shape
carat
color
clarity

Alas, It ''twas my fault

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
That is great to hear as with my jewelry obsession I will probably soon be a customer too and boy am I a picky
@#$%^.
emsmile.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
I just want to give my .03 worth here ...

First ya''ll know I am not a professional and all, but I do have experience with pave.

My original ering had very tiny melee pave on a very dainty, thin band, with cathedral shoulders. It wasn''t Plat, it was 18K WG. Pic below. Now just imagine if you will ... how many times do you notice that you tap or bang the bottom of your ring let say on a desk or counter top? You reaching to grab something? You would be amazed at how many times the bottom of your ring connects with something. Same goes for the rest of your ring. Your ring is rubbing, brushing, pushing, hanging up, it''s always doing something!
My ring had more diamond than metal ... 2 jewelers both told me so. They told me that my ring, if ever fixed, should only be a "dress up" ring. When WF stated that you have holes on every side of your ring and the holes for cleaning, it is going to not be as strong as a setting than let say a non pave ring. I wasn''t what I consider rough with my ring ... I didn''t play sports with it on, wash dishes or clean with it on, I was pretty nice with my ring because the jeweler told me that he had so many problems with wear and women wearing down the lil'' prongs or just breaking the lil'' ol prongs off that held the mele''s in, and othe wear issues. So with that, even though I had my ering examined by 2 independent jewelers stating that the pave was done correctly, I still lost melees~! Then came the day that my ring flew into the metal door, and yes, there is a slight crack, and part of the cathedral shank is bent, and more melee are gone! It doesn''t take much sometimes to damage your ring with "normal" everyday wear when you have more diamond than metal holding it all together. I started paying attention to the other rings that I wear, and I have realized over time how many times a day my ring is in contact with something else, even if it is just lightly ... over time this does add up on pave.

So, I think you can do damage to a pave ring and not neccesarily know it. And then one day your ring just say''s "I can''t do this anymore" and you notice there is something wrong. Anyway, just my .03 worth of my experience.

View attachment joys original ering 1.jpg

TylerKlein

Rough_Rock
Ok, I will lay it out here.

I am sure you all know everything there is to know about the properties of the element Pt........

To list a few physical properties of Pt....
-Boiling Point: 4098K 3825°C 6917°F
-Melting Point: 1773°C
-Density: 21.45g/cc @ 300K
-Hardness Scales:
`Brinell: 392 MN m-2
`Mohs: 3.5
`Vickers: 549 MN m-2

Do you know what Hardness means? Do you know the difference between the scales? Do you know what the measure? If so, I don''t have to tell you, if not, go look it up. Since pure annealed platinum is extremely soft, it is susceptible to scratching and marring. In order to improve hardness, it is alloyed with a variety of other elements such Palladium. If you scartch platinum, it will marr it, but it will not remove any of it like what will happen to gold and silver.

Moving along. I am NOT a JEWELER. I don''t know much about rings, but I can say I probably know more about PLATINUM than most people buying or selling these rings. When used in making tools, electronic parts, rings etc.etc. platinum is designed to bend with an huge ammount of pressure, not break. In those pictures there seems to be stress fractures in the ring. Perhaps there was a mistake in the cooling process to casue the ring to become more brittle. Perhaps there was a mistake in the casting process(which is extremely common). I can say this, for that ring to look like it did, something hit it hard/mashed it and at the same time, there are some manufacturing issues with the ring. I noticed the holes on the band, are these used to set the diamonds or something? Even with the holes, I can''t possibly see the platinum "cracking" like it did. Perhaps I will research it later but I would imagine most jewelers/platinum-smiths don''t see this very often, if they did I would have to call out thier method of crafting such items.

If I knew the exact measurements of the ring, how much platinum was used, what additives were used with the platinum I could tell you how much pressure/force it would take to bend it. It would take a lot more than what someone thinks if the casting/cooling precess was done correctly.(Not saying it is impossible) Now to break it, well I am not sure exactly how to figure that out. Very rarely do you see Pt break. I am still wondering how this happened to a ring...

