shape
carat
color
clarity

AJS Gems is closing

Apologies to the other members on this board and thread, especially OP. I am very fond of you all, and I hate to drag down our peaceful community. This entire dialogue is very inappropriate. But I believe fred is overreaching, and questioning my integrity, which is not something I can ignore. So he's either going to have to relent or this thread will have to be closed. Otherwise, this...
smackdownguys.gif
... is going to go on forever. Again, I feel badly that you are all being put in an uncomfortable position. I wish he and I could have discussed this privately.

I only dealt with Ron who was, indeed, very pleasant and professional.

Their prices have indeed risen dramatically over the years, e.g. their rubies, in particular a 3ct heated triangle that magically doubled in price since the last time I checked (probably 1 month ago). Others increased by 60-70% over the last 2-3 months. Then again, other vendors did exactly the same, the situation in Myanmar makes it so any existing inventory appreciates at an alarming rate.

Still said the see them go out of business, the reasons are not publicly disclosed so who knows. But I hear your opinion and truly appreciate the candor, it is essential in a place like this (and anywhere else, really).

Thank you, my friend. :roll: And I'm glad you had a positive experience with AJS! I had many myself. But I felt the need to be truthful about my last few interactions. I'm grateful that fellow members seem to understand where I was coming from. I certainly didn't intend for this to turn into a brawl. I've commented on many posts where folks were sharing purchases from AJS... I congratulated them and moved along. But this was a thread about the company itself, and I thought I could be candid in my response. Apparently, one of us disagrees. lol

I’ve never gotten anything from AJS given my erm, price sensitivity, but have spent many hours drolling over their beautiful stones. Wish the team behind AJS well whatever they may choose to do going forward.

Am going to miss their gemstone articles too!

I agree... their articles were very informative, and I often used them as a resource.

reading%20books.gif

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
It sure does... but I didn't put them out of business, so I have no idea why you felt, and still feel, the need to direct these comments to me. If anything, I helped keep their company going and employees paid with all of the business I gave them over the years. And, judging by Arnold's behavior, that business was not valued or appreciated in the end. Therein lies my disappointment, to which I'm entitled.

You appear to have a vested interest in this matter, which is curious to me, and seems rather personal. But this is a consumer forum. This is exactly what we're supposed to be discussing, as other people have mentioned in this very thread. Also, this is the first negative review of a vendor I've ever given. To then be met with this reproach from you, a present or former trade member? That's troubling to me.

"He may have deserved it." Exactly. And since you are not a party to the transactions, you have zero relevant information to offer on the subject. So for you to start waving fingers at me for relating my personal experience, was meddlesome and arrogant. And I called you on it. Also, it didn't become personal until you accused me of "spurn" and scolded me by saying I should never wish someone out of business for not liking the owner. A. I never said that; and B. Who are are you to reprimand me for an honest comment? This didn't concern you then, and it doesn't concern you now.

And I'm allowed to be bothered by that poor behavior, as a paying customer who was treated badly. Why is it your place to tell me how to feel? This is why your posts are irritating me... especially since you are or were in the trade. I've only ever treated Arnold, and every single other vendor with whom I've worked, with the utmost respect and courtesy. And that's just how I've always treated the members on this board (more on that in a minute).

How passive-aggressive of you to point out! Folks like you mistake kindness for weakness. Didn't think I'd challenge you, because I've been good-natured my entire 10 years on this forum? You were wrong (again). Do you often pat yourself on the back for bringing out people's ire? There's another name for that, and it's called a "troll." I've seen you make some intrusive, unfriendly, and instigating comments in your short time on this forum. Yet, you're the first person I've ever had an issue with in 10 years. I'd say that's a pretty strong track record of MY realness.

You have interpreted what I wrote wrong.

First when I wrote "spurn" I was referring that Arnold spurned you. I could've have spelled it out a little better, that I admit, but that was what I meant. Of course, here is your chance to get a little vindication. So, you did.

My only vested interest in this is having been a gemstone dealer and knowing the pitfalls of the business. I don't like to see anyone out of business as I know people depend on them for a living, whether it is working for them or buying their inventory from source sellers, they need money too. It hurts several people. Maybe that is not readily apparent to you at the moment as you seem quite upset and your dislike for Arnold is obvious.

I have the right to disagree with some of your comments and I never wrote you put them out of business or even remotely thought that. Of course, you didn’t. But I do believe that you feel what comes around goes around, meaning, this news of AJS closing has given you some satisfaction. Your comments spell that out.

