shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone else getting tired of all the halo styles?

lindacat

Rough_Rock
Maybe it is just me, but I am really tired of seeing nothing but halo styles in rings/engagement rings. None of them are new and different anymore - just the same old thing. I think they are pretty - and they were quite different several years ago when they first came on the scene, but now just tired looking in my opinion. I keep seeing all these postings for people thinking that their ring is so unque and different, when it is just another halo. Any new designs out there???!!!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
lindacat|1375985713|3499112 said:
Maybe it is just me, but I am really tired of seeing nothing but halo styles in rings/engagement rings. None of them are new and different anymore - just the same old thing. I think they are pretty - and they were quite different several years ago when they first came on the scene, but now just tired looking in my opinion. I keep seeing all these postings for people thinking that their ring is so unque and different, when it is just another halo. Any new designs out there???!!!

I hardly ever see halos off of PS. But anyhow I think PS picks up trends and then you see come out mabye 18 months later. I think french cuts and rose gold will be huge later this year / next year.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not tired of them but they don't seem like anything new to me. I don't have one and would still like to have a RHR halo someday.
I still find most of them really pretty but would like to see something new.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

I've noticed some acquaintances who've upgraded all have done pave or halo-type styles that have been on PS for years. Some pieces have too much pave and that will probably be the style that becomes dated like 80's-style settings.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will admit at times soooo many HW style halos bores me. I can appreciate the craftsmenship, but doesn't excite me at all

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked about 6 months ago the same thing....time to move on.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there are amazing halos on PS I believe just like everything else it is a taste thing...and craftsmanship. Done well they are amazing. I don't like pears or marquise but that doesn't mean anything. :bigsmile: but that they at not right for me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are many good reasons why they are popular. For me, owning one halo is sufficient and prefer my rings to look different from each other. If I have to have more than 1 halo ring, then the designs must be sufficiently different to the eye at first glance.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree that there are a lot of halos... However, there are a lot of solitaires and pave bands as well. Everything comes and goes in fashion. Halos were "trendy" way earlier than PS, so I don't see them going anywhere. I think halos are another of the "timeless" styles (solitaire, three stone), but they are just everywhere right now.

Who knows... maybe halos will go out of style and be known as an early 2000s fad?? I know when I see certain cuts (princess, marquise), they remind me of the era when they were so popular. Guess we'll just have to wait and see -- time will tell! :sun:

However, I am tired of seeing poorly made halos IRL. ::)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On my 8.5 size finger, a halo is a cheaper way of giving me the finger coverage I NEED (ok... want... ;-))
BUT - I'm sticking with one halo in the e-ring collection for now. I am REALLY digging my solitaires lately... My halo e-ring is more like a solo artist, where as the solitaires and the ability to stack bands with them - more like a solid ROCK BAND!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
msop04|1375989269|3499166 said:
None of them are new and different anymore - just the same old thing. I think they are pretty - and they were quite different several years ago when they first came on the scene, but now

I agree that there are a lot of halos... However, there are a lot of solitaires and pave bands as well. Everything comes and goes in fashion. Halos were "trendy" way earlier than PS, so I don't see them going anywhere. I think halos are another of the "timeless" styles (solitaire, three stone), but they are just everywhere right now.

Who knows... maybe halos will go out of style and be known as an early 2000s fad?? I know when I see certain cuts (princess, marquise), they remind me of the era when they were so popular. Guess we'll just have to wait and see -- time will tell! :sun:

However, I am tired of seeing poorly made halos IRL. ::)

I agree with everything I quoted- when I came onto PS almost 8 yrs ago, halos were definitely new and exciting.

While they aren't for me or my thing, I do understand their appeal- the extra finger coverage, and size impression that they give. At one point in time cluster rings were popular, I see them occasionally sold as estate pieces, as well as a budget option at some B&M stores, but more often as earrings.
I don't know if halos will go that way, because I think that diamond halos around colored gemstones have been around for ages (see Princess Diana (now Katherine's) ring- unlike the cluster rings of yesteryear.
I feel that there are huge trends in bridal- like strapless gowns were considered avant garde and borderline shocking 20 yrs ago, but now make up more than half of the dresses on the market. When I shopped for gowns 7+ yrs ago they made up more than 80% of the gowns, but now that trend has ebbed.

