shape
carat
color
clarity

Alas, It ''twas my fault

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 10:16:14 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 2/28/2006 8:42:43 PM
Author: Mara
They are charging her to remake the ring.

Dazedland didn''t say a peep about this, if I''m not mistaken. I would never have known that they just weren''t comping the fix ... or perhaps giving a discount.

IMO, the MOST important thing is that Dazedland is satisfied with the conclusion, does not seem to be seeking any outside/independent confirmation, and is just happy to get her ring back on her finger as soon as possible.

Personally, I don''t think Mrssalvo was being rude. I think she was being exceptionally careful & thoughtful as usual. If the circumstance was with my ring, I might want to get an independent analysis - not because I doubt the integrity or honesty of whatever vendor I was using, but to ease my own mind & maybe get additional facts.

I''m glad that Dazedland has chosen to post about the experience as even-handedly and maturely as she has ... for the benefit of future pave-craving consumers. Forewarned is forearmed. And apparently ya gotta pay to bling.
2.gif

He he, I actually thought they were taking the easy read by charging her, and saying it had been smashed. They took some heat over the summer/fall in concerns with workmanship issues and John and I have had conversations about what was said both privately and publicly. I was satisfied clearly or I would have requested FH go with another vendor. But I think it would be much harder for them in the long run to say it was craftsmanship issue, because as others in this thread have said *sh** happens, but craftsmanship issues take much longer to recuperate from.

That said the people at Whiteflash know their stuff and really they have nothing to gain by lying. As long as DL is happy that is the bottom line.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 10:59:36 PM
Author: hlmr

When I read this thread it sounded as if you were in attack mode and very threatening against mrssalvo - not just stating your opinion. Sometimes it helps if a third party gives an opinion as to whether or not she would accept what she is being told about a situation or whether she would feel a need to question it further. mrssalvo has always been helpful to others and didn''t deserve the way she was spoken to IMO.

Heather
that''s the thing heather, there was literally a third opinion. not just one...but three. two other outside opinions. how many do you need?

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 11:14:04 PM
Author: belle

Date: 2/28/2006 10:59:36 PM
Author: hlmr

When I read this thread it sounded as if you were in attack mode and very threatening against mrssalvo - not just stating your opinion. Sometimes it helps if a third party gives an opinion as to whether or not she would accept what she is being told about a situation or whether she would feel a need to question it further. mrssalvo has always been helpful to others and didn''t deserve the way she was spoken to IMO.

Heather
that''s the thing heather, there was literally a third opinion. not just one...but three. two other outside opinions. how many do you need?
I just don''t see how this qualifies the reaction to mrssalvo.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 10:06:08 PM

Date: 2/28/2006 9:57:17 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Is it time to break for beer yet?

Oh well, I''m going ahead anyway...
I''ll take a vodka mojito with grey goose and extra sugar please.

Oh and order some nachos!
Oh dear!!!! I must put in an opinon here. Now Vodka is indeed my favorite libation next to a good Merlot . However, Cubian rum was meant to go in a Mohito along with fresh mint. Once you have had one in Cuba made by a hot Cubian you will realize there just is no other way.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Quite possibly Kimberly! However...the ones I have had in the US just can''t seem to compare with the Vodka ones!!!
5.gif
Must be the hot Cuban man.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 11:00:38 PM
Author: Mrs Darlin Joy
Date: 2/28/2006 10:48:37 PM

xchick..the interesting thing is that if this ring was titanium, and something happened to it on the finger, the finger would be the one sustaining the trauma because titanium doesn''t bend, esp the aircraft grade stuff. part of why i love that my ring is platinum!! hopefully it will bend and break INSTEAD of my finger going with it!

Yes, I worry about Hubby''s titanium ring
32.gif
... Darn metal allergies! In the medical prof. I don''t worry, it''s the other things that he does that the ring might get caught on like working on his sport bike, or ???
23.gif

Now I''m almost worried about my FI getting a titatium w-ring, but he''s not too terribly hard on his hands. So, hopefully we won''t have any problems like that.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Xchick, Greg has a titanium ring and he takes it off anytime he does work around the house or anything on the cars etc. I guess you never have 1000% security for safety, but at least it minimizes the risk and he loves it!