Like I said, I am not a jeweler, and I don''t know much about rings. Take it or leave it. I am not trying to bash the maker of the ring or the owner of it; it''s just a complex situation.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sitting here feeling bad about my comments in this thread
15.gif
. I had no intentions of accusing anyone and realize that my posts have been taken that way. I am a very skepital person by nature but had no right to impose my feelings here. I have asked the moderators to delete my posts but unfortunatley there is too much response to "fix" it. Please know that my intentions were not to damage or harm the reputation of Whiteflash. Again, I'm so very sorry and hope you all can forgive me
1.gif

maybe I should ban myself from PS..

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 7:55:55 PM
Author: belle

Date: 2/28/2006 7:31:46 PM
Author: mrssalvo

I guess I personlly would not be satified with Wf''s or their outside sources conclusions.
why? because they aren''t saying what you want to hear?
why do you insist on someone making assumptions based on pictures? i guarantee none of the professionals here would make any kind of conclusive statement from pictures. they understand that to make ANY informed opinions they would have to personally inspect the ring. you can hide under the guise of ''unpopular opinion'' if you want but if i were wf, i would consider your continued harassment defamatory and cause for due legal action.
Holy Crap! Those are serious words. I am sure mrssalvo is grateful you are not wf. She is stating her personal opinion about this subject. I don''t hear her speaking with malice or libelous intent. She is simply stating her opinion which she has every right to state.

Heather

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 9:05:27 PM
15.gif
. I had no intentions of accusing anyone and realize that my posts have been taken that way. I am a very skepital person by nature but had no right to impose my feelings here. I have asked the moderators to delete my posts but unfortunatley there is too much response to ''fix'' it. Please know that my intentions were not to damage or harm the reputation of Whiteflash. Again, I''m so very sorry and hope you all can forgive me
1.gif

MrsSalvo ... You don''t need forgiving in my book
emwink.gif
... I didn''t take your thread as abusive or maring to my sensitive psyche ... Stay and let''s just have a glass of wine.
emcocktl.gif

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
15.gif
. I had no intentions of accusing anyone and realize that my posts have been taken that way. I am a very skepital person by nature but had no right to impose my feelings here. I have asked the moderators to delete my posts but unfortunatley there is too much response to 'fix' it. Please know that my intentions were not to damage or harm the reputation of Whiteflash. Again, I'm so very sorry and hope you all can forgive me
1.gif

I think u are being ridiculous now. This is a consumer forum. We are consumers. Opinions are welcome and being somewhat suspicious is a great trait in this day and age.

It is extremely hard to understand where people are comming from anyway with just the written word. Humans communicate using facial/body/ voice tone. All that is absent here. The reader always puts their own spin on what they read. Without face to face communication much can be misunderstood. I personally took great offense to the statement about "girls being unable to solve a problem". As a pretty smart chick yakking with other smart chicks I think we can indeed come up with many answers and always defering to experts is not the only course.
Many great things in this world have come from the little guy questioning the expert.
As I said, I don't think you were being rude at all. And I look forward to your imput on these boards. Have a wine I am mmmmmmm

ALSO READ THAT POST ON PLAT!! US DOUBTER'S MAY BE RIGHT!!! GONNA CALL MY X WHO IS A METALLURGIST!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m waaaayyy late to responding to this thread...but I had to chime in anyway. I agree with Mrs. Darlin'' Joy. We have really high expectations of our rings, I think due to the fact that we think of them as such "forever" things (with the exception of the upgrade club, hee hee), because some of us tend to view precious metals as being durable and lifetime-wearable. I know for myself, I forget sometimes to take my rings off when doing housework, or working out, or whatever...even the occasional knock of my ring against some random hard surface doesn''t really freak me out. Of course, I look at my rings and make sure there''s no immediate problem, BUT, what do I know as a non-expert without a loupe handy to really check things out? (Not that dazed needed a loupe to see her damage.) I had my e-ring for about a year before I noticed one day that I could hear the stone clinking around in its four-prong head. Had the damage JUST happened? Who knows! It could have just happened, but I didn''t remember knocking it into anything, or it could''ve happened over a whole years'' worth of little knocks here and there. Who knows?!

