shape
carat
color
clarity

AJS Gems is closing

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Pricing at expected replacement cost + margin makes sense - in this market - if competition does the same AND if the margin is fair and relatively stable. It also requires relatively fast turnover. This is an “old trader” strategy and in this day of hightened transparency and information, I don’t think it works well if your inventory is sitting since year. It feels instead like a lame attempt at increasing prices hoping to capitalize on the fact demand is higher. The quality of the inventory has not changed though. It is basically just a margin bump.

That’s just my opinion, of course

I am not saying that AJS did this, but it is not unheard of, and some vendors openly disclose this pricing mechanism

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never bought from them because while when I first joined PS the prices were high, over the years they have increased to levels I might consider "delusional," while they seem to have mostly the same gems in stock that weren't moving at the previous prices. And they really don't offer pictures/videos that seem to me like they'd accurately reflect the color of the gem, which they should for the price they're charging.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
iiiiiinteresting! I checked the other things I picked up, and the tsav was first listed in 2021 for the same price, and the heliodor in 2016 for a higher price.

I too have found that something I had my eye on is the same price as it was a few months ago.

Heated 5.05ct.

Unheated 2.01ct.

Not that I think these prices necessarily represent true market value, but still... :!:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I noticed on their website it says they are closing their website, but it doesn’t necessarily say they are going out of business. They will still have a ton of inventory to sell..what will they do with it? Maybe they are moving to different selling format, like trade shows or Instagram.
9C42E743-C674-45D9-9D7E-A71092D12529.jpeg

I bought a few stones in 2014 and 2015 that were reasonably priced, but they also weren’t top color or cut all that well. I haven’t bought anything since up until this sale. I did grab one stone that seemed like a good deal. I hope it looks as nice in person as it does in their picture.

Sorry you were treated so poorly @Autumn in New England !

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Heated 5.05ct.

Unheated 2.01ct.

Not that I think these prices necessarily represent true market value, but still... :!:

These price are crazy :D Still, rubies are significantly more expensive higher than 1 year ago. There was another thread were I was being lectured about ruby pricing. I stand my ground, there is nothing fine (= vivid red of medium tone, no orange modifier, not too pink/purple, with fluorescence, eye clean, well cut, etc. etc.) below 10k/ct above the 1ct mark. Fluorescent Mozambican rubies are at that level by now, and Burmese are just through the roof. I am not considering iron rich Mozambican rubies, these to me are a bit like glorified garnet, but at 20x the price

These price are crazy :D Still, rubies are significantly more expensive higher than 1 year ago. There was another thread were I was being lectured about ruby pricing. I stand my ground, there is nothing fine (= vivid red of medium tone, no orange modifier, not too pink/purple, with fluorescence, eye clean, well cut, etc. etc.) below 10k/ct above the 1ct mark. Fluorescent Mozambican rubies are at that level by now, and Burmese are just through the roof. I am not considering iron rich Mozambican rubies, these to me are a bit like glorified garnet, but at 20x the price

I recall the thread, and I agree with you on all counts. ;-)

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Just to give people hope, I did come across someone who was selling a 1ct+ unheated burmese ruby (red not pink) in an antique ring for 5k (GBP).

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I noticed on their website it says they are closing their website, but it doesn’t necessarily say they are going out of business. They will still have a ton of inventory to sell..what will they do with it? Maybe they are moving to different selling format, like trade shows or Instagram.

Yes I was thinking the same too.

@2Neezers Thank you, my friend.
1237379fdqxrvb3f5.gif
I realize there are much greater injustices in the world (!), but it is dismaying when you've been a loyal, paying customer for years, and always treated them with respect and deference. I've never had an issue with a gem or jewelry company before or since, and I'm a prolific buyer. As was mentioned earlier, the staff at AJS was lovely to work with, but the owner is known in the industry as oftentimes being ill-tempered. And I must have caught him on one of his very worst days. Anyway, I'm
gallery_25881_207_341.gif
at this point.

All of that aside, I still have gems I purchased from AJS that I cherish to this day. Not sure if you saw my emerald-cut grape garnet? That was from them, and I'd by lying if I said it wasn't one of my favorite stones. Now, did I overpay? Possibly!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a peek after seeing this thread, and with the warning from @Autumn in New England in mind. I had checked out AJS maybe annually, on average, and never got too excited -- but there was a lot of inventory so it was a nice pseudo-benchmark for Imperial Topaz and some other random things I had little pricing information on. But the prices were so high in the midst of this "sale" that I inferred that they must have been jacked up in anticipation. I have no knowledge of this but it turned me off completely.

I understand why vendors do this. The used (I mean pre-owned) watch market seems to fluctuate like the spot price of gold :cool2:. I have always liked that Lang does not do that -- early-COVID, I pulled the trigger on something after stalking it for five years. ("Ah, you only live once!") The price was still the same. A higher-end B&M place that I loved also would never raise prices -- even after a decade (of course, they were aiming pretty high at the outset!)

The used (I mean pre-owned) watch market seems to fluctuate like the spot price of gold :cool2:. I have always liked that Lang does not do that -- early-COVID, I pulled the trigger on something after stalking it for five years. ("Ah, you only live once!")

I don't want to derail the thread (again... lol), but have you shared this piece previously? It must be noteworthy if you were ogling it for 5 years, and my curiosity is piqued!
player.gif

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't want to derail the thread (again... lol), but have you shared this piece previously? It must be noteworthy if you were ogling it for 5 years, and my curiosity is piqued!
player.gif

Ugh! Here goes. My turn to derail? No, I never posted about this but I have mentioned the "stalking" process in a thread or two.

Maybe it was only four years, tbh?

