shape
carat
color
clarity

Alas, It ''twas my fault

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
That definitely makes sense!

Mara - I swear that when JP put it on my finger it was not bent or cracked like that, so it must have happened when I was driving, or there was a crack in the center from abuse prior to then and it just went on me. I swear on my ring!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Wow John, those photos are amazing
6.gif

DL, I''m just glad you had insurance and that in the end everything will okay!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dazeland, I am so sorry for all of this. I have no clue what happened, guess you''ll never know. I hope you get your new ring soon. Hang in there, Lisa
1.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Okay this may just be my own obtuse nature but are the cracks in the photos the impact marks? I don’t understand since one set of the marks seems like it was above the finger line and the other on the opposite side of her finger and below? It seems like you would have to close your hand in a door, or something like that to have that set of markings…I don’t get it?
33.gif

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t get it either. Like everyone said, I couldn''t imagine not remembering doing that to my ring.

I once slammed my hand in the door with my original e-ring on. My hand hurt like hell and the only thing wrong with my ring was that I bent a prong. I once dropped my ring in the garbage disposal too and I was able to get it out in one piece.

I''m glad the insurance is taking care of this for you. Reminder to self -- don''t get a 3 sided pave ring!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 6:09:27 PM
Author: Matatora
Okay this may just be my own obtuse nature but are the cracks in the photos the impact marks? I don’t understand since one set of the marks seems like it was above the finger line and the other on the opposite side of her finger and below? It seems like you would have to close your hand in a door, or something like that to have that set of markings…I don’t get it?
33.gif
i am quite sure the impact damage did NOT happen on the finger. unless dazedland was punch drunk for a week and feeling no pain, the impact had to of happened off the finger.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
OMG, I''m so sorry this happened to you. Thank God for insurance!!!!

I know you said that BF brought you the ring and put it on your finger after your shower. Is it possible that he dropped and stepped on it and just doesn''t want to tell you that? Just a thought. If two different outside sources examined the ring and agree it was damage and not porosity (they have to see it under a microscope I think) that only leaves a couple of options. Not blaming the messenger, just thinking outside the box.

shay

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 6:19:34 PM
Author: belle

33.gif
i am quite sure the impact damage did NOT happen on the finger. unless dazedland was punch drunk for a week and feeling no pain, the impact had to of happened off the finger.

so how did something impact damage her ring, while she wasn''t wearing it and only damage the 2 places and not smash the whole ring or the head which is perfectly intact?

t

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 6:28:18 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 2/28/2006 6:19:34 PM

33.gif

so how did something impact damage her ring, while she wasn't wearing it and only damage the 2 places and not smash the whole ring or the head which is perfectly intact?

t
well..we can continue to make guesses about what might have happened if you want. i don't really see the point though. wf examined the ring and they had two outside sources examine the ring. they all came to the same conclusion...the ring was impacted by something. they didn't say what. probably because they don't know. now if they have seen it and don't know what caused the damage, how in the world can anyone sit here looking at pictures to tell what it was or how it happened?

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 5:05:36 PM
Well I''m no expert but I honestly cannot see how they are saying it was you''re fault, but whatever. I will be interested to see what the experts here who chimed in with their opinions on the other thread about the possible of porisity and poor craftmanship being the culprit have to say now that WF is saying that they are wrong and dazed is to blame.

I sure would not have them remake it the same way. It would be way to highmaintance a setting for me if that''s the case and who''d want to throw that kind of $$ down the drain always having to deal with stones popping out or accidently bending it? I just don''t get it and am axious to see John''s pictures.
I agree totally. I really believe you would have felt some amount of pain if you caused the damage while wearing it. It was shredded!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
it could be that some damage happened while wearing it and then maybe it just further went downhill on it's own? who really knows...it's so hard to speculate.

