shape
carat
color
clarity

Alas, It ''twas my fault

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
So WF got the ring back and it was my fault. We''re not sure how, at first I thought maybe when I was carrying a tv, but then I realized later that I wasn''t wearing it then. I''m totally bewildered. They are remaking it and hopefully everything will go smoothly and I will have it back soon
emembarrassed.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
So they could tell that it wasn''t porosity? Isn''t it strange that you can''t remember damaging it? What do you think happened?

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I still don''t understand how that could be your fault! See? You''ve really got to stop with that javelin throwing. Hope all will be good as new! At least it''s getting fixed.
1.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
wow that is weird...I saw the post this morning (been gone for a while) and seems like something crushed the band.

Well I am glad that you are getting a new baby!
36.gif

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
They said it was bent, etc. and that they would send me pictures that they took. I''ll post them when I get them.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
off the topic...but where in NYC did you live? I am in Manhattan

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 4:20:09 PM
Author:dazedland
So WF got the ring back and it was my fault.
Why? How? How can this even be known? I''m hoping an expert will weigh in. It''s frustrating to think that after just SEVEN MONTHS of wear something like this is possible without a huge accident that you''d surely remember. Very worrysome.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I hope that finger you broke while doing whatever you did to damage the ring gets better soon.
2.gif
I would love to know what's involved in the testing process and how the conclusions are drawn. I'd be into a version of CSI for jewelry homicide.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
That is so strange! Can you remind us again how you first noticed the damage? You were taking a shower, put the ring on afterwards, and it looked like it had been through the garbage disposal? How does that happen?? It just seems too bizarre? How do you feel about the outcome? Are you making the ring exactly the same? Did WF say that maybe the original design was too delicate? Sorry -- a lot of questions, just curious!

ETA I too would be curious to know how the ring is tested for porosity! That ring looked so messed up, I really want to know how that can happen to a perfectly sound ring without the person wearing it realizing it!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmmm. Yeah, I''d be up for a jewelry CSI as well. And why didn''t you tell us about your bionic hand that can withstand metal crunching pressure???

Ah, well. I am very hopeful that you have a good insurance policy that will handle this for you. Hopefully you will have your e-ring back before you know it.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 4:30:24 PM
Author: Demelza
That is so strange! Can you remind us again how you first noticed the damage? You were taking a shower, put the ring on afterwards, and it looked like it had been through the garbage disposal? How does that happen?? It just seems too bizarre? How do you feel about the outcome? Are you making the ring exactly the same? Did WF say that maybe the original design was too delicate? Sorry -- a lot of questions, just curious!
good questions dem. the ring did look like it had been in a vice grip from the pictures. i doubt it was spontaneous combustion. some impact or crush had to have happened at some point. it certainly didn't have to be on your finger when it happened, of course you would have noticed that! maybe if you didn't have it on when you were carrying the tv it got caught in a door or something?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's really not so strange to bend a ring..platinum is MALLEABLE people and bends, and especially when you have melee diamonds taking up space where platinum could be, there are bound to be accidents, even ones you maybe don't even realize.

This is part of why my jeweler did not want us to get pave. He'd had clients who came in with bent or crushed melee or pave rings from just pulling too hard on the steering wheel or doing this or that. He said the more diamonds, the less amount of metal to keep it strong. This is probably also why WF won't do pave rings less than 2mm etc.

In any case, no harm done, the ring is being remade so that's great...unfortunately this tells me that maybe a ring like yours is not meant to be worn while doing heavy lifting gal!!
5.gif

ETA: it's a good thing that platinum DOES bend or else I can guarantee you that you would have felt alot more pain to your finger if the ring did not bend or give, your finger would have.

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
Hi, John is going to post pictures for me so you can see it even more mangled with a good camera.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I realize that platinum is very soft and malleable, but I didn''t think it was brittle (i.e. prone to cracking). I thought that the bonds between the molecules were so strong that the metal could bend quite a lot without actually coming apart??? Perhaps it''s the case, as Mara said, that there were so many diamonds in the ring that there just wasn''t enough platinum to hold it together under pressure. I hope John comes on to explain! Makes me a bit worried about my very thin, pave MB ring!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dem...your MB ring, the lace one has so little actual diamonds in it that it seems like the metal would be fine...but when you are talking more encrusted with diamonds, there doesn''t leave much room for metal. all i know is that my jeweler who has been in business for 30+ years in various venues had seen pave lose stones, crack, bend, and that''s why he didn''t recommend it, esp for me with active hands. sometimes i press my hand against the underside of my metal chair at home pulling it towards me and many times i have thought wow if my rings were any flimsier, they would totally bend at the pressure i am putting on them right now with this metal and chair with my body in it. just a random thought.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I just went and looked at the pics you posted a couple weeks back, and all I can say is that obviously something happened to the ring. Like Belle said, it wasn''t spontaneous combustion. Of course, I understand you saying that you can''t remember doing anything to the ring that would have caused this damage, but it is quite obvious that something happened. What it was, apparently we will never know!!