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 12:31:23 AM
Xchick, Greg has a titanium ring and he takes it off anytime he does work around the house or anything on the cars etc. I guess you never have 1000% security for safety, but at least it minimizes the risk and he loves it!

Yeah, I''ll just have to make Peter do that. He''s tried on platinum, white gold, titanium and even tungsten and he absolutely loves how light titanium is. He even wants one with three little diamonds in it.
1.gif

TylerKlein

Rough_Rock
OOOooOOO.. Talks of Ti now...

Ti is a very similar metal when compared to Pt. Roughly the same boiling/melting points. However, both are rarley used in thier pure form. Usualy mixed with other metals/gases to create a superior product compared to thier pure form. While Pt is VERY VERY mallable Ti is the exact oppposite.(in thier pure elemental states) It would be scary to have this type of ring on my finger, though, it might be added protection. If something were to hit the ring, nothing would happen to your finger. Below are the str/density of Ti in two forms. Not sure what form of Ti is used in ring, but I would venture a guess of a commercial grade.

For "commercially pure" Ti alloy, you are looking at a strength of...
-Yield---Str/Density --78(x106N.m.kg-1)
-Tensile---Str/Density--107(x106N.m.kg-1)

For your "aircraft titanium" this is what it would look like...
Ti-10%V-2%Fe-3%Al
-Yield---Str/Density --264(x106N.m.kg-1)
-Tensile---Str/Density--282(x106N.m.kg-1)
(Roughly 3x stronger than stainless steel)

Now, I need to dig deeper into my chemistry books and find this stuff out for Pt.

To the comments regarding my previous comment:
Dispite the lack of Pt in the band(holes, etc.) if it is indeed 90% Pt(which i believe most rings are or perhaps I found a bad internet source) and 10% ANYTHING else, I still can''t see it breaking like that. Unless there was just a flaw somewhere. Cooling after casting, casting the ring itself, temp at which it was melted, who know?!?! Something that baffles me!!! To be honest, if she never noticed bumping(SMASHING/SLAMMING) the ring into something and that happned, then there is a huge chance it was a manufacturing flaw. To cause that much damage to correctly smelted Pt you would know you did it. It would be interesting to see what the out-side sources had to say about the breakage. Not that I am saying there could be someone out there playing dirty.... but if that happened to my finace''s ring, being the chem-dork that I am, I would grill the manufacture and the outside sources.(though they would probably prove me wrong in the end)

Will update when I figure out the str/density of Pt.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 12:34:20 AM
Author: XChick03

Date: 3/1/2006 12:31:23 AM

Yeah, I'll just have to make Peter do that. He's tried on platinum, white gold, titanium and even tungsten and he absolutely loves how light titanium is. He even wants one with three little diamonds in it.
1.gif

I never see Hubby take off his wedding ring! I wish my hubby would take his off sometimes like when he's working on the sport bike. His is made out of this stuff: Titanium 6/6/2 consists of 86% titanium, 6% aluminum, 6% vanadium, 2% tin. It has a tensile strength of up to 180,000 psi and a Brinell hardness value of 389. (Tyler will like this info, I am sure!
9.gif
)
35.gif

zach_xt

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 10:48:37 PM
xchick..the interesting thing is that if this ring was titanium, and something happened to it on the finger, the finger would be the one sustaining the trauma because titanium doesn't bend, esp the aircraft grade stuff. part of why i love that my ring is platinum!! hopefully it will bend and break INSTEAD of my finger going with it!

I know this is going off topic now, but I don't think titanium's resistance to bending is going to make much difference. I know of a few people, one personally, who have lost fingers wearing 18k gold bands. If the ring fits relatively snugly like normal, it doesn't matter what the ring is made of. Flesh is softer than metal, whether it be platinum or titanium.