I have one little story I''d like to share that really relates to dazed and WF. Last summer, a good friend of ours with a princess stone in a platinum setting, whose ring was made by the same jeweler as mine, and about 8 of our other friends, lost her stone. Not her whole ring, just the center stone. I never got the chance to see the setting after she lost it, but the next time my husband went to our jeweler a couple weeks later, the jeweler related the story of when she brought her ring (and found diamond, which apparently had a large crack in it). His side of the story was that all four of the prongs were "sheared off," and that he thought she would''ve had to purposely damage it. Her side, without knowing what he told us, was that "it just happened" and she didn''t know how. Without going into further detail, the ending of the story is that after our jeweler challenged her (because she went into it with the attitude that their weak prongs had caused her to lose the stone), so she ended up going to another independent jeweler and having the stone recut, giving it to her sister, and buying a whole other stone from the new jeweler. Just a story to reinforce the fact that, like Mara said earlier, "sh*t happens!"

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
15.gif
. I had no intentions of accusing anyone and realize that my posts have been taken that way. I am a very skepital person by nature but had no right to impose my feelings here. I have asked the moderators to delete my posts but unfortunatley there is too much response to ''fix'' it. Please know that my intentions were not to damage or harm the reputation of Whiteflash. Again, I''m so very sorry and hope you all can forgive me
1.gif

Awww, Mrs. S, I''m sorry you''re feeling bad. I think we all know you well enough to know that you didn''t mean any harm. And, frankly, I didn''t think you did anything wrong. For whatever reason, this has become a very heated thread and I think everyone''s emotions are running high. I told myself that I wasn''t going to participate in this thread again for that very reason, but I did want to offer you my support.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 8:58:59 PM
Author: TylerKlein

I am sure you all know everything there is to know about the properties of the element Pt........

Nope, only know it''s too dang expensive & I can''t afford it!
38.gif

Do you know what Hardness means? Do you know the difference between the scales? Do you know what the measure? If so, I don''t have to tell you, if not, go look it up.
20.gif
Do I have to go look it up?
31.gif

I can say this, for that ring to look like it did, something hit it hard/mashed it and at the same time, there are some manufacturing issues with the ring. Really?! I noticed the holes on the band, are these used to set the diamonds or something? Yup! Even with the holes, I can''t possibly see the platinum ''cracking'' like it did. Why not? It''s a very thin pave band, it''s thinner than mine. 2 jewelers that I visited that specialize in Pave repair said they see many problems with wear issues, and demand from the client that they have to have a ring made a certain way ... even with the jeweler stating their concerns, I like others just had to have something that isn''t really going to stand the test of time versus another type of setting.
Just to give you another .03 worth. Have you ever seen what a pave ring setting looks like with the diamonds not in it? Well, I wished I had a pic of what my ring looks like without half the melee in it ... there is hardly any metal ... I am wondering what is holding it''s shape together myself?! It''s not going to take much to damage a pave ring when you have more diamond than metal.
35.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i do agree as kimberly says its hard to know what is behind the wrritten word.

personally i have been chafing for a while as i feel like so many consumers in general are so quick to blame the problem, whatever it may be, on the vendor or bad craftsmanship or whatever when there could be SO many reasons behind it!!! we only hear half the story on here and whatever people tell us.

i just feel like many times we consumers can be unfair to vendors, not just WF but others. this thread bothered me because DL wasn't even upset yet 10 people were quick to get on board with what seems like 'oh how could WF know for sure what happened and it wasn't your fault' and 'do they run CSI tests'....they run a business people and are good at what they do in their industry, they are not retarded.

