shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I crazy? 2nd hand Tiffany ring

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by lovedogs, Jun 19, 2019.

Is this a dumb purchase?

1. Yes. It's way too tiny on you!

21 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. No, buy it!

38 vote(s)
    52.8%
  3. Other reason to not buy it

13 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. quaddio
    Brilliant_Rock

by quaddio » Jun 20, 2019
    Looks beautiful on you

lovedogs likes this.
  2. BMI
    Rough_Rock

yssie, arkieb1 and lovedogs like this.
  3. Maisie
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Maisie » Jun 20, 2019
    I think you should buy it. I love how it looks on you and as others have said, you can always sell it later on.

When I was looking for my engagement ring I fell quite hard for the Tiffany Etoile solitaire. I almost bought one but decided I would prefer a bigger diamond. I do regret my decision now. I will likely buy one pre-owned at some point. These things sometimes find a way into our hearts. I say get it!

4. Redsparrow
    Rough_Rock

by Redsparrow » Jun 20, 2019
    Hmm i would say BUY! Of course because it’s an iconic piece, great specs, and a good/special find. Because of the simplicity- it’s great by itself, stacking piece, even worn as a necklace so you can always change it up for diff styles.

Like many others said, you can always resell it if you don’t like it or change your mind later on :)

lovedogs and cflutist like this.

5. Wanaka
    Rough_Rock

by Wanaka » Jun 20, 2019
    I’m voting for buying it. It’s an iconic Tiffany set, at a great price, and I LOVE dainty so there’s my personal bias disclosure. I think you would enjoy having a simple set to wear on the days when blingtastic isn’t on the agenda ☺️

lovedogs likes this.
  6. acaw2015
    Brilliant_Rock

by acaw2015 » Jun 20, 2019
    When in doubt, dont. There will be other rings if you feel you made the wrong decision in *not* buying it.
    If you do buy it, please post lots of pics. :bigsmile:

SandyinAnaheim, lovedogs and SimoneDi like this.
  7. mellowyellowgirl
    Ideal_Rock

by mellowyellowgirl » Jun 20, 2019
    Hehe I'm such a twit. I voted don't buy and go set a coloured stone instead but this wee set has totally inspired me to go set my tiny pad :mrgreen2::lol-2::P2

Seriously though if you've got the funds and it gives you options why not. Once a blue moon I might dig out a cryptic ring I rarely wear but on the day it does match with my outfit and it's worth it on that day.

SandyinAnaheim and lovedogs like this.
  8. LisaRN
    Ideal_Rock

by LisaRN » Jun 20, 2019
    It's very pretty but with so many Tiffany inspired rings being sold I don't anyone will look at the set and automatically think "Tiffany". So if it was me, I would buy it because I love the look, not because of the brand name. It does look beautiful on your hand though.

the_mother_thing and lovedogs like this.
  9. WillyDiamond
    Brilliant_Rock

by WillyDiamond » Jun 20, 2019
    I would pass. I think it looks puny on your finger.

Ss52 and SandyinAnaheim like this.
  10. motownmama
    Ideal_Rock

by motownmama » Jun 20, 2019
    I'd buy it - so iconic and fun! Great to change things up. I hope you go for it!

lovedogs likes this.

11. elizat
    Brilliant_Rock

by elizat » Jun 20, 2019
    I think it's a little on the small side. I have the same issue of something being a good deal or what I perceive as a bargain, but don't wear after. Also, if you are questioning it, you may not be sold on it.

I would pass personally.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Ss52, SandyinAnaheim and lovedogs like this.
  12. natasha-cupcake
    Brilliant_Rock

by natasha-cupcake » Jun 20, 2019
    I don't see "puny". I see "delicate" "petite" and "understated elegance". I like larger diamonds, too, but petite diamonds have a charm and esthetic that's really appealing to me. If you can afford it, I think you should buy it. Even if you have other stones to set, you will always have the chance to set them later. If you pass on this and decide later on down the road that you want a Tiffany wedding set for $1200--well, good luck with that!

13. SimoneDi
    Ideal_Rock

by SimoneDi » Jun 20, 2019
    I actually don’t think that the price is much of a bargain. There are multiple T&Co solitaires in the .2ct range on eBay for at or under $1k and many take offers. The knife edge comes up for sale around $300 often. So to me this is more about being content with this set and really wanting it vs thinking that it’s a great deal, because it’s not.

I will say that I love the T&Co brand, I just bought a new band from them and sold 2 that I had. While the brand is desirable on the secondary market, contrary to what many think, it is not that easy to sell and jewelry pieces are not very liquid.

Jsand, quaddio, nala and 1 other person like this.
  14. MissStepcut
    Brilliant_Rock

by MissStepcut » Jun 20, 2019
    It reads almost like a stacked band to me, so I would pass.

Ss52, anangel and lovedogs like this.
  15. Demon
    Shiny_Rock

by Demon » Jun 20, 2019
    As a lover of both solitaire(s) and dainty, I love it. The fact that it's TIffany wouldn't matter to me, (though I know many love it), I just love the simplicity.

lovedogs likes this.

16. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

by lovedogs » Jun 20, 2019
    I appreciate you trying to"soften" the "puny" comment, but I asked for honesty, so have to be ready to accept it :) but you are very sweet :)

Ss52, Mamabean and SandyinAnaheim like this.
  17. cmd2014
    Ideal_Rock

by cmd2014 » Jun 20, 2019
    I actually think it looks delicate and feminine, and not too small on your finger at all. But only you can decide whether or not you love it enough to justify buying it (i.e., how sad you'd feel if one day someone else bought it vs how much you'd actually love it and wear it if it were yours), or if you'd be better off putting those funds towards something else.

