shape
carat
color
clarity

AJS Gems is closing

I believe in this case we need to attribute my guess to lack of knowledge rather than the presence thereof. I just don’t know of any other term for cabs with a tapered peak.

Nor I! Good guess!!

A cabpeak

lol For real? Well if they weren't called that before, I'm adopting the term now! :D

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s magnificent

Thank you, @Rfisher!

Exquisite setting.

Thank you, @Neptune

So glad this one did not get away!

Yes -- that was the mistake I did not want to repeat. This one scratched an itch and we have let almost everything else slip by since then...:P2

Can you both wear this one as well?

I tried, @Slickk, but it kept getting caught on my sock. No, it's pretty petite. I know there are some men here who could and would rock it with confidence and flair. Alas, I am not one of them.

And the ’Classic Ceylon’…wow.

They did not play this up in the ad at all and I was surprised. I guess it then calls attention to the fact that nothing else is Classic Ceylon? It is cool to have one "Classic [something]." It is not Kashmir-like -- it is vivid but definitely not as vivid as your avatar.

And I understand how sensitive you are to enhanced gem photography, so if you say it's an accurate representation of the stone in person, I know I can trust that. I also love the high, tapered dome (what is it called when a cab comes to a peak?).

Thank you, @Autumn in New England! Yes, I am a stickler for other people's photography! It is vivid in bright sun. Indoors, it will not knock your socks off and is a tad dark. They started faceting gems for a reason, I guess! It's a pretty long light-path to get all the way through this thing! I think the second photo is a good outdoor depiction. The last two close-ups undersell it a little, saturation wise.

AGL calls it a "pyramidal cabochon" which, to me, is a sugarloaf. It has an oval outline and maybe barely-perceptible four-sided tapering? A "real-sugar" sugarloaf is a tall cone with a rounded top but in gems, I think pyramidal.

Why you holding out on us?!

That's a fair question, @ItsMainelyYou! I don't know. Flying under the radar? I posted here because @Rfisher and @Autumn in New England seemed genuinely curious and I half-assumed no one else would see it! =)2

AGL calls it a "pyramidal cabochon" which, to me, is a sugarloaf. It has an oval outline and maybe barely-perceptible four-sided tapering? A "real-sugar" sugarloaf is a tall cone with a rounded top but in gems, I think pyramidal.

@JewelledEscalators and @Avondale We have our answer!

Anyway, beautimous piece, @LilAlex. Please share with us more often... we're interested!! When are you working with Gary Roe again?
jitteryfooguy.gif
Is it obnoxious of me to pry? Forgive me; I'm just a curious (and excitable) sort!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please share with us more often... we're interested!! When are you working with Gary Roe again?
jitteryfooguy.gif
Is it obnoxious of me to pry?

Hahahaha! I think I'm almost outa secrets now, @Autumn in New England! Thanks for your interest! The same goes for you, too, you know!

The toughest thing with Gary Roe is that he seems to be able to do anything -- and I'm not a great problem-solver with zero constraints! :P2 You have to paint me into a corner a little before I get creative! We were just away for our first "real" vacation since well before COVID and spent a lot of time hiking an iconic (to us) trail with a blaze that was a medium-blue bar over a grass-green bar. I would love to find a matching pair of baguettes -- a medium-tone sapphire and emerald or, more realistically, two tourmalines -- to use for a ring to commemorate. I would love to work with Gary again. Not sure Inken wants more homework from me. :lol-2:

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, @Rfisher!

Thank you, @Neptune

Yes -- that was the mistake I did not want to repeat. This one scratched an itch and we have let almost everything else slip by since then...:P2

I tried, @Slickk, but it kept getting caught on my sock. No, it's pretty petite. I know there are some men here who could and would rock it with confidence and flair. Alas, I am not one of them.

They did not play this up in the ad at all and I was surprised. I guess it then calls attention to the fact that nothing else is Classic Ceylon? It is cool to have one "Classic [something]." It is not Kashmir-like -- it is vivid but definitely not as vivid as your avatar.

Thank you, @Autumn in New England! Yes, I am a stickler for other people's photography! It is vivid in bright sun. Indoors, it will not knock your socks off and is a tad dark. They started faceting gems for a reason, I guess! It's a pretty long light-path to get all the way through this thing! I think the second photo is a good outdoor depiction. The last two close-ups undersell it a little, saturation wise.

That's a fair question, @ItsMainelyYou! I don't know. Flying under the radar? I posted here because @Rfisher and @Autumn in New England seemed genuinely curious and I half-assumed no one else would see it! =)2

Classic anything of AGL is something I look for. I have found it on one stone I’m stalking, but it is also not mentioned by the vendor. Pays to read the reports!

The toughest thing with Gary Roe is that he seems to be able to do anything -- and I'm not a great problem-solver with zero constraints! :P2 You have to paint me into a corner a little before I get creative!