-----------------

Going back to the topic at hand, please read the link to Mark Morrell's site that I posted earlier. It has good detailed descriptions of a few platinum alloys. Ciffs Notes: Some platinum alloys are less malleable than others and more likely to crack.

In my opinion, a ring cannot just decide to break. Even a ring with porosity issues would still require a reasonable amount of force to end up in that shape. DL's not remembering damaging the ring is moot. SOMETHING happened to it. Everything else after that is all speculation. Nobody here knows for sure whether there was an inherent flaw in the ring itself, so why go on with aimless arguments?

This thread has made me sad in two ways: 1) I am sad that DL's ring was damaged, no matter how it happened. Having anything that is of sentimental value damaged is an upsetting thing. 2) It makes me sad that some of the wonderful people of this site have begun arguing and hurting feelings over what amounts to nothing more than SPECULATION! I hope no bridges were burned in the course of this thread. I may be new here but I have come to respect everyone here, due mainy to the unbelievable level of kindness and courtesy everyone presented. Don't tarnish this beautiful thing. This horrible pun may have been said before (it would surprise me if it hasn't) but, this place is a diamond in the rough.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve also stayed out of this thread until now, but I wanted to say that I think MrsSalvo was treated a bit unfairly. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it is not the popular one.

FWIW, I totally agree with MrsSalvo. If that were my ring, and my jeweler said they got two independent appraisals on it, I would want to get my own independant appraisal of the ring as well -- or, at the very least see the report from the appraisals. (Acutally, I probably would have gotten an appraisal before I sent the ring back to WF, but that''s just skeptical me.) If I had to pay for the repair I would think that it''s only fair that I would be at the very least, shown the reports, and not just go by "this is what our independent appraisers told us". Even if the insurance going to pay for it, DL will wind up paying a higher premium in the long run.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i know the last thing anyone wants is to see this thread bumped
14.gif
but i wanted mrssalvo to know that i am sorry for going over the top with the legal comment. i spoke in frustration and it was out of line.

i''m looking forward to a happy ending to all of this
1.gif

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
WHOA! I hadn''t checked PS since yesterday afternoon when I was at work because I had a busy night. I just wanted to state for the record that I have 100% faith in WF and they have been extremely helpful throughout the whole situation, and in the entire process actually from picking out the stone, to having the setting made, to replacing the melee stone that fell out at no cost to us, to this. Obviously there are many people here on PS that have used WF and haven''t had anything happen to their ring. I must have done something to it and just don''t remember, (note to self: must be more like Ame). I''m also thankful that it protected my finger from whatever could have happened to it. I teach yoga and missing my left ring finger would make balancing a little difficult I would imagine. Maybe I am a WF groupie, but I am very happy with their customer service and their procedures and policies. So, please don''t hold this against them, because if you knew me in person you wouldn''t be so shocked, I''m super klutzy. My Dad doesn''t think I should ever have a baby because he thinks I will drop it.
6.gif
4.gif

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
I personally am excited about learning plat properties and the info about these delicate type settings. I too agree with several other members here and would have taken the ring to a metallurgist as I know one who specializes in failure analysis PRIOR to sending it back to WF as I am a paranoid person and I think a true OUTSIDE opinion carries more weight.

Mrs Salvo and Belle You two are class acts-IT takes alot of stength and courage to admit one may have made a boo boo and apologise.