I have several dents in my old and current ering setting that I have no idea how, where, when they occurred.
3.gif
Of course, when I look down at my hands, I also see a lot of scratches, papercuts, etc. that I don''t remember getting either LOL.
31.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I''m no expert but I honestly cannot see how they are saying it was you''re fault, but whatever. I will be interested to see what the experts here who chimed in with their opinions on the other thread about the possible of porisity and poor craftmanship being the culprit have to say now that WF is saying that they are wrong and dazed is to blame.

I sure would not have them remake it the same way. It would be way to highmaintance a setting for me if that''s the case and who''d want to throw that kind of $$ down the drain always having to deal with stones popping out or accidently bending it? I just don''t get it and am axious to see John''s pictures.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 4:52:24 PM
Author: Mara
Dem...your MB ring, the lace one has so little actual diamonds in it that it seems like the metal would be fine...but when you are talking more encrusted with diamonds, there doesn''t leave much room for metal. all i know is that my jeweler who has been in business for 30+ years in various venues had seen pave lose stones, crack, bend, and that''s why he didn''t recommend it, esp for me with active hands. sometimes i press my hand against the underside of my metal chair at home pulling it towards me and many times i have thought wow if my rings were any flimsier, they would totally bend at the pressure i am putting on them right now with this metal and chair with my body in it. just a random thought.
i remember you saying that your jeweler warned you about pave''. having a 3sided pave'' ring is not (literally) the piece de resistance
31.gif
these thin bands are more prone to bending just because of how delicate they are. when you add diamonds to 3 of the 4 sides, there is no doubt the structural integrity is compromised.
7.gif

the surgeon general should issue a high maintenance warning for these pretty in pave'' rings.
37.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mrs Salvo, anything is POSSIBLE of course.

I just figure that those who actually HAVE the rings in their actual possession would be able to tell us a little bit more than any of us just looking at pictures and a bunch of armchair experts (myself included). And to me something like a ring like that (encrusted) bending is not soo farfetched to be so strange.

I know others here have had issues with their rings from other vendors, so I wouldn't necessarily reiterate 'poor craftsmanship' when none of us have even seen the ring.

Lastly I don't think anyone is TO BLAME, it's not like WF is going 'na na na you did it' to DL...seriously this whole thread just seems like a study in how a lynch mob mentality can be started based on assumption and pictures.

The ring is bent. It's getting remade. I would ask WF if this is likely to happen again, if so change the structural integrity of it to make it stronger.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
That''s just amazing I can''t believe you could have done that! It looked like someone ran it over with a truck, but at least it''s being fixed and all will be right with the world again
9.gif

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
None of the other gals with 3 sided pave seem to be having any problems that I know of, i.e. Lovey, Reena, I can''t even think of anymore of the top of my head but I know there are a lot. Maybe I''m just a klutz, but we''ll see what happens this time, and I will definitely get Chubb when I get my new insurance in AZ. If something were to happen again I would change the design most likely. I think I am getting the setting back with all the little diamonds because they are starting from scratch. I sonder what I could do with that, or if it''s junk and the diamonds are as well because they are using all new ones.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 4:29:23 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I''d be into a version of CSI for jewelry homicide.
LMAO!!!! It''s so funny how those shows and forensic science has given us the impression we can "get to the bottom" of everything. Like the pet CSI story going on lately where they were trying to figure out who''s pet peed where or something through DNA ?? Did I imagine that? Or the MTV show ROOM RAIDERS where they use black lights to look for stains on people''s sheets & stuff. Double Yick.
32.gif

What''s next? "The Diamond Whisperer"? "Psychic Jewelry Detectives"? (If they find lost earrings, count me in!!)
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 5:28:24 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 2/28/2006 4:29:23 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I''d be into a version of CSI for jewelry homicide.
LMAO!!!! It''s so funny how those shows and forensic science has given us the impression we can ''get to the bottom'' of everything. Like the pet CSI story going on lately where they were trying to figure out who''s pet peed where or something through DNA ?? Did I imagine that? Or the MTV show ROOM RAIDERS where they use black lights to look for stains on people''s sheets & stuff. Double Yick.
32.gif

What''s next? ''The Diamond Whisperer''? ''Psychic Jewelry Detectives''? (If they find lost earrings, count me in!!)
2.gif
Some woman sent samples to a forensic lab to prove that the neighbor''s dog killed her cat....did you read about that? Fascinating. She proved it too....but they wouldn''t allow her to press charges.