Oh- I almost forgot that I had a stone set in a halo pendant, so I guess they are my thing- but not in a ring. LOL.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first got my halo in 2007 I never saw them in real life, now I see them fairly often and I get a little sad that they're much more common. I do have an asscher halo that is bezeled and it does stand out amongst the crowd though. It is also the only halo I will own. It's needing a bit of a refurb soon and I think I will have engraving added to it.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I wanted a halo for so long and never really found 'the one' and just recently I've begun to shy away from them. I agree they don't excite me much anymore, unless there is some interesting detail kwim? I don't think that they are going anywhere though, they've been around a long long time...my first piece of fine jewelry was a haloed sapphire from my dad one Christmas when I was high school, and I don't want to tell you how long ago that was. :o

I think that we are going to start seeing lots of emerald cuts, ovals and perhaps even marquises coming back and being set east/west. I see lots of rose gold and mixed metals too. It was nice to see colored stones make a popular appearance for an engagement ring, but as the economy improves I think we will start to see less of them again....I hope not though. :((

What are your predictions??

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
msop04|1375989269|3499166 said:
However, there are a lot of solitaires and pave bands as well. Everything comes and goes in fashion.

Have to disagree on this point.

Solitaires do not go out of fashion. We've all seen rings from 150 years ago in this style, and the style remains very popular today.

If you truly want a trend-proof piece, solitaire is the best way to go.

The specific setting for the solitaire may be another story, as some 'modern' pieces from 20 years ago look pretty dated today.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
No, I am not getting tired of them. Done well, I consider them some of the most gorgeous rings out there. When I first found PS, back in 2003 or 2004, the most popular settings seemed to be the Vatche Royal Crown. Then Reena and Lovey got their Leon halos, the Royal Crown and other solitaires were dropped like hot potatoes, and the race was on. :lol: But I prefer that bolder look of the 2003-2006 or son rings, and I don't like tiny pave' or lacy dainty halos at all.

Reena's: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/you-can-call-me-reeyonce.21349/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/you-can-call-me-reeyonce.21349/[/URL]

Lovey's; [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/he-proposed.24433/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/he-proposed.24433/[/URL]

Mara got an upgrade and a halo, and Lynn halo'd hers. Both have changed styles if not diamonds since.

Everyone wanted an Asscher for a while, there. Then they traded them in for RBs.

Then, later, MaryAlaina and some other prominent PS people flocked to Whiteflash for their Tiffany solitaire mounting.

Styles come and go. 8 years ago, people were asking whether we thought that the halo style would look dated. 8 years later, it's still going strong and probably is just now catching on in some places. Is still a rare item here in rural USA. :lol:

I bought a couple of white gold 18k halo mountings in 2004 when a half decent one could still be bought for $800 - $1200, although it was no Leon or Steven or Victor. I live in a very small and unsophisticated rural town. I moved to this small town in late 2005, and people here had never seen a halo, were still wearing yellow gold, and still clinging to marquise diamonds and 1980s e-ring and wedding set styles. That never changed here until literally about 2-3 years ago!

What I've been begging to see is something high-end done with cocktail ring mountings. I'm not married. I don't need bridal jewelry and will not need any in the future.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1375994967|3499211 said:
I wanted a halo for so long and never really found 'the one' and just recently I've begun to shy away from them. I agree they don't excite me much anymore, unless there is some interesting detail kwim? I don't think that they are going anywhere though, they've been around a long long time...my first piece of fine jewelry was a haloed sapphire from my dad one Christmas when I was high school, and I don't want to tell you how long ago that was. :o

I think that we are going to start seeing lots of emerald cuts, ovals and perhaps even marquises coming back and being set east/west. I see lots of rose gold and mixed metals too. It was nice to see colored stones make a popular appearance for an engagement ring, but as the economy improves I think we will start to see less of them again....I hope not though. :((

What are your predictions??

In my opinion ovals marquise and pears will make a comeback.

Two reasons.

Size.... diamonds keep getting more expensive. And as people can afford less CTW, they will try and buy rings that look as big as possible. Same reason IMO halos are so popular. Diamonds are too expensive for the size Americans want.