Group hug
face23.gif

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 12:40:51 PM
Author: dazedland
WHOA! I hadn''t checked PS since yesterday afternoon when I was at work because I had a busy night. I just wanted to state for the record that I have 100% faith in WF and they have been extremely helpful throughout the whole situation, and in the entire process actually from picking out the stone, to having the setting made, to replacing the melee stone that fell out at no cost to us, to this. Obviously there are many people here on PS that have used WF and haven''t had anything happen to their ring. I must have done something to it and just don''t remember, (note to self: must be more like Ame). I''m also thankful that it protected my finger from whatever could have happened to it. I teach yoga and missing my left ring finger would make balancing a little difficult I would imagine. Maybe I am a WF groupie, but I am very happy with their customer service and their procedures and policies. So, please don''t hold this against them, because if you knew me in person you wouldn''t be so shocked, I''m super klutzy. My Dad doesn''t think I should ever have a baby because he thinks I will drop it.
6.gif
4.gif
Dazedland: Who designed the ring? Sometimes it''s much better to give up some beauty in a design and gain strength. That design has 90 some holes in the ring shank and they aren''t making the ring stronger. Just the opposite. The more holes in the shank, the weaker it is. Looking at the pictures, it broke at the holes. IMHO you may have bent the shank, but it broke at the holes. I would call it a design flaw, if it wasn''t a casting flaw.
Now this is just my opinion and I am not a professional jewelry maker. I am glad that you have insurance on the ring, but I wouldn''t take all the fault on this breakage. Some of it goes to the design.

Joker....

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
MrSalvo, don''t feel bad, it''s just an opinon, nothing more. You can disagree with the conclusion and no one thinks less of you. Hugs!

Question: Totally unrelated, but why do some pave ring shad the holes drilled into the inside of the bands and some don''t? What do the holes do? My ring is 3 sided pave, and it doesn''t have any holes, so I was just wondering if that makes it stronger?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
mine has the holes on the inside, and it just makes it WAY easier to keep it clean..i know when i can''t see through the holes that it''s really dirty!!

in terms of WHY they are there, i have no idea. i just figured it was for easier cleaning etc. but i have seen rings without them too.

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
This may sound dumb, but I don''t think I even ever realized they were there, and what they could be for etc. the cleaning thing makes mucho sense! I will ask WF when I talk to them next if they know what the difference is...
I don''t know what else I would do, but I''m not going to worry about that now because I am having the same ring re-made and I can''t wait to wear it again! Also, since I asked for it to be designed that way in the first place that could be blamed on moi, there are so many possibilities and I appreciate everyone''s opinions/support, but I''m going with the it happens once, it''s my fault, it''s getting resolved, awesome approach, if it were to happen again that would be a different story.
Also it is only considered slander if you make false claims against a person/place that are untrue without prejudice. Mrs. S. and whoever else was standing up for the cause I love you and who knows you could be right, but I am trusting and want my ring back yesterday! :)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2006 3:52:06 PM
Author: allycat0303

Question: Totally unrelated, but why do some pave ring shad the holes drilled into the inside of the bands and some don't?

Not sure... could be a few reasons - some good (say, no holes on very dainty rings that need the extra support to keep shape) and some bad (e.g. no holes on very lightweight cost-saving settings that would really not hold together if pierced)...

What do the holes do?

Hold diamonds in place. The fact that this also allows easier cleaning is a bonus. I am sure there are variations on the theme - however, all fine rings I have ever seen anywhere have the seats carved out of the structure of the band (think - hoenycomb) - and this makes the stone sit stable, the band durable and the holes on the back large all in one. The castings need to be made on measure though - meaning - $$. Pave is a different story. The diamonds being so small, their 'seats' don't need to pierce though the band. And I am quite sure there are variations on the theme...

My ring is 3 sided pave, and it doesn't have any holes, so I was just wondering if that makes it stronger?

Yes, it does. And that's why small pieces paved on all sides are solid. Which means the pave was set by hand, most likely. Neil said it very well on a different thread recently -https://www.pricescope.com/communit...n-pave-rings-that-are-handmade-vs-cast.41084/
As much as I know...

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Whoa, I think we need a group hug and a big batch of Mojitos (with rum Mara) for everyone! I just hope you get your ring back soon Dazedland and that it will be as good as new. I will certainly be more careful with my own three sided pave ring now!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 4:35:35 PM
Author: Sundial
Whoa, I think we need a group hug and a big batch of Mojitos (with rum Mara) for everyone! I just hope you get your ring back soon Dazedland and that it will be as good as new. I will certainly be more careful with my own three sided pave ring now!
*in very small voice*

but i don''t like rum..

