shape
carat
color
clarity

An upgrade journey … from a research perspective

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed! Following! Also I’m embarrassed to say idk what your current ering is.
I’m so sorry I missed it when you asked this question earlier! I hope you saw I posted photos of it above. It’s a lovely radiant with trap sides, and will always have much meaning for me, though my style has changed.

Hee hee....I know how this story ends! (But I won't give away the ending!)

And for the record, I think you selected the perfect one for you! Its so interesting to hear about all of our different journeys to our holy grail diamond rings. I'm very excited for you!
Thank you, RWS! And thank you again for all the hand holding through the decision making process. It was truly invaluable!

The 7 EC and the 4 ct Antique Cushion look lovely on you!

Whenever you have time, can you pretty please tell me more about the massive antique cushion?
Thank you! I did like the cushion outline, but was not crazy about these particular stones. As I mentioned earlier, the massive antique cushion was really dead. I suppose it could have been really dirty, but it’s hard to imagine that would cause what I observed. A total lack of light play, even in the specialty lighting of the jewelry store. I found where the SA wrote down info for me, and it is: 8.60 carats, N, VS1 (GIA). They had it priced at $129k.

Anyone else feel like this thread should be in SMTB? All the effort to write out this whole process (which is amazing by the way) and then a final reveal, seems so fitting for it to be there.

Anyways, this is by far one of the best threads I’ve read in a long time. Looking forward to the next post!
Yada, I did end up asking them to move it, and it looks like they did! Thank you for the suggestion. There aren’t a lot of other threads like this and I was originally perplexed as to where to put it. And thank you for the compliment!

Wow, what a fascinating journey, especially with the process of custom cutting. Thanks so much for sharing your experience, I had no idea it was this fast paced!
Thank you! I wanted to share as much as possible about the custom cutting experience because right now if you’re looking for a stone over 3 carats, you may end up needing to go this way. It’s not difficult (at least at WF), but everyone enjoys knowing what to expect! I didn’t initially realize it was this fast paced, either. It seems that rough markets and the polished market are very different things, and honestly, all of it is fascinating!

Congrats to you! This is going to be amazing! We are from the same area and I think I recognize the two stores you were in before the Tiffany, don't recognize the last one.
Oh, very cool! Yes, if you are from this area I would expect you would recognize those two! The last one is a smaller store, but with an excellent stock. It’s a great place to be able to view loose stones. If you are curious which one it was, you’re welcome to contact me on the other forum (the one about handbags). I’m N_Tonks over there.

Thank you for posting your journey @Tonks, I read the entire thing curled up with a cuppa and some chocolate, and I honestly couldn't be happier :bigsmile: I am so thrilled for you and cannot wait to see the finished piece!

Oh, this warmed my heart. Truly. I was honestly not sure if anyone would want to read this at all, and I am just thrilled that it brought you joy.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Tonks -

This is hugely exciting! And to pass the time, here's something you might find useful - my 4.01ct I VS1 ACA, size 7. Hoping the next few weeks pass quickly for you!

144838 - e-ring and wedder.jpeg

145159 - e-ring and wedder.jpeg

20180523_113057_resized.jpg

20180523_113421_resized.jpg

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I skimmed the pics to get to the end, and I am thrilled that you are getting a 4 ct ACA! I did think the larger rounds looked great on you, and it was smart to just go for the 4 ct now rather than have to upgrade again soon! Can't wait to see it!
Thank you, and thank you for your valuable advice along the way!!! I can’t wait to show it to you when it’s here.

This is so exciting, I can’t wait to see the finished ring.

Aren’t we lucky that we’re not colour sensitive? I find I pretty white, so anything substantially higher is totally wasted on me.
I guess lack of color sensitivity is a mixed bag. It would make me a very poor artist, and I struggle to pick things like paint colors for the house (omg, the last time we repainted our exterior I sweated bullets over changing the color of white trim, and honestly, I just should have listened to one of my friends). But for diamond purposes, it certainly makes things easier, especially when one’s ring size is not tiny, and I am profoundly grateful for it.

This is so amazingly detailed! I am impressed with the effort you’ve put in and delighted for you that you found what you wanted! A custom 4ct ACA will be incredible!!

Though, if you do ever decide to add another honker to your collection, I thought the ECs looked fantastic on your hand. I particularly liked how the ‘leggy’ one and the 7.2ct ones looked :lol-2:
Thank you! I am super excited to see this stone, and have confidence it will be wonderful.