"Weakness?" No, you totally missed my point. I was saying everyone is human, including you and Arnold. No more, no less. I hold no contempt for either of you.

In ending I only say this. It is ok to chastise dealers on this forum, but woe be the trade member that says something to a member they don't like

I have no personal dislike for you. I just did not care for some of the things you wrote and called you out on that. You overreacted to the second post I made which was my first reply to you (it was benign) and then it continued to go downhill from there..

Now, I'm through with this as we both have better things to do.

I wish you well.

Last edited:
You could not have interpreted what I wrote more wrong. First when I wrote "spurn" I was referring that Arnold spurned you. I could've have spelled it out a little better, that I admit, but that was what I meant. Of course, here is your chance to get a little vindication. So, you did.

"Sounds like spurn to me. Never wish anyone out of business just because you don't like the owner."

I think I, and everyone else reading this, interpreted your words very clearly. You were admonishing me. And I have no idea what you mean by my "chance for a little vindication." I don't need any vindication. Did you mean to say vindictiveness? lol

My only vested interest in this is having been a gemstone dealer and knowing the pitfalls of the business. I don't like to see anyone out of business as I know people depend on them for a living, whether it is working for them or buying their inventory from source sellers, they need money too. It hurts several people. Maybe that is not readily apparent to you at the moment as you seem quite upset and your dislike for Arnold is obvious.

For the 9th time, I never said I wanted to see Arnold or anyone else go out of business. Did you go out of business? Is that why you're so upset? If so, guess what, also not my fault. But if you antagonized and exasperated buyers in this manner, I wouldn't be surprised.

I have the right to disagree with some of your comments and I never wrote you put them out of business or even remotely thought that. Of course, you didn’t. But I do believe that you feel what comes around goes around, meaning, this news of AJS closing has given you some satisfaction. Your comments spell that out.

Again... a lot of assumptions on your part! Even if that were true, why would it concern you? And why would I be wrong to feel that way? And why would it be your place to tell me I'm wrong for feeling that way?

You have every right to disagree with my opinion. But you don't have a right to tell me how to feel, castigate me for those feelings, or speak on my personal experiences that you know nothing about, which is exactly what you did (or thought you were going to do). In that respect, I'll push back every time.

In ending I only say this. It is ok to chastise dealers on this forum, but woe be the trade member that says something to a member they don't like

You've never gotten that treatment from me, fred (no one has). So, again, take that up with someone else. Also, I can speak to my experiences with AJS. You cannot not. Nor have you and I had any professional dealings for you to speak about as a "trade member." So that is a false equivalency in this case.

I have no personal dislike for you. I just did not care for some of the things you wrote and called you out on that. You overreacted to the second post I made which was my first reply to you and then it continued to go downhill from there..

I reacted very appropriately for having my integrity questioned in your second post, where you tsk-tsked me for wishing someone to go out of business, that of which I never did, and accused me of simply being "spurned." I was not going to allow that in front of a community of folks I respect and admire.

Now, I'm through with this as we both have better things to do.

Well, I do. You? I remain dubious. :wavey:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Let it go.

Just digging a deeper hole. I can see where you an Arnold went south if this is any indication of how you react when someone questions you.

Last I'll speak on this, because it is growing redundant.

Last edited:
Let it go.

Just digging a deeper hole. I can see where you an Arnold went south if this is any indication of how you react when someone questions you.

Last I'll speak on this, because it is growing redundant.

But I thought you had better things to do?! I'm digging a deeper hole... in what respect? lol With you? Oh no, how shall I ever recover!
grins.gif

And you didn't question me. You insulted me... repeatedly. And now you're crying innocent because you can't finish what you started. You think I haven't been challenged on this board before? That comes with the territory of being on social media, and I've always welcomed the discussion. As I said, I've never had a bad word with anyone on this forum in the 10 years I've been a member. You, on the other hand... par for the course.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it was Rung. Sadly the stone sold so apparently I wasn’t the only one eyeing it.

Oh well. I’m not too disappointed, so I guess that says something. It was pretty, though. Hope the new owner loves it.

To take things back on topic…

I hope it wasn’t me! I grabbed a tsav, heliodor, and a pad sapphire that were part of the sale.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a couple of times. I thought the stones I received were “meh” and overpriced. Never bought again. I also thought their photos were inadequate. Always sad to see a business go under though. If they are deeply discounting their stock I may go over and look.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a couple of times. I thought the stones I received were “meh” and overpriced. Never bought again. I also thought their photos were inadequate. Always sad to see a business go under though. If they are deeply discounting their stock I may go over and look.