DL are you sure your bf didnt drop it or something? i was thinking something like maybe dropped it while vacuuming, ran it over with the vacuum and didn't notice. i don't know it was just kind of a random thought. that is what i had thought originally...but you said that it was not like that when it went on your finger. just so odd.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 6:38:58 PM
Date: 2/28/2006 6:28:18 PM

t
well..we can continue to make guesses about what might have happened if you want. i don't really see the point though. wf examined the ring and they had two outside sources examine the ring. they all came to the same conclusion...the ring was impacted by something. they didn't say what. probably because they don't know. now if they have seen it and don't know what caused the damage, how in the world can anyone sit here looking at pictures to tell what it was or how it happened?

I agree, no point in guessing for no one can know. I guess I personlly would not be satified with Wf's or their outside sources conclusions. I still think our appraiser's who chimed in on the other thread or someone who has experience seeing this type of damage would be able to tell something from a picture. But hey, I'm just a consumer who doesn't know much and it's not my ring
9.gif

I'm very glad it will be fixed and dazed will have it back on her finger soon
1.gif

ETA: i am very curious to learn about this and hope some of the experts can enlighten me on the pave setting process and it's implications. I also starting a thread
1.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
What it comes down to is that WE have not seen the damaged ring. WF had it looked at by two outside sources, both coming to the same conclusion. If DL is still concerned it was not her fault, then she should get herself another independent opinion.

But all of us sitting here arguing how it may or may not have happened is not helping the matter. And anyone who says, "well other experts all said it was xyz in the other thread..." Well, all I can say is that they did not examined the ring in person! Nor have we! And like I''ve already said, if DL wants, she can get another opinion.

And am I the only one who noticed this from DL''s original thread: "Ok so yesterday I had had my ring off all day sitting on my vanity and my fiancee put it on my finger when I was getting ready to leave the house and it was fine, I was driving along and all of a sudden I looked down and it was broken almost in half." Who knows what happened to that ring on her vanity? Maybe something fell on it? Who knows!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
rascal,
I agree, we don't know, but i'm am still allowed to have my very unpopular opinion
1.gif

zach_xt

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 4:46:19 PM
Author: Demelza
I realize that platinum is very soft and malleable, but I didn''t think it was brittle (i.e. prone to cracking). I thought that the bonds between the molecules were so strong that the metal could bend quite a lot without actually coming apart??? Perhaps it''s the case, as Mara said, that there were so many diamonds in the ring that there just wasn''t enough platinum to hold it together under pressure. I hope John comes on to explain! Makes me a bit worried about my very thin, pave MB ring!!

It depends on the platinum alloy. Depending on the mix, some platinum is more malleable, while another might be more brittle. Just read about it last night here:

courtesy of Mark Morrell''s site

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
" I guess I personlly would not be satified with Wf's or their outside sources conclusions. I still think our appraiser's who chimed in on the other thread or someone who has experience seeing this type of damage would be able to tell something from a picture."

Mrs Salvo you know I love you, but I find this fairly rude.

WF is a respected company, basically you are saying you don't trust them OR that you think they are lying. What is the deal?

Do you not think that they got 2 outside opinions?

If it really was porosity, don't you think they'd admit it? What is the big deal with that? Sometimes shit happens. Dem's SC ring had porosity. We all knew about it. Who cares...people still buy SC rings. But if there are IMPACT POINTS as John said, that means it was HIT. There is no beating around that bush. Hello Ring. This is a bat. I will hit you now. Impact points.

What I find interesting is that everyone is so quick to judge WF rather than looking for holes in DL's story. Now DL I am NOT saying you have holes in your story...but it's just SO friggin typical around here to immediately blame the vendor. (again DL this is not even about you, just in general). Oh this happened to my ring. Oh a melee fell out. Oh my ring is bent. Oh my stone is loose. All of that eventually leads up to: Oh then it must not be made right from the general PS consumer base. Rather than questioning the consumer with what they are saying and how full of a story it is or maybe something happened to their ring that they TOTALLY didn't know about! There are times when my ring is in my jewelry box and who knows, what if my niece comes over or something and decides to play with it while I am taking a nap? Ever think about what normal wear entails?I know for a fact many times on here we don't hear the 'whole story' from the consumer and the vendor is made to look bad through ommission of information OR just plain confusion and speculation on the numerous armchair experts' part.