The Diamond Whisperer - I like it. Hello little diamond, are you sad today? Feelin'' dirty? Neglected? LOL.
37.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 5:14:36 PM
Author: Mara
Mrs Salvo, anything is POSSIBLE of course.

I just figure that those who actually HAVE the rings in their actual possession would be able to tell us a little bit more than any of us just looking at pictures and a bunch of armchair experts (myself included). And to me something like a ring like that (encrusted) bending is not soo farfetched to be so strange.

I know others here have had issues with their rings from other vendors, so I wouldn''t necessarily reiterate ''poor craftsmanship'' when none of us have even seen the ring.

Lastly I don''t think anyone is TO BLAME, it''s not like WF is going ''na na na you did it'' to DL...seriously this whole thread just seems like a study in how a lynch mob mentality can be started based on assumption and pictures.

The ring is bent. It''s getting remade. I would ask WF if this is likely to happen again, if so change the structural integrity of it to make it stronger.

I agree, which is why I will be interersted to see the pictures from WF. I would think many of the experts who have seen rings do what her''s did could come up with a pretty good explaination without having to actually see it. I have the confidence that they have seen enough of them in person to recognize it in a picture. But, you''re right, WF has them and made the final call.

That ring may be bent, but it also broke, it was not just mis-shapen and her finger is is in one peice. Maybe she bent it, that is possible but in my uneducated mind i cannot grasp anything other that faulty metal to allow a bent ring to crack. What the experts who chimed in the other thread said made sense to me. As I said I''m anxious to hear WF''s experts too.

I should have used Rich''s words "defecting casting" rather than poor workmanship..

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Hi DL.

We were trying to send you hi-res photos and your mail server was kicking them back. I resized them and put several together for you here. Renee will mail you these (in a realistic size) and several others.

For those tuning in: The issue was not porosity or normal daily wear. The damage was likely caused by an impact to either the mid portion or bottom part of the shank. There are impact marks, and this explains the bend in the ring and the twin breaking points. We had two outside sources analyze the ring. They came to the same conclusion.

Fortunately DL has already started the claim process with her insurance company and we hope to get her ring made whole and back to her soon.

DL_Broken_Ring1.jpg

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for posting the pictures John. I don''t know why they are being bounced back, possibly the file size is too large. Regardless I can jus t save them from PS if I need to. I miss my ring! Do you think if I''m less spastic that the design will hold up well, or is the three sided pave a problem? I''m keeping it the way it is, but I just want to know for future reference.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW those images are just amazing.

i actually find this whole thing SO incredibly fascinating. i mean to think that our rings have the capability to DO that, to look like that, it''s disturbing but interesting as well just from a visual perspective. in that top right picture the whole thing is just bent OVER. bottom left ..yikes!

and i hope this doesnt upset you DL, because it''s not meant to but the first thing i thought was... HOW IN HELL could you put that ring on your finger and just be driving and look down and see it like that? how did it even fit over your finger? it boggles the mind. were you really distracted that day?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 5:39:30 PM
Author: dazedland
Thanks for posting the pictures John. I don't know why they are being bounced back, possibly the file size is too large. Regardless I can jus t save them from PS if I need to. I miss my ring! Do you think if I'm less spastic that the design will hold up well, or is the three sided pave a problem? I'm keeping it the way it is, but I just want to know for future reference.
You're welcome DL. I think we were trying to send you about 20MB of photos, so yes - your server was right to kick them back to us.

With 3 sided pave you're putting holes in the shank from every direction since there are holes for cleaning from the back. Pave on 1 or 2 sides would be stronger. I can't advise you on taste or judge anyone's 'spasticity'
2.gif
except my own. I'd just advise that you consider what kind of activities you're normally engaged in with any design.

I work hard and play hard so I don't always wear a watch. My basic rule is dress shoes = dress watch. I think Renee tells her active clients that "If you wouldn't wear your Pradas, don't wear your ring."
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, those pictures are amazing. Dazed, seriously check with WF about what changes to make to help insure this doesn''t happen again.

Maybe the experts can chime in on the differences between handmade pave and cast peices and if this does or does not have anything to do with this type of thing occuring. If it''s random and can happen to any piece handmade or not, I''m not sure i''d want to own pave anything
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results