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
one batch w/o rum for you then. I do think the cubian hottie and cubain rum which tastes diff than American rum makes it better.

But i insist on fresh lemons or limes no bottled crap!

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
wow......lol....

hey, i have a question here....i''ve been havin'' this problem lately....should i go for it and splurge for the royal asscher or continue my never-ending stressful search of a square emerald asscher cut?

lol.....

(i dunno if i care for rum either.....how ''bout an ice cold hefeweizen?)

most sincerely, and in good fun......the hog.

automaton

Rough_Rock
OMG OMG OMG i hope it gets fixed that looks so awful

i almost cried for you and then i drank some fruitty drink with an umbrella

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I am so happy DL that this has finally come to a full resolution- I wonder what the heck happenned? Those pics are insane!! Anyway, my recommendation ( I think everyone will look at me as an Ame Jr.. lol) is to really be careful with your ring, when you wear it, etc....I know a lot of people wear their ring everyday, no matter what, and that is fine for them, but I have a lot of friends whose rings looked all banged up 2 months after they got them...You know I am a nurse, and I work in a critical care unit where things go wrong all the time, and I have to work quickly, and I am CONSTANTLY banging my hands. I have chose from day 1 not to wear my e-ring to work because of this. I wear it on my days off, and/or if I am anticipating doing some hefty work or work that involves using my hands a lot, I take my ring off. I do not wear it to the gym, do not wear it while cleaning, etc...some people say- well, you have insurance, right? So wear it!! But, I firmly believe there is a time and place for everything, including when and where to wear your ring. It would break my heart if my ring were damaged (sorry). So please, just be a little more careful...and dont wear it to yoga!!!!
emwink.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 3:52:06 PM
Author: allycat0303
MrSalvo, don''t feel bad, it''s just an opinon, nothing more. You can disagree with the conclusion and no one thinks less of you. Hugs!

Question: Totally unrelated, but why do some pave ring shad the holes drilled into the inside of the bands and some don''t? What do the holes do? My ring is 3 sided pave, and it doesn''t have any holes, so I was just wondering if that makes it stronger?

I think it may be for being able to clean the diamonds. I had something happen to my 18k yellow gold ring with micropave. It does not have holes where the mele is set (the baguettes do, but not the round pave). I jumped into the pool last summer and I was only in it for maybe 45 minutes. When I got out, my ring was black under all the micropave. At first I actually thought I had lost some of the diamonds. Well after taking it to the jeweler he said that although the ring was very well made, the design of the ring prevented them from really getting underneath the mele without unseating it and having to reset it. They did a great job cleaning it, but it will never look brand new again unless I pay to have all those tiny diamonds removed, then reset, which would be labor intensive to get the tiny prongs low and smooth as they are now. It would cost hundreds of dollars. I think that''s the idea behind having the little set holes -- there''s less metal to tarnish or get dirt under. (And now I''m a solitaire gal. Only one diamond to worry about.)

I had no idea that 18k gold would tarnish like that. Seems like there is a whole lot that can happen to metal that, at least *I*, had no idea about. I would have thought that DL would definitely know when she damaged her ring, but you know, I had no idea jumping in the pool for such a short period of time would damage my ring. Live and learn, and thank goodness for insurance.

BTW, Mrssalvo, I love to read your posts and don''t think you have anything to be ashamed or sorry for.
1.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
"BTW, Mrssalvo, I love to read your posts and don''t think you have anything to be ashamed or sorry for. "

AGREED, LUMPKIN!!! We love MrsS!!!!

mamchris

Rough_Rock
I am having my ring custom ER made as we speak. I have been involved in the entire process right down to the holes drilled into the band for the side bead set stones. Since it is almost an eternity band the diamonds go almost all the way around. Well i needed room for the jewelers mark, the metal mark and some engraving, so the jeweler told me that the would fill in some of the holes, to make room to write inside of the ring. She told me that I could have the ring solid metal inside if I wanted but they recommended the holes for cleaning purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results