Now I'm sure some people will be like 'Oh Mara you are just a WF lover'. Well yes, I do like WF and they have done great work for me. But they aren't perfect, I know this and they know this. But I would never say well I wouldn't believe what they said about this ring. I know the people at WF and they are good people and seriously I doubt they would lie about this.

So personally I find your comment a little offensive to them. And I don't understand why you would be SO ADAMANT that they are not telling the truth or somehow MISSED that the ring had porosity or whatever and that it wasn't struck. Just because a few experts (who I definitely respect) in another thread looked at some pictures and thought maybe it was XYZ does not mean that those who actually have the ring got it wrong.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 6:17:57 PM
Author: pebbles

I don''t get it either. Like everyone said, I couldn''t imagine not remembering doing that to my ring.
Actually, I can.

When I was younger, I wore a claddagh ring pretty much all the time. I was moving into a new apartment, and we were moving a piece of furniture. The piece slid down and I caught it......no biggie.

Later that evening, I went to take my rings off, and it was bent to the point that I couldn''t get it off without bending it back a bit. At the time it happened, though, I didn''t realize it had happened. So yeah, I can understand where something happens and you''re not aware of it immediately.

Incidentally, the breaks and the bending seem to fall within that 180 degree axis where I''m wondering if a similar thing didn''t happen here. When on your finger, it something presses the ring back, it would likely be on that 180 axis.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 7:31:46 PM

I guess I personlly would not be satified with Wf''s or their outside sources conclusions.
why? because they aren''t saying what you want to hear?
why do you insist on someone making assumptions based on pictures? i guarantee none of the professionals here would make any kind of conclusive statement from pictures. they understand that to make ANY informed opinions they would have to personally inspect the ring. you can hide under the guise of ''unpopular opinion'' if you want but if i were wf, i would consider your continued harassment defamatory and cause for due legal action.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Wow DL I am really sorry that this happened but I am glad WF is remaking it!
38.gif

Here''s what concerns me about pave rings and vendors (not just WF, when I wanted to get my e-ring reset I called several different PS vendors and alot of them gave me the same type of warning). Engagement rings are supposed to be made to be worn for a lifetime. Even though these settings are delicate, they are supposed to be able to be worn everyday. I''d like to think that I am pretty careful with my ring, I don''t wear it to workout or when I''m cooking or in the shower or sleeping. Yet, I still (just in 2 weeks) have banged my ring twice that I can think of. Once was against a sink and boy, did it hurt my hand! I definitely examined the ring really well after. I just think that if something happened to DL''s ring even without her wearing it she would have had to notice it somehow. I mean the idea of a ring sitting on a vanity table and something falling on it that''s able to break is pretty weird.
23.gif
Even someone stepping on a ring shouldn''t break it.

I guess I''m wondering what caused this because I''d like to know how and when to avoid something like this happening to my ring and I think that this should a learning experience for us here at PS instead of saying that we shouldn''t question WF or get to the bottom of this. It''s not that I''m questioning WF as a company I don''t really think anyone is. I''d just like to know what ''impact'' it was that caused the breakage to the ring.
33.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 7:56:00 PM
Author: Princess V
38.gif

Here''s what concerns me about pave rings and vendors (not just WF, when I wanted to get my e-ring reset I called several different PS vendors and alot of them gave me the same type of warning). Engagement rings are supposed to be made to be worn for a lifetime. Even though these settings are delicate, they are supposed to be able to be worn everyday. I''d like to think that I am pretty careful with my ring, I don''t wear it to workout or when I''m cooking or in the shower or sleeping. Yet, I still (just in 2 weeks) have banged my ring twice that I can think of. Once was against a sink and boy, did it hurt my hand! I definitely examined the ring really well after. I just think that if something happened to DL''s ring even without her wearing it she would have had to notice it somehow. I mean the idea of a ring sitting on a vanity table and something falling on it that''s able to break is pretty weird.
23.gif

