some other prominent PS people flocked to Whiteflash for their Tiffany solitaire mounting.

Styles come and go. 8 years ago, people were asking whether we thought that the halo style would look dated. 8 years later, it's still going strong and probably is just now catching on in some places.
Is still a rare item here in rural USA. :lol:

I bought a couple of white gold 18k halo mountings in 2004 when a half decent one could still be bought for $800 - $1200, although it was no Leon or Steven or Victor. I live in a very small and unsophisticated rural town. I moved to this small town in late 2005, and people here had never seen a halo, were still wearing yellow gold, and still clinging to marquise diamonds and 1980s e-ring and wedding set styles. That never changed here until literally about 2-3 years ago!

What I've been begging to see is something high-end done with cocktail ring mountings. I'm not married. I don't need bridal jewelry and will not need any in the future.

I agree with ya, TC! Ring trends are just that... trends. When/if halos go completely out, we'll all likely reset them -- but we may as well keep the halo setting for the next 10 years, when they're back in style... again. And when the "next big thing" in bridal jewelry comes around, we'll jump on that too and reset our rings if we want to. Until that time comes, I'm loving the halos! Bring 'em on! :lol: ;)) :halo:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is Tremblant? I know its a ski range north of Montreal --- but what is it in a jewelry design? I'm curious!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1376018319|3499478 said:
What is Tremblant? I know its a ski range north of Montreal --- but what is it in a jewelry design? I'm curious!

Haha that ski range is all I got when I googled it. That and a Superbowl ring.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1375989269|3499166 said:
lindacat|1375985713|3499112 said:
Maybe it is just me, but I am really tired of seeing nothing but halo styles in rings/engagement rings. None of them are new and different anymore - just the same old thing. I think they are pretty - and they were quite different several years ago when they first came on the scene, but now just tired looking in my opinion. I keep seeing all these postings for people thinking that their ring is so unque and different, when it is just another halo. Any new designs out there???!!!

I agree that there are a lot of halos... However, there are a lot of solitaires and pave bands as well. Everything comes and goes in fashion. Halos were "trendy" way earlier than PS, so I don't see them going anywhere. I think halos are another of the "timeless" styles (solitaire, three stone), but they are just everywhere right now.

Who knows... maybe halos will go out of style and be known as an early 2000s fad?? I know when I see certain cuts (princess, marquise), they remind me of the era when they were so popular. Guess we'll just have to wait and see -- time will tell! :sun:

However, I am tired of seeing poorly made halos IRL. ::)

I also agree that halos will become one of the timeless styles, and will look better in some circumstances than others, and will look better when well made than when not. I particularly like them with certain cuts, (AVC!!!), but I am currently loving solitaire step cuts with skinny pave bands. With so many PSers with huge rocks, and beautiful, tasteful and classic settings, I appreciate each one for it's uniqueness.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if this is what you mean but here is the Lang Antiques Definition of "En Tremblant" -

"En tremblant" is a French term - meaning "to tremble". It was first used to describe 18th and 19th century jewelry where parts of the diamond set pieces were attached to a trembler to create movement in the jewel when worn. Brooches mounted in this way were particularly effective in reflecting the scintillating fire of candlelight.

And by that definition here is a modern day example;

http://www.artofplatinum.com/index.php/shop-now/shop-now/designer-ruby-jewelry-detail

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a good, well made halo. Where they're set properly and evenly. The only halos I hate are the ones you see all over the internet when you look up "halo engagement ring" on Pinterest or Instagram. Those poorly made ones really are awful, and in THOSE cases, yes I'm sick of halos. I'm also sick of the average population thinking their rings are "vintage" or "vintage inspired" just because it has a halo. Modern halos are not vintage in the least.

Halos look fabulous with antique cuts, since it offers the "tiny sparkle" on the perimeter of a diamond with large facet sparkles. Besides, finger coverage, HELLOOOOO? ;)) Hehe.