ETA: I'm also laughing at other people's comments about their .7 or .8 stones being "little." That would be considered large where I live (stones typically run around .5 carats or below among women of my age group). It's all so relative, eh?

Laila619 and lovedogs like this.
  18. eapj
    Shiny_Rock

by eapj » Jun 20, 2019
    @lovedogs - your post has made me search for smaller Tiffany solitaires! Thanks a lot. :P2

All while I wait for a .25 ct yellow gold OEC solitaire to arrive. I love love love delicate and elegant and I love that this forum has love for large and small sparklies.

19. Big Fat Facets
    Shiny_Rock

by Big Fat Facets » Jun 20, 2019
    :P2 If you absolutely love it then I don't see why you shouldn't buy it. However, if its the brand that has got you "gaga over it" then i definitely think you can do better. But if its the heft and feel of the rings that you are really into then go for it. If you change your mind a branded pieces is relatively easy to let go of even if the stone is quite small. I it were me i'd leave it at the store... hope that helps...

20. quaddio
    Brilliant_Rock

by quaddio » Jun 20, 2019
    I'm changing my mind after SimoneDi's comment made me look up comparables - there are a ton of second hand Tiffany sets in all sizes.

lovedogs likes this.
  21. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

by lovedogs » Jun 20, 2019
    I've been looking around since she said that but not having a ton of luck in the 2k and under range. The ones I'm seeing either don't come with any paperwork (meaning I have no idea about authenticity or cut quality of the stone), or are an ering alone w.o a band.

eapj and Pimberly like this.
  22. cflutist
    Ideal_Rock

by cflutist » Jun 20, 2019
    If you want it, like it, and can afford it, please BUY it.
    The lesson learned from this weeks ED fiasco is that it is not always about finding the lowest price.
    This one is a set with the paperwork, plus you have examined it in person.

23. SimoneDi
    Ideal_Rock

by SimoneDi » Jun 20, 2019
    I just opened eBay and this is what first came up-
    E-ring with paperwork & receipt. They take offers: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/192776517653
    Band: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/323834553077

ETA: I should add that T&Co will resize their rings. I personally wouldn’t want any other jeweler reworking T&Co rings as that will impact the authenticity of the pieces.

lovedogs likes this.
  24. Alex T
    Ideal_Rock

by Alex T » Jun 20, 2019
    There is *something* about a classic Tiffany knife edge set, plain with no eternity, that makes my heart flutter. If I could go back & do my rings over, I would go for these. So I voted buy them!

eapj and lovedogs like this.
  25. smitcompton
    Ideal_Rock

by smitcompton » Jun 20, 2019
    Hi Lovedogs,

While I really like the fact the ring is a Tiffany,( I do like iconic brands) I think the stone is too small to have any impact while you are wearing it. It may not be as easy to re-sell as people here have made out. After all, this ring has been sitting in the shop a while. I think its the size of the stone that has depressed demand.

You have said your dream ring is a sapphire. While I do not know what color you want, there is a violet purple sapphire on Loupe troupe from Gene, two and something carats, unheated, 7.67 round diameter, which I would buy if I was in the market. You could give it a halo and have a gorgeous ring. I would also offer less than what she paid.

Of course, if you love, love it, buy it.

Annette

Ss52 likes this.
  26. pearaffair
    Ideal_Rock

by pearaffair » Jun 20, 2019
    I love it. I love a modest solitaire and I have soft spot for Tiffany with preloved prices!

eapj and lovedogs like this.
  27. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

by lovedogs » Jun 21, 2019
    Welp. Went to visit it again today :) realized that once they took the price tag thing off it actually fits me as a set. 20190621_121844.jpg 20190621_121850.jpg 20190621_121857.jpg 20190621_122041.jpg 20190621_122053.jpg

So if I do buy it, I won't size it right away. I'll wear it and see if it starts to bug me. Other thing we realized once the dumb tag was off that it's only ~.25 difference, not .5 which also helps.

Of course in theory a .4 or .5 would get me extra size, which is great. But then it would be more $$ than I'm willing to spend on an alternative wedding set.

Eating lunch and continuing to go through the pros and cons list :)

eapj, SandyinAnaheim, Wanaka and 2 others like this.
  28. motownmama
    Ideal_Rock

by motownmama » Jun 21, 2019
    I think it looks great on you. I’ve often thought about buying a small set like yours, just for fun.

lovedogs likes this.
  29. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

by Mamabean » Jun 21, 2019
    I say buy it! I do that with earrings. I have a nice larger pair of diamond studs..but also have a small pair that I change off with. Sometimes I feel like having something sweet on my old ears..This year I bought a .40 M color diamond that I had made into a bezel setting. I do wear it on my right hand in a stack.. I really enjoy it. I even gave it a name...Emma..because it’s an M color..:P2 but also because it’s so sweet. If you decide later it’s too small for your left hand..then stack it on your right hand...

jbake, lovedogs and SandyinAnaheim like this.
  30. dreamer_dachsie
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by dreamer_dachsie » Jun 21, 2019
    Back in the day I bought a lot of things on the secondary market. I had a lot of situations like you are in where I hemmed and hawed. I had a rule for myself: I only bought when I was 100% certain. When something was the exact right combination of style and price, I never felt any hesitation! I pounced. So I guess I am saying: When in doubt, don't.

Ss52 and lovedogs like this.