There are deals on cheap stones (30% on stones worth 1-600$).

Otherwise they offer 40% on all stock if you buy 12+ stones. But since they just doubled their prices, it’s deceptive for the uninformed.

There is one ruby I’ve been looking at for some time, but always found it too expensive for a H(a) - then the price doubled. Even at 40% off, it is more expensive than before.

So in essence, if you found their prices too high, it is even worse now, even if you buy 12+ stones…that’s not an inventory liquidation.

I once returned a stone to a vendor (not AJS) in favor of another in his inventory, funds were limited at the time. I came back 6 months later and the price was 50% higher. I mentioned it and he simply told me that prices had risen. We are talking about a stone that had sat in his inventory for over a decade.

The more I think about it, the more it annoys me

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
and a pad sapphire

Was it the one that was listed at 295, 0,46ct? If yes, you’re the one who got it. :D Didn’t really look like pad to me on the picture but the colour was right in my taste’s ballpark. I’m very curious to know if it’s as represented so please let me know when it arrives and I hope you enjoy it a lot!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
There are deals on cheap stones (30% on stones worth 1-600$).

Otherwise they offer 40% on all stock if you buy 12+ stones. But since they just doubled their prices, it’s deceptive for the uninformed.

There is one ruby I’ve been looking at for some time, but always found it too expensive for a H(a) - then the price doubled. Even at 40% off, it is more expensive than before.

So in essence, if you found their prices too high, it is even worse now, even if you buy 12+ stones…that’s not an inventory liquidation.

I once returned a stone to a vendor (not AJS) in favor of another in his inventory, funds were limited at the time. I came back 6 months later and the price was 50% higher. I mentioned it and he simply told me that prices had risen. We are talking about a stone that had sat in his inventory for over a decade.

The more I think about it, the more it annoys me

I will say AJS has always raised their prices on existing inventory, as opposed to someone like David Weinberg at Multicolor who never has. I even asked Arnold why one time many years ago. I was told just like a house that you bought for $150,000 and now it is worth $200,000. would I sale it for $150,000? Which makes senses if gemstones were houses, but they’re not. The cost of a stones has risen, and they could not replace like quality stones for as cheap as when they first bought the stones in their current inventory at the time. So that was their reasoning.

I must admit, I was not impressed by that argument as the prices of stones had risen (some way more than others) but not to the point that they were raising their prices, as they were already high. I for one never raised the price of my stones unless I paid for an expensive report after listing the original price. Then I'd only add the price of the report.

AJS has always been one of the more expensive dealers out there on the net. Their prices were always higher than many other dealers except Brick-and-Mortar retail. That was the main reason their explanation never set well with me, but a dealer can ask any price they want, especially when they get the name recognition that AJS had/has, you start paying for the name. But the last 5 years with the burgeoning onset of source dealers in the market and smaller dealers popping up in the United State and other countries even the biggest names have felt their impact in pricing. When you can buy the same quality stone for twice to three times less, it is only a matter of time that the huge well-known dealer must meet the competitions prices or lose market share. Of course, they will always be a few exceptions to that, but that is the reality of today’s gemstone market.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone who is good with ‘the wayback machine’ or the like
Would find it easy to tell whether the price raising was done as what I think Fred is saying - is par for the course of his business model.
Vs
Raising the price right before to make up for the discount sale currently going on - which is of course is still a business model. Because - yeah that’s different.

I don’t think a vendor historically raising prices relieves the slimy feeling of a vendor just raising prices a higher percentage than they advertise a website closing sale discount that’s lower than they just raised.

Last edited:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Would find it easy to tell whether the price raising was done as what I think Fred is saying - is par for the course of his business model.
Vs
Raising the price right before to make up for the discount sale currently going on - which is of course is still a business model. Because - yeah that’s different.

I don’t think a vendor historically raising prices relieves the slimy feeling of a vendor just raising prices a higher percentage than they advertise a website closing sale discount that’s lower than they just raised.

I agree.

Raising their prices right before a going out of business sale is an underhanded tactic. I don't follow them much anymore to know how much they raised their prices the last few years but it is not surprising given AJS's history of price gouging.

They've overpriced themselves way out of line with current market and in the past when the market was smaller there was not the competition there is now, and they could get away with it. No more.