Second reason

The next generation will not associate marquise or other shapes with being dated as much as people shopping for rings do now. I think princesses will be the next marquise. I being a taaad bit younger, and the boom of princesses being only a little before my time, I find them tired and dated.

Everything comes around. And I think because everyone was in a rush to get rind of there marquise, so many youngins aren't familiar, and will gravitate.

Also I think road and yellow gold will come back for. The same reason as my second reason of the shapes, and also because as diamonds again become more expensive, people will drop down in diamond color and mask it with colored gold.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Another way to look at it is that while people may see lots of halos here (and like them or not like them), the person whose halo it IS may not have ever had one before and likes them. I'm certainly not going to rain on their parade to enjoy the setting style for some time. Maybe they'll change it again later on, who knows. To each their own. Solitaires will never go out of style (though I don't particularly like them) and I don't think halos in some form or fashion will either. When I reviewed previous pieces of jewelry that I had, almost all of them involved a center stone with some sort of surround. They have been around since at least Victorian or Georgian times, and got revamped in Art Deco, and right now, they just happen to be popular again. Nothing wrong with it.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
bastetcat|1375996692|3499230 said:
Another way to look at it is that while people may see lots of halos here (and like them or not like them), the person whose halo it IS may not have ever had one before and likes them. I'm certainly not going to rain on their parade to enjoy the setting style for some time. Maybe they'll change it again later on, who knows. To each their own. Solitaires will never go out of style (though I don't particularly like them) and I don't think halos in some form or fashion will either. When I reviewed previous pieces of jewelry that I had, almost all of them involved a center stone with some sort of surround. They have been around since at least Victorian or Georgian times, and got revamped in Art Deco, and right now, they just happen to be popular again. Nothing wrong with it.

I definitely agree with the bolded! Outside of PS I still rarely see a halo, so if I were to suddenly appear with one tomorrow, many people would think that it was new and stylish. I suppose that's the gem and curse of PS, there are so many gorgeous rings and so much inspiration for new and beautiful pieces that we move faster than many others out there.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you say the same about old european cut diamonds, especially in octagon or antique settings? These seem to be becoming more and more frequent on PS, but mainstream society has yet to rediscover them.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
nala|1375998428|3499257 said:
Could you say the same about old european cut diamonds, especially in octagon or antique settings? These seem to be becoming more and more frequent on PS, but mainstream society has yet to rediscover them.

I really thought old cuts were going to blow up after Miley Cyrus' engagement. Still hasn't happened...

I am not 'tired' of halos. My engagement ring (which I now never wear) is a Leon Reena-inspired halo -- every time I take it out of it's little square home, I am amazed. The craftsmanship, details, and pure SPARKLE from it are amazing. Halos provide a lot of presence, when the same effect using JUST a center stone would be prohibitively expensive. In that sense, they provide big amounts of 'pretty' on a budget - I can see why the public has grabbed on to them with both hands.

That being said, I AM tired of seeing poorly created halos. Lumpy metalwork, giant prongs, poorly cut and included melee (you know a diamond should have been put on a saw blade when you can see inclusions in 2 pointers, lol). No pride of craftsmanship, just mass created junk - that's what I'm tired of.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. Bring on the halos..... :appl:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
A perfectly executed halo is stunning to me. Bring them on! I'll look at millions of them! I'll probably not go that route for an ering myself because I'm very active and don't think I'd do well babying the pave. But a VC haloed pad as a special occasion right hand ring. Oh, yes please.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a great thread!

I think there is kind of a 2-speed trend economy here; Firstly PS trends - AVC/OEC & platinum/rose gold galore then Real World trends... :lol:
I've been here since ummm... 2008 and definitely noticed the halo - asscher - AVC trends. Even gemstone trends here are massive! Hard not to get sucked into the Paraibia - spess - spinel trends when you see such lovely examples! :love:

Reckon PS is usually 12-24 months in front of the real world. I am definitely over halos - can appreciate them but its just not my bag baby.

Real world - here in Oz? I must work with some boring as hell people coz everywhere I look is plain white gold solitaires. No gemstones, no halos, nothing exciting at all. The concept of "upgrading" is completely foreign and most people look completely aghast when I mention I'm wearing (technically) my 4th engagement ring!