I agree with you on the ECs—they were wonderful. While I didn’t care for the proportions of the leggy one, I loved the 7.2. My thought is that if I can ever get my mind clean on lab stones, that would be a great avenue to investigate adding a large step cut! (Come on brain, cooperate!!!)

This is going to be one fantastic stone and ring! It must be so reassuring and absolutely mind clean for you considering all the research and aforethought you put into this endeavor.
Thank you!

So, the goal of all this was to go into a large purchase with mind cleanliness. And idk if anyone else has anxiety, but this is how I deal with mine. Research, research, research. If I have thoroughly investigated options, my mind can be calm about what is before me. Drives me nuts sometimes, but it can also be a really helpful life skill. At any rate, I do feel peace and a sense of mind clean about this that I wouldn’t have if we’d just jumped straight into the final decision.

SOOO excited for you, @Tonks! This is wicked anticipation!!! I can truly, hardly wait to see this beauty. I only wish that videos could accurately represent the incredible light show that this diamond will put on. :kiss2:
Thank you! I’m excited, too! I will take video when it gets here. Though you are correct—video never seems to quite capture it all.

Love your choice! Great story. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you! And thanks for reading.

Super enjoyable thread, thank you so much for posting.

Can’t wait to see the final ring - so exciting.

I also utterly loved that 4ct G antique cushion - one day I shall have one!
Thanks so much—again, I’m still kind of shocked people read this and enjoyed it. It really means a lot. I can’t wait to share the final product!

The 4 carat cushion was lovely. It makes me think a trip to OWD would be very dangerous, indeed!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
@Tonks -

This is hugely exciting! And to pass the time, here's something you might find useful - my 4.01ct I VS1 ACA, size 7. Hoping the next few weeks pass quickly for you!

144838 - e-ring and wedder.jpeg

20180523_113057_resized.jpg

20180523_113421_resized.jpg

OHMYGOODNESS that is gorgeous, @mrs-b !!!! I only ever remember seeing it in the halo, not on its own!

Did you design that solitaire? It’s beautiful.

Thank you again for all your advice through this process!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have just dribbled my way through this entire thread………. :kiss2:

I am SO excited for you & cannot wait to see this beauty!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What an amazing journey! So excited for you and your huge ACA! Can’t wait to see the diamond and how you set it!

Btw, the ECs also look very nice on your hand…RH ring? :bigsmile:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting! I can't wait to see it on your hand. I wouldn't be able to stand the wait!

Shannon72781

Shiny_Rock
I loved reading this! I approach decision like this very systematically so I really appreciated the analysis, pros/cons and conclusions of all your research.

I also evaluated U113 vs customized WF 6 prong setting (a la Tiffany) and ended up with the U113 (my thoughts and summary below)
My WF Upgrade is Here!

And finally, I really liked the finger coverage analysis. I did it for mine at ended up 58%, which seemed to be a "sweet spot" for alot of other ladies - how interesting to find that the 58-65% was fairly common!

Cannot wait to see your finished product. Congratulations.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OHMYGOODNESS that is gorgeous, @mrs-b !!!! I only ever remember seeing it in the halo, not on its own!

Did you design that solitaire? It’s beautiful.

Thanks @Tonks! I did indeed design it. If you look at the bottom 2 photos, you'll see that the ring is marginally different to the top 2. The bottom 2 are of the ring as it first came to me, but I sent it back and had the prongs shaved down considerably so they protruded far less from the circumference of the diamond. I think it ended up looking far better.

However, I was always set on having it in a halo, so the plain soli was only temporary and very fleeting. As you know, the halo idea was a complete failure and turned me off the diamond completely and I ended up upgrading to a 3.05ct F VS2.

However, I think if I'd lived with the 4.01 I VS1 in the setting pictured above for a bit, there's every chance I would have kept it. A yellow gold halo did an I colored stone no favors, and even the side tint you can see above was, in large part, a reflection of the massive greenery surrounding my verandah where the photos were taken. I also LOVED the off-set 8 prong style of setting, and always felt it made the whole ring appear softer and less 'sharp'.

The 4.07ct H VS1 ACA I now have has no obvious tint from any angle and, altho I regularly consider upgrading to something G colored and slightly larger, the cost differential makes me believe that, at the end of the day, the ring I have now is the ring that will see me out. And I'm fine with that, :))

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @Tonks! I did indeed design it. If you look at the bottom 2 photos, you'll see that the ring is marginally different to the top 2. The bottom 2 are of the ring as it first came to me, but I sent it back and had the prongs shaved down considerably so they protruded far less from the circumference of the diamond. I think it ended up looking far better.