Last edited:

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Was it the one that was listed at 295, 0,46ct? If yes, you’re the one who got it. :D Didn’t really look like pad to me on the picture but the colour was right in my taste’s ballpark. I’m very curious to know if it’s as represented so please let me know when it arrives and I hope you enjoy it a lot!

whoooops, yep :whistle:

I haven’t shopped with AJS before, but I figured it was worth a punt. I’ll post when it arrives.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock

I see I've been summoned. Allow me to jump in on the drama. :mrgreen:

So, let's use the small sapphire @JackTrick successfully snatched from under me. :razz:

At the time of purchase the stone was listed for 295$. I have a screenshot of that. With the 30% discount applied, that's 206,50$.

The wayback machine keeps old snapshots of this sapphire dating since 2013. Back then the price was 195$.
That price remained the same all through the rest of the decade when in 2020 it was raised to 245$.
Then in 2021, a year later, it was reduced to 225$.

The wayback machine snapshots in time are as follows:
February 2013 (195)
October 2013 (195)
July 2014 (195)
October 2014 (195)
April 2015 (195)
November 2015 (195)
April 2016 (195)
October 2020 (245)
October 2021 (225)

Last listing - October 2022 (295)

In conclusion, yes, it would appear highly likely that the prices were raised for the purposes of the current discount being offered. This is a typical example of unfair trade practice and unfair competition, and as such is prohibited in the EU.

@JackTrick , the good news from all of this is this particular stone seems to be from the older stock, so fingers crossed in real life it looks exactly like the picture. :dance:

I was looking at this chrysoberyl (probably won't buy it) and found it pretty appealing, in case anyone is looking. I just don't know how much these cost these days...

I viewed this gem a few months back. I was disappointed, as I was searching for true vivid saturation, and it ended up being quite average. At the time, the listing did not mention the bit about it having "neon yellow highlighter color." That was a specific question I asked. After deciding not to purchase, they added that exact language to the listing (and others), which I found odd. I don't think it accurately characterizes the gem either. They also raised the price substantially after my inquiry. Just an FYI!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I viewed this gem a few months back. I was disappointed, as I was searching for true vivid saturation, and it ended up being quite average. At the time, the listing did not mention the bit about it having "neon yellow highlighter color." That was a specific question I asked. After deciding not to purchase, they added that exact language to the listing (and others), which I found odd. I don't think it accurately characterizes the gem either. They also raised the price substantially after my inquiry. Just an FYI!

You saw it in person?
(Just for clarification)

I, too, am happy to see the thread back on track and others joining in... thank you for that. :roll:

M

maru8888777

That's really good to know! I seriously considered it, but didn't have the funds at the time (thankfully), then moved to something else.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Looked at stones on the site for which I am more familiar with prices and it’s still way overpriced. Even with 30% discount. That plus knowing that prices were raised before the “sale” means I’ll be skipping this “sale”.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I see I've been summoned. Allow me to jump in on the drama. :mrgreen:

So, let's use the small sapphire @JackTrick successfully snatched from under me. :razz:

At the time of purchase the stone was listed for 295$. I have a screenshot of that. With the 30% discount applied, that's 206,50$.

The wayback machine keeps old snapshots of this sapphire dating since 2013. Back then the price was 195$.
That price remained the same all through the rest of the decade when in 2020 it was raised to 245$.
Then in 2021, a year later, it was reduced to 225$.

The wayback machine snapshots in time are as follows:
February 2013 (195)
October 2013 (195)
July 2014 (195)
October 2014 (195)
April 2015 (195)
November 2015 (195)
April 2016 (195)
October 2020 (245)
October 2021 (225)

Last listing - October 2022 (295)

In conclusion, yes, it would appear highly likely that the prices were raised for the purposes of the current discount being offered. This is a typical example of unfair trade practice and unfair competition, and as such is prohibited in the EU.

@JackTrick , the good news from all of this is this particular stone seems to be from the older stock, so fingers crossed in real life it looks exactly like the picture. :dance:

iiiiiinteresting! I checked the other things I picked up, and the tsav was first listed in 2021 for the same price, and the heliodor in 2016 for a higher price.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Pricing at expected replacement cost + margin makes sense - in this market - if competition does the same AND if the margin is fair and relatively stable. It also requires relatively fast turnover. This is an “old trader” strategy and in this day of hightened transparency and information, I don’t think it works well if your inventory is sitting since year. It feels instead like a lame attempt at increasing prices hoping to capitalize on the fact demand is higher. The quality of the inventory has not changed though. It is basically just a margin bump.

That’s just my opinion, of course

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results