mrs s as i said before, i love ya and no need to get dramatic or ban yourself, i would miss you, but i just couldn't sit idly by when i felt like your comments were a little out there in terms of WF as they will hardly ever come in here to actually defend themselves as they always err on the utmost professional. sometimes we can all get a little passionate.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 9:30:03 PM
Author: Mrs Darlin Joy

Date: 2/28/2006 8:58:59 PM
Author: TylerKlein

Nope, only know it''s too dang expensive & I can''t afford it!
38.gif

Do you know what Hardness means? Do you know the difference between the scales? Do you know what the measure? If so, I don''t have to tell you, if not, go look it up.
20.gif
Do I have to go look it up?
31.gif

I can say this, for that ring to look like it did, something hit it hard/mashed it and at the same time, there are some manufacturing issues with the ring. Really?! I noticed the holes on the band, are these used to set the diamonds or something? Yup! Even with the holes, I can''t possibly see the platinum ''cracking'' like it did. Why not? It''s a very thin pave band, it''s thinner than mine. 2 jewelers that I visited that specialize in Pave repair said they see many problems with wear issues, and demand from the client that they have to have a ring made a certain way ... even with the jeweler stating their concerns, I like others just had to have something that isn''t really going to stand the test of time versus another type of setting.
Just to give you another .03 worth. Have you ever seen what a pave ring setting looks like with the diamonds not in it? Well, I wished I had a pic of what my ring looks like without half the melee in it ... there is hardly any metal ... I am wondering what is holding it''s shape together myself?! It''s not going to take much to damage a pave ring when you have more diamond than metal.
35.gif
I agree ...those 3 sided pave without stones is an interesting sight, not alot of metal at all holding those stones in there OR the ring together. Nature of the beast. Beautiful but I always see them as mentally more delicate than anything else.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
15.gif
1.gif

no worries Mate!
Some have been a tad bit harsh to you. I believe that you along with others here are allowed to HAVE and express their opinions.
Why Not mrssalvo- everyone else does.
I thought we were here to discuss things.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 9:39:31 PM
Author: sevens one

15.gif
. I had no intentions of accusing anyone and realize that my posts have been taken that way. I am a very skepital person by nature but had no right to impose my feelings here. I have asked the moderators to delete my posts but unfortunatley there is too much response to 'fix' it. Please know that my intentions were not to damage or harm the reputation of Whiteflash. Again, I'm so very sorry and hope you all can forgive me
1.gif

no worries Mate!
Some have been a tad bit harsh to you. I believe that you along with others here are allowed to HAVE and express their opinions.
Why Not mrssalvo- everyone else does.
I thought we were here to discuss things.
I love a good opinion of course...even when it's not the norm or it goes against the flow. It's not bout that for me. For me it was the phrasing....as I quoted above re: not trusting what they have to say and two other outside sources. Kind of hard to take that in any other way than I did. I totally get a skeptical nature, and maybe that should have been in that same line right before it...maybe it would have been read differently.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 9:57:17 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Is it time to break for beer yet?

Oh well, I''m going ahead anyway...
I''ll take a vodka mojito with grey goose and extra sugar please.

Oh and order some nachos!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 6:25:47 PM
Author: Shay37
OMG, I''m so sorry this happened to you. Thank God for insurance!!!!

I know you said that BF brought you the ring and put it on your finger after your shower. Is it possible that he dropped and stepped on it and just doesn''t want to tell you that? Just a thought. If two different outside sources examined the ring and agree it was damage and not porosity (they have to see it under a microscope I think) that only leaves a couple of options. Not blaming the messenger, just thinking outside the box.

shay
This was my thought too. Haven''t read the entire thread, but it seems like someone has done this (accidentally of course) and it''s not you, or you would remember. Did you have any visitors - roomie, friend, pesky little brother, etc who could have dropped, slammed, put in garbage disposal etc and didn''t have the guts to tell you so just replaced it on your dresser? And then you didn''t notice til after you put it back on and were wearing it for a while?
Gail

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 8:42:43 PM
Author: Mara
They are charging her to remake the ring.