However, I was always set on having it in a halo, so the plain soli was only temporary and very fleeting. As you know, the halo idea was a complete failure and turned me off the diamond completely and I ended up upgrading to a 3.05ct F VS2.

However, I think if I'd lived with the 4.01 I VS1 in the setting pictured above for a bit, there's every chance I would have kept it. A yellow gold halo did an I colored stone no favors, and even the side tint you can see above was, in large part, a reflection of the massive greenery surrounding my verandah where the photos were taken. I also LOVED the off-set 8 prong style of setting, and always felt it made the whole ring appear softer and less 'sharp'.

The 4.07ct H VS1 ACA I now have has no obvious tint from any angle and, altho I regularly consider upgrading to something G colored and slightly larger, the cost differential makes me believe that, at the end of the day, the ring I have now is the ring that will see me out. And I'm fine with that, :))

I can definitely see a difference in those sets of photos. That is one of the subtle aspects of solitaire design that really stands out to me—I am not a fan of the prongs sticking way out from the circumference of the diamond. I love the way they modified it for you.

It’s an interesting thing to think what might have happened had you kept that one in a solitaire! But that is neither here nor there as you have a stunning stone now.

I know this isn’t your direction, but let me tell you again, you design beautifully.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I loved reading this! I approach decision like this very systematically so I really appreciated the analysis, pros/cons and conclusions of all your research.

I also evaluated U113 vs customized WF 6 prong setting (a la Tiffany) and ended up with the U113 (my thoughts and summary below)
My WF Upgrade is Here!

And finally, I really liked the finger coverage analysis. I did it for mine at ended up 58%, which seemed to be a "sweet spot" for alot of other ladies - how interesting to find that the 58-65% was fairly common!

Cannot wait to see your finished product. Congratulations.

Thank you—I’m so glad you enjoyed it, and glad to meet another similar decision maker! I can’t wait to read your thoughts on the U113. Will head that way in just a second.

And I’m so glad the finger coverage analysis was helpful. It was something that was super helpful to me, because all these numbers and different finger sizes just wasn’t doing my brain any favors. I do know that it takes a larger stone to make an impact on my finger than you’d think, and that helped me understand why.

kah42

Shiny_Rock
This was such a delightful and helpful thread, thank you so much for sharing! I, too, over-analyze in an attempt to reduce (contribute to?) my anxiety.

I can't wait to see your new, sure to be gorgeous, diamond! If you do get over the mind-clean issues, I agree that you should get a honker lab EC for your RH! My goodness did that look amazing on your hand!

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so sorry I missed it when you asked this question earlier! I hope you saw I posted photos of it above. It’s a lovely radiant with trap sides, and will always have much meaning for me, though my style has changed.

Thank you, RWS! And thank you again for all the hand holding through the decision making process. It was truly invaluable!

Thank you! I did like the cushion outline, but was not crazy about these particular stones. As I mentioned earlier, the massive antique cushion was really dead. I suppose it could have been really dirty, but it’s hard to imagine that would cause what I observed. A total lack of light play, even in the specialty lighting of the jewelry store. I found where the SA wrote down info for me, and it is: 8.60 carats, N, VS1 (GIA). They had it priced at $129k.

Yada, I did end up asking them to move it, and it looks like they did! Thank you for the suggestion. There aren’t a lot of other threads like this and I was originally perplexed as to where to put it. And thank you for the compliment!

Thank you! I wanted to share as much as possible about the custom cutting experience because right now if you’re looking for a stone over 3 carats, you may end up needing to go this way. It’s not difficult (at least at WF), but everyone enjoys knowing what to expect! I didn’t initially realize it was this fast paced, either. It seems that rough markets and the polished market are very different things, and honestly, all of it is fascinating!

Oh, very cool! Yes, if you are from this area I would expect you would recognize those two! The last one is a smaller store, but with an excellent stock. It’s a great place to be able to view loose stones. If you are curious which one it was, you’re welcome to contact me on the other forum (the one about handbags). I’m N_Tonks over there.

Oh, this warmed my heart. Truly. I was honestly not sure if anyone would want to read this at all, and I am just thrilled that it brought you joy.