ALL my rings, minus one, have halos. I have all different styles of halos: the aforementioned sh*ttily made halo, a finely made micro pave halo, and a metal buttercup halo (no diamonds!). I love them!!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never been a halo fan for my personal collection and I do think they tend to be a bit overdone, BUT I've seen many beautiful halo'ed rings and other jewelry here on PS, and there's many a halo'ed ring that I wouldn't turn down if it were offered to me. :wink2: As far as fads go, I think the halo style is rooted in traditional styles and is probably more durable than many others that have come and gone in the past few decades... anybody remember freeform, waterfall, and diamond bridge shank rings? :wink2:

img_2839_0.jpg

diamond-waterfall-cocktail-ring-wm7971i.jpg

images-2_1.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or the BIG chunky rings of the 80s ballerina halos don't really do it for me. :lol: Bezels seem to come and go as well.....

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1376022675|3499523 said:
I've never been a halo fan for my personal collection and I do think they tend to be a bit overdone, BUT I've seen many beautiful halo'ed rings and other jewelry here on PS, and there's many a halo'ed ring that I wouldn't turn down if it were offered to me. :wink2: As far as fads go, I think the halo style is rooted in traditional styles and is probably more durable than many others that have come and gone in the past few decades... anybody remember freeform, waterfall, and diamond bridge shank rings? :wink2:

img_2839_0.jpg

images-2_1.jpg

A friend of ours just proposed with a bridge (emerald center) 8)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello, I've read this site/forum for a year now and joined recently.. every ring I have seen here is stunning.. truly.. and an expression of the wearer's style, grace, form and money :) true dat. That said I have never liked the halo.. the halo to me interferes with the beauty of a great stone.. when I see halos in real life I see what my husband calls diamond dust and not the true stone.. BUT I can see why people like them.. they are works of art often.. the trend in retro/art deco/way back as in cuts of diamond each show a change in time where women/(men :) are looking to be a little 'different' or a lot bolder.. this is normal and women have been doing this for eons.. :) the double halo and the halo style where the diamond (the big one) is situated higher than the rest of the ring both look to me like what I would call 'dinner rings' fancy... but to be worn after 5:00.. but as I said, rules change.. I have had 3 'engagement' stones in my life, the first was an 1.5 old European cut that my exhusband got from his mom .. I didn't know it was an OEC.. the guy who set it for us called it an 'old miner' but from what I see that is not exactly true.. it was a round cut.. that stone had warmth, brilliance and a bit of fire...... finally returned it to his family many years after the divorce as my former MIL called and implied she finally wanted it back.. so back it went.. my wonderful husband of 26 years first gave me a 1 carat oval cut, we bought it in the diamond district in '87, D color, gorgeous color BUT as the year progressed the danged dark bow drove me crazy.. I then quit smoking (yay!!!) and could get an UPGRADE.. off back to the city and we upgraded (yes back in 86 this shop had an upgrade policy) we upgraded to a 1.65 round brilliant, G/H color, VS2 (so the jewler said and I had an appraisal for insurance in 1997 that said the same).. in '88 that stone cost 7,700K (with tax), I just had it reset AGAIN and it the goldsmith thought it would cost 17K today.. who knows.. don't know the cut per se... with this stone I've had the original 4 prong tiffany (that twisted and broke ((2 kids)), next I had it reset into an 18K gold band with 24 princess cuts on the side(s) , that was a beautiful ring.. BUT I wanted white gold.. (white gold back in) so we reset 3 years ago into this setting that had .93 carats of baguettes.. it was a very thick band.. I was greedy :) all of a sudden my stone (which while it ain't 3 carats, it is a nice stone) looked teeny.. I HATED it.. I couldn't very well ask my husband for ANOTHER reset so I worked on it for 3 years and recently had the baguettes taken out of the gold, had a jeweler (C Kirk Root in Austin TX) make a 14K white gold band, with 4 prong platinum prongs and the 8 baguettes set east west into the gold.. it's a lovely lovely ring... compared to the previous setting my diamond POPS.. my long story of loving diamonds is to point out why halos don't do much for me.. the stone get's lost in all the little diamonds.. I like a modern, classic setting with some side diamonds.. but then again, while I am getting on to doddering old age I love modern anything the look, sleek, lined and clear.. every woman who loves diamonds, I think, loves sparkle, light and color and shine.. I love looking at everyone's rings and styles. It took me 26 years to get the setting that finally said ME :) here's a pointer about Blue Nile http://www.glamour.com/weddings/blogs/save-the-date/2013/08/blue-niles-5-most-pinned-engag.html