I guess I''m wondering what caused this because I''d like to know how and when to avoid something like this happening to my ring and I think that this should a learning experience for us here at PS instead of saying that we shouldn''t question WF or get to the bottom of this. It''s not that I''m questioning WF as a company I don''t really think anyone is. I''d just like to know what ''impact'' it was that caused the breakage to the ring.
33.gif
Sweetie, what sort of learning experience are you hoping for? Do you think that even DL has a clue what caused the impact? OBVIOUSLY NOT from her numerous posts. So what makes you think that a bunch of girls on a forum are going to figure it out? Seriously!!!!

Surely we''d ALL love to know what happened so that we could ALL make sure NOT TO DO IT right? I surely don''t want to have to remake my ring. But do you really see any sort of epiphany or lightbulb going off happening here? NO. Instead it''s all just ''well maybe XYZ ate it and then it somehow made it to China and back again''. Even my vacuum scenario was ridiculous but I guess it coulda happened.

So in reality we are not going to find out what happened do it. Can we all somehow just manage to live with it? I surely hope so.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 7:49:10 PM
Author: Mara
'
WF is a respected company, basically you are saying you don't trust them OR that you think they are lying. What is the deal?

Mara, If this happened to me, I honestly would not care who the vendor was I would probably second guess their conclusion and have my own independant source look at it, especially since it's going on my insurance policy which is more money out of my pocket.

I am not trying to disrespect WF and I apoligize if it has come across that way. I know they are a good company, have purchased from them and have recommended them many times.

and belle, you're right, if it were my ring, that is not the answer I would have wanted to hear. Again, I have said many times, I am not an expert, just giving my opinions and wasn't trying to bow out of responsibility.

I will be happy to edit my posts if the moderaters feel it necessary, I surely do not want to be harassing.

I'm so sorry if I offended anyone and again apologize to WF and Dazed
1.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 8:01:56 PM

38.gif

23.gif

33.gif
Sweetie, what sort of learning experience are you hoping for? Do you think that even DL has a clue what caused the impact? OBVIOUSLY NOT from her numerous posts. So what makes you think that a bunch of girls on a forum are going to figure it out? Seriously!!!!

Surely we''d ALL love to know what happened so that we could ALL make sure NOT TO DO IT right? I surely don''t want to have to remake my ring. But do you really see any sort of epiphany or lightbulb going off happening here? NO. Instead it''s all just ''well maybe XYZ ate it and then it somehow made it to China and back again''. Even my vacuum scenario was ridiculous but I guess it coulda happened.

So in reality we are not going to find out what happened do it. Can we all somehow just manage to live with it? I surely hope so.
No need to get condescending.
20.gif
I meant some input from maybe WF and other jewelers what would cause an impact like that to break a ring. In case, I didn''t make myself clear enough I''m asking 1) how much of an impact is required and 2) some examples where the cause was known.

Now before anyone says "Duh, alot of impact" thats not the answer I''m looking for.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't been following this story from the beginning so I didn't read the part about how DL came to notice her ring was broken -- but I just wanted to add my own experience with a platinum prong.

I have a tiffany-style 6-prong solitaire. I clean it every day and look at it constantly. One day about 30 minutes after cleaning it I notice that one of the prongs is bent at more than a 45 degree angle. I wasn't doing anything-- no housecleaning, no working out, the bed wasn't even made yet. I did not recall snagging it on anything and I'm absolutely positive that the prongs were all pointing upwards when I cleaned it 30 minutes prior to noticing. When I took it in for repair my jeweler said it happens all the time and may have been something as simple as taking a cup from the cupboard and hitting the ring the wrong way. I have been wearing this setting for over 5 years so any mfg defects would have shown up a long time ago.