Thank you! I know there are a couple of other stores in the same area as the first two, I have been in them both but it's been a number of years. I honestly think though that you made the best choice going with Whiteflash over anything we have around here. Can't wait to see this all done!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Tonks -

I'm right with you re an 8 prong ring. I think a very large stone with only 6 prongs can look a bit...empty? Eight just looks more decorative to my eye.

I love a cathedral design, tho I tend to do swoopy sides rather than a full cathedral. I think it connects the shank and the head in a way that gives an organic feel.

So many things to think about.... (...and all good!).

:mrgreen:

hardwear

Rough_Rock
Really enjoyed following this thread and learned quite a bit, thank you!
I look forward to seeing your ring!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to see pictures of your new ring. It will be stunning!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
@Tonks I just wanted to say a big thank you for this thread.

You have put an insane amount of work into writing this and posting the photos and just so thoughtfully putting it all together.

It is such a helpful thread. I can't wait to see where it goes next!

Congratulations

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
@Tonks I just wanted to say a big thank you for this thread.

You have put an insane amount of work into writing this and posting the photos and just so thoughtfully putting it all together.

It is such a helpful thread. I can't wait to see where it goes next!

Congratulations

Thank you, @angeline , truly. It was a lot of work, but it felt right to share it with this community. PS is an amazing place to be able to get an education about diamonds. We are so lucky to learn from some of the most experienced people in the trade and experienced and wise prosumers. I’ve been trying to learn here for years and this is the first time I felt like I really had something to give back that could help other people. So I was glad to do it!

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
Best thread on PS @Tonks ! Can't wait to see your diamond!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Tonks your journey epitomizes the difference between purchasing a natural diamond over a lab grown—IMO. I commented in the other thread that finding our perfect diamond is really about a quest, a sense of accomplishment when we finally do find it with a journey that is both thrilling and reflective. Enjoy it, as we all are!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love a deep dive thread like this! Can’t wait to read and more importantly, see!!, the outcome!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Tonks, I have truly enjoyed reading about your journey and I admire all of the reflective thought and analysis that you have invested in it. I have taken a similar approach to understanding my jewelry preferences over the years, trying to learn all I can (as you said, research, research, research!) and glean as many insights as I can from others on PS and from my own experiences. And I have to say that all of that contemplation and reflection really does pay off, both with peace of mind and with the outcome itself. I am so impressed by your methodological approach and I love where you landed! :love: Count me in with everyone else who cannot wait to see your new stone!!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I love the research and your approach to making this decision. And I'm really impressed you were able to visit so many jewelers to try on rings. Can't wait to see it!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I thoroughly enjoyed reading every word of your story. That ring deserves every bit of research you did. I know it will be beautiful. Can't wait to see it.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
@mrs-b , you and @LLJsmom have caused me to give serious thought to an 8 prong.

I really like this one from @hypermom

I would be tempted to add cathedral shoulders because I like a cathedral.

BCE995BF-8A89-43DF-94CD-2BDB11067DD9.jpeg

I really like this design. There's just something about the crown..... And I'm not usually a fan of more than 6 prongs, but for some reason it works on this one, and I would think on a 4ct. it would look smashing!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Firstly huge congratulations! So exciting! I really appreciate the thoughtfulness and research, it’s been a fascinating read. I also love to research, I find it so helpful in clarifying what you actually want (it’s so easy to get blown off course). I love that you tried the rings on with a casual outfit to check it would truly be an everyday ring. I did love that cushion on you but the rounds are just as lovely. Also there is a reason solitaires are classic, you can’t go wrong and it lets the diamond speak for itself.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
@Tonks this was a gripping story! Thank you for sharing your insights and research with us, it's so great to see how you logically and systematically approached your upgrade. As a gal who loves numbers, the finger coverage post was delightful :geek2:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
@Tonks this was a gripping story! Thank you for sharing your insights and research with us, it's so great to see how you logically and systematically approached your upgrade. As a gal who loves numbers, the finger coverage post was delightful :geek2:

Thanks so much! I’m so glad you enjoyed the finger coverage part. It really helped me make sense of what I was seeing!

ellekay

Rough_Rock
@Tonks I'm so glad you linked me to this post! It was so, so helpful (and fun!) to see all of the stones and be able to compare relative size and color. The relative finger coverage really helped show with numbers how a diamond can look so different in size on different fingers. You have lovely hands, and I'm glad you are getting something substantial that gets you the coverage you like. I am excited for you to get your ring so we can see the fruits of your labor! Have you decided for sure on a setting yet?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results