shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Diamond Necklace & Pin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. What a treasure. My gosh - how lucky you are to have something like that from your family - and to wear for your wedding. It looks wonderful on you.

If they do decide to sell it make sure it goes through the proper channels - it deserves a specialty auction at a prestigious auction house Christies/Sotherby's, where people who might really appreciate it will see it.

Scintillating...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay i could see selling the necklace but the PIN has your grandmother''s engraved wedding date on it!!! that should TOTALLY be kept in the family for special occasions just like your wedding. i would LOVE to have heirloom jewelry passed down from generation to generation!! i would say if your family does not NEED the money they should try to keep them, at least the pin which to me has the most sentimental value!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!!!
9.gif
I hope my mom will bring it up for me to try on with my wedding dress sometime before I get my dress...
31.gif

Date: 4/6/2006 12:23:57 AM
Author: Scintillating
If they do decide to sell it make sure it goes through the proper channels - it deserves a specialty auction at a prestigious auction house Christies/Sotherby''s, where people who might really appreciate it will see it.

Yeah, they''ve already had it appraised and sold several things over the years through Christie''s so it definitely won''t get sold for $50 to a pawn shop or anything!
2.gif
No one needs the money urgently so if it takes a while to get a good price, they''ll wait. And as I''ve said...there is lots of other heirloom jewelry to go around so don''t be too upset about it!!
5.gif

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2006 2:45:41 AM
Author: Mara
okay i could see selling the necklace but the PIN has your grandmother''s engraved wedding date on it!!! that should TOTALLY be kept in the family for special occasions just like your wedding. i would LOVE to have heirloom jewelry passed down from generation to generation!! i would say if your family does not NEED the money they should try to keep them, at least the pin which to me has the most sentimental value!

I totally agree with Mara, personally I hate to see any of it sold. : ( Anychance you could make a deal with your aunts about the pin?

Scintillating...

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2006 1:44:50 PM
Author: Scintillating

I totally agree with Mara, personally I hate to see any of it sold. : ( Anychance you could make a deal with your aunts about the pin?
They appraised for many thousands of dollars each and I''m planning my wedding which we''re paying a lot of ourselves, and I still have a lot of student debt and it is really just not at all feasible to do that. My parents are also in the process of building a new house and moving so I don''t think it''s going to happen. Which is OKAY, we really do have a lot of other heirloom pieces!!! If they change their minds and decide not to sell, I''ll be happy, but asking them to wait until after the wedding is good enough for me!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
WOW!

amazing

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
1.gif
I'm just jealous! I don't have grandparents, or anything passed down.
They are gorgeous, and you're going to look beautiful on your wedding day.
1.gif

Scintillating...

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Wow, how did I miss this?

That necklace is so beautiful, especially on your beautiful neck.

Now I want to see pictures of your other heirlooms.

In fact, can I please please please come to your wedding and peek around at that house? I promise to be very good and not spill anything or say anything indiscreet to your aunts (such as, for example, please let Albicocca keep that gorgeous set).

I wish you could save it for your own daughter, if you have one. Or your niece.

Can you tell us more about your great great (did I get the right number of greats?) grandparents? How did they come to have such lavish jewelry?

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Hehehe, I''ll see what I can do about that glitterata!
3.gif

I''ve posted two of my antique rings on PS before (the only really nice items I personally own at the moment, but my mom also has a ton!) First, I have an Pearl Ring that belonged to my great great aunt (or someone like that) which is engraved with what we believe to be her engagement date (random not-recorded-anywhere-else date about a year before their wedding) in 1844, in its original box! I don''t wear either of these very often, but I loooove having them for special occasions!
9.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Oh, those are wonderful!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
The word "majestic" comes to mind.... sigh

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results