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a well made halo ring :love: however for me that would not work, I like actually seeing my diamond and a halo kinda of covers that up and I would think some of them would be high maintenance, I am not into high maintenance jewelry. However with that being said I would LOVE to have a halo RHR I have a beautiful pink tourmaline that I would love to halo....it would be stunning. As far as the cluster rings and three stones, ha I have both :wink2:

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
Like so many of you have said, there are PS Halos, which I never tire of, and there are IRL halos that I never liked. I really wanted a micropave ring for awhile, and then I realized that with my lifestyle that was just asking for trouble. I've settled on a lovely antique cut with a solitaire setting (now I just have to convince the SO) and some stackers for bling and interest. I do have a lovely 4 carat sapphire that I would eventually like to have set in a micropave halo for a RHR, but I must save my pennies for that.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1376022675|3499523 said:

img_2839_0.jpg

images-2_1.jpg

OMG, VRBeauty!! I totally had one of the "freeform" rings in junior high and high school (circa '94-ish... yeah, kinda gives away my age...) :???: I loved that ring -- it was 14K yellow gold and vaguely resembled a N/S oriented infinity sign. It looped over and met with a little 6-8 point diamond. Man, I loved that ring! :lol:

Confession: I still have it.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I talked to my jeweler he said that 90% of his custom jobs coming in right now are halos. I asked if he thought it was a trend and he said "No, I don't ever see myself saying "hey remember in 2013 when we did all those halos?" :lol:

Interesting that someone brought up marquis coming back in style. I know I really wanted a pear, but decided an RBC would be the more practical choice. I couldn't GIVE away my marquis stone, so I had it re-set and kept it as a right-hand cocktail ring.

I am NOT a fan of princess cuts, but I STILL see them chosen most as e-rings in my area. (East coast...)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1376056236|3499647 said:
When I talked to my jeweler he said that 90% of his custom jobs coming in right now are halos. I asked if he thought it was a trend and he said "No, I don't ever see myself saying "hey remember in 2013 when we did all those halos?" :lol:

Interesting that someone brought up marquis coming back in style. I know I really wanted a pear, but decided an RBC would be the more practical choice. I couldn't GIVE away my marquis stone, so I had it re-set and kept it as a right-hand cocktail ring.

I am NOT a fan of princess cuts, but I STILL see them chosen most as e-rings in my area. (East coast...)
Had you actually posted it on LT or DB?

You can't sell them for much as you can go on eBay and find a million. But I find they do sell when posted on those sites for reasonable prices ( and being a well cut stone)

But I still think they are coming back. Not tiny ones, or sliver thin ones. But 2:1 ratios or smaller and 1ct or larger.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1376057140|3499664 said:

You can't sell them for much as you can go on eBay and find a million. But I find they do sell when posted on those sites for reasonable prices ( and being a well cut stone)

But I still think they are coming back. Not tiny ones, or sliver thin ones. But 2:1 ratios or smaller and 1ct or larger.

no, I hadn't. My jeweler just told me that marquis were not desirable. He wouldn't buy it or do a credit with it, so I opted for making it into a cocktail ring. Mine is under a carat, too. It was appraised in the ring and estimated to be a carat. Imagine my surprise when it came out and was about .86 or something.... :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1376057279|3499671 said:
Niel|1376057140|3499664 said:

no, I hadn't. My jeweler just told me that marquis were not desirable. He wouldn't buy it or do a credit with it, so I opted for making it into a cocktail ring. Mine is under a carat, too. It was appraised in the ring and estimated to be a carat. Imagine my surprise when it came out and was about .86 or something.... :lol:

Oh OK. I've went into a local jewelry store asking about marquise before. They told me they don't take them in anymore because sooooo many people who got them in the 80s want to trade them in now...... they just have too many. He had a cute chubby one but it was. 86 CTS and he was asking over 4k!! No thanks. I'll take my 800 dollar one. :lol:

I jut think they are slowly coming into fashion again, not fast enough for the slew of 80s one people are trying to get rid of.