I always admired it online. I thought it was "fairly priced" although out of reach for us -- cost-wise and common-sense-wise. I checked in on it a few times a year and it was always still there (?!). I thought someone would buy it for sure -- even to wreck it and cut a faceted sapphire that they could easily sell for more than this ring. And I truly thought "no one will ever make a ring like this again" -- any sapphire of that size and quality would be heated and cut. I think it has to be facet-grade or nearly facet grade, although perhaps dark for rough. Ultimately, I felt that maybe the lack of bling factor -- just a couple invisible diamonds -- made it a non-starter for most folks shopping in this price range. So I slowly convinced myself that I needed to rescue it from ruin. Cool stone, cool all-original Art Deco mounting and Greek key motif and...

Then two things happened. Spouse and I missed out on a cute little jade ring that we were shown in a shop. It was unisex and fit us both (on different fingers, of course). We have trained each other to play it cool in front of staff when we like something in a retail environment with fluid pricing -- cars, etc. So we got back to our car and I said, "I really loved that ring." And she said (paraphrasing), "OMG! So did I!!." And we each said, "Well, why didn't you say something???" So I said I'd call the next day and we were both super-busy with work so maybe it was another day or two...and it was gone. Not heartbreak (more of an "Oh well") but a missed opportunity that I regretted. And then COVID happened and the world was ending and the market was tanking and Lang had their first-ever sale and so we took the plunge on this one.

First photo is from the listing. Others are from their SA (Emily, I think), on her petite hand. The last one is transilluminated from behind -- just to show the cool silk; it is not a "star" although maybe in another life it could have had a weak star (?). It's AGL untreated and "Classic Ceylon" designation. Few small naturals or deep abrasions on the dome but pretty pristine.

Top photo maybe oversells it a little. Second photo is what I see. It is definitely dichroic -- with a hint of ocean-y green when viewed from only one side. It is very crystalline-looking -- I see no silk from above but it is there, as can be seen from the transillumination.

We had even visited it in person over the years -- we used to get to the Bay Area when a kid was living there. Seemed a little dark in the shop. It is awesome in outdoor daylight. I guess it's a "garden party" ring but that is not part of our lifestyle :cool2:. It is a tad too small and we expected to get back there for re-sizing but never did (waiting for this COVID thing to end). So she has never actually worn it...yet!

Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 9.18.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 9.20.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 9.21.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 9.22.28 PM.png

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Ugh! Here goes. My turn to derail? No, I never posted about this but I have mentioned the "stalking" process in a thread or two.

I always admired it online. I thought it was "fairly priced" although out of reach for us -- cost-wise and common-sense-wise. I checked in on it a few times a year and it was always still there (?!). I thought someone would buy it for sure -- even to wreck it and cut a faceted sapphire that they could easily sell for more than this ring. And I truly thought "no one will ever make a ring like this again" -- any sapphire of that size and quality would be heated and cut. I think it has to be facet-grade or nearly facet grade, although perhaps dark for rough. Ultimately, I felt that maybe the lack of bling factor -- just a couple invisible diamonds -- made it a non-starter for most folks shopping in this price range. So I slowly convinced myself that I needed to rescue it from ruin. Cool stone, cool all-original Art Deco mounting and Greek key motif and...

Then two things happened. Spouse and I missed out on a cute little jade ring that we were shown in a shop. It was unisex and fit us both (on different fingers, of course). We have trained each other to play it cool in front of staff when we like something in a retail environment with fluid pricing -- cars, etc. So we got back to our car and I said, "I really loved that ring." And she said (paraphrasing), "OMG! So did I!!." And we each said, "Well, why didn't you say something???" So I said I'd call the next day and we were both super-busy with work so maybe it was another day or two...and it was gone. Not heartbreak (more of an "Oh well") but a missed opportunity that I regretted. And then COVID happened and the world was ending and the market was tanking and Lang had their first-ever sale and so we took the plunge on this one.

First photo is from the listing. Others are from their SA (Emily, I think), on her petite hand. The last one is transilluminated from behind -- just to show the cool silk; it is not a "star" although maybe in another life it could have had a weak star (?). It's AGL untreated and "Classic Ceylon" designation. Few small naturals or deep abrasions on the dome but pretty pristine.

Top photo maybe oversells it a little. Second photo is what I see. It is definitely dichroic -- with a hint of ocean-y green when viewed from only one side. It is very crystalline-looking -- I see no silk from above but it is there, as can be seen from the transillumination.

We had even visited it in person over the years -- we used to get to the Bay Area when a kid was living there. Seemed a little dark in the shop. It is awesome in outdoor daylight. I guess it's a "garden party" ring but that is not part of our lifestyle :cool2:. It is a tad too small and we expected to get back there for re-sizing but never did (waiting for this COVID thing to end). So she has never actually worn it...yet!

Exquisite setting.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LilAlex I absolutely love it! Everything about your ring is exquisite. Thanks for sharing and so happy you took the plunge on this one!! Can you both wear this one as well?

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock

Love it! Great story. And the ’Classic Ceylon’…wow. Thank you for sharing your beauty.

@LilAlex I agree... I was totally enthralled in your buying tale! Wow, the color is spectacular, especially for unheated!! And I understand how sensitive you are to enhanced gem photography, so if you say it's an accurate representation of the stone in person, I know I can trust that. I also love the high, tapered dome (what is it called when a cab comes to a peak?). The clarity looks excellent to my eyes, and I think the mounting is rather unisex. Will you have it resized so you can wear it as well as your DW (on a different finger)? Also, do you know the carat weight? It must be huge!
smitten.gif

I always thought sugarloafs were cabs with 4 distinct sides and a peak, like this:

5f3a58c5628ac.jpg

But I just looked it up, and indeed high-dome, tapered cabs are also sometimes referred to as sugarloafs. So thank you, @Avondale! :idea:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results