Looking at the "delicateness" of the shank of DL's ring (with all that space between the platinum) and thinking about my own experience makes it easy for me to believe that DL may have somehow broke her own ring through an impact that she didn't even notice.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Someone asked me to take a look at the photos and give my opinion, so here I am. Everybody knows I have no trouble stating my opinion, and I do a lot of "forensic" gemological work.

The photos (which are excellent, by the way), definitely illustrate one thing. There is a twist to the shank viewed from the top, and a bend viewed from the side.

The twist and bend would HAVE to have occurred first, with the breakage occuring second.

Some external trauma had to occur to the ring first before the breakage took place.

The look of it reminds me of rings I have seen where pressure was exerted on the ring from a firm grip around something, like a woman body builder who didn''t take her ring off before gripping a weight or an involuntary panic squeeze on the steering wheel.

If there is no porosity evident, then the breakage would not be attributed to that, but rather external pressure greater than a ring of that design is meant to take.

I stated on the other thread that it would be unusual for a well-made non-defective platinum mounting to break like that. I still feel that way. However, upon viewing these photos I have to say that my attention has shifted from the mounting to the trauma which occurred. Whether it was noticed or not, something happened.

I know the guys at Whiteflash well enough to know that they grit their teeth and take their lumps when deserved. If they''re not taking any lumps in this case after consulting with two different experts, they must be confident of the findings.

Thank God for insurance, eh?

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 7:36:54 PM
rascal,
I agree, we don''t know, but i''m am still allowed to have my very unpopular opinion
1.gif
Absolutely
9.gif

I''m just saying that we are all entitled to our own opinions, but in reality, the only ones that count are those from the people who have actually examined the ring.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 8:07:56 PM

Date: 2/28/2006 8:01:56 PM

38.gif

23.gif

33.gif

No need to get condescending.
20.gif
I meant some input from maybe WF and other jewelers what would cause an impact like that to break a ring. In case, I didn''t make myself clear enough I''m asking 1) how much of an impact is required and 2) some examples where the cause was known.

Now before anyone says ''Duh, alot of impact'' thats not the answer I''m looking for.
Hard to believe it....but I wasn''t being condescending! I was being HONEST. We''re not going to figure it out here which is unfortunate but true. If you want experts to chime in re: what not to do, start a new post.
9.gif
I would love to hear what they have to say about what NOT to do.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Woa everyone is entitled to their opinion. Questioning things is not rude. It is natural to want clear answers.

I know you WF groupies think they can do no wrong but that is not true. I am so glad you all love them so but they are a business run by humans.

Everyone screws up. WF opinion is inherently bias. They have a stake at protecting their OWN reputation and even more so because we are all talking about the broken ring. Thus the word would get out that there was a flaw in their work!

There is no harm discussing both sides of the issue. After all we all love our jewerly and don't want this to happen to any of our pieces.

When reading these boards and responding we all come in with a level of bias. Some have more "the venders" and some hopefully less "the appraisors" and the rest of us probably lie in the middle.

I believe the poster that she did nothing to damage her ring. She seems very reasonable and open to admit wrong doing if indeed she did wrong-In fact she did in the title of this post. I believe there is a chance other factors strongly contributed to the ring breaking. Factors either inherent in the design as Mara pointed out or bad workmanship.

We probably will never know.

PS Just read Richs examination and it does indeed make logical sense. The twisting in all probability Dazed caused. I guess that setting is a delicate one. I thought plat was mallable though not brittle. Kinda scary isn't it.

Regardless I need to say Mrs Salvo you were not rude IMHO. But others were. Of course, I purposely am rude when I think I am right to so I can allow them that too.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I'd just like to know what 'impact' it was that caused the breakage to the ring.
33.gif
I honestly don't think there's a way to determine that now. Whatever caused it happened with no witnesses, and anything else is really speculative and wouldn't really be meaningful. Without an eyewitness, there is no way to know now what caused it.
1.gif
We can hypothesize until the proverbial cows come home, but it's all hot air at this point.

