• No, buy it!

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Other reason to not buy it

Votes: 13 17.1%

• Total voters

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so I am very surprised to be posting this. I am NOT a solitaire person (my typical preference is to halo *all the things*), nor do I usually like dainty stones (my size 6.5/7 fingers look silly with small stones I think).

That said, my favorite local jewelry store has had this Tiffany co wedding set for a while. I often go in there to window shop and look at this ring. I figured it would be a tiny size 4 or something so never tried it on or asked to see it.

Finally got the nerve to ask about it today, and to my surprise its only .25/.5 sizes too small (wedding band is too small, the actual ring itself fits just fine). It would be about $40 to size it.

It's only a .25 stone, which would normally look moronic on me. But there's something about this I really like.

Am I being dumb? Does it look really silly? It's platinum, and the total cost (with sizing) would be about $1300.

20190619_144323.jpg 20190619_144315.jpg 20190619_144319.jpg 20190619_144527.jpg 20190619_144246.jpg

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it’s down to personal preference, but I quite like dainty pieces. As a solitaire, I think it would be nice on days when you’re feeling like you want something small and dainty. Only you’ll know if that’s something you’ll ever feel up for though! There actually are days *gasp* when I feel like wearing something tiny and pretty as opposed to huge and fabulously blingy. But that’s just me.

Here’s a thought- you don’t have to wear it on your ring finger... or alone. How about as part of a stack on another finger?

Of course, there’s the Tiffany name to go with it. Although I would never have purchased this new, at that price point, I would be pretty tempted. I’m not sure if you have kids, but it could also be a sweet gift down the track for a daughter if you have one

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still find something so appealing to that iconic look. If you ever tired of it, you know you could sell it so for that price, I'd be tempted to go with it! A really sweet look!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @MissGotRocks and @Crystal_Dreams !

I agree that it's just kind of iconic, even in a small size stone. And I would wear it as a wedding set, since I think the band gives it an *extra* something.

I called the store to verify the color/clarity/cut info. It's vvs2/I color (me being completely not sensitive to color thought it was like F/G haha). 61.9 depth, 55 table, which I think is why I like it since it just looked super lively and firey. And it comes with all the paperwork from Tiffany, etc, which is nice.

I asked if they'd be willing to do everything (sizing, tax, etc) for $1200. If they agree I'll probably just buy it :twisted2:

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
OMG !! I just did the same thing a few hours ago! I decided I just didn't want to wear my 2.5 ER for a while...it's SO in your face huge, and was causing envy and hurt feelings I think. Anyway, I found a little .70 diamond in the most sweet solitaire setting at my local jeweler.

loving mine. it's darling.

Yours looks absolutely beautiful on you.

So, Cheers to that LOVEDOGS!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not, I think that you should buy it if you like it (much better than paying full price that we did when we bought my Tiffany Fancy Yellow diamond while on vacation).
There IS something special to owning a Tiffany ring.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that it is a lovely set, but you already have a gorgeous, stunning wedding ring. It is so easy to fall in love with new jewelry, but I would think a bit longer if this is what you really want or would it better to spend the money elsewhere?

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that it is a lovely set, but you already have a gorgeous, stunning wedding ring. It is so easy to fall in love with new jewelry, but I would think a bit longer if his is what you really want or would it better to spend the money elsewhere?
Wise as always! Very good point and something to think about.

I'm for sure sleeping on it and not rushing to buy today.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s a beautiful, simple & iconic set. My only worry is: would I get enough wear out of it? Personally, I think I would miss the size of my other/main set. But that is totally a personal thing.

The other question - best answered by those who buy branded items - is if there is any devaluation in having someone other than Tiffany resize it, should you ever want/need to sell it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would pass. Yes it’s Tiffany and it’s cute, but If it were not Tiffany, would you still be considering it?
I don't know, good point. This look (not the brand itself) is the only solitaire I've ever felt personally drawn to. Something about the knife edge plus the swoop of the basket maybe? So yes I think so. But of course I can't be sure.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @MissGotRocks and @Crystal_Dreams !

I agree that it's just kind of iconic, even in a small size stone. And I would wear it as a wedding set, since I think the band gives it an *extra* something.

I called the store to verify the color/clarity/cut info. It's vvs2/I color (me being completely not sensitive to color thought it was like F/G haha). 61.9 depth, 55 table, which I think is why I like it since it just looked super lively and firey. And it comes with all the paperwork from Tiffany, etc, which is nice.

I asked if they'd be willing to do everything (sizing, tax, etc) for $1200. If they agree I'll probably just buy it :twisted2:

I must say that they nailed that design so many years ago. The diamond really looks like it floats on the ring rather than just be incorporated into or swallowed by the setting. A real Tiffany engagement ring and wedding band - bragging rights are all yours!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know, good point. This look (not the brand itself) is the only solitaire I've ever felt personally drawn to. Something about the knife edge plus the swoop of the basket maybe? So yes I think so. But of course I can't be sure.

You could wear it when you don't want to be blinged out. I wore my little .80 FY-VS2 Tiffany when we went on our Norway cruise because I read that they don't normally wear large diamonds in that country. The pear and CBI diamonds stayed home.
Do what your heart desires.

ponyrider

Rough_Rock
I am not sure this will come out right in writing, but for me, it would depend on what the 1300 $ means to you :) For some, it is a large chunk of money; for others it is a small purchase. Personally, I would love to have a tiffany solitaire and matching band in my collection, even if I only wore it a few times a year. Plus, I have found there are places that a dainty/delicate set is much more appropriate.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They agreed to $1200 total, since they've had it for a while now. And they are holding it for me until tomorrow or Friday morning so I have time to decide.