A friend of mine. Same age, early 20s. Said e ring decision was between a princes and a marquise!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1376020129|3499501 said:
The only halos I hate are the ones you see all over the internet when you look up "halo engagement ring" on Pinterest or Instagram. Those poorly made ones really are awful, and in THOSE cases, yes I'm sick of halos. I'm also sick of the average population thinking their rings are "vintage" or "vintage inspired" just because it has a halo. Modern halos are not vintage in the least.

Amen, mandelise! I hate to feel like a jewelry snob, but it really irks me when someone says, "...yeah, I saw a bunch of halos just like yours at the mall!!" ...ummm, no you didn't. :roll: :| That's not what you saw. :nono:

Funny story:
About a month ago, one of my coworkers was talking about the type ring he wanted to get for his GF. I was on PS (yeah... at work. BUSTED!! :shock: ) and he saw one of the VC Emilyas posted. He looked at it and commented on how pretty it was and asked where he could get it. I told him that it was a Victor Canera and he could get a custom quote online. Knowing he wouldn't understand or appreciate such work, I just changed the subject. Ohhhhh no... he wanted to know the website, how much it cost, the wait time, etc... So, I told him. The look on his face was priceless! :lol: He responded with something along the lines of how stupid that would be, because he could get the exact same ring at Kay. <pause for shock>

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
As a halo ring owner (three stone, in fact!), I enjoy the look!
To be honest, I rarely see people with that style outside of PS, but like a few here have said, it might be a full on trend very soon (which sucks, b/c I'm not a fan of 'trendy').

That said, I don't like sloppy looking halos, which I've seen before.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Halos are an old, classic design. There are antique rings with a ring of diamonds around them. Thirty-something years ago, Princess Diana's ring was a sapphire with halo and millions got copies of that, including me!, so this is not really a new fad. I will say for myself that quality is everything. A Victor Canera halo..yes! But most rings sold in average jewelry stores aren't anywhere near that quality. But I seriously want a Singlestone halo with an AVC if I ever am able to do it. Beautiful antique designs are timeless, and that is what I would personally go for. A great example is Yenny's ring. No one on earth has her exact ring partly because she has a unique and rare diamond paired with a very uncommon and gorgeous setting. I love her setting and the second one twosanguineheart's had made.

The reason OEC's haven't caught on is that not everyone knows about them, and the supply is extremely small compared to mrb's. Newly cut ones like AVR's are even more rare.

I think a lot of young couples getting engaged do not have a huge budget for a ring, and that is why the tiffany style setting will always be a best seller and a classic good choice!

diamondenvy1

Rough_Rock
Trade
They are elegant and classic but, yes, all the various halo rings put out by jewelers really do start to look the same after a while.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Oh OK. I've went into a local jewelry store asking about marquise before. They told me they don't take them in anymore because sooooo many people who got them in the 80s want to trade them in now...... they just have too many. He had a cute chubby one but it was. 86 CTS and he was asking over 4k!! No thanks. I'll take my 800 dollar one. :lol:

I jut think they are slowly coming into fashion again, not fast enough for the slew of 80s one people are trying to get rid of.

A friend of mine. Same age, early 20s. Said e ring decision was between a princes and a marquise![/quote]"

Neil,
Did I just read that you paid only $800 for that beautiful marquise ring you just acquired? My oh my what a steal! Love a good deal and girl, you found the steal of the year! Very impressed.

Sorry to thread jack with that but I am shocked at your awesome buy! Love it and the setting! Good for you!
:appl:

As for the halo question, I love a great quality one like I see on PS (especially msop04's, yours is stunning!) but the mall halos turn me off and I don't like trends either.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sandeek|1376059892|3499699 said:
As for the halo question, I love a great quality one like I see on PS (especially msop04's, yours is stunning!) but the mall halos turn me off and I don't like trends either.

Thanks, Sandeek! :))

I swore that I would never ever EVER like marquise shaped stones, but... some of the prettiest rings to me have been the E/W set marquise in halos!! My mind started to change a while back when Catherine Zeta-Jones got her ering from Michael Douglas. I'd never seen a marquise set that way before, thus starting my slow, but steady fascination with the E/W marquise. And, like most PS members, I prefer a chubby marquise.