Sadly I agree with the poster who mentioned Princess cut being the next Marquise.... :(sad I've got one in yellow gold and it doesn't look as crisp/modern as I felt when I first got it a few years ago.

Guess moral of the story is we are all super spoilt to have such eye-candy to enjoy here. :D

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm seeing ,t,he cushion starting to be the big trend here in Chicago.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
HotPozzum|1376010610|3499372 said:
This is a great thread!

I think there is kind of a 2-speed trend economy here; Firstly PS trends - AVC/OEC & platinum/rose gold galore then Real World trends... :lol:
I've been here since ummm... 2008 and definitely noticed the halo - asscher - AVC trends. Even gemstone trends here are massive! Hard not to get sucked into the Paraibia - spess - spinel trends when you see such lovely examples! :love:

Reckon PS is usually 12-24 months in front of the real world. I am definitely over halos - can appreciate them but its just not my bag baby.

Real world - here in Oz? I must work with some boring as hell people coz everywhere I look is plain white gold solitaires. No gemstones, no halos, nothing exciting at all. The concept of "upgrading" is completely foreign and most people look completely aghast when I mention I'm wearing (technically) my 4th engagement ring!

Sadly I agree with the poster who mentioned Princess cut being the next Marquise.... :(sad I've got one in yellow gold and it doesn't look as crisp/modern as I felt when I first got it a few years ago.

Guess moral of the story is we are all super spoilt to have such eye-candy to enjoy here. :D

A couple of people have mentioned not seeing halos in Oz. I see them EVERYWHERE in Perth. Shiel's, Zamel's, Angus and Coote, Michael Hill, Stefan, Rosendorff. All of their windows are full of poorly crafted halos. DH loves to get a rise out of me by pointing at one and stating that it looks JUST LIKE my engagement ring. :knockout: :lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Halos (high end) are just coming into fashion here in Australia but we are way behind you guys. Everything here was still yellow gold up until two/three/four years ago and now it has changed to white and platinum. I think in the US halos went out of high celb. fashion about 18 months to two years ago actually replaced by vintage styles and Asschers and Emeralds were the new black. Cushions were "in" about 18 months ago as well and are also currently still selling strong. Vintage settings, vintage stones and Cushions, Asschers and Emeralds are now becoming mainstream. Popular fashion follows celbs and magazines more than we like to admit....

The boring Tiffany style solitaire is still by and large one of the biggest sellers everywhere around the world. Three stones and solitaires never go out of style they just compete with what brides see in magazines, on the hands of friends and on celbs. My husbands family own a shop here so I am speaking from retail observation as well as general observations.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1376013464|3499413 said:
This is a great thread!

A couple of people have mentioned not seeing halos in Oz. I see them EVERYWHERE in Perth. Shiel's, Zamel's, Angus and Coote, Michael Hill, Stefan, Rosendorff. All of their windows are full of poorly crafted halos. DH loves to get a rise out of me by pointing at one and stating that it looks JUST LIKE my engagement ring. :knockout: :lol:

I do agree tacky badly made halos are now everywhere in chain stores. I sold a few stones last year beginning of this year (diamonds) and everyone wanted a Tiffany copy. Tiffany is apparently the pinnacle of what the better than average gal here aims for. I walk in there and its so ummm overpriced and boring.... Even my late 20 something hairdresser was telling me a Tiffany solitaire is her "dream" ring. :roll: If only they knew about Pricescope!!!! :lol:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1376013861|3499420 said:
justginger|1376013464|3499413 said:
This is a great thread!

I do agree tacky badly made halos are now everywhere in chain stores. I sold a few stones last year beginning of this year (diamonds) and everyone wanted a Tiffany copy. Tiffany is apparently the pinnacle of what the average gal aims for. I walk in there and its so ummm overpriced and boring.... Even my late 20 something hairdresser was telling me a Tiffany solitaire is her "dream" ring. :roll: If only they knew about Pricescope!!!! :lol:

I agree. There are halos and there are BAD halos...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
True. There are plenty of stunning genuine vintage pieces with halos. Proving they are indeed timeless and are not new.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results