I certainly don't *need* another ering set haha. And should be setting many many loose cs stones. So I'll need to consider carefully.

I am so so so tempted! At least I know I have time to think about it.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What strikes me in your first post is that you keep going back to look at it.
You should follow your heart on this. Ask yourself how you would feel if you took a pass then changed your mind and it sold?

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not a fan of Tiffany or branded jewelry per se, but I agree that it would be nice to have as a travel set, or when your real set is "too much" for certain events. And like @Bonfire said, will you regret it if it sells and it's gone? I always think it's better to regret things you've done than things you haven't done. So if the Tiffany mystique appeals to you and it will make you happy, I say go for it. ;)2

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a fan of Tiffany or branded jewelry per se, but I agree that it would be nice to have as a travel set, or when your real set is "too much" for certain events. And like @Bonfire said, will you regret it if it sells and it's gone? I always think it's better to regret things you've done than things you haven't done. So if the Tiffany mystique appeals to you and it will make you happy, I say go for it. ;)2
Me neither, which is why I'm so surprised! But like I said, this particular look from Tiffany (and others who have made lovely versions) has always appealed to me.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Me neither, which is why I'm so surprised! But like I said, this particular look from Tiffany (and others who have made lovely versions) has always appealed to me.
Well then, you'll probably only get this chance once. Sleep on it and see how you feel in the morning. I think you're probably going to get it and would regret losing out on it. $1200 out the door isn't bad considering what it is.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it’s beautiful and looks great on you! But then again I’m a small stone gal so take my comment for what it’s worth!

Pimberly

Rough_Rock
I say go for it, but I am a Tiffany girl! To me there’s something so special about the real thing and it’s very sweet and lovely in this size. It’s a nice price to own such an iconic piece and I don’t think you’d regret it.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well then, you'll probably only get this chance once. ... $1200 out the door isn't bad considering what it is.

I agree; go ahead and get it. If later - you find that you don’t wear/want/need it, you can resell it to someone who may have dreamed of a Tiffany set but doesn’t have a “new Tiffany budget”, and that’s good karma back to you.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy it. You’ve been going back and looking at it, you’ve been thinking about it a lot.
$1200 is a great price and if it comes with all paperwork etc you’ll have no trouble selling it later (if you chose) for a similar price.
This is why I always buy preloved, I can almost pretend it’s “an investment” because if I do decide to resell I don’t take much, if any, $ loss on the item and I’ve got to enjoy it while I have had it!
Win win in my book!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it's clear that you are smitten and I agree with the poster who asked if this is a large sum of money to you or not. If so, then perhaps pass as this might be just a whim, but if not, then go for it as again, you are obviously taken by this set and may regret not buying it. The mother of a friend of mine once told her "I only regret the things I did not buy"! (and I so get what she meant)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG !! I just did the same thing a few hours ago! I decided I just didn't want to wear my 2.5 ER for a while...it's SO in your face huge, and was causing envy and hurt feelings I think. Anyway, I found a little .70 diamond in the most sweet solitaire setting at my local jeweler.

loving mine. it's darling.

Yours looks absolutely beautiful on you.

So, Cheers to that LOVEDOGS!
oh im so sad for your ring regarding the envy and hurt feelings
there's always going to be people who have better and do better than me but its better to just be happy for one's friends
Don't leave the big ring off too long

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it’s down to personal preference, but I quite like dainty pieces. As a solitaire, I think it would be nice on days when you’re feeling like you want something small and dainty. Only you’ll know if that’s something you’ll ever feel up for though! There actually are days *gasp* when I feel like wearing something tiny and pretty as opposed to huge and fabulously blingy. But that’s just me.

Here’s a thought- you don’t have to wear it on your ring finger... or alone. How about as part of a stack on another finger?

Of course, there’s the Tiffany name to go with it. Although I would never have purchased this new, at that price point, I would be pretty tempted. I’m not sure if you have kids, but it could also be a sweet gift down the track for a daughter if you have one

you said all the things i thought and more

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wise as always! Very good point and something to think about.

I'm for sure sleeping on it and not rushing to buy today.
Sleeping on it is definitely a good idea. I will put things in perspective for you..this set is 1/2 the cost of what you said is your dream sapphire. So I guess the question is what excites you more?

Just because you are drawn to this set, it doesn’t mean that you have to have it, unless you really want to and it’s something that you think will wear often. Otherwise, $1.2k for a travel/once in a while set is a bit much imo.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do love the idea of a iconic Tiffany set. I would want one too. But it’s a teeny bit small for me. I would go for a half carat size. However if this is the right size for you and you know you would wear it, why not.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is two ways to look at it, if you are are going to wear it a lot and get use out of it, as a more practical no fuss easy to wear set then I say buy it.

If you like it because it's a brand you get it and the reality is that you rarely wear it then it's that amount of money wasted that could have been spent or put towards something else you might love and wear.

Those are the pros and cons of it. Only you know which one is going to apply to you. I personally buy way too many gemstones, I have the same issue I see it have to have it and then don't use them, so I'm trying to sell a few to set some things. The point is IMHO sometimes it's better to sit back and say do I really need something and what else could I be using that money for.....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results