Dazedland didn''t say a peep about this, if I''m not mistaken. I would never have known that they just weren''t comping the fix ... or perhaps giving a discount.

IMO, the MOST important thing is that Dazedland is satisfied with the conclusion, does not seem to be seeking any outside/independent confirmation, and is just happy to get her ring back on her finger as soon as possible.

Personally, I don''t think Mrssalvo was being rude. I think she was being exceptionally careful & thoughtful as usual. If the circumstance was with my ring, I might want to get an independent analysis - not because I doubt the integrity or honesty of whatever vendor I was using, but to ease my own mind & maybe get additional facts.

I''m glad that Dazedland has chosen to post about the experience as even-handedly and maturely as she has ... for the benefit of future pave-craving consumers. Forewarned is forearmed. And apparently ya gotta pay to bling.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco...earlier above it was mentioned that they were waiting for the insurance money to come through so that the ring could be remade..hence I figured they were charging for the ring.
2.gif

TxBlonde

Rough_Rock
MrsSalvo~ I agreed with everything you said. No need to appologize!

I am currently having my ering made by whiteflash and it didn''t make me think any less of them. As far as discussing legal action...that is insane! This is a messageboard.
28.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 9:57:17 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Is it time to break for beer yet?

Heck, I was offering wine earlier ... but I think a big ''ol frosty glass of Black Butte might just hit the spot! What kind of peanuts you want Richard?
18.gif

Oh well, I''m going ahead anyway...

Wait for meeeee!
25.gif
Mara ... have you ever tried the "Rum" mojito''s? I don''t care for Rum ... however, I sipped my hubby''s last month and I thought it actually was pretty darn good. Yes to the extra sugar, or honey!
18.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joy, Rum is the typical way to make them I guess...but I''m not a huge fan of rum!! I tried the vodka at a party last year and it was FABULOUS...the little bit of extra sugar just makes it sweet enough for me and you can''t taste a thing..dangerous and minty!! YUM!

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow, Dazedland. That reeeeeaaaaalllly sucks! But I'm glad you were insured!

I have never purchased anything from Whiteflash, but the fact that they got 2nd and 3rd opinions to me is reassuring, in terms of them wanting to come to the correct conclusion.

My Uncle is an engineer, specializing in metallurgy and corrosion.
He is always going on about how naive we (the general/lay public) are about metals.
Metals are much more fragile than we think, and we do cumulative, microscopic damage to metal every day.

It could have been that there was some stressful (to the metal) motion that DazedLand was engaging in, something that was not at all stressful to her body, but to the molecules of metal. Then there was a whack of some sort- it doesn't even have to be massive, something as simple as bumping into a sink, that caused the metal to fail. It was probably not one incident, but many small ones.

I think that the pave encrusted rings are lovely, but I am a super spaz, as well as being obsessive about wearing the same items every day. A 3 sided pave ring definitely wouldn't make it out alive on my hand.
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 9:11:37 PM
Author: hlmr

I guess I personlly would not be satified with Wf''s or their outside sources conclusions.
why do you insist on someone making assumptions based on pictures? i guarantee none of the professionals here would make any kind of conclusive statement from pictures. they understand that to make ANY informed opinions they would have to personally inspect the ring. you can hide under the guise of ''unpopular opinion'' if you want but if i were wf, i would consider your continued harassment defamatory and cause for due legal action.
Holy Crap! Those are serious words. I am sure mrssalvo is grateful you are not wf. She is stating her personal opinion about this subject. I don''t hear her speaking with malice or libelous intent. She is simply stating her opinion which she has every right to state.

Heather
indeed they are serious words and just like anyone else here...i have every right to state my opinion.
2.gif

things would have been totally different from my view if this was dazedland continually questioning the validity of three serparate examinations, but it wasn''t. dl seemed content with the conclusion. for someone who has never seen the ring or is knowing of the history behind it to continually question the results of those who examined it and go on to suggest others make conclusions based solely on pictures is frivolous and non-productive to say the least. it was not a simple statement of opinion. there were plenty of those. i like mrssalvo very much and mean absolutely no ill will towards her but i thought the intent was more than accusatory.

of course you are not going to ban yourself mrrs! we''re all here to offer our opinions, sometimes the intent is missed and sometimes we just don''t see things the same... no hard feelings either way.
2.gif

defintely time for a beer
embeer.gif

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Also, from the photos WF posted, I see a double curve on the shank.
To my eyes, it looks like the shank was bent a bit one way, and then broke in the other direction. So much like if you take a piece of wire hanger and bend it back and forth until it snaps, it looks like perhaps that is what happened. The shank being bent in one direction is not something you would necessarily notice.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I only checked the thread to see what had been decided about the ring and spent over half and hour reading everyone''s posts.
23.gif

First of all, I just love this place. I continue learned every day here and I can tell you, after reading this I am definitely going to be a LOT more careful.

And I also love that everyone here is so opinionated (a good thing in my book) and inquistive, like me. IMO, it really adds to the learning experience here. However, things seem to be getting a little heated. What on earth was that remark about legal action against Mrs S all about?! I adore mrssalvo and think she is so kind, its a little ridiculous that someone would make a comment about legal action just because she stated her opinion. If that was the case, I''d be drowning in law suits.
23.gif

For the most part, I agree with Mara. Unfortunate events can happen and platinum isn''t indestructable...now if it was titanium, then I''d be very skeptical. In fact, I''ve read that platinum actually bends pretty easily contrary to popular belief. But I don''t really think anyone here is wrong or right, as everyone is entitled to their own opinions. And personally, I would love to know what caused the damage, but I highly doubt we''ll ever know.

dazed, I am glad your ring is being repaired and I am sure it will come back even more gorgeous than you remember!
2.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 10:37:17 PM

embeer.gif

I totally second that.
icon_beer.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
xchick..the interesting thing is that if this ring was titanium, and something happened to it on the finger, the finger would be the one sustaining the trauma because titanium doesn''t bend, esp the aircraft grade stuff. part of why i love that my ring is platinum!! hopefully it will bend and break INSTEAD of my finger going with it!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 10:37:17 PM

Date: 2/28/2006 9:11:37 PM
Author: hlmr

Heather
indeed they are serious words and just like anyone else here...i have every right to state my opinion.
2.gif

things would have been totally different from my view if this was dazedland continually questioning the validity of three serparate examinations, but it wasn''t. dl seemed content with the conclusion. for someone who has never seen the ring or is knowing of the history behind it to continually question the results of those who examined it and go on to suggest others make conclusions based solely on pictures is frivolous and non-productive to say the least. it was not a simple statement of opinion. there were plenty of those. i like mrssalvo very much and mean absolutely no ill will towards her but i thought the intent was more than accusatory.

of course you are not going to ban yourself mrrs! we''re all here to offer our opinions, sometimes the intent is missed and sometimes we just don''t see things the same... no hard feelings either way.
2.gif

embeer.gif
When I read this thread it sounded as if you were in attack mode and very threatening against mrssalvo - not just stating your opinion. Sometimes it helps if a third party gives an opinion as to whether or not she would accept what she is being told about a situation or whether she would feel a need to question it further. mrssalvo has always been helpful to others and didn''t deserve the way she was spoken to IMO.

Heather

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 10:48:37 PM
Author: Mara
xchick..the interesting thing is that if this ring was titanium, and something happened to it on the finger, the finger would be the one sustaining the trauma because titanium doesn''t bend, esp the aircraft grade stuff. part of why i love that my ring is platinum!! hopefully it will bend and break INSTEAD of my finger going with it!
Yes, I worry about Hubby''s titanium ring
32.gif
... Darn metal allergies! In the medical prof. I don''t worry, it''s the other things that he does that the ring might get caught on like working on his sport bike, or ???
23.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results