Now, if we could just get a princess in a halo with marquise on the sides, we'd be in business! J/K!!! ...sort of. :lol: ;))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1376060271|3499702 said:
Sandeek|1376059892|3499699 said:

Thanks, Sandeek! :))

I swore that I would never ever EVER like marquise shaped stones, but... some of the prettiest rings to me have been the E/W set marquise in halos!! My mind started to change a while back when Catherine Zeta-Jones got her ering from Michael Douglas. I'd never seen a marquise set that way before, thus starting my slow, but steady fascination with the E/W marquise. And, like most PS members, I prefer a chubby marquise.

Now, if we could just get a princess in a halo with marquise on the sides, we'd be in business! J/K!!! ...sort of. :lol: ;))

Oh I could not have been more in that boat! Marquise were hideous and tacky and I'd never have one. That's how I thought of them in my head. Then I saw one over a ct and I was like " hmmm actually that's not half bad"

Then I saw one in a modern setting and I got more intrigued.

Then I saw one in my hand and I was SOLD!

I feel like they are really cool and can really make a comeback, they are just digging themselves out of the 80s hole they are in.

But wide eyed teen agers who's never seen one before will see posh spice and come to PS in about 8 years looking for one!

Americas fingers are getting too big and diamonds too expensive. I'm sure they are the solution. :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1376061647|3499714 said:
I feel like they are really cool and can really make a comeback, they are just digging themselves out of the 80s hole they are in.

But wide eyed teen agers who's never seen one before will see posh spice and come to PS in about 8 years looking for one!

Americas fingers are getting too big and diamonds too expensive. I'm sure they are the solution. :lol:

Preach. :lol:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1376057599|3499675 said:
Funny story:
About a month ago, one of my coworkers was talking about the type ring he wanted to get for his GF. I was on PS (yeah... at work. BUSTED!! :shock: ) and he saw one of the VC Emilyas posted. He looked at it and commented on how pretty it was and asked where he could get it. I told him that it was a Victor Canera and he could get a custom quote online. Knowing he wouldn't understand or appreciate such work, I just changed the subject. Ohhhhh no... he wanted to know the website, how much it cost, the wait time, etc... So, I told him. The look on his face was priceless! :lol: He responded with something along the lines of how stupid that would be, because he could get the exact same ring at Kay. <pause for shock>

Good GOD! :lol: :o

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
bump

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
msop04|1376057599|3499675 said:
madelise|1376020129|3499501 said:
The only halos I hate are the ones you see all over the internet when you look up "halo engagement ring" on Pinterest or Instagram. Those poorly made ones really are awful, and in THOSE cases, yes I'm sick of halos. I'm also sick of the average population thinking their rings are "vintage" or "vintage inspired" just because it has a halo. Modern halos are not vintage in the least.

Amen, mandelise! I hate to feel like a jewelry snob, but it really irks me when someone says, "...yeah, I saw a bunch of halos just like yours at the mall!!" ...ummm, no you didn't. :roll: :| That's not what you saw. :nono:

Funny story:

Lord. That's like saying a GM and a Ferrari are the same thing because they are both CARS.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
This is a tough question because I can find rings mouthwateringly gorgeous (i.e some halo stunners on Pricescope) but still not like them for me. I have never liked halos personally as they are too busy for me. I dont like solitaires either....too plain. I like a large stone with side stones......I love big stones set low with a pair of colored sides or maybe a pair of fancy cut diamond sides. I guess in the end it is a lot like diamond shape--it is our personality that dictates what we find attractive. So I am not tired of them per se. I like them on other people!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
As a person who's neither married nor engaged, I don't have a whole lot of interest in most halos. I do see some beauties on here, though. And I do have one myself that I like. The halo itself sits down on my hand, which I like much better than a donut look. Plus, the stones aren't all round, that adds a lot of interest to me.

MR4-LW-PS.jpg

LW-SQhalo-shankside.jpg

2of4.jpg

Pendant-SqHalo.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results