Here's what concerns me about pave rings and vendors (not just WF, when I wanted to get my e-ring reset I called several different PS vendors and alot of them gave me the same type of warning). Engagement rings are supposed to be made to be worn for a lifetime. Even though these settings are delicate, they are supposed to be able to be worn everyday.
Yes, e-rings are meant to be worn every day, but they aren't meant to be indestructible. Even with normal, non-impactful, daily wear, they will require maintenance over a lifetime. My mom took her ring to be cleaned and checked.....it was nearly 35 years old. The bench jeweler marveled at how well her ring had held up considering it was the original workmanship. He noted that most rings need a head rework every 10 years or so. He said it was a testament to the workmanship that it had lasted that long, but that it was very unusual. Instead of doing a whole head replacement, he just rebuilt the eroded area of the head.

The thing about e-rings is....people want what looks beautiful, but that isn't necessarily what's practical for everyday wear. Then they have to reconcile their hearts desire with practicality. Lots of people love the look of a little black dress and skinny 4-inch heels, but it's just not practical wear to go hiking in.
1.gif
Sometimes what we like and what makes sense aren't the same thing.

That's not to say that folks shouldn't choose what they like......but it hopefully does mean being aware of its restrictions and limitations. Balsa wood may be nice, but it won't work if I want to use it to build a deck onto my house. I have to decide which is more important - how it looks (go for the balsa wood and never go onto the deck...ornamental only) or how durable it is (not as cute as balsa wood, but my guests won't crash through my deck 20 ft to the ground).
2.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 8:24:29 PM
Author: Kimberly
Woa everyone is entitled to their opinion. Questioning things is not rude. It is natural to want clear answers.

I know you WF groupies think they can do no wrong but that is not true. I am so glad you all love them so but they are a business run by humans.

Everyone screws up. WF opinion is inherently bias. They have a stake at protecting their OWN reputation and even more so because we are all talking about the broken ring. Thus the word would get out that there was a flaw in their work!

There is no harm discussing both sides of the issue. After all we all love our jewerly and don't want this to happen to any of our pieces.

When reading these boards and responding we all come in with a level of bias. Some have more 'the venders' and some hopefully less 'the appraisors' and the rest of us probably lie in the middle.

I believe the poster that she did nothing to damage her ring. She seems very reasonable and open to admit wrong doing if indeed she did wrong-In fact she did in the title of this post. I believe there is a chance other factors strongly contributed to the ring breaking. Factors either inherent in the design as Mara pointed out or bad workmanship.

We probably will never know.
actually, we are a group of happy customers and it is for exactly the reason you listed...they are human. yes, they may make mistakes but what sets them apart is that they will bend over backwards to make things right.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
"I know you WF groupies think they can do no wrong but that is not true. I am so glad you all love them so but they are a business run by humans."

Kimberly you obviously missed where I said up above that WF is not perfect and I know it and that everyone makes mistakes. So I may be a WF groupie, but I know they can do wrong.
2.gif

However I also know that they ADMIT when they were wrong and try to make it right. There are countless experiences like that on here. Think about it people...wouldn't it just have been easier for them if they wanted positive PR to say 'oh okay it was porosity, we are so sorry, we will fix it for free?' Instead they took what some could consider the HARD ROAD and said, 'sorry DL it was something you did.' They are charging her to remake the ring.

Knowing she would come here and post about it and that all the fish would start biting on the bait. That everyone would question did she really do anything, is WF lying?

Wouldn't it have been easier for them to just say it was porosity and then pay for have it fixed? But no they didnt do that. So here they are, taking their lumps about how it could be bad craftsmanship or they could be lying etc. When in reality they probably aren't sweating a bit knowing that they have the two outside opinions under their belt. And a respected reputation.

I respect them even more for not giving into the whole 'well this would be easier on us in the long term' and telling it how it really was and maybe getting a bit of negative press for it.

The funniest part about all of this that DL seems so reasonable about it all and is kind of like welp I guess I did something but not sure what, oh well and yet it's everyone else (me included) who is freaking out about what could have happened and who's to blame or not. I guess we all were pretty damn bored today.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results