I think you're more imaginative than you give yourself credit for (without going overboard, which is important). Have you seen my pieces? lol Fastidiously made, because, well... Inken. But they're also very conventional design-wise.
blusher.gif
I tend to let the gems do the talking, but then I see a ring like your dragonfly and really admire the novelty and originality of it. And the stone still manages to be the focal point, which I appreciate. Perhaps I'll get there.

We were just away for our first "real" vacation since well before COVID and spent a lot of time hiking an iconic (to us) trail with a blaze that was a medium-blue bar over a grass-green bar. I would love to find a matching pair of baguettes -- a medium-tone sapphire and emerald or, more realistically, two tourmalines -- to use for a ring to commemorate.

I like that you draw your inspiration from nature. That's the entire reason I love stones and color. That mother nature creates these precious gems as a byproduct of merely existing, is so enchanting. Anyway! I like this idea!! Green and blue... earth and sky.
1009401sw5xztvj6i.gif

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this idea!! Green and blue... earth and sky

Yes! I told my spouse that I was looking for blue over green for maybe a ring and she asked "How do you remember that?" (since I typically remember nothing) and I said "Sky over grass -- like the landscape" and she said, a little disappointed in herself, "Oh...duh!"

I think Gary will make anything but, if I go this route, I will need help sourcing the stones. That's where Inken comes in...

I am most fascinated by his seamless, good-as-new repairs of damaged old Deco diamond and gemstone bracelets. Almost makes me want to buy a busted bracelet! :P2

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Gem day! Overall, I’m pretty pleased with how well the gems were represented. To my eyes, the color matches the photos quite well (surprisingly well for the pad/sapphire). Tsavorite has a touch more extinction, but I’m pretty used to that for garnets.

(Also pictured, a purple sapphire I got from desertrose)

79430AA8-70BD-40F8-88B1-00A921DEC321.jpeg

Gem day! Overall, I’m pretty pleased with how well the gems were represented. To my eyes, the color matches the photos quite well (surprisingly well for the pad/sapphire). Tsavorite has a touch more extinction, but I’m pretty used to that for garnets.

(Also pictured, a purple sapphire I got from desertrose)

79430AA8-70BD-40F8-88B1-00A921DEC321.jpeg

That is the most PERFECT purple sapphire I've ever seen...

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
To my eyes, the color matches the photos quite well (surprisingly well for the pad/sapphire).

Oh, it's very pretty! And definitely not a pad. :bigsmile: Glad it lives up to expectations. Do you have plans for it?

In the end it was a good thing it went to you. Freed me up to spend a little bit more for something which I hope will be quite special. Still pending, but I'll brag when it arrives.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry guys, but I'm back! I've been dealing with doggie things as of late. Great discussion all the way around even with a couple of sidetracks. ;)2

I've bought a couple of stones from AJS, one of which was a lovely Spinel before prices went through the roof, never to be caught up to again. I know, I didn't keep it because...I'm stupid but is what it is.

That was my first. For what I paid I could never ever get this color again. Not the most perfect stone but it was exceptionally pretty.

I'm sorry guys, but I'm back! I've been dealing with doggie things as of late. Great discussion all the way around even with a couple of sidetracks. ;)2

I've bought a couple of stones from AJS, one of which was a lovely Spinel before prices went through the roof, never to be caught up to again. I know, I didn't keep it because...I'm stupid but is what it is.

arcspinelmahengetanzania.jpg

That was my first. For what I paid I could never ever get this color again. Not the most perfect stone but it was exceptionally pretty.

Beautiful stone... keep hunting... there are still some decent deals to be had in the pink spinel world. Mostly though, I'm just glad our little "tangent" didn't scare you off completely from your own thread! I felt quite guilty about the collateral damage. lol Thanks for bearing with us. Fred and I have since buried the proverbial hatchet and made amends. :)

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock
I purchased a yellow sapphire from AJS that was Lattice Diffused... At the time my budget was quite small and I was aware that many high end B+M stores (like Tiffany etc.) sell LD sapphires so I pulled the trigger... I appreciated the honesty of listed treatment, it was lovely and very much as described. I can't remember who helped me, but they were very accommodating and sent me additional photos / video before I made the purchase. The price was right too. No regrets here ~ disappointed they are closing as I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock
I don't think they do -- that would be bad. And I know they now sell a lot of lower-end trinkets.

This is their "Gem Enhancement Guide." For corundum, looks like there may be some "residue" but I do not see LD.

Since they state in a couple places I just assumed that they may occasionally accept LD hence all the background provided. I see now they break it down per gem classification - thank you for pointing this out! I know many people are very against LD, and understandably so.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Under Commonly Used Enhancements it states: "DIFFUSION The use of chemicals and high temperatures to produce or improve color"

They say that but not under "corundum" in that guide that you (and I) linked.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
So it looks they closed for good, the website is nowhere to be found

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
So it looks they closed for good, the website is nowhere to be found

Yeah, they had a second "going out of business" sale in March this year, after which